IGNORED

Tickets Are Just Too Expensive

Barrs Court Red

I've been trying to arrange for a group of mates, mainly non City fans to attend the Tranmere game. Unfortunately non really fancy forking out £19 to watch division 3 football.

Now I know this seems to be near on par for this division in terms of price, but considering the size of our stadium would it not make more sense to try and fill the thing, using lower prices would certainly go along way to achieving this.

Is this just my mates being fussy, or have others had the same problem when trying to persuade mates to a match, only to be turned down because of price.

Just to add..

With all this crap like £18, £21 etc..

You hear that and it puts you off.

I said to my mate the other week, fancy coming to the football....£21...bugger off.

If it was 'a tenna' he would come, as would half a dozen others probably.

Surely a full stadium at £10 is better than what we have now.

Cos' lets be honest, £21 for League 1 football is shocking.

I've been trying to arrange for a group of mates, mainly non City fans to attend the Tranmere game. Unfortunately non really fancy forking out £19 to watch division 3 football.

Now I know this seems to be near on par for this division in terms of price, but considering the size of our stadium would it not make more sense to try and fill the thing, using lower prices would certainly go along way to achieving this.

Is this just my mates being fussy, or have others had the same problem when trying to persuade mates to a match, only to be turned down because of price.

cost is a major concern for me mate, - had to make serious cutbacks the last few years & as family & other commitments have to take priority afraid 'live' football has had to take a serious back seat ... coupled with the dire atmosphere & ott rules & regs its also quite sad when I do get down there & remember what it used to be... really is a downer, & no doubt many many others are in same financial circumstances & sat at home with S S News on telly & Radio Bris on the erm, radio! .. I can see no reason at all to price things in such a way as to have half your capacity empty, - supply & demand rules every other type of business, what wrong with Stack Em High -Sell Em Cheap?.... with knock on benefits of increased sales - in other merchandise. If people aint there , they aint buying!... As it stands we (City) along with other clubs who have regular spare capacity are not making best use of an asset we should be using to our advantage... a heaving fortress AG may well have helped to get us the elusive promotion some time ago, (so how much has that cost?) ..Obviously with success the balance of supply & demand would swing & prices would rightly reflect that.. in the meantime I feel many people who wouldve went to football & become regulars for years to come may very well due to costs never have attended & therefore have not caught 'the bug'. Sorry fo rambling badly written post - I'm in a real hurry & rushing ... so Byeeeeee >>>>> gone!

I agree that pricing for football all across England is a disgrace (check out France and Germany costs - about 10euro for a top division game).

However, looking back years ago - early 90s say - when pricing was far more reasonable, our gates were no higher than they are now. And most clubs around the country had lower gates back then too. Why didn't these part time fans go back then??

I agree that pricing for football all across England is a disgrace (check out France and Germany costs - about 10euro for a top division game).

However, looking back years ago - early 90s say - when pricing was far more reasonable, our gates were no higher than they are now. And most clubs around the country had lower gates back then too. Why didn't these part time fans go back then??

It is hard to compare gates from the 80's and early 90's as football and it's culture was far different to now. For starters it wasn't half as fashionable.

It is hard to compare gates from the 80's and early 90's as football and it's culture was far different to now. For starters it wasn't half as fashionable.

Ok, agree to a certain extent that's difficult to compare eras so simplistically. However, is football really that much more fashionable now or is that Sky (and others with vested interests) tell us that is it? Somewhere in between I would guess.

I realise many people would've been put off going to football in the 70s/80s due to hooliganism etc. Looking at it the other way though, there are people put off going today due to the lack of atmosphere and perceived gentrification of the game.

Going back to the original point, I'm sure if the club cut the prices (to a tenner, say) there would be an increase in the gate, though not by a huge amount (a couple of thousand maybe) However, I don't think it would last for long and after 3 or 4 games we would have roughly the same gates as before.

Same here with my mates. A friend of mine has flown twice with Easy Jet to Barcelona and got in each time for £12.00. Both attendances were about 65k and he was watching world class players.

We all went to Villa and paid £24.

I just don't see how clubs like ours can be skint in this comparison!

MM

Sorry to put my economist hat on but its all about elasticity of demand.

If City lowered prices slightly it would only encourage a couple of hundred extra 'floaters' to the game, this would be negated by the loss in revenue from all the other pay on the day fans....also it would lead to discontent amongst season ticket holders!!

Anyway, we need to wait until we are playing better football before we showcase to the fairweather 'fans'...we havent played well since the Crewe game imho..

If City lowered prices slightly it would only encourage a couple of hundred extra 'floaters' to the game, this would be negated by the loss in revenue from all the other pay on the day fans....also it would lead to discontent amongst season ticket holders!!

Anyway, we need to wait until we are playing better football before we showcase to the fairweather 'fans'...we havent played well since the Crewe game imho..

So by such reasoning. The demand generated by ST holders is inelastic as we 'cant live without City'..

Lets hope they don't just scrap STs and whack up the prices to £60 a game!

Afterall, the % lost in attendance wont be anywhere near the % gain in revenue.

:w00t::whistle2:

think we're bad? - my saghead mate's paying £22 to watch the mansfield game tonight - city are not alone in ripping their fans off!

Ain't the Gas playing Hereford? Think it costs £14 to stand behind the goal at the Mem now.

In any case, I think everyone agrees that prices across England, whatever league you're in, are far far too much. The original point (which I half disagreed with) was that lowering the prices would significantly increase gates.

I agree, I believe that we will generate more revenue by raising the prices. But my old man pays for me so that probably explains my stance!!

This is genius.

I'll email Sextoy immediately..

Oh darn. They don't reply to us mere fans do they.

Oh well let them continue to make losses.

:englandsmile4wf:

Wigan Athletic are having a problem with falling gates (no jokes please!) and knowing the importance of having a large support are dropping their prices across the board for their last few (not sure how many) home games.

They feel that with a bigger crowd cheering them on, they are more likely to avoid relegation.

I'm not convinced higher prices result in more of a profit, and it is hard to predict the offset if that was to occur.

Call me niave, but in a time when people from all over England and the world are making the south west a prime destination, would it not make sense to be abit more aggresive in trying to get people into the stadium?

A group ticket, with prices coming down for every extra person in the group would be a start?

I wonder how successful our half season tickets are?

Forget the league position for a moment and hand on heart can you say any match in the first half of the season has been that memorable? Last season we didn't even start playing until after Xmas.

So would people be better off picking and choosing their matches and taking advantage of the offers and Quid a Kid / Free entry type deals?

Yes, very good.

It cost me 2 quid to buy 2 tickets whilst having £40 from them (expecting change).

I think that makes the point very well.

Ah, but if I offered to take a lady to dinner, assuming she accepted, two things would happen...(A) I wouldn't be expecting her to pay, and (B) my mrs would get the 'ump.

Why not take them to the Brighton JPT game ? Its only £9 if you book in advance, and if they have a good night they might not mind forking out full price next time for a league game.

It's my 25th that day, long story but our first option was called off so as City were at home it made sense to do that.

same problem. nobody wants to fork out £19 for crap football. I have been to most game this season home and away and only 3 or 4 have stood out as being worth watching.

Considering you could have watched Chelsea for £15 the other day in a premier league game I think our prices are far too much.

I had an email the other day from City saying that there are limited (1000) tickets available for the Huddersfield game on the 10th Feb at a discounted rate - £12. I know attendances are down all over the country but I don't think we have been affected that badly in comparison so I think this is a good offer from the club - maybe with the exception of limiting the numbers - I mean AG will not sell outfor that one.

Totaly agree with what you are saying about floaters and season tickets holders. Don't mind fivehundreed extra on homegames due to lower prices but to make it possible season ticket holders must be given something like preseason seminars with players to make them feel special. Not a fortune. Until then kid campaigns is the best the club can do.

Cost is a big issue for a lot of casual fans. I have tried very hard so far this season in getting as many mates along as possible to help the atmosphere but when the game has no special offers attached to it, it is embaressing trying to sell the product at that price. Somehow you end up trying to justify to a student that £16 to watch a league 1 match at this current state is a good investment which ofcourse I wholeheartedly disagree with!

Archived