IGNORED

Johnson happy with current squad?

SimplyRed

No, never happy with dropping points at home, but all teams do it, if you look the table and the win, draw and losses compared to other teams in this league, I can't see how anyone can seriously complain about our form

1 S****horpe United 26 14 7 5 38 20 18 49

2 Oldham Athletic 26 14 6 6 45 21 24 48

3 Nottingham Forest 26 14 6 6 35 25 10 48

4 Bristol City 26 13 7 6 35 25 10 46

5 Yeovil Town 26 12 9 5 34 23 11 45

6 Swansea City 26 12 6 8 42 29 13 42

we have won, one less game that the top we and lost one more than the top team, and drawn only one more than anyone.

looking at the top 5 in this league, this league is WIDE OPEN

Very good stats however these do not mean anything unless your in the top 2 come the end.

Its all about the winning mentality. How many games have we drawn at home in the last 5?

Very good stats however these do not mean anything unless your in the top 2 come the end.

Its all about the winning mentality. How many games have we drawn at home in the last 5?

yep, and we are 4th with that record, despite having most of the season without key players, they are now all fit.

how many in the last 5? 2 in the last 5, 3 ALL SEASON! we have the best home record in the league! (2nd best home record in the country!) and your moaning about a draw at home, 3 days after our last game and on boxing day, being a city fan you have to learn something we never do well on Boxing Day, it's a Bristol City tradition

no one has more points at home than season than us! and you moan about lack of ambition at home

if you were moaning about our away form you would have a valid point

"...They're keeping their options open, as people do during the transfer window. If we get them in that's great, if we don't then I'm happy with this group of players."

Some ambition, eh? :whistle2::disapointed2se:

Prize for most naive City 'fan' goes to Simply Red...

Seriously, how thick do you have to be??

:pacifier:

Sarcasm is unnecessary in order to make your point.

You are unbelievable! 'Sarcasm is unnecessary'??!!

Please tell me what you said in post number one of this thread... 'Some ambition, eh???'

In the knowledge that people like you support City, it really makes me question my own passionate support for BCFC.

If this forum wasn't so strictly moderated, I'd have some choice words for you my son.

• Admin
Sarcasm is unnecessary in order to make your point.

Of course he's not going to say that, but what's wrong with putting on record that you would be disappointed if you couldn't get anybody in to improve the squad during the Window?

Let's face it, his dealings with the Transfer Window last year wasn't much to shout home about, and now he's preparing the punters for disappointment in case he fails again!

I don't think you'll find one fan that would say our squad is complete and everyone has their own idea what sort of player(s) we need, but for Johnson to go on record saying he would be happy to see out the season with the current squad is, at least, questionable and possibly encouraging a negative outlook.

Because it is obvious he would be disappointed?

Equally he didn't say he wouldn't be disappointed. He merely stated a belief that his current players were good enough regardless to continue the aim of promotion if needs must rather than admitting that they might not be up to it and risking a change in the mood of the squad.

I'm sorry SR but again you seem to want to find ways to criticise GJ and will take whatever tenuous scraps you can find.

Because it is obvious he would be disappointed?

Equally he didn't say he wouldn't be disappointed. He merely stated a belief that his current players were good enough regardless to continue the aim of promotion if needs must rather than admitting that they might not be up to it and risking a change in the mood of the squad.

I'm sorry SR but again you seem to want to find ways to criticise GJ and will take whatever tenuous scraps you can find.

Whereas you seem to want to find ways to praise GJ and will take whatever tenuous scraps you can find.

Mr Johnson is our manager.

Never had the chance to manage a club of our size.

Is he doing ok?

Well sort of.

Will he get found out.YES

Can he deal in the transfer market.............NO

Playoffs at best, sorry

Mr Johnson.

Never had the chance to manage a club of our size - irrelevant

Is he doing ok? - Yes, results SO FAR show he has done a good job so far.

Will he get found out. - To early to tell, question itself needs defining (to say yes, is just a embrassing personal cheapshot)

Can he deal in the transfer market - quite obviously yes, he has managed to get shot of a lot of players who performed badly and replaced them with a number of players who have got us higher in the league, some excellent signings with VERY LITTLE spent

End of Season Finish - Who knows, Play-offs is acceptable for a manager in his first season in charge at the club.

personally your overall comments seem more of a cheap pop at the manager because he released former player who was a friend of the family, not a fair review of a manager that has done a good job so far.

Johnson ain't going to say anything else even if he had four signings lined up for 9 o'clock tomorrow morning. It wouldn't make sense to.

That said, this squad is two or three players short of automatic promotion right now and I won't be happy if we come out of January without having addressed at least one and hopefully two or three of the obvious shortfalls.

Mr Johnson.

Never had the chance to manage a club of our size - irrelevant

Is he doing ok? - Yes, results SO FAR show he has done a good job so far.

Will he get found out. - To early to tell, question itself needs defining (to say yes, is just a embrassing personal cheapshot)

Can he deal in the transfer market - quite obviously yes, he has managed to get shot of a lot of players who performed badly and replaced them with a number of players who have got us higher in the league, some excellent signings with VERY LITTLE spent

End of Season Finish - Who knows, Play-offs is acceptable for a manager in his first season in charge at the club.

personally your overall comments seem more of a cheap pop at the manager because he released former player who was a friend of the family, not a fair review of a manager that has done a good job so far.

Please enlighten me - who has he got rid of who was performing badly ( as opposed to about the same as the rest of the squad ).

And who are the excellent signings ( as opposed to fairly average div 3 players ).

It is not his first season ( although it is his first complete season ) - for heavens sake he had the whole of last season minus about 7 league games !

His transfer activity has been poor at every club he has managed - that is a factual statement which can be justified statistically. How have Yeovil done since he brought their " best " players to AG and his successor replaced them ????????????

I've repeatedly made the point that the dilemna the club faces with regard to acquisitions at this time revolves more around planning and finance rather than the desire to add new players.

Of our current squad only 2 or 3 have the capability to make an impact at the next level,a further 1 or 2 would have sufficient quality to be part of the squad.G.J. has recently been making more noises about the lack of style and flair which of course has been apparent in the over-all entertainment value this season.Those that possessed either a pedigree or greater footballing touch were exited in pretty quick fashion along with a degree of leaked information relating to salary details.Cotterill,the last with a golden touch left for different reasons,yet the timing was disastrous leaving us with no time to react.

S.L. & G.J. know full well that the average wage of a championship player is 2.5 times that of our current structure,so the calibre of players that we really need remain out of our reach whilst we do not know our fate.Unlike for instance Slade ,G.J. has found loan signings a pretty unproductive route. Yet he realises bringing in more of pretty much the same on permanent transfers,generally players of this level or the one below offers no real improvement over what is availabe,therefore thats why he is also saying "I'm happy with what I'Ve got".

Hence one big dilemna.......

Please enlighten me - who has he got rid of who was performing badly ( as opposed to about the same as the rest of the squad ).

And who are the excellent signings ( as opposed to fairly average div 3 players ).

It is not his first season ( although it is his first complete season ) - for heavens sake he had the whole of last season minus about 7 league games !

His transfer activity has been poor at every club he has managed - that is a factual statement which can be justified statistically. How have Yeovil done since he brought their " best " players to AG and his successor replaced them ????????????

players he's got shot off who weren't doing much for City, Clayton Fortune, Grant Smith, Micheal Bridges, Steve Gillespie, Marcus Stewart, Jamie Smith, players who most of which were on decent money but with little return on the field.

first full, pre-season to finish was what I meant, he came in on city's 10th league game, almost a quarter of the season gone and had to resolve underlying problems at the club and deal with internal clubs problems, and certain event happened after his 3rd game in charge which had massive effects on the team and club.

I would love to see these statistics that prove his transfer activity to be so bad? I'm guessing all the players that got Yeovil promoted from the conference to League 1 were already at the club? How Yeovil have done this season is nothing to do with Johnson and is 100% down to the current manager you say this but we only actually signed 2 players from Yeovil at the start of this season and one 1 of which has played so far?

His transfer dealings at city have been very good, McCombe, McAllister, Johnson, Enoch, Fontaine have all played key roles in our season so far getting us to this current position and are better than the players they replaced in their position

Heywood v MCombe = Mcombe much better

McAllister v Woodman - McAllister better

Johnson v Wilkshire - Wilkshire (but if we could have kept LW we would have)

Enoch v Bridges/Stewart - Enoch - scored goals early season despite the team playing badly (regardless of MB/MS rep, they didn't perform, Enoch has)

Fontaine v Fortune - no brainer - Fontaine

Noble v Grant Smith - Noble - has shown himself to be a decent player (when played!)

personally just using those examples apart from Wilkshire (City would have tried to keep but stood no chance) he has signed players who have played well and actually performed, not players who promised lots, but didn't perform, the fact be know player for player that has gone and has come in the new signings have done the business, SO FAR

but it's too early to judge anyone, let alone to be constantly belating on since September that Johnson will fail/be gone by XMAS/EASTER/END OF SEASON

the fact is Johnson has done fairly well so for, and for some personal reason you don't seem to like it?

yep, and we are 4th with that record, despite having most of the season without key players, they are now all fit.

how many in the last 5? 2 in the last 5, 3 ALL SEASON! we have the best home record in the league! (2nd best home record in the country!) and your moaning about a draw at home, 3 days after our last game and on boxing day, being a city fan you have to learn something we never do well on Boxing Day, it's a Bristol City tradition

no one has more points at home than season than us! and you moan about lack of ambition at home

if you were moaning about our away form you would have a valid point

But we HAVE drawn five of our last eight league games with three good wins - 14 points. We'd have been better off winning five and losing three! I do believe the squad we have is capable of playing some great attacking football but we have been a very cautious team. I think that has been down in some part to Lee Johnson playing so deep. It is noticeable that lately he is getting further forward which is beginning to make a difference.

I've repeatedly made the point that the dilemna the club faces with regard to acquisitions at this time revolves more around planning and finance rather than the desire to add new players.

Of our current squad only 2 or 3 have the capability to make an impact at the next level,a further 1 or 2 would have sufficient quality to be part of the squad.G.J. has recently been making more noises about the lack of style and flair which of course has been apparent in the over-all entertainment value this season.Those that possessed either a pedigree or greater footballing touch were exited in pretty quick fashion along with a degree of leaked information relating to salary details.Cotterill,the last with a golden touch left for different reasons,yet the timing was disastrous leaving us with no time to react.

S.L. & G.J. know full well that the average wage of a championship player is 2.5 times that of our current structure,so the calibre of players that we really need remain out of our reach whilst we do not know our fate.Unlike for instance Slade ,G.J. has found loan signings a pretty unproductive route. Yet he realises bringing in more of pretty much the same on permanent transfers,generally players of this level or the one below offers no real improvement over what is availabe,therefore thats why he is also saying "I'm happy with what I'Ve got".

Hence one big dilemna.......

thing is those players may well be better on the training ground, however in the 1st team, they didn't do the business, many a time we have had players who COULD play at a higher level if they got their, but they couldn't cope with the "competitive" rough and bump nature of League 1, we have players now who seem committed and capable playing and performing to the required standard to get us out this god forsaken league,

their is no doubt that if promoted we will need some better quality players brought in, but they understandably cost alot in transfer fees and wages, let's get them WHEN we get their, when we actually get promoted, the likes of Southend, Colchester, Brighton, Luton, Hull and the like have got out of this league with Free Transfer and Nominal fee players who lets be honest player for player probably aren't that better than players we have, HOWEVER those club knew how to play this level of football and dirty the dirty work of fighting their way out of this league,

how many times in recent years have Brighton got promoted? Twice, did they do this with Expensive signings or cheap players who were commited to the cause, the later, Brighton's problems was that once they got to the higher level, they couldn't attract the higher quality players due to lack of cash and a poor ground, but they sure knew how to get promoted from League 1 - that's something until this season we stood very little chance of doing.

maybe this is the year maybe not - but at least the team is looking to be moving in the right direction, but this is Bristol City so expect a bumpy ride along the way

• Admin
Whereas you seem to want to find ways to praise GJ and will take whatever tenuous scraps you can find.

Really?

Look through my posts and find the last time I have created a post in order to lavish praise upon GJ.

I suggest you would have to go back further than you would have to go back through your's or SR's in looking for examples where you criticise GJ.

Rounded viewpoints eh? :laugh:

But we HAVE drawn five of our last eight league games with three good wins - 14 points. We'd have been better off winning five and losing three! I do believe the squad we have is capable of playing some great attacking football but we have been a very cautious team. I think that has been down in some part to Lee Johnson playing so deep. It is noticeable that lately he is getting further forward which is beginning to make a difference.

oh yeah, overall results over the last few games haven't been the best, but thankfully it is still keeping in touch, find it strange though that someone is having a serious moan about our Home Form? :dunno:

johnson seems to be having a interest effect on our team, he's proving more and more that he is a good player and these recent goals have improved his confidence, do find though that since Skuse came out of the middle we seem to be suffering a bit more, but he has had to cover on the wings, no ideal, but he's been doing a fairly decent enough job of it, hopefully with Enoch & Brown fit they can cover the left wing role and we can get Skuse back in the middle with Johnson.

Really?

Look through my posts and find the last time I have created a post in order to lavish praise upon GJ.

I suggest you would have to go back further than you would have to go back through your's or SR's in looking for examples where you criticise GJ.

Rounded viewpoints eh? :laugh:

some people just have a serious need to hammer GJ, whether it buy rational means or not, to just defend the manager and believe in the job the manager is doing is EVIL

he's done an decent enough job so far, but for some because we aren't promoted yet, he's gotta go? it's odd, but I suppose all managers have their critics

players he's got shot off who weren't doing much for City, Clayton Fortune, Grant Smith, Micheal Bridges, Steve Gillespie, Marcus Stewart, Jamie Smith, players who most of which were on decent money but with little return on the field.

first full, pre-season to finish was what I meant, he came in on city's 10th league game, almost a quarter of the season gone and had to resolve underlying problems at the club and deal with internal clubs problems, and certain event happened after his 3rd game in charge which had massive effects on the team and club.

I would love to see these statistics that prove his transfer activity to be so bad? I'm guessing all the players that got Yeovil promoted from the conference to League 1 were already at the club? How Yeovil have done this season is nothing to do with Johnson and is 100% down to the current manager you say this but we only actually signed 2 players from Yeovil at the start of this season and one 1 of which has played so far?

His transfer dealings at city have been very good, McCombe, McAllister, Johnson, Enoch, Fontaine have all played key roles in our season so far getting us to this current position and are better than the players they replaced in their position

Heywood v MCombe = Mcombe much better

McAllister v Woodman - McAllister better

Johnson v Wilkshire - Wilkshire (but if we could have kept LW we would have)

Enoch v Bridges/Stewart - Enoch - scored goals early season despite the team playing badly (regardless of MB/MS rep, they didn't perform, Enoch has)

Fontaine v Fortune - no brainer - Fontaine

Noble v Grant Smith - Noble - has shown himself to be a decent player (when played!)

personally just using those examples apart from Wilkshire (City would have tried to keep but stood no chance) he has signed players who have played well and actually performed, not players who promised lots, but didn't perform, the fact be know player for player that has gone and has come in the new signings have done the business, SO FAR

but it's too early to judge anyone, let alone to be constantly belating on since September that Johnson will fail/be gone by XMAS/EASTER/END OF SEASON

the fact is Johnson has done fairly well so for, and for some personal reason you don't seem to like it?

Re your player ratings - fair enough, that is your opinion and I respect your right to hold it.

I also agree that Johnson has done " fairly well so far " and I do like it.

However he hasn't done very well and has proved nothing yet over Wilson.

I don't think you can factually say that the strikers he brought in have " done the business " have a look at the division leading scorers !

Virtually all his signings at Yeovil - including the club record signing did not perform and have since moved down not up.

He dismissed Easter ( may have been right I accept ) who is scoring for fun, albeit in a lower division.

Bridges is still playing regularly in an improving Championship side but not scoring I admit.

Without wishing to reopen a long dead thread I watched Yeovil on Sky and MS was a class above most of what we have.

Savage is nowhere yet played regularly for us last season.

Some of our academy youngsters are performing well for us or other clubs but are frozen out for whatever reason.

Agree with you re Cotterill and Wilkshire - no other options there.

some people just have a serious need to hammer GJ, whether it buy rational means or not, to just defend the manager and believe in the job the manager is doing is EVIL

he's done an decent enough job so far, but for some because we aren't promoted yet, he's gotta go? it's odd, but I suppose all managers have their critics

Sorry but be at least factually accurate - find me one post on this board which suggests or states that GJ should be sacked.

I may have missed it but I haven't seen one !

Re your player ratings - fair enough, that is your opinion and I respect your right to hold it.

I also agree that Johnson has done " fairly well so far " and I do like it.

However he hasn't done very well and has proved nothing yet over Wilson.

I don't think you can factually say that the strikers he brought in have " done the business " have a look at the division leading scorers !

Virtually all his signings at Yeovil - including the club record signing did not perform and have since moved down not up.

He dismissed Easter ( may have been right I accept ) who is scoring for fun, albeit in a lower division.

Bridges is still playing regularly in an improving Championship side but not scoring I admit.

Without wishing to reopen a long dead thread I watched Yeovil on Sky and MS was a class above most of what we have.

Savage is nowhere yet played regularly for us last season.

Some of our academy youngsters are performing well for us or other clubs but are frozen out for whatever reason.

Agree with you re Cotterill and Wilkshire - no other options there.

ok with Strikers not done the business, but they are all scoring goals, Jevons/Enoch all got goals but can perform better, Brooker injured/jail most of season but getting back to his best, Bridges did well in League 2, but is a squad player for Hull and as you say not scoring (strikers job)

Wilson had 4 seasons at the club in his first 2 seasons he didn't even make the play-offs, so even if we take last season into consideration where we didn't make the playoffs (even though lets face it early season was a disaster) if WE finish 7th of above he has equaled Wilson, it took us 3 seasons under Wilson to make the play-offs, I feel alot more confident this season that we have a chance of them, lets be honest looking at the table Automatic is still there for ANYONE to grab with the right run of form.

as for Savage, stupid as it sounds, he actually seems to be doing fairly well at Gillingham and has actually improved and is now a regular starter so much that he was man of the match for them a few games back after setting up all 3 goals for them? He was a PANTS player no doubt, but in a strange way he has actually improved since he joined us and since he went to the Gills)

as for Marcus Stewart.......I'd expect him to have a blinder for Yeovil, after all, he's had the last month of so off!.......in all seriousness though, it's been overdone, but he never showed the form for City that he has for Yeovil, why who knows, it just never happened for him here, it's happened before and it will happen again

Sorry but be at least factually accurate - find me one post on this board which suggests or states that GJ should be sacked.

I may have missed it but I haven't seen one !

i thought you were the one who has a "£100 bet he won't be here this time next year and I am confident." hmmm, or perhaps that was someone else?

If you think we have to be signing players every 5 minutes to show ambition, then its a very far fetched view.

We have a good team spirit for once, and I don't think Johnson wants to upset current players who have worked hard for their place.

Yesterday showed that our strikers can do the business, and we have Myrie-Williams and Enoch for the left. Its not ideal but I doubt we can find anything better at the moment or maybe you could suggest someone rather then just demanding a signing?

If you're going to talk about ambition, I think it was there in abundance yesterday and if it wasn't for some dodgy defending we would be in the next round of the FA Cup.

Bloody hell Collis, you still angry from my Pro Evo thrashing?

So this is not sarcasm then? :dunno:

He can hardly turn round and say "well to be honest I've got no midfield, Enoch and Brooker are so unfit I'll be lucky to get another half a dozen games out of them, Jevons is playing $h1te and Basso cant catch a cold and if we don't replace these muppets we've got bugger all chance of promotion" can he?

"

I call it a humourous example.

Other managers find it very easy and feel within their rights to state whether they need new blood, why not Johnson?

Because we are 3 points off the leaders and he doesn't need to. Most managers that make quotes like that have a serious problem with the way the team is performing.

Players can't expect to be irreplaceable - it's partially what spurs them to a performance on the pitch.

I see nothing wrong with saying that you would be disappointed if you couldn't improve the squad in the transfer window. To say that he would be happy with the current squad if nothing happened is, in my opinion, a cop-out.

No player is bigger than the team, you are right but I would argue that it also has a negative effect by adding pressure, some players don't play well in those circumstances. It's not a cop out, once again, it has to be said any other statement would seriously undermine the confidence of the squad and as another poster has said you don't have to sign someone just to show ambition.

Having said all that I still believe that a signing will be made during the transfer window.

Not wanting to upset current players? Don't make me laugh! If Johnson was half the manager that he likes people to think he is, he wouldn't give two hoots about upsetting players.

You must be quite the wizard on Championship manager then.

Yes, that was sarcasm. Wanna tell me off? :pacifier:

I'm guessing you've never 'managed' a piss up in a brewery by the way.

And no, that wasn't sarcasm.

How do you expect to instill confidence or loyalty in someone by telling them that they aren't good enough and you'd replace them if you could?

The stick works...but not without the carrot mate.

The stick works...but not without the carrot mate.

Whats the carrot??

If you get promoted you wont be offered a new contract because you arent good enough for the championship! If you ask me our problem has been that half our players have always prefered to stay in the comfort zone. As demonstrated by Murray and Carey returning as soon as they could!

let's be honest, we don't want panic signings we want decent quality players who are availabl, if he can't get the right players, he'd rather sign none, instead of someone, that "might" be ok.

Johnson has PROVED in the transfer market that he can find good players, Noble, Fontaine & McCombe are all very good signings that we have had to pay, players like Jevons, Enoch, McAllister and Johnson have all proved to be very very good free transfers! and yet people moan that he isn't good enough in the transfer! :disapointed2se:

The point with Bosmans & Frees are that they're not free in the sense that signing on fees, contract settlements and wages have to be taken into consideration, this season and the next ones.It's very likely that McAllister & Johnson will cost us over £500k over the next two or three seasons, providing they stay.

Archived