IGNORED

All Out Of Superlatives...

Olé

I've been watching City for fifteen years this year and today was simply the best performance I have ever seen from the club I support. No hyperbole, no exaggeration, this was clearly a peerless display of football and one which doesn't come along very often. The quality was frightening, it really was, I've seen good City performances before but never such a man for man accomplished days work for ninety minutes. If I see a better City performance I will be very lucky indeed, this was as close to faultless as you will get.

We could have won 7-0. This is not that throwaway plaudit people attach to a great win, it is actually a measured fact. Pogliacomi after his blunder for the opener was sensational and make two incredible saves soon after to deny certain goals, then saved a penalty, and in the second half made a third outrageous save at the feet of a clean through Andrews to push the ball onto the post. That's at least four chances which nine out of ten times would be goals as well.

In fact buried in our great attacking football you could argue we were seeing comfortably the divisions two best keepers as Basso's handling was faultless and his kicking into the wind in the second half completely error free. In fact he made a fantastic diving save to tip a goalbound effort round the post early in the game, a chance which could have totally changed the complexion of the game. From then on we absolutely bossed the match with sensational performances all over, from front to back.

We looked like a team from a higher division, the effort, the work rate, the movement, it was all a class above. I don't know if we just witnessed the maturing of the Gary Johnson side but this had the look of a signature performance for a successful season, it was the kind of quantum leap in standard that can transform a team and club. There is not a team at this level that can live with us playing football like we did today.

The Times made Oldham the most likely home win of the day in English football and with only 7 goals conceded there, a terrific run of form and a 5-0 win over then-leaders Forest at Boundary Park under their belts, you can see why. Which makes it all the more incredible that we turned up and ripped them to pieces. They were absolutely overrun, the cliche of a 'footballing lesson' is used too much but this was exactly that.

Johnson is a phenomenal manager, the yardstick is his signings and they were the outstanding players today. Showunmi is a monster, Lee Johnson runs games like this, McCombe owned the Oldham attack all day, McCallister was class and scored an unforgettable goal, and the new boy, Wilson, well he was just out of this world, his driving runs from midfield, his touch, his composure, crossing better than we've seen in years and could play all night and would never give away possession.

The guy has quality all over and is obviously made to play at the level which we're aiming for.... something that will become a reality if we carry on in this vein of form. I'm all out of superlatives but please trust me on this one: this is not heat of the moment excitement or romantically exaggerated praise, this was just masterful football plain and simple, it was a performance that would not have looked out of place in the Premiership, we were that dominant all over the pitch.

Maybe it was the uncharacteristic black socks on the home strip making us look like Man Utd, but I came away from today's game feeling like I had just seen a glimpse of what it would be like to watch a City side of top flight quality. We can all dream but for the first time in a long while that dream seems a little bit closer, for nearly a decade we've watched decent League One players pushing for fanciful promotion, today we finally saw the actual transformation in quality that makes that promotion inevitable.

Kind Regards

Rob

absolutely and totally correct :)

completely and utterly proud to be a bristol city fan tonight.

gary johnson, youve made our club special again. thankyou. we will go up this season, mark my words.

we've got a team to be proud of, all playing for the shirt 110% every week and now adding the extra quality that's needed to win this league.

brilliant city. absolutely brilliant :clapping:

i may have been out on the lash but this is how i feel!

i feel, finally, this will be our year.

let's keep behind the boys through every game, because we can do this!

forgive me for sounding over-the-top. but i genuinely feel theres somethin great around the corner for bristol city. and my god.. it's long overdue :city:

come on you reds, city til i die :)

Today was without doubt the best we have played this season. Awesome stuff from start to finish, and for me, that is the best Skuse has ever played for us.

After results like that, promotion looks almost a certainty, but only if we can keep that level of performance up. If we do, then its Championship here we come.

Up the City

Today was without doubt the best we have played this season. Awesome stuff from start to finish, and for me, that is the best Skuse has ever played for us.

After results like that, promotion looks almost a certainty, but only if we can keep that level of performance up. If we do, then its Championship here we come.

Up the City

agree with the skuse point. seems to be growing greater confidence in his own ability. we all know he has that ability, but now he is believing more and getting better and will become even better in the future

I've been watching City for fifteen years this year and today was simply the best performance I have ever seen from the club I support. No hyperbole, no exaggeration, this was clearly a peerless display of football and one which doesn't come along very often. The quality was frightening, it really was, I've seen good City performances before but never such a man for man accomplished days work for ninety minutes. If I see a better City performance I will be very lucky indeed, this was as close to faultless as you will get.

We could have won 7-0. This is not that throwaway plaudit people attach to a great win, it is actually a measured fact. Pogliacomi after his blunder for the opener was sensational and make two incredible saves soon after to deny certain goals, then saved a penalty, and in the second half made a third outrageous save at the feet of a clean through Andrews to push the ball onto the post. That's at least four chances which nine out of ten times would be goals as well.

In fact buried in our great attacking football you could argue we were seeing comfortably the divisions two best keepers as Basso's handling was faultless and his kicking into the wind in the second half completely error free. In fact he made a fantastic diving save to tip a goalbound effort round the post early in the game, a chance which could have totally changed the complexion of the game. From then on we absolutely bossed the match with sensational performances all over, from front to back.

We looked like a team from a higher division, the effort, the work rate, the movement, it was all a class above. I don't know if we just witnessed the maturing of the Gary Johnson side but this had the look of a signature performance for a successful season, it was the kind of quantum leap in standard that can transform a team and club. There is not a team at this level that can live with us playing football like we did today.

The Times made Oldham the most likely home win of the day in English football and with only 7 goals conceded there, a terrific run of form and a 5-0 win over then-leaders Forest at Boundary Park under their belts, you can see why. Which makes it all the more incredible that we turned up and ripped them to pieces. They were absolutely overrun, the cliche of a 'footballing lesson' is used too much but this was exactly that.

Johnson is a phenomenal manager, the yardstick is his signings and they were the outstanding players today. Showunmi is a monster, Lee Johnson runs games like this, McCombe owned the Oldham attack all day, McCallister was class and scored an unforgettable goal, and the new boy, Wilson, well he was just out of this world, his driving runs from midfield, his touch, his composure, crossing better than we've seen in years and could play all night and would never give away possession.

The guy has quality all over and is obviously made to play at the level which we're aiming for.... something that will become a reality if we carry on in this vein of form. I'm all out of superlatives but please trust me on this one: this is not heat of the moment excitement or romantically exaggerated praise, this was just masterful football plain and simple, it was a performance that would not have looked out of place in the Premiership, we were that dominant all over the pitch.

Maybe it was the uncharacteristic black socks on the home strip making us look like Man Utd, but I came away from today's game feeling like I had just seen a glimpse of what it would be like to watch a City side of top flight quality. We can all dream but for the first time in a long while that dream seems a little bit closer, for nearly a decade we've watched decent League One players pushing for fanciful promotion, today we finally saw the actual transformation in quality that makes that promotion inevitable.

Kind Regards

Rob

What an absolute delight to read a post oozing such positivity about our football club.

Sounds a bit like when we beat Swansea 5-0 (or was it 5-1?) in the 1990 promotion year. Pivital moments when you know you have seen something special.

Kind Regards

Rob

Cracking post,lets hope we can maintain this high standard and get out of the poxy division,we have roosted in for 8 years.

It was great to hear we won so comfortably yesterday and was a real team performance by the lads. But what concerns me is that we can play really well against the teams at the top of the table but poorly against the likes of Cheltenham and Bournemouth. Maybe its phycological stuff but after seeing many years of city failing at the final hurdle and whilst happy we are second in the league, I'm not going to jump for joy yet until May. Call me a cynic but its happened too many times in my 18 years of going to Ashton Gate that we are left disappointed yet again.

Kind Regards

Rob

Ole, Ole Ole Ole, Ole Ole, Ole, Ole Ole Ole, Ole Ole.. :rolleyes:

It was great to hear we won so comfortably yesterday and was a real team performance by the lads. But what concerns me is that we can play really well against the teams at the top of the table but poorly against the likes of Cheltenham and Bournemouth. Maybe its phycological stuff but after seeing many years of city failing at the final hurdle and whilst happy we are second in the league, I'm not going to jump for joy yet until May. Call me a cynic but its happened too many times in my 18 years of going to Ashton Gate that we are left disappointed yet again.

Spot on - Its great that City have begun to put in peformances that are prompting such accolades and long may it continue but there are still another 18 games to go and one impressive league is not going to win promotion.

I disagree as yesterday was the FIRST time this season we have travelled to a top team and really looked the part. Hopefully this is a sign of the progress Johnson is making with the team. Ideally you would want your team to improve as the season goes on and if this is what is happening with us then there is only one outcome - we all live in hope!! Since the Coventry Home game there seems to have been a shift in style to playing a lot more football on the floor. Perhaps it has taken time for the messages to sink in to the players - or perhaps it is a deliberate ploy by a manager who knew what he was doing all along!

As you say, we have won nothing yet but the thing that gives me cause for optimism is that when you go onto the Oldham site they all say the same thing - that we worked our socks off and never allowed them to play. It is that work ethic and team spirit that could be the missing link this season.

Kind Regards

Rob

Ole to Ole AKA RobF of BCFC RivalsNet :clapping: , that is an absolutely first class piece of match reporting. A true masterclass and yardstick to judge others - that probably represents the best ever BCFC match report on any website that I've yet seen. I just wish I'd got off my arse yesterday to get to Oldham to see the game for myself. I've also got to add that I too enjoyed my trip to Oldham a few years ago in probably the best away supporters' stand in the league - brilliant view of the pitch and of the Penines/moors beyond.

Well done Sir. :chant6ez:

Up the City

I think Greebo's right, until yesterday we hadn't done well enough against other top sides. Let's hope yesterday has changed that cos we've certainly got some more tough ones coming up.

I felt a huge factor yesterday was that we seem to be getting the right balance in midfield. Skuse had a great game - breaking things up, 100%effort, getting in tackles and when he couldn't deflections. And Brian Wilson just might be the answer to our left side, especially away from home. I'd far rather see Enoch/Jennison playing up front - both look far more comfortable there, and whilst they may contribute when we break, they don't really help the midfield when we haven't got the ball.

All in all, very promising - superlative if we can do it at Scunny as well!!

Archived