IGNORED

New Ground

Andy Horsman

Lets face it leaving AG would be a wrench, but Man City, Arsenal, Doncaster, Swansea, and even Forest Green latterly have managed quite nicely.

With The Gas getting planning permission for what is (cough!!)an ambitious and(choke!!) imaginative way of expanding at the Mem, and Swansea and Cardiff having new facilities already/imminently respectively, are we again being left behind?

Argyle have gradually and successfully transformed Home Park, which used to be a large outdoor toilet of a ground, and proved that a new ground is not the only way forward.AG, however is less likely to be suitable for rebuilding in the same way, being in a more 'built-up' location,so we come back to a new ground.

Where we go and how we fund such a move is never going to be entirely straightforward, but IMO, we need to consider the future with a relative degree of urgency so that our club retains the momentum we are starting to get now on the playing side.

Your thoughts?

Like I have said on many occasions redeveloping Ashton Gate will cost a lot more money than building a new stadium from scratch.

If we are in the championship we will lose a size able income due to a reduced capicity.

Now that Rovers have permission for there pie in the sky stadium I can see no reason why BCC will reject a proposal to build a purpose built stadium near David Lloyd just for us.

We should be looking at building a 25,000 stadium with plans in place to easily extend it just like the Madejski stadium.

The parking is already in place at the near by Park and ride so why not?

Our off field income will increase dramatically which will hopefully result in more money being used to strengthen the playing squad and the club wont incur any losses due to a reduced capacity like we would if we went ahead and redeveloped AG.

Also we would be able to build facilities at a new stadium that wouldn't be able to be built at Ag like a hotel, Possibly a on site training complex, Offices etc.

Like I have said on many occasions redeveloping Ashton Gate will cost a lot more money than building a new stadium from scratch.

If we are in the championship we will lose a size able income due to a reduced capicity.

Now that Rovers have permission for there pie in the sky stadium I can see no reason why BCC will reject a proposal to build a purpose built stadium near David Lloyd just for us.

We should be looking at building a 25,000 stadium with plans in place to easily extend it just like the Madejski stadium.

Our off field income will increase dramatically which will hopefully result in more money being used to strengthen the playing squad and the club wont incur any losses due to a reduced capacity like we would if we went ahead and redeveloped AG.

Also we would be able to build facilities at a new stadium that wouldn't be able to be built at Ag like a hotel, Possibly a on site training complex, Offices etc.

Hasn't this come up before? I think the land by David Lloyd falls under North Somerset.

i would much rather develop the three sides of ashton gate with the atyeo being the away end rather than have a new multi-purpose that all look the same. they have no character or anything.

Absolutely agree with you there, Ashton Gate has a lot of character and some great memories for me over the past 30 years, also agree with the Atyeo being the away end.

i would much rather develop the three sides of ashton gate with the atyeo being the away end rather than have a new multi-purpose that all look the same. they have no character or anything.

Did you go to the RICOH?

That's a stadium to be proud to call 'home'.

On arrival back at the Gate, I'm afraid it looked what it is......Past it's best days!

(The accoustics were excellent as well)

Absolutely. I for one would miss the pubs, the ahem atmosphere and the history. Sod going out to a all-look-the-same stadium off of a motorway junction somewhere. We need to preserve what little is left of our beautiful game & its culture.

Hasn't this come up before? I think the land by David Lloyd falls under North Somerset.

correct, currently green belt land and can't be built on, is always ear marked for a road to link the A370-A38 to relieve the traffic from driving through Bemmie and Winterstoke Road.

it's a no go

Lets face it leaving AG would be a wrench, but Man City, Arsenal, Doncaster, Swansea, and even Forest Green latterly have managed quite nicely.

With The Gas getting planning permission for what is (cough!!)an ambitious and(choke!!) imaginative way of expanding at the Mem, and Swansea and Cardiff having new facilities already/imminently respectively, are we again being left behind?

Argyle have gradually and successfully transformed Home Park, which used to be a large outdoor toilet of a ground, and proved that a new ground is not the only way forward.AG, however is less likely to be suitable for rebuilding in the same way, being in a more 'built-up' location,so we come back to a new ground.

Where we go and how we fund such a move is never going to be entirely straightforward, but IMO, we need to consider the future with a relative degree of urgency so that our club retains the momentum we are starting to get now on the playing side.

Your thoughts?

well were top of the league swansea aint and rovers arent so who cares .....

If so, let's apply to North Somerset then....they may be a bit more helpful!

nope,

lets keep Bristol 'your' City in Bristol 'our' City,

.. all we need at AG is a nice lick of red Johnsons paint (be Brut-ish & slap it all over).. & a state of the art pie/pasty warmer & our traditional British football ground in Bristol will be the envy of those nu-fans who visit from lookalikey plastic 'sports arenas' all around the country!.. -back to basics, get yer pasties 'ere!! :)

deffinately stay at the gate! and redevelop dolman, wedlock and williams. probably one of the best locations to have a ground in bristol. got all we need around the ground, pubs etc... and town not being far atall.
I understand what you mean but to me it doesn't seem financially viable to stay at Ag and do so.

One thing is for sure we just can't do nothing, And I hope the powers that be are already working on this behind closed doors.

If we completely redevelop all of it, I'd tend to agree.If, for example we just replaced the EE with a 10,000 Seater Double Tier Stand with all the trimmings at about £10m, then no it wouldn't.

For the record MK Dons new stadium will cost £42m and will house 30,000 making it the 11th largest in England.

And that's the problem

BCC will find one, trust me and there's a long way for Rovers to go, yet

I think most people would agree.The issue is funding unless SL is just plain generous and The Lansdown Arena takes place

BCC

It's not as simple as that.If we build a ground at a cost of say £30m, we have to fund that devt and fund the other stadium as well.The plans for the one at Hengrove which was a 29,000 devt ,were deemed "unaffordable and pie in the sky" when CS was questioned at the recent Q&A.

Agree with that however, we don't even currently have the money to build a new stand at AG that could house similar things

Bristol Boy, the Club already said the East End would cost £30 Mil, so your £10 Mil is wishfull thinking.

£30 mil!!! fn hell thats a lot. Almost as cheap to build a new stadium on that costing, for what the same numbers as it (in theory ) holds now? don't see a logic in that, for no overall increase in capacity?

Guest Jan Mollars Gloves

Much as I would love to think otherwise.

I can't see any developments at AG or a move to another site, while Sexstone is CE.

I am sure there is work going on behind the scenes, but the vision tends to be 'on the cheap'.

How exciting it would be if the club were to announce some kind of positive news?

One for the Trust & FCF to ask questions?

Hi Moomin!

I think the £30m you say to build the NEW Wedlock Stand is way OTT, I remember 2 years ago when Dave Sextone published the plans on this site highlighting the various elevations and an artists impression of what it would look like (Similar to the Fratton End at Portsmouth) the cost was thought to be in the region of £8m. Also the so called arena to be built at Hengrove Park 3 or 4 years ago ONLY totalled £40m. I know we have inflation but that would be ridiculous!

Cheers P.

nope,

.. all we need at AG is a nice lick of red Johnsons paint (be Brut-ish & slap it all over).. & a state of the art pie/pasty warmer & our traditional British football ground in Bristol will be the envy of those nu-fans who visit from lookalikey plastic 'sports arenas' all around the country!.. -back to basics, get yer pasties 'ere!! :)

much that i love somerset

ashton gate is our home

with the east end our epicentre

there is no reason to move to some identikit souless concrete bowl like that coventry place with its empty dusty plastic seats.

nope,

Total agree with that :clapping:

If we completely redevelop all of it, I'd tend to agree.If, for example we just replaced the EE with a 10,000 Seater Double Tier Stand with all the trimmings at about £10m, then no it wouldn't.

For the record MK Dons new stadium will cost £42m and will house 30,000 making it the 11th largest in England.

I tend to agree here but at some point in the next 25 years both the Williams and Dolman will most likely need to be replaced or a significant amount of money spent on them to keep them usable.

BCC will find one, trust me and there's a long way for Rovers to go, yet

Of course they will but now we have a good argument to use against them, And as someone pointed out earlier IF a stadium is built near David Lloyd then it comes under NS.

I for one am not totally convinced about Rovers plans. Just seems abit ambitious for a mediocre league two club who only get gates of 5k. Now if they were going to build a 3 sided stadium with a capacity of 12k and permission in place for the 4th stand to take the capacity up to 18k should they require the extra capacity then it may be slightly more believable.

I think most people would agree.The issue is funding unless SL is just plain generous and The Lansdown Arena takes place

Funding is always going to be the main problem but it will have to be found either way. We were going to get some of the funding from a catering contract for the EE, MY guess is if they went down the same route with a new stadium then they could get alot more due to the massively better catering facilities that could be built.

Money will also be raised from the sale of Ashton Gate, A source of funding that wont be available if we decide to develop 75% of Ag in the next 25 years.

Agree with that however, we don't even currently have the money to build a new stand at AG that could house similar things

Very true but at Ag there is simply not enough space to house bigger stands plus facilities like a hotel etc.

With the sale of Ag, Sponsorship, 'buy a brick' and even abit of cold turkey it could be done.

The main obstacles are finding the right site not so far from Ag and getting planning permission for it.

After that then we can think seriously about funding.

Will we though? When we were last at Champ level and in the early 90s, we didn't exactly sell out. If and when we get a full house every week in the Champ then by all means get anew or expanded stadium, but until then AG serves our needs.

Will we though? When we were last at Champ level and in the early 90s, we didn't exactly sell out. If and when we get a full house every week in the Champ then by all means get anew or expanded stadium, but until then AG serves our needs.
Very good question indeed.

However I feel we will get gates of around 18k a game and teh lowest will be around 14k as long as we are not rooted to the bottom of the table.

We will get more for the likes of Brum, Wolves, Cardiff, Plymouth than we would for the likes of Colchester, Southend etc but I would expect are average gate come the end of the season and if still in the championship to be 18k.

£30 mil!!! fn hell thats a lot. Almost as cheap to build a new stadium on that costing, for what the same numbers as it (in theory ) holds now? don't see a logic in that, for no overall increase in capacity?

Hi Moomin!

I think the £30m you say to build the NEW Wedlock Stand is way OTT, I remember 2 years ago when Dave Sextone published the plans on this site highlighting the various elevations and an artists impression of what it would look like (Similar to the Fratton End at Portsmouth) the cost was thought to be in the region of £8m. Also the so called arena to be built at Hengrove Park 3 or 4 years ago ONLY totalled £40m. I know we have inflation but that would be ridiculous!

Cheers P.

I may be wrong then chaps! Apologies if so.

However, there is something very nasty under the East End and the whole project was a huge cost.

I may be wrong then chaps! Apologies if so.

However, there is something very nasty under the East End and the whole project was a huge cost.

Don't let them fool you. We all know that beneath the EE there is oil worth billions of pounds and were just waiting for oil prices to peak before we cash in on it :clapping:

Bristol Boy, the Club already said the East End would cost £30 Mil, so your £10 Mil is wishfull thinking.

You've got that wrong.

A new 25,000 Ground would have cost us £29m according to CS and that's unaffordable.

The new 5,000 Seater EE was £8m and we can't fund that.

I don't mind you posting replies, but just curb the agression a bit, it's getting tiresome.

You've got that wrong.

A new 25,000 Ground would have cost us £29m according to CS and that's unaffordable.

The new 5,000 Seater EE was £8m and we can't fund that.

I don't mind you posting replies, but just curb the agression a bit, it's getting tiresome.

25,000 seater stadium, it aint worth it, for little or no increase in capacity. sure it was only 25,000?

Calm down BB, calm down.

Dan C

I tend to agree here but at some point in the next 25 years both the Williams and Dolman will most likely need to be replaced or a significant amount of money spent on them to keep them usable.

Agree with that and the overall issue is that we can probably all decide on what's needed and, in fairness, both solutions would suffice.The problem is funding it and that'w where CS fell down with his projections about the catering contract.The plain facts are that the new 5,000 Seater EE was unaffordable and unfundable at £8m

I for one am not totally convinced about Rovers plans. Just seems abit ambitious for a mediocre league two club who only get gates of 5k. Now if they were going to build a 3 sided stadium with a capacity of 12k and permission in place for the 4th stand to take the capacity up to 18k should they require the extra capacity then it may be slightly more believable.

If you apply that thinking then Darlington, Doncaster & MK Dons couldn't have built theres.It takes the right leadership as places like Boro, Bolton, Wigan & Reading have all proved as they've sailed past us

Funding is always going to be the main problem but it will have to be found either way.

Or stay as we are and go back to terracing if the bill gets formed and passed :dunno:

We were going to get some of the funding from a catering contract for the EE,

See above

MY guess is if they went down the same route with a new stadium then they could get alot more due to the massively better catering facilities that could be built.

Still leaves a massive shortfall as we found this time around

Money will also be raised from the sale of Ashton Gate, A source of funding that wont be available if we decide to develop 75% of Ag in the next 25 years.

That's true and it could well be the only viable way of providing growth

Very true but at Ag there is simply not enough space to house bigger stands plus facilities like a hotel etc.

More space even more expensive

The main obstacles are finding the right site not so far from Ag and getting planning permission for it.

Spot On

After that then we can think seriously about funding.

Not being a pedant but funding comes before we do anything as some of these land deals and planning applications run into millions before you lay a brick.

Thank you for your well reasoned reply and adult debate.

I think we'd all like to have a new ground or see AG bigger and better.The problem is always going to come back to money and, whilst promotion will increase revenue and has the potential to attract some new investors, unless we suddenly do it back to back, I can't see them coming out of the woodwork in droves.We also need to ensure the motives as best one can, of any Knight in Shining Armour that suddenly appears, especially for one without a track record, English or Foreign.

Improving AG comes at a cst of reducing capacity for a season and that is another issue.

It's not easy.

Archived