IGNORED

New Ground

Andy Horsman

correct, currently green belt land and can't be built on, is always ear marked for a road to link the A370-A38 to relieve the traffic from driving through Bemmie and Winterstoke Road.

it's a no go

It's not a no go. Housing has recently been passed at barrow hospital,the old research centre, as well as recent developments in Long Ashton and obviously the David Loyd Centre, all within the green belt area.The link road would not disect the site of the existing cricket ground, and if we were to leave AG this site would be ideal.The local authorities are under pressure to release land for housing and are looking at altering the existing green belts and this site could be released as mixed use.

25,000 seater stadium, it aint worth it, for little or no increase in capacity. sure it was only 25,000?

Calm down BB, calm down.

There were several schemes including a new ground at Hengrove to house 29,000 and an L Shaped stand at AG to replace the Williams & East End increasing capacity to 30/35,000.I think the increase to 35,000 would have cost us £29m.

I've never been a fan of replacing the EE with.....er, well, the EE 5,000 for 5,000? Why?

Although, it appears it can house about 4,600 when it suits after people have been saying that it can only seat about 3,500.

This debate, I think proves that, some clarity of leadership & purpose, not to mention funding, is sought before we do anything.

I am all for staying at the Gate; this venerable old ground is part of our history, and much loved. I've posted before on this topic, so I shall just repeat that I would hate for us to have a brand new soulless stadium where most of the seats are empty, and no atmosphere, probably to be called the 'Screwfix Direct Arena' or 'Hirerite Stadium' or somesuch commercial name. I would refuse to refer to it by such a stupid name. Also the area of Ashton has grown up around its association with Bristol City. Think of all the pubs and shops which rely on our trade being put at risk by us moving to some empty industrial estate somewhere in the suburbs of south Bristol.

I say stick with Ashton Gate. There's no reason to mess with tradition, this is our historical ground, let's keep faith with it.

It's not a no go. Housing has recently been passed at barrow hospital,the old research centre, as well as recent developments in Long Ashton and obviously the David Loyd Centre, all within the green belt area.The link road would not disect the site of the existing cricket ground, and if we were to leave AG this site would be ideal.The local authorities are under pressure to release land for housing and are looking at altering the existing green belts and this site could be released as mixed use.

Barrow Hospital was not green belt because Barrow hospital was there so it was a brown field site and under planning law the developers just had to change the use of the site. The same goes for the research centre.

Bristol City is a Bristol club if we move out of Bristol we will be surrending the City to Rovers and then they can sing there is only one time in Bristol, this must never never never happen. I'm Bristol born and bred and City should never move out of South Bristol let alone Bristol it self.

If you move clubs out of the community it is from what are you left with? MK Dons

i

Barrow Hospital was not green belt because Barrow hospital was there so it was a brown field site and under planning law the developers just had to change the use of the site. The same goes for the research centre.

Bristol City is a Bristol club if we move out of Bristol we will be surrending the City to Rovers and then they can sing there is only one time in Bristol, this must never never never happen. I'm Bristol born and bred and City should never move out of South Bristol let alone Bristol it self.

If you move clubs out of the community it is from what are you left with? MK Dons

i

Hardly moving out of the community if you move about a mile down the road.

i would much rather develop the three sides of ashton gate with the atyeo being the away end rather than have a new multi-purpose that all look the same. they have no character or anything.

Here here. If everyone just builds new grounds they'll all look and feel the same. Coventry, Leicester, Reading, Derby, Hull, Blackpool, Doncaster, Darlington - give or take the odd extra tier, they're all pretty much the same ground. Out of town, not a pub in sight.

Ashton Gate has character and is unique. We need to preserve the traditional walk through a housing estate of semis to get to the ground. You don't want to go and build another rubberdome.

As much as it would be a shame to lose the immense accousicts, a new East End - preferably with safe standing - that would become the new home end, is the best way forward. Due to the space behind the stand, a large capacity stand could be built. This, together with a new Williams stand perhaps, would increase the capacity sufficiently enough to satify demands of the championship and beyond, while keeping the tradition of Ashton Gate.

Archived