IGNORED

charter a plane to boro

totterd-up

I looked into hiring a plane for Bristol-Teesside yesterday, the cost for a 50 seater worked out at around £300 a head, or £230 for a 100 seater. I'm sure that could be negotiated down, however the practical problem is this is a huge risk for an individual to take on. Basically, you have to pay up front for the plane, and filling it is your problem. Cant see any individual both willing and able to do that. Well, maybe one..... but the guy I spoke to told me he already deals with Steve Lansdown.

The only way around it I can think of is if everybody committed to going by paying the money into a trust account - I have one which I operate on behalf of my clients for instance - refundable in the event that there was insufficient interest. The practical problems with that are firstly do you trust the person you're paying the money to - I'm a chartered accountant so that rules me out :D - and also even if you do get enough people to fill the plane, by the time you have done so, it might have been chartered elsewhere.

Another minor inconvenience is that Bristol airport closes at 11pm at the moment for runway repairs, so you'd have to fly in to Cardiff.

Under normal circumstances I'd volunteer to have a go at it, but as this is my busy time of year for work I don't have the time.

If anyone else wants to take it on, I could guarantee a handful of seats. But if it didnt happen by the end of the week I'll be sorting a coach trip out.

Having said all of that, since there is obviously a bit of interest, how about the club chartering the plane, although if it were a CATS style operation (get there with minimal time to spare, no drink, etc) I wouldnt be interested.

Not holding my breath..

Have made call to Thomson fly and could be done in theory...

but from cardiff £140. If the plane relocates to bristol £165. I see problems with ATOL license as it is a requirement to book and money upfront..could the club help? NEED 148 seats filled for this to happen.

Also see probs reading post about bristol runway. But not giving up yet..

I reckon if someone with some marketing knowledge could sell the idea as a 'marketing' opportunity for Thomson or BMI or another smaller company we could get the price affordable for most.

just phoned CATS as a starter, 'in a meeting' so have to call back shortly.

If they could put up money, 3 free coachs to cardiff n back this could almost defo be done for £140 with Thomson -seems a lot but the money i would lose, travel, time etc would not be that much less.

If anyone else would like to phone about please do as i have other things on (like work) and we may find a cheaper option. If anyone can- look for companys that fly out of both airports.

Don't we have a sponsership deal with Fly-be? As i can remember we did at one point but can't remember what it was, match ball or cups of tea? and as they advertise football specials would it not be a good idea and advertisment to get them to fly you fans up?.

Surely if you contacted the club to talk to them something could be sorted out.

Just an idea, never know it could work. :whistle2:

Have had a good chat with someone at club and although they appreciate the idea and are themselves flying up they feel it is too complicated for them to be involved with.

Though i understand the realities of the situation I feel a bit disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm from the club to help out. This was a real possibility on both a 'support the fans' basis and also on a missed marketing opportunity for the club.

Any way the official line:

" With the time scale involved and resources available to the club we are concentrating our efforts on providing an efficient and extremely economical City Away Travel Service.

Therefore we will not be organising a chartered flight for fans, but we do understand there are regular services available to fly from Bristol to Newcastle"

Anyway looks like i'll be driving...i'll just go and get my coat

Have had a good chat with someone at club and although they appreciate the idea and are themselves flying up they feel it is too complicated for them to be involved with.

Though i understand the realities of the situation I feel a bit disappointed with the lack of enthusiasm from the club to help out. This was a real possibility on both a 'support the fans' basis and also on a missed marketing opportunity for the club.

Any way the official line:

" With the time scale involved and resources available to the club we are concentrating our efforts on providing an efficient and extremely economical City Away Travel Service.

Therefore we will not be organising a chartered flight for fans, but we do understand there are regular services available to fly from Bristol to Newcastle"

Anyway looks like i'll be driving...i'll just go and get my coat

Its a pity the club couldnt see fit to sort something out, would've made for a great City experience & sense of 'oneness' with the fans... been good PR & no doubt attracted extra media attention too - seems that the value of the plane idea went, erm - right over their heads - so to speak.

Guest MaloneFM

PR and Bristol City? To quote Andy Millman-'is he 'aving a laugh?' They have still got the big club mentality which is why when promotion happens they will be moving even farther away from the people that have supported them for years.

Archived