IGNORED

Arsenal 2-2 City

cheshire_red

Disappointing for the lads I'm sure but coming so close against an Arsenal side that represents some of the best young players in Europe hand picked by the best manager for spotting young talent in the world is a great omen for the future.

I just hope he isn't running his beady little thieving french eyes over ours.

Whatever do you mean?!?! :innocent06:

Our lot beat Burnley t'other day to progress into the next round. Our kiddies are pretty decent considering that we do not have an academy.

They must be alright to get so far but without an academy you'll find they all bugger off quickly because your fixture list for the youth side has things like "Bristol Rovers" and other pub sides on it. Academy means playing against decent opposition week in week out.

Should be pointed out that most of ours (I think all but 3?) are first year scholars not second year ones like most of Arse's.

They must be alright to get so far but without an academy you'll find they all bugger off quickly because your fixture list for the youth side has things like "Bristol Rovers" and other pub sides on it. Academy means playing against decent opposition week in week out.

Should be pointed out that most of ours (I think all but 3?) are first year scholars not second year ones like most of Arse's.

Yes. Duly noted - Swindon's biggest foe has been Southampton who have taken a good few over the years - Matthew Mills (now Manchester City) and, of course, Theo Walcott being the stand out two. We also lost Leigh Mills to Tottenham Hotspur a couple of seasons back too. It's Chelsea that seem to be the team that sniff around the Youth teams alot these days.

This lot haven't conjured that much publicised interest, other than Lukas Jutkiewicz who's featured often and scored a couple in the first team this season (but has been playing in the Youth Cup)

But anywho, fair play to your Academy on taking what I'm sure was a very good Arsenal team to a penalty shoot-out.

Yes. Duly noted - Swindon's biggest foe has been Southampton who have taken a good few over the years - Matthew Mills (now Manchester City) and, of course, Theo Walcott being the stand out two. We also lost Leigh Mills to Tottenham Hotspur a couple of seasons back too. It's Chelsea that seem to be the team that sniff around the Youth teams alot these days.

The fact that big sides can come in and rip off players from smaller ones is the single biggest problem with this game. I ain't a Swindon fan by any means but I'd rather see players playing for clubs who've invested time, money and faith in them. We need much stronger regulations on that but unfortunately the people that make the rules are the ones that benefit from them.

I'd like to see the academy system extended to run from school leaving age to 21 with pre-contract agreements mandatory for entry.

• Admin
Disappointing for the lads I'm sure but coming so close against an Arsenal side that represents some of the best young players in Europe hand picked by the best manager for spotting young talent in the world is a great omen for the future.

I just hope he isn't running his beady little thieving french eyes over ours.

Good point, the point that struck me when reading the report was "international this" and "international that". The fact that we took them all the way to penalties before eventually succumbing could be a good indicator of how good our Academy is.

The fact that big sides can come in and rip off players from smaller ones is the single biggest problem with this game. I ain't a Swindon fan by any means but I'd rather see players playing for clubs who've invested time, money and faith in them. We need much stronger regulations on that but unfortunately the people that make the rules are the ones that benefit from them.

I'd like to see the academy system extended to run from school leaving age to 21 with pre-contract agreements mandatory for entry.

:clapping::clapping::clapping: Aah Nibor, common sense as usual, but the greedy cartel that run football now would never allow it, as it's not in their interests to be fair and just to smaller clubs. Think Platini is in for a bloody nose too.

Unlucky Boys

Sounds like you gave them a good game

They did indeed. In fact over the 90 minutes, City were the better side, giving their highly rated rivals a more than a run for their money.

Although City looked a little over-awed in the opening minutes, they soon settled down and got closer to the Arsenal forwards. City played some attractive passing football , with Gardner and Artus bossing the midfield.

Up front Plummer and Jackson were a threat although Plummer looked a yard short of pace against the lightening quick Hoyte.

On the flanks, Parker and Ledgister saw more of the ball and the Arsenal following (outnumbered in noise if not in quantity by the City support) started to get worried.

Second half, it was City who wre in the ascendancy with Arsenal resorting to the long ball but, to be honest, the City front-line were well marshalled by a strong Arse back four.

30 minutes extra time is really too long for boys of this age and the game degenerated into a series of prolonged stoppages as cramp took its toll; however Ogogo the Arsenal rght back is still wondering what happened after a magnificent Cruyff turn by Tristan Plummer tied him in knots.

A special mention for Walker at right back, who despite the heart break of missing the last pen had a storming game.

How long before these lads are part of Johnson's Championship winning squad?

They did indeed. In fact over the 90 minutes, City were the better side, giving their highly rated rivals a more than a run for their money.

Although City looked a little over-awed in the opening minutes, they soon settled down and got closer to the Arsenal forwards. City played some attractive passing football , with Gardner and Artus bossing the midfield.

Up front Plummer and Jackson were a threat although Plummer looked a yard short of pace against the lightening quick Hoyte.

On the flanks, Parker and Ledgister saw more of the ball and the Arsenal following (outnumbered in noise if not in quantity by the City support) started to get worried.

Second half, it was City who wre in the ascendancy with Arsenal resorting to the long ball but, to be honest, the City front-line were well marshalled by a strong Arse back four.

30 minutes extra time is really too long for boys of this age and the game degenerated into a series of prolonged stoppages as cramp took its toll; however Ogogo the Arsenal rght back is still wondering what happened after a magnificent Cruyff turn by Tristan Plummer tied him in knots.

A special mention for Walker at right back, who despite the heart break of missing the last pen had a storming game.

How long before these lads are part of Johnson's Championship winning squad?

How many city supporters were there? Was gutted i couldn't make it!

How many city supporters were there? Was gutted i couldn't make it!

2 coachloads from Bristol(a lot of academy kids), a scattering of London Reds, Gary Johnson and Mrs J and, by the end of the evening, a lot of Gooners who'd seen the light. After all there's only one thing worse than being a gashead and that's being named after the part of the body that emits the gas.

Ray Clemence was there - see the pics on the main site

He is behind GJ.

Who does he represent now? surely not Arsenal.

He was England goalkeeping coach and Head of the FA Development team for young players but then contracted prostate cancer a year or two ago. Don't know whether he continued on in those jobs or how his treatment went.

Good point, the point that struck me when reading the report was "international this" and "international that". The fact that we took them all the way to penalties before eventually succumbing could be a good indicator of how good our Academy is.

And Hoyte played. this is the one who played for their 1st team against spurs earlier in the week? If so it puts our teams performance in an even better light. well done!! :chant6ez: :chant6ez: :chant6ez: :chant6ez: :chant6ez: :chant6ez:

Archived