IGNORED

Boycott The Evening Post Campaign

Big Red Rich

post-6220-1171357751.jpg

here is a pic of 'ADAM' Stones,

Seems like a nice boy. He can be contacted on 01179343637 or adam.stones@bepp.co.uk

pillock isn't even a sports reporter, so unlikeley to be seen at the gate unfortunately.

I bet Nathan Jones feels like kicking Adam Stones in the head regarding yesterday's anti-BCFC headlines. :whistle2:

I would also like to add my concern with regard to Nathan Jones of the Evening Post. Nathan Jones often writes some excellent and well informed articles about BCFC and it's a great shame that his journalistic efforts have been undermined by Gashead halfwits with their own agenda to destabilise the morale of our players prior to the Paint Pot Cup games.

E.g. Nathan Jones' article on page 71 of last Saturday's Evening Post was excellent and highlighted the lack of tickets we've been allocated by the Gas squatters for the return leg at the Memorial Rugby Ground.

I've just added a comment to the article on the EP website, stating that I would be cancelling my subscription, and stopping any of my company advertising budget (thousands of pounds per year) reaching their pockets, and surprise, surprise, the comment was removed within 2 minutes.

I think there may be a few arses twitching over at the EP this morning!

Just to add to what's already been said - there is a link on the EP web here (I've shortened it)

http://tinyurl.com/29ubrp

that enables anyone to easily email the Editor directly.

I urge anyone who feels strongly against the EP article to do so - only takes 2 minutes - and mention as I and others have done that

you will never buy the paper again until an apology is forthcoming, and the bias against BCFC is removed.

CodeRed

Oh - and if we do beat 'boro, don't buy the rag to read up on it........much better reports on OTIB (various) , ST (Ian) and netcentre (Graham) by real fans who were there and don't have any agenda to sell copy.

As said by others who needs a paper these days - have you ever read anything in the EP that you didn't already know by already from logging on here?

Yesterdays article in the Telegraph was also badly written.

Under the headline "Not so shipshape in Bristol", they said that Lee Jonson pushing a spectator "sparked ugly scenes" ! It wasn't until half way down the page that they mentioned the guy throwing a punch in the first place.

if anyone fancies emailing a load of reporters from the evil pest just cut and paste this lot:

r.stokes@bepp.co.uk, k.blackadder@bepp.co.uk, i.onions@bepp.co.uk, m.cooper@bepp.co.uk, k.mccormick@bepp.co.uk, k.pugh@bepp.co.uk, j.harding@bepp.co.uk, l.hutchinson@bepp.co.uk, r.janisch@bepp.co.uk, k.barker@bepp.co.uk, h.berger@bepp.co.uk, p.mclennan@bepp.co.uk, t.hodson@bepp.co.uk, l.parkinson@bepp.co.uk, a.stones@bepp.co.uk

fill their inboxes up with complaints, let them all know what a disgrace they are.

I'm speaking as a humble City fan here & not on behalf of the Trust:

If people are unhappy with this paper, then simply don't buy it. Whilst it may not always seem so, most fans are capable of independant tought & therefor in a position to do this without the need for another organisation to become involved. To me, it would almost seem hypocritical of the Trust to become involved here as there are bad things written about our Club on this very forum (which the Trust are the custodians of) yet the comments are allowed to stand as the posts create debate & often the originator gets shot down in flames.

Personally, I'm no fan of the EP & don't buy it. I read the article regrding Orr today & was equally as disappointed as many others. It's desperate journalism & disgusting to read. If people want to boycott it then all they need do is not buy it & not visit their website.

You allowed people to post saying they don't want the East End open yet you still campaigned to open it what's the difference? (not that I have a view either way). There are many other areas where the Trust became involved when fans could have used their independent thought and written in themselves. May I suggest that the Trust fears it may have too much to lose as an organisation to back this? To me that would seem hypocritical of the Trust.

You allowed people to post saying they don't want the East End open yet you still campaigned to open it what's the difference? (not that I have a view either way). There are many other areas where the Trust became involved when fans could have used their independent thought and written in themselves. May I suggest that the Trust fears it may have too much to lose as an organisation to back this? To me that would seem hypocritical of the Trust.

As far as I'm aware, the Trust didn't actually campaign to have the EE reopened. What it did do was offer its organisational skills and brokered the meeting between fans and Club. I attended that meeting as a fan, not a Trust member.

Personally, I agree that there other areas where fans could look to do things off their own back. I've a great deal of respect for anyone willing to get off their ass & do something positive. However, the Trust is comprised of a bunch of fans doing just that but, have gone to the trouble of setting themselves up as a recognised organisation governed by a constitution. We are fortunate that the Club has chosen to recognise the Trust; we have been allowed in to board meetings and to broker/chair meetings such as the EE a few weeks back.

With regards to the EP issue, do you feel that the Trust ought to be stepping in here? To me, it would seem that the fans have taken the initiative already. For all we know, the Club may also chose to complain or deal with this matter in their own way.

For what it's worth, have a read of this: Link

Good questions Chesh.

I don't know if anybody's already commented on this, but the EP have removed the comments from the story.

For me, that just shows how they are not taking our comments seriously but are saving themselves the embarassment of a string of negative comments from City fans that could be read by neutrals.

So much for freedom of speech.

THE EP story

I don't know if anybody's already commented on this, but the EP have removed the comments from the story.

For me, that just shows how they are not taking our comments seriously but are saving themselves the embarassment of a string of negative comments from City fans that could be read by neutrals.

THE EP story

So much for the Bristol Evening Post being "The paper all Bristol asked for and helped to create" as they always claim. They also boldly state: "We bear no allegiance to any political party or cause and discriminate against nobody." The Evening Post editorial staff seem like a bunch of sad Gashead losers to me with the way they're trying to muddy the reputation of this football club. Those in glass houses should not throw stones as they say. :rolleyes:

THE EP story

We could always comment about this issue on some of their other stories.....what would they do then? Delete everything?

I don't think the Editor of the EP will listen to anyone except lawyers.

But it may be in order for the Trust to issue an open letter to him condemning the article and also offering support to Orr from the fans - and maybe touch upon the imbalance of their reporting of this club.

The editor of the Evening Post will also listen to his employers, especially if his employers start complaining about falling sales and falling advertising revenues. :banana:

But it may be in order for the Trust to issue an open letter to him condemning the article and also offering support to Orr from the fans - and maybe touch upon the imbalance of their reporting of this club.

I'd agree with that. There is no need to be at the centre of the campaign to boycott the newspaper but an open letter would at least voice the fans' concerns. It would be all the more powerful if this were to be issued jointly by the Supporters Trust and the Supporters Club.

Flannel Jay and it won't wash.

If the Trust didn't have too much to lose they'd have backed this campaign in an instant.

The Trust has made progress with the Football Club because we have been constructive and professional. From the start we have worked on the basis that you have to work with people and have an open dialogue and open mind if you want positive change.

What this thread and the on-line petition shows is that there is a significant number of people who are very unhappy about the way the Evening Post has reported on our Club. However, if the Trust were to campaign for a boycott or withdrawal of advertising we would be acting in an entirely inconsistent manner.

When I was Chair of the Trust I complained to the EP editor on behalf of the Trust last May about their reporting. I have again written to Mike Norton last night as I thought it was logical for me to pick this back up. I've done so in a private capacity as I wanted to act quickly and didn't have the time to run it past board members.

If the Trust were to encourage or advocate a boycott it would be an aggressive act of brinkmanship. It would risk not effecting change and while they may have a few less readers it wouldn't necessarily stop them from continuing to paint a dark picture. As with how we have approached change at the Club, we stand a better chance of success through working with the Evening Post to get them to change. It would be more consistant for the Trust to request a meeting with the EP editors to look at the issues that are concerning fans, to explain why we are so frustated and to look at ways of improving how it reports on our Club.

Troops, I wrote to the editor earlier.

This is what I said,

Hope it fn helps:

Dear Sir,

I am writing to complain about the report of this incident, specifically the parts which refer to Bradley Orr's recent conviction, spell in prison, and the other three players involved in said incident.

What on EARTH does that have to do with the incident, which to refresh you, involved a "supporter" attempting to punch Mr Orr, as he tried to take a throw in. Mr Johnson, then pushed the "supporter" out of the way. Whereupon Stewards removed him.

Mr Orr at no point reacted to this.

So, why did Mr Stones feel the need to fill the major part of the article up with the whole Romeo Jones incident?

Quite apart from anything else, none of the other three players involved, were even playing, Scott Brown doesnt play for City anymore, and none of the others were even in the team.

It strikes me that Mr Stones, was only interested in showing Bristol City up in a bad light, at all costs. He may be a Rovers fan, but the standards of journalism should not be permitted to sink to the level shown here.

I for one am disgusted, and will no longer be purchasing the papers concerned, and neither will I advertise there. Indeed, I will mention this to any businesses I deal with.

Shame on you

Yours Sincerely,

Carl.

Keep writing folks, and use the power of a consumer ignore the rag.

Jay, on aside, I know the ST doesnt want trouble, but surely a statement about the issue condemning the reporting is acceptable?

An excellent shout there bucksred, I posted my complaint on the Bristol Evening Post website yesterday and they've removed it along with about 20 other complaints by our fellow Redz. Perhaps I need to buy some spray cans and spray my complaint on the outside of their HQ at Old Market. :banana:

This is what I said,

Hope it fn helps:

Dear Sir,

I am writing to complain about the report of this incident, specifically the parts which refer to Bradley Orr's recent conviction, spell in prison, and the other three players involved in said incident.

What on EARTH does that have to do with the incident, which to refresh you, involved a "supporter" attempting to punch Mr Orr, as he tried to take a throw in. Mr Johnson, then pushed the "supporter" out of the way. Whereupon Stewards removed him.

Mr Orr at no point reacted to this.

So, why did Mr Stones feel the need to fill the major part of the article up with the whole Romeo Jones incident?

Quite apart from anything else, none of the other three players involved, were even playing, Scott Brown doesnt play for City anymore, and none of the others were even in the team.

It strikes me that Mr Stones, was only interested in showing Bristol City up in a bad light, at all costs. He may be a Rovers fan, but the standards of journalism should not be permitted to sink to the level shown here.

I for one am disgusted, and will no longer be purchasing the papers concerned, and neither will I advertise there. Indeed, I will mention this to any businesses I deal with.

Shame on you

Yours Sincerely,

Carl.

Keep writing folks, and use the power of a consumer ignore the rag.

Jay, on aside, I know the ST doesnt want trouble, but surely a statement about the issue condemning the reporting is acceptable?

Very well wrote BR, that surely, out of politeness, should warrant a return e mail.

If not, that will be very sad and actually admitting maybe the reporter was/is wrong.

Wait and see mate, but good on you.....Arn

There you go - Roberts yer fathers brother. Nice one.

But I sense Norton is on the attack...he'll probably be selecting some of the more "emotive" comments in a context which suits him. But that's probably me being cynical.

Then its up to the more rational among us to carefully and factually destroy any of his arguments, Cynic. Reckon we can do that meself. You up for it?

Archived