IGNORED

Odd coincidence

22A

Mike Gibson's debut in goal; he saved a penalty.

Ray Cashley's first team debut in goal; he saved a penalty away to a team in the top div (Soton?)

Chris Weale full first team debut in goal; he saved a penalty away to a team in the top div.

Mike Gibson's debut in goal; he saved a penalty.

Ray Cashley's first team debut in goal; he saved a penalty away to a team in the top div (Soton?)

Chris Weale full first team debut in goal; he saved a penalty away to a team in the top div.

Your omens suggest that Mr Chris Weale will be our first team goalie for a very long time. :innocent06:

Your omens suggest that Mr Chris Weale will be our first team goalie for a very long time. :innocent06:

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking. Gibbo played in a City team that was promoted. Cashley was in a City team that was promoted.

On a personal note, RG isn't so much a mouthful as OC 1645.

Well done 22A - I love positive omens.

With regard to 1645 RG I don't suppose it has anything to do with....Fairfax storms Bristol at night after 6 days of cannon bombardment - Rupert has to yield?

Quite right Sir, I be the Red Goblin. The Red Goblin threw his toys out of the pram a couple of months ago concerning unnecessary post deletions and post edits by the moderators of this forum. I'm back using a tribute username to His Excellency Oliver Cromwell's and Sir Thomas Fairfax's liberation of Bristol from the royalist tyranny in the September of 1645 - as if you didn't already know. Please also note the quotation in my current signature below by another famous hero on a par with Oliver Cromwell himself - none other than Colonel Thomas Rainsborough. Colonel Thomas Rainsborough was responsible for the capture of the Prior's Hill fort - on the present day Kingsdown/Cotham border - and the execution of some 3,000 captured royalists in Bristol that had brutalised and impoverished the good people of Bristol during the royalist occupation from 1643 - 1645. :clapping: Don't you just love the history of our very own City. :clapping:

Quite right Sir, I be the Red Goblin. The Red Goblin threw his toys out of the pram a couple of months ago concerning unnecessary post deletions and post edits by the moderators of this forum. I'm back using a tribute username to His Excellency Oliver Cromwell's and Sir Thomas Fairfax's liberation of Bristol from the royalist tyranny in the September of 1645 - as if you didn't already know. Please also note the quotation in my current signature below by another famous hero on a par with Oliver Cromwell himself - none other than Colonel Thomas Rainsborough. Colonel Thomas Rainsborough was responsible for the capture of the Prior's Hill fort - on the present day Kingsdown/Cotham border - and the execution of some 3,000 captured royalists in Bristol that had brutalised and impoverished the good people of Bristol during the royalist occupation from 1643 - 1645. :clapping: Don't you just love the history of our very own City. :clapping:

Certainly do RG! Especially from 1897 onwards! A warm welcome back. You should be knighted for your services to this forum - be a nice day out at the palace....... ;)

Certainly do RG! Especially from 1897 onwards! A warm welcome back. You should be knighted for your services to this forum - be a nice day out at the palace....... ;)

Sir, make that 1894 as Bristol South End FC was formed in that year and they became BCFC in 1897.

The main occurrences of September 1645 are in the passage below with all the principal characters mentioned i.e. Fairfax, Cromwell, Rainsborough, Prince Rupert and King Charles himself together with the role played by the fortification in our club badge - the Bristol Castle itself.........

"In the early hours of 10 September, Parliamentarian siege guns opened fire on the defences at five different points, while infantry prepared to storm the breaches. The well-placed Royalist guns made the assault dangerous and bloody, but the New Model Army was inspired with the same zeal and resolution that had carried the day at Langport. Within an hour, the outer walls were breached and the infantry attacked, breaking through the defences at several points. After a further two hours ferocious fighting, Prior's Hill Fort was taken by Colonel Rainsborough and its defenders massacred. Rupert abandoned the outer walls and fell back towards the strongpoint of Bristol Castle, but as the Royalists withdrew, Cromwell's cavalry charged in. Rupert realised that his position was hopeless. His forces were divided, with some of his best troops isolated at various points along the walls. The well in the castle had been damaged so he had no water supply. Hoping to save at least a part of his army, Rupert called for a treaty.

Fairfax granted honourable terms. All the Royalist troops were allowed to march out of Bristol with colours flying. Their artillery, stores and ammunition were left behind. The surrender of Bristol enraged King Charles. Encouraged by Lord Digby into believing that Rupert had betrayed him, Charles abruptly dismissed Rupert and his officers from his service."

Source: http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/milita...tol.htm#bristol

Sir, make that 1894 as Bristol South End FC was formed in that year and they became BCFC in 1897.

The main occurrences of September 1645 are in the passage below with all the principal characters mentioned i.e. Fairfax, Cromwell, Rainsborough, Prince Rupert and King Charles himself together with the role played by the fortification in our club badge - the Bristol Castle itself.........

"In the early hours of 10 September, Parliamentarian siege guns opened fire on the defences at five different points, while infantry prepared to storm the breaches. The well-placed Royalist guns made the assault dangerous and bloody, but the New Model Army was inspired with the same zeal and resolution that had carried the day at Langport. Within an hour, the outer walls were breached and the infantry attacked, breaking through the defences at several points. After a further two hours ferocious fighting, Prior's Hill Fort was taken by Colonel Rainsborough and its defenders massacred. Rupert abandoned the outer walls and fell back towards the strongpoint of Bristol Castle, but as the Royalists withdrew, Cromwell's cavalry charged in. Rupert realised that his position was hopeless. His forces were divided, with some of his best troops isolated at various points along the walls. The well in the castle had been damaged so he had no water supply. Hoping to save at least a part of his army, Rupert called for a treaty.

Fairfax granted honourable terms. All the Royalist troops were allowed to march out of Bristol with colours flying. Their artillery, stores and ammunition were left behind. The surrender of Bristol enraged King Charles. Encouraged by Lord Digby into believing that Rupert had betrayed him, Charles abruptly dismissed Rupert and his officers from his service."

Source: http://www.british-civil-wars.co.uk/milita...tol.htm#bristol

Well done OC. Pet subject of mine history - at my age I was in most of it :D

Well done OC. Pet subject of mine history - at my age I was in most of it :D

We are the People - G Block Dolman did chant !!!!!!!

Now this document in the national archives really is my favourite, it's the declaration by Parliament - on 19th May 1649 - making England a Republic :englandsmile4wf: ........

c204-9.jpg

Be it declared and enacted by this present Parliament and by the Authoritie of the same That the People of England and of all the Dominions and Territoryes thereunto belonging are and shall be and are hereby constituted made established and confirmed to be a Commonwealth and free State And shall from henceforth be Governed as a Commonwealth and Free State by the supreame Authoritie of this Nation the Representatives of the People in Parliam[ent] and by such as they shall appoint and constitute as Officers and Ministers under them for the good of the People and that without any King or House of Lords.

Another set of coincidences. (please correct if wrong).

Last derby at Easyville - City victory!

Last derby at Twerton - City victory!

This might be the last derby at the Mem if those pikeys decide to move again!

The omens are good my friend. :dance:

Easyville = Eastville, therefore Trumpton = Twerton? :w00t:

Archived