IGNORED

Steve Philips

Cider_Army

Apologies for ranting and sounding like a pratt but I'm very hungover!

Was anyone else appalled at his 'we are not worthy' bowing to the gas fans last night? After we paid his wages for how long? Also there is a scathing attack on GJ in the evil post this morning. (heroically releases after the game just to make sure he's not made to look like a fool).

He claims that he did have competition throughout his years at City. Now I'm sorry but as far as i'm concerned Boaz Myhill was never competition, nor really was stowell , gould etc. The guy said he moved to the dark side because its the way he wanted his carreer to go. the guy is a effing joke and personally I will be glad to be totally shot of him after next weeks second leg.

Rant over, you may continue with your business :whistle2:

Was anyone else appalled at his 'we are not worthy' bowing to the gas fans last night? After we paid his wages for how long? Also there is a scathing attack on GJ in the evil post this morning. (heroically releases after the game just to make sure he's not made to look like a fool).

He claims that he did have competition throughout his years at City. Now I'm sorry but as far as i'm concerned Boaz Myhill was never competition, nor really was stowell , gould etc. The guy said he moved to the dark side because its the way he wanted his carreer to go. the guy is a effing joke and personally I will be glad to be totally shot of him after next weeks second leg.

I can see both sides to the Phillips thing but overall I just think it's a real shame how it ended.

He didn't like losing his place, who would? He didn't get on with Johnson, he was not alone. And I actually think it was harsh to drop him last season- he had been one of the best players early on. That said, this is where he started to do things wrong in my opinion- he just didn't know when to stop the rant.

If he wanted to play first team football then fine. If he wanted to stay local and go to Rovers then fine (though I think he could have done better, it's up to him where he goes).

The problem is that he KEEPS going public and slating GJ and I think City fans take this as an attack on BCFC. He's like a jilted lover who, I think, clearly still feels the pain of what happened at City. While he may or may not have a good reason- it would be far better for him to just get on with things.

He's a good keeper and can still play at a higher level- I wish him no harm. Just hope he can learn to get on with things.

Fianl point- I thought he played very well last night.

There are some players who have handled occasions like last night with better dignity than Phillips. The posing for photos during the warm up was, for me, throw up material.

However, just remember that when the Gas finds a better keeper ( shouldn`t take long ) Phillips will throw his dummy again and`ll ship out to another basement club and then.i can picture it now. Posing with Boston Utd supporters during the warm up at the Mem :laugh:

PDG

Thing that also got me was, my dad was chatting to him during the week and apprently he seemed like a totally nice guy, very well spoken and generally looking for city to do well.

Perhaps it is more brilliant incisive journalism from the evil post!

I suppourted him through thick and thin while he was here and for him to treat this club and the fans the way he has been doing is disgraceful/

Sooo are we to expect old SP to go give the williams a thumbs up and applause then?

As my compadre Mesa has said, what a disgrace he wants to applaud the fans of BRFC.....

Who he funnily enough plays for :violin:

Like i said before. Lets see your thoughts when he`s stoking up Boston supporters at the Mem in the not too distant future.

PDG

I don't think he's dealt with it well, but I do feel sorry for him.

After 10 years of great service to the club, he (allegedly?) lost his place for non-footballing reasons to a weaker keeper (let's face it, it took a while for Basso to come good). And it wasn't a quiet fall from grace either. Before he'd even left the club, our vociforous fans had turned on him. The "keeper of the year" awards forgotten, excellent prior performances forgotten, his testimonial effectively down the pan and his ten years of service condensed into one word - "Flapper".

I'd be a bit pissed off too...

Guest MaloneFM

Nice touch at the end. Basso went over to shake his hand. Flappy turned his back.

Then went down to the gas and gave the 'we are not worthy' which they ate up and held up a nil-nil sign with his hands.

Nice guy Flappy.

Scum

Nice touch at the end. Basso went over to shake his hand. Flappy turned his back.

Then went down to the gas and gave the 'we are not worthy' which they ate up and held up a nil-nil sign with his hands.

Nice guy Flappy.

Scum

If right, what an absolute loser, makes me want to beat these scummers even more on Tuesday.

Nice guy Flappy.

Scum

spot on, noticed that at the time, Basso went to congratulate a fellow pro and got blanked.

which totally sums up why he was bombed out of City! lack of respect

I do feel a bit sorry for Phillips...but to be fair he's such a baby. The bottom line is GJ got another keeper in to provide competition (which is fair enough). Phillips made 2 mistakes in successive games which resulted in us conceeding goals. Therefore he lost his place to Basso (again thats fair enough)...But flapper couldnt hack this competition and started to throw his toys out of the pram.

I did feel a bit sorry for him last night, but they way he keeps having a dig at this club is appalling...I didnt see the Basso handshake incident but if true then Phillips, you need to grow up

I do feel a bit sorry for Phillips...but to be fair he's such a baby. The bottom line is GJ got another keeper in to provide competition (which is fair enough). Phillips made 2 mistakes in successive games which resulted in us conceeding goals. Therefore he lost his place to Basso (again thats fair enough)...But flapper couldnt hack this competition and started to throw his toys out of the pram.

I did feel a bit sorry for him last night, but they way he keeps having a dig at this club is appalling...I didnt see the Basso handshake incident but if true then Phillips, you need to grow up

why don't you just let it go..its embarassing now,hes gone now,move on.

• Admin

Perhaps some fans are upset at being lied to, he was asked at his testimonial "Are you going to the gas" his reply "No, no way am I going to join them".

He repeated this shortly afterwards in the Ship & Castle, after a game, where in all fairness, he stood and talked to fans for a fair while, the blatant lies, whilst coaxing fans to support his testimonial events have left a fair few feeling very bitter towards him.

I don't think he's dealt with it well, but I do feel sorry for him.

After 10 years of great service to the club, he (allegedly?) lost his place for non-footballing reasons to a weaker keeper (let's face it, it took a while for Basso to come good). And it wasn't a quiet fall from grace either. Before he'd even left the club, our vociforous fans had turned on him. The "keeper of the year" awards forgotten, excellent prior performances forgotten, his testimonial effectively down the pan and his ten years of service condensed into one word - "Flapper".

I'd be a bit pissed off too...

I don't think he deserves any sympathy.

He lost his place in the team for footballing reasons - he'd lost his form and was dropped and he couldn't come to terms with it. Judging by his aftermatch comments, he still hasn't come to terms with it.

He dissed Basso last night. He dissed GJ. He dissed us all.

I'll not feel any sympathy for him. I'll never welcome him back to the Gate. Hero to Zero.

Some players who go back to their old clubs, refuse to celebrate after scoring, or, say in the press before what a great time they had at the club, Flapper spent 90 mins moaning at the ref and trying to get his old team-mates booked, then went to the scum end with the pathetic "I'm not worthy" stunt.

Anyone would think he moved to Man United, the way he was carrying on.

The man is a tool, and I can't remember EVER having complete confidence in him to last 90 minutes without cocking-up in some shape or form.

The Pikeys are more than welcome to him.

I don't really care about phillips, I saw he did the we are not worthy thing. It reminded me of when a young lad splits up from his girlfriend and hasnt got over her so makes a fuss of his new girlfriend in front of the ex to make it look like he is over her. Obviously phillips is slightly more petulant though! At the end of the day, he had 1 save to make, which is what I am more upset about. I did like the "Oh Basso" chants though, everyone knew who they were directed at and it was quite funny!

Si

Nice guy Flappy.

Scum

I've been critical of Basso in the past, but his form since September has been spot on.

When Phillips was dropped he was playing very poorly with goals going in that he would definitely have saved a few seasons before, so it was based on form, nothing else.

However what differentiates the two of them is stuff like Malone has mentioned, how did Basso react to Weale playing? The way a decent pro should, and that's exactly how Weale has been whilst he has been on the bench, too.

I don't think for one minute that GJ made the wrong decision when ditching Phillips and sticking with Basso now.

• Admin

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode...;pNodeId=144965

Steve Phillips has hit back at Gary Johnson's claim that he quit Bristol City because he did not want to fight for his place.

And the Bristol Rovers keeper - who moved from Ashton Gate to the Memorial Stadium over the summer - told Johnson to worry about his own side rather than him.

Speaking after he kept a clean sheet on his return to Ashton Gate in last night's 0-0 derby draw, Phillips said: "There were some things said by Mr Johnson about me not being able to handle competition.

"I'd just say Bo Myhill, Ben Foster, who now plays for England, Mike Stowell and Jonathan Gould - if you don't call them competition, then I don't know what is.

"What he said frustrated me a bit, but then what do you expect?

"The atmosphere is tense enough as it is without people making it worse. Maybe he thinks he can play on my weaknesses, but to be honest I think he ought to worry about his own team rather than me.

"I didn't leave Bristol City because I was scared of competition, it was because of the way I wanted my career to go.

"In the end, I wasn't even playing in the reserves at City but it wasn't for the want of trying - it was the way the manager wanted to set his team up."

Phillips acknowledged that Rovers would have taken the 0-0 draw that has set up an intriguing return next Tuesday.

"Most people would probably have expected us to have lost by three or four, but we were determined that wouldn't happen," said Phillips.

"For most of this season, with one or two exceptions, we have defended well and that was the case again here.

"I think I really only had to make one save from Wayne Andrews and luckily Steve Brooker put the rebound over the top. Brooks also hit the post and I know what a dangerous player he can be around the box.

"It was strange coming out of the away dressing room and I knew I'd be getting a bit of stick. It happened as soon as I came off the coach, which was earlier than I expected.

"But if I was a fan and a player had gone to the opposition, I'd probably give him some stick as well!"

Phillips believes Rovers are capable of pulling off victory next week.

He said: "The Memorial Stadium pitch is a bit treacherous and we will be more used to it than they are.

"I think the outcome is going to be settled by the odd goal, and if we can score first next week then hopefully we will be in the driving seat."

I don't really care about phillips, I saw he did the we are not worthy thing. It reminded me of when a young lad splits up from his girlfriend and hasnt got over her so makes a fuss of his new girlfriend in front of the ex to make it look like he is over her.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Its like splitting up with a really fit bird who your mates are all still friendly with, and you having to slum it with the ugly bird who has always promised things the other wouldnt - not that I'm speaking from experience here.........ive never had a fit bird!! But its like, look at me all these fans love me. The guy is falling out of the game, next stop Weston Super Mare.

I've been critical of Basso in the past, but his form since September has been spot on.

Me too. I think I even referred to him after the Cheltenham game as a 'Nice bloke, shit keeper'. But he has risen to the challenge of being a top league one keeper and facing competition from a very competent understudy. For Phillips to say he has had 'competition' from loan signings when he was here is a joke. They were 18/19 year olds not ready for 1st team action or an ageing keeper picking up a wage. Here's some advice Stevie old boy, the gas are going nowhere, leave now and join a team like Bath City who will pass Rovers in a short space of time, Up the Romans.

Totally agree mate, think he was totally out of order last night.

shows he never cared about city, only cares about himself.

we are better off without him by a long way.

Football has a funny way of working! acted like he was hero last night, next tues might be a whole different story!

<_<<_<

No players care about their club, just the money they get each week, except when u serve ten years for a club, you don't do that unles syour happy. I think bare carey,brooks and murray most of our players wouldn't care if they played for forest green as long as they were on good money. Because they have a funny way of showing passion on the pitch.

Archived