IGNORED

An Open Letter To Bristol Rovers Fans

Olé

I've got no objections to the guy wanting to make a point, and if he wants to behave like a ten year old in photos and insult more than he celebrates a win, then that's his own decision.

But what I dislike from anyone, our own players included, is the gross hypocrisy and disloyalty to supporters that you get from a small subset of professional footballers with too big an ego.

Let's get this straight, and I really hope the Rovers fans read this and take it in - my feelings on the match are immaterial, the Rovers were the better team over 45 minutes on their field.

1. When Phillips was established at Ashton Gate, he was the first and usually only club employee to make a point of criticising the club's supporters. His view of fans bordered on contemptuous.

2. The advent of the 'world' packages on the official site meant that you got more of him than you really needed and he would find time to moan about fans and their support at least once a month.

3. Whatever fleeting success we did have, he was (as he is now) only too happy to revel in the positives of support from fans in good times that he was so often otherwise quick to slag off.

4. After losing his place in the team, regardless of the rights and wrongs (but he had survived after a 1-7 at Swansea) he then went on to slag off his manager to fans at a club function.

5. He then joined Rovers which was right for all concerned. He made a number of remarks soon after this which in my view Johnson was only finally replying to last week, not the other way round.

6. I don't know what relationship he has had with Rovers fans to date but clearly in the past few weeks he's been propelled to hero status for no other reason than his significance to both clubs.

This is where I get particularly uncomfortable. You see for all the gesturing and celebrating I don't think his overall view of his self-importance and that of loyalty to fans has changed...

He would enjoy support of City fans who in another week he would indiscriminately slag off because of the attitude of a minority of critical or impatient fans. Because nothing was EVER his fault.

For him fans are people who simply help fund his lifestyle and provide support but whom he has no real loyalty towards and will turn on as required when seeking to defend his own position.

So this sudden love-in with Rovers fans is nothing new (I thought Rovers had other players more deserving of adulation over the two legs). It is, however, as hollow and sinister as it always is.

As I mentioned on here before the two ties, I have had first hand reliable reports that three weeks ago Phillips was telling anyone who'd listen that he wants to leave Rovers this summer.

I won't go into where this happened or how I know, but it wasn't bravado on a night out, it was in a context where he was simply passing on his personal intentions, holding his own counsel.

I couldn't care less what his plans are, but what I despise is a player who continues to think he is so important that he can be quite so open about betraying people who come to support him.

That is what I find disgusting. He is reveling in all the support right now and enjoying all the positives yet in trademark fashion he had already made far more disparaging comments about their club.

Rovers were apparently not good enough for him just a few weeks ago when he outlined his plans, now he wants to be their centre of attention. That is simply cheating his Rovers fans and teammates.

Gasheads, this is a genuine view of his conduct more as a fellow football fan than as being vindictive. For all his ability on the pitch, his attitude off it stinks and does no one any favours.

You've just won temporary bragging rights, don't let someone so self-centred and self-regarding take the glory as he is the last person to deserve the 'high ground' or appreciation from fans.

• Admin

I can add to this, at his testimonial game, he assured fans who asked him, that he most certainly wasn't joining rovers. He repeated this to someone who was helping him out with his testimonial events and also fed us this line when he was talking to us in the Ship & Castle after a game one Saturday. (He was in there in connection with testimonial events).

Most fans can accept that players move on, even to local rivals, but why the need to lie to fans who are supporting your testimonial.

I've got no objections to the guy wanting to make a point, and if he wants to behave like a ten year old in photos and insult more than he celebrates a win, then that's his own decision.

But what I dislike from anyone, our own players included, is the gross hypocrisy and disloyalty to supporters that you get from a small subset of professional footballers with too big an ego.

Let's get this straight, and I really hope the Rovers fans read this and take it in - my feelings on the match are immaterial, the Rovers were the better team over 45 minutes on their field.

1. When Phillips was established at Ashton Gate, he was the first and usually only club employee to make a point of criticising the club's supporters. His view of fans bordered on contemptuous.

2. The advent of the 'world' packages on the official site meant that you got more of him than you really needed and he would find time to moan about fans and their support at least once a month.

3. Whatever fleeting success we did have, he was (as he is now) only too happy to revel in the positives of support from fans in good times that he was so often otherwise quick to slag off.

4. After losing his place in the team, regardless of the rights and wrongs (but he had survived after a 1-7 at Swansea) he then went on to slag off his manager to fans at a club function.

5. He then joined Rovers which was right for all concerned. He made a number of remarks soon after this which in my view Johnson was only finally replying to last week, not the other way round.

6. I don't know what relationship he has had with Rovers fans to date but clearly in the past few weeks he's been propelled to hero status for no other reason than his significance to both clubs.

This is where I get particularly uncomfortable. You see for all the gesturing and celebrating I don't think his overall view of his self-importance and that of loyalty to fans has changed...

He would enjoy support of City fans who in another week he would indiscriminately slag off because of the attitude of a minority of critical or impatient fans. Because nothing was EVER his fault.

For him fans are people who simply help fund his lifestyle and provide support but whom he has no real loyalty towards and will turn on as required when seeking to defend his own position.

So this sudden love-in with Rovers fans is nothing new (I thought Rovers had other players more deserving of adulation over the two legs). It is, however, as hollow and sinister as it always is.

As I mentioned on here before the two ties, I have had first hand reliable reports that three weeks ago Phillips was telling anyone who'd listen that he wants to leave Rovers this summer.

I won't go into where this happened or how I know, but it wasn't bravado on a night out, it was in a context where he was simply passing on his personal intentions, holding his own counsel.

I couldn't care less what his plans are, but what I despise is a player who continues to think he is so important that he can be quite so open about betraying people who come to support him.

That is what I find disgusting. He is reveling in all the support right now and enjoying all the positives yet in trademark fashion he had already made far more disparaging comments about their club.

Rovers were apparently not good enough for him just a few weeks ago when he outlined his plans, now he wants to be their centre of attention. That is simply cheating his Rovers fans and teammates.

Gasheads, this is a genuine view of his conduct more as a fellow football fan than as being vindictive. For all his ability on the pitch, his attitude off it stinks and does no one any favours.

You've just won temporary bragging rights, don't let someone so self-centred and self-regarding take the glory as he is the last person to deserve the 'high ground' or appreciation from fans.

...........lovely long essay that shakespeare would`ve been proud of....but you could have just cut it down to two words......

.............SOUR GRAPES..!!!!!!

was a bit of an essay, but have to agree with most of the points. I have absolutely no respect for steve phillips now, i'm a little annoyed GJ spoke in the press about him, because it was just inticing a reaction from him.

I'm not concerned one bit though, why? cos hes out of the club, gone now. Not only have we got two of the best keepers in the division now in our side, but we know they won't be criticising each other, and have full respect for each others ability.

Rovers really are welcome to him, if he was as good as he thinks he is he would have had league one, championship clubs after him. seems to me he only signed for rovers, cos no one else wanted him.

I'm interested in how every paragraph is almost exactly the same length. Are you a robot?

OCD actually. Everything has to have a consistent form or shape. Surprised I survived our formations over the two JPT legs... :D

What a pathetic post!

So many City fans have come on here to slate SP he must have really got to you.

Why can't you just accept he was pushed out by GJ, chose to cross the river because it suited his family needs & let him get on with his life whilst you get on with yours.

These SP threads are now getting a little tedious, don't you have your players failings to discuss?

From what I saw last night you appear to be a mediocre team in a poor league where any of 10 teams could make the playoffs but I forgot you are going for straight promotion which means you must get into 2nd place as the champion slot has been filled by S****horpe who appear to be in the driving seat.

I fear you may have further dissapointment to follow.

Happy days.

...........lovely long essay that shakespeare would`ve been proud of....but you could have just cut it down to two words......

Silly little tinpot SAG. Who gives a flying F2ck about last night? Rovers are pointless. You should really cling on to this moment, it's the only level of success (if you can all it that) you've had since way before Hollowhead left and there is NOTHING on the horizon. Bye Bye Gas.

What a pathetic post!

Why can't you just accept he was pushed out by GJ, chose to cross the river because it suited his family needs & let him get on with his life whilst you get on with yours.

These SP threads are now getting a little tedious, don't you have your players failings to discuss?

From what I saw last night you appear to be a mediocre team in a poor league where any of 10 teams could make the playoffs but I forgot you are going for straight promotion which means you must get into 2nd place as the champion slot has been filled by S****horpe who appear to be in the driving seat.

Happy days.

Never mind how meddiocre our team are in a poor league. Your team are even worse !

The league table doesnt lie and your boys aint all that to say the least.

Enjoy your day in Cardiff as it will be your only chance of any success for years.

We may or may not have more dissapointment to follow, but hey it isn't as bad as a lowly bottom league second rate outfit.

Now get in your taxi and PIS* off and let City fans talk about whatever they want on their own forum!!!!

What a pathetic post!

Happy days.

.....HAHA...AT LAST A POSTING THAT MAKES SOME SENSE.....WELL DELIVERED !!!

Never mind how meddiocre our team are in a poor league. Your team are even worse !

The league table doesnt lie and your boys aint all that to say the least.

Enjoy your day in Cardiff as it will be your only chance of any success for years.

We may or may not have more dissapointment to follow, but hey it isn't as bad as a lowly bottom league second rate outfit.

Now get in your taxi and PIS* off and let City fans talk about whatever they want on their own forum!!!!

well said

What a pathetic post!

Happy days.

Your comments regards Citys position in the League and asperations for promotion are totaly unnessary. The comments made were the posters opinion based on his knowledge of Mr Phillips. The poster was gracious enough to say that Rovers played the better and did not critisise the club at all. Pull your head in and accept what most City fans to be correct regards Mr Phillips. his comments were to warn rovers fans that when it suits he will be turning on thwe fans rather than except his own failings.

What a pathetic post!

Happy days.

If it is getting tedious then sod off you gashead.

before i make this statement, its not sour grapes.

if steve phillips was at city now, he would be citys no3 goalie on merit.

basso is a goalkeeper in the last 5 months that as picked up points with some of his performances, he did cost us the odd one yes(bradford) but over this season so far has showed more quality than phillips ever did.

i also think basso days as no1 are numbered and if garry j thinks that much of weale, then he must be quality.

I'm just glad we have 2 keepers who i realy don't care that much whos in and whos on the bench, 1 think is for sure, there both better keepers than phillips.

Oh reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeturn to sender, content is crap. Oh reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeturn to sender, our Steeeeeeeeevie don't flap. Oh reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeturn to sender, the Gas won one nil. Oh reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeturn to sender so did Old Bill.

Chin up.

Oh reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeturn to sender, content is crap. Oh reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeturn to sender, our Steeeeeeeeevie don't flap. Oh reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeturn to sender, the Gas won one nil. Oh reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeturn to sender so did Old Bill.

Chin up.

It's funny, my post was actually complimentary to Rovers and simply made an unrelated but informed point about Steve Phillips conduct which was intended for your benefit. The fact that every single Gashead response has been something of this kind, demonstrates transparently that none of you can actually read.

Please don't feel any of you need to now reply again to this with more of your yapping, because save for editing your original responses, the proof of the consistent stupidity in each and every Rovers fans' reply is now recorded above for all to see, there isn't much more you can add, you already look stupid.

Next time don't make such inane replies without checking what you're replying to. If you'd prefer to ignore the main point about his recent conduct in betraying you and award him with some kind of folklore status then that's your own prerogative, I don't know why I bothered giving you insight into his behaviour.

I know you've been in the basement for a long time and come depressingly close to relegation to the conference, but I didn't realise as football fans that you had lost so much pride during that time that you're now willing to cling onto anything resembling a hero, even someone who has so openly plotted to leave you.

Yawn! Certaibn of our fans spend Months on here giving him pathetic abuse, and 180 minutes during the two games giving the guy some pretty bad verbals, and then wonder why he is rather enjoying the victory.

Relevance? Check your facts, I spent nearly a decade supporting the guy home and away from the days of Lennartsson to the days of Johnson, and all between, including some fairly hopeless flapping in Tinnion's first season that cost us a play-off place (Chesterfield at home anyone).

Yet whenever the team did not perform, threw away promotion opportunities, or was subject to isolated criticism from a minority of our fans (in particular during Wilson's tenure) it wouldn't take long for Phillips, and Phillips alone, to be interviewed slagging supporters in general off. I assume that includes you.

I care little about him being at Rovers and I have given him no abuse, pathetic or otherwise, since he joined them, or over the two matches this month. He can enjoy the victory for whatever reasons he wants, my point was about his arrogant betrayal of whoever supports him. As for 'Yawn!' if you're tired, go to bed.

....WHY, DOES IT ANNOY YOU SOUR-GRAPE BOY????

What are you still doing here sonny. Now be a good boy and go back to Saghead land because your little bit of glory will be finished on April 1st and then you will all be holding your heads down again.

Where be that Gshead too

I know where he be,

He's no longer up with us

And they will NEVER be!!

Guest DrFaustus

Very true. The original poster does seem rather bitter.

It seems to me Rovers fans like to have their heads buried in the sand.

And for what its worth to any Sag Arsehat, up until recently I was a Phillips fan taking plenty of flak from most of this lot on here.

Being a fan of Goalkeepers, my favourite City keeper of the last 20+ years was always Phillips but his recent actions have soured my opinion of him which is a shame.

As for many on here I won't be telling you to "Enjoy your day out" because you won't.....

Donny are going to absolutely tank you :laugh:

Archived