IGNORED

Team v Chesterfield

Bristol Boy

GJ could keep things simple and select the same team that beat Ntn, injuries permitting of course.

On the other hand we, once again, failed to kill off our opposition and GJ could be tempted to get more goal scorers involved in ES or PJ.

With Scot Murray probably out for at least ten days, all the other walking wounded seem the have recovered so we could well see Weale & Russell possibly, plus Showunmi & McAllister, probably involved in the squad at least.

If they were available, I'd go for:

........BASSO................

.............KEOGH...........MCCOMBE.........CAREY..................

BETSY...JOHNSON........SKUSE..............NOBLE......MCALLISTER........

........BROOKER........SHOWUNMI.............

SUBS

WEALE

JEVONS

FONTAINE

WILSON

ORR

With City still playing two games a week for the next fortnight, we'll need to utilise all of our squad and playing three centre backs may bring Partridge into contention before the seasons end.

Chesterfield on a Wednesday night and no Smith?!

Surely his battling qualities would be pefect.

I don't think this is the sort of game to include Jevons' in from the start.

Sure you are not letting your blatant dislike for Jevons get the better of you again?

Remember he scored twice away last week in tough conditions. What is different about the Chesterfield game?

I still think he could be a key player in our promotion bid.

Chesterfield on a Wednesday night and no Smith?!

Surely his battling qualities would be pefect.

I don't think this is the sort of game to include Jevons' in from the start.

The problem with Smith is his lack of goals at this level and, as Jevons showed against BHA, he can score goals.I agree that he's more lightweight but he is our top scorer and, in fairness, he's fit more often than not.

The 3-5-2 looked strong on Saturday (and we noticibly dropped off when we went 4-4-2) and I expect GJ to continue with that formation, we kept the ball better and passed our way forward without the big hoof to Brooker that we have seen before - key to that was the performance of Wilson and Betsy as w/backs, both looked very fit and full of running up and down the flanks.and I think GJ will stick with these 2........McAllister will have to fight his way back in.

Not to sure about Enoch starting............was dissapointing at Rovers - didn't seem to "want it", and Jevo was also dissapointing when he came on Saturday(more so given his superb strike at Brighton - he really does blow hot and cold) ).but Smith , although full of intelligent running, didn't look as if he had a goal in him.

So the big choice for GJ is between Enoch/Jevo/Smith..............and I think Smith will start as the game is away and he can defend from the front.

So - unchanged - with a goal from Brooker to settle it!

CodeRed

PS - is "The Cheif" expected to start..?? .. surely he can't still be playing (according to my stats he will be 39 this year - and last wore the red shirt 12 years ago!)

The problem with Smith is his lack of goals at this level and, as Jevons showed against BHA, he can score goals.I agree that he's more lightweight but he is our top scorer and, in fairness, he's fit more often than not.

I'd agree, and if I was GJ I would be considering the second strikers slot next to Brooker a nice little headache.

After listening to the game on World, watching the highlights and reading your report I was impressed by Smith's industry. His work in drawing defenders in the build up to our goal can be seen in the highlights, and is an important contribution to it. His dart into the box at the near post both gave Brooker the space and time for a decent shot and Betsy the opening to attack the space at the far stick.

This isn't the type of thing we get from Jevons, but it isn't the sort of thing we should expect from him either. And I think it's a shame he didn't have longer in the 3-5-2 system before Fontaine was brought on to change the shape, because the arrangement of having both Noble and Johnson in the midfield might just be ideal for Jevons' style.

This system gives us much more movement through the middle, with the forwards able to play in mifielders running through the centre. They can also exploit the space this generates too, especially if playing against a flat back four. If you think back to Johnson's goal at Orient, Jevons has dropped off his striking partner and allowed a midfield runner to break through into a good position. He has the range of passing to make this work, and has a very good pair of shooting boots when gven space too, making this a system where I think he can profit.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jevons is given a shot in place of Smith on Wednesday, with Smudge being given the duty of 'Night Watchman' for the last thirty minutes or so. His constant running and movement could both help us look dangerous protecting a lead or pushing for a equaliser/winner. Away from the Gate this could prove to be an important factor in the coming games, and Smith has so far poven to be up for the (often thankless) challenge.

And although it sounds like LJ had a quite game, I am pleased we are playing a system that allows us both him and Noble to play together. I feel we might just see him play with a bit more freedom in 3-5-2. With the responsibilty to regain posession shared resting more with Skuse and the role of retaining possesion being shared with Noble, he will have more oppitunity to look for the complex 'hollywood' passes and get forward to shooting positions without us losing midfield cohesion. And with us also having Russell, who likes to play forward thinking football through the middle, we have an option to bring in for either LJ or Noble who would benifit from the flexibility and freedom this formation creates.

And just to go back to something mentioned in a thread before the Northampton game Bristol Boy; wasn't it nice to see some proper wing play with dangerous crossing! I think I remember both you and I first posting about how having crosses into Brooker and Enoch from a decent winger could be vital to our season back in the transfer window and then again last week. Now that seems to be happening (at least from the right flank) all we need is Enoch to get back to fitness!

Sure you are not letting your blatant dislike for Jevons get the better of you again?

Remember he scored twice away last week in tough conditions. What is different about the Chesterfield game?

I still think he could be a key player in our promotion bid.

Eh?!

My blatent dislike is for Johnson Jr remember!

Ive given alot of support for Jevons up until recently when it seems running isnt part of his game.

It just seems a night game away from home against a team fighting relegation isnt quite Jevons' cup of tea and we don't want him to fade away as has happened in other away games.

Eh?!

My blatent dislike is for Johnson Jr remember!

Ive given alot of support for Jevons up until recently when it seems running isnt part of his game.

It just seems a night game away from home against a team fighting relegation isnt quite Jevons' cup of tea and we don't want him to fade away as has happened in other away games.

It's all about horses for courses and that's why I'm glad that GJ's gone away from a ridgid 4-4-2 on all occassions.

Recently results have been gained in 4-4-2-Oldham and 3-5-2 Ntn home & Blackpool away.It's all about players being comfortable and in a 3-5-2 we will have McAllister & Murray as cover or a change option on the bench which is always handy.

Just please stay away from 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 or anything that involves use of the hole, :blush: er, if you get my drift, Gary!!

Chesterfields home form in the past few months has been pretty poor. Here are their last few home results;

Chesterfield 1-2 Nottm Forest

Chesterfield 3-0 Port Vale

Chesterfield 0-1 Bournemouth

Chesterfield 0-1 Brighton

Chesterfield 2-4 Crewe

That's 4 losses out of 5 games with most of the losses coming from bottom half of the table clubs.

This ones for the taking, just need to get up and at them from the off.

Chesterfields home form in the past few months has been pretty poor. Here are their last few home results;

Chesterfield 1-2 Nottm Forest

Chesterfield 3-0 Port Vale

Chesterfield 0-1 Bournemouth

Chesterfield 0-1 Brighton

Chesterfield 2-4 Crewe

That's 4 losses out of 5 games with most of the losses coming from bottom half of the table clubs.

This ones for the taking, just need to get up and at them from the off.

Trouble is so were Bmth, Cheltm & Orient!

That's our problem we're more likely to draw with them, then beat Forest!

True enough but I don't think Smith's going to score sitting on or even coming off the bench. He got into some good positions Saturday and I don't think it was any accident that our midfield players found themselves in a lot more space going forward. In this respect he did remind of Baz and he possibly will get the same treatment from those who don't recognise the "off the ball" aspect of the game.

I would stick to the same side, Wilson showed enough to continue in his role and Smith can soften them up before introducing Jevons to hold the ball and exploit the space when players tire. It worked well Saturday and we should have won by more.

plus Showunmi & McAllister, probably involved in the squad at least.

Whether or not Showunmi's injury following the Huddersfield game was genuine, GJ dropped him altogether from the squad against Northampton. From what he has been saying in interviews it seems to me that GJ has doubts over Enoch's commitment to the cause and as such he is fifth choice striker at the moment. Given that GJ appears to be someone who will very much stick to his guns, injuries and suspensions excepted, I would be a little surprised if he were to bring Enoch back into the squad any time soon.

Apart from that, I like the look of your team.

If it ain't broke don't fix it as far as I'm concerned. The team played well and 1-0 flattered Northampton then stick with it but maybe add a bit of quality to the bench such as McAllister and Enoch.

Unlike BB,I've always been an advocate on not changing a winning team unless you have to and would agree that the same 11 should start at Chesterfield on Wednesday.

The wing back system works well especially as when are going forward it gives Noble extra space and we saw what he create against N'hampton. That said City are quite capable of not showing up at Saltergate as we saw at Whadden Road.Lets hope they do.

My team for Wednesday night would be:

GK: Basso

CB: Carey

CB: McCombe

CB: Fontaine

RWB: Wilson

LWB: McAllister

CM: Skuse

CM: Johnson

CM: Noble

CF: Brooker

CF: Smith

S1: Weale

S2: Keogh

S3: Artus

S4: Betsy

S5: Jevons

This is assuming Showunmi isn't fit enough to start or if he is still firmly locked in the doghouse.

Archived