IGNORED

Never Change a Winning Team

Bemmyboy

Unless there are any injuries we don't know about, I can't see any reason to change the line up or Wednesday Night from Saturday's starting eleven. We have only conceded one goal in the last four away games (That in itself was from free kick which should never have been awarded) and I don't see any reason why you would swop Wilson for McCallister or Smith for either Jeavons/Andrews/Showumni.

If aint broke, don't fix it!

Unless there are any injuries we don't know about, I can't see any reason to change the line up or Wednesday Night from Saturday's starting eleven. We have only conceded one goal in the last four away games (That in itself was from free kick which should never have been awarded) and I don't see any reason why you would swop Wilson for McCallister or Smith for either Jeavons/Andrews/Showumni.

If aint broke, don't fix it!

We are lucky to have good cover in every area of the park, so I wouldn't be too worried if the personnel change a bit from Saturday, but I would like to see us continue with the 3 - 5 - 2 system....makes us look much better going forward.

"Never change a winning team", like most hard and fast rules, is too simple to be the best option in all situations.

The opposition changes, the conditions change, the players perform differently in training, all of this means that the manager should use his judgement.

Bear in mind that sticking to a rule like that means the team must drop points before there's an opportunity to improve it, something we can ill afford if we want automatic.

"Never change a winning team", like most hard and fast rules, is too simple to be the best option in all situations.

The opposition changes, the conditions change, the players perform differently in training, all of this means that the manager should use his judgement.

Bear in mind that sticking to a rule like that means the team must drop points before there's an opportunity to improve it, something we can ill afford if we want automatic.

If any manager changes a winning team without having to then he sends the wrong message out to the players concerned imo.Having a stronger bench is always an option. McAllister and Enoch should be back in the frame by Wednesday even though' the reserve game was called off.They both might good for a 20-30 min appearance.

City played well on Saturday with all the team putting in good peformances.No need to change either the formation nor the personal.

Assuming we haven't picked up any knocks i don't think GJ will change this winning team. Before the game we wanted the 100% fit and match fit players playing and with the reserve game off i'm not sure any of the players left out have the opportunity to come back in.

Most of our starting 11 IMO played on Saturday. But say if it was McCombe who was one of the players left out he'd be straight back in for me.

Other than perhaps a change in striking options i can't see any changes.

If any manager changes a winning team without having to then he sends the wrong message out to the players concerned imo.

I disagree.

I've played badly in a winning side before and I've seen City players do it countless times.

If a manager leaves a player who is training out of his skin on the bench whilst starting a player who is giving mediocre performances just because the team is winning he is not just giving the wrong message to the players he's hurting the team.

Also, the argument that you don't change a winning side utterly ignores tactical decisions. Playing a crap side at home is very different to playing a top team away for example.

It's far too simplistic a rule to actually work in practise which is why none of the top managers follow it.

I disagree.

I've played badly in a winning side before and I've seen City players do it countless times.

If a manager leaves a player who is training out of his skin on the bench whilst starting a player who is giving mediocre performances just because the team is winning he is not just giving the wrong message to the players he's hurting the team.

Also, the argument that you don't change a winning side utterly ignores tactical decisions. Playing a crap side at home is very different to playing a top team away for example.

It's far too simplistic a rule to actually work in practise which is why none of the top managers follow it.

As usual Nibor, you are spot on, 'don't change a winning side', tell that to Arsene, Fergie and 'The Chosen One', doesn't seem to do them too much harm.

As long as there are options, players stay fresher, opponents can't predict the tactics/personnel, and players are a bit hungrier with the knowledge that there is ccompetition.

As usual Nibor, you are spot on, 'don't change a winning side', tell that to Arsene, Fergie and 'The Chosen One', doesn't seem to do them too much harm.

As long as there are options, players stay fresher, opponents can't predict the tactics/personnel, and players are a bit hungrier with the knowledge that there is ccompetition.

The likes of Liverpool,Chelsea,Arsenal and so on have enormous squads which makes 'rotating' the players far more easy.They also have a heavier fixture list with the Champions League and international call ups.They also usually go far in the Cups.

Reading stick pretty much to the same players when they can as do Bolton,Fulham,Boro,Everton,Sheffield Utd and Blackburn

Lower league teams like of City simply don't have quality in depth - as we saw when losing to the gas over two legs with players are unavailable. It would be fantastic if Johnson had 22 players of equal ability - but the sad fact is that he doesn't and nor do many clubs.

The likes of Liverpool,Chelsea,Arsenal and so on have enormous squads which makes 'rotating' the players far more easy.They also have a heavier fixture list with the Champions League and international call ups.They also usually go far in the Cups.

Reading stick pretty much to the same players when they can as do Bolton,Fulham,Boro,Everton,Sheffield Utd and Blackburn

Lower league teams like of City simply don't have quality in depth - as we saw when losing to the gas over two legs with players are unavailable. It would be fantastic if Johnson had 22 players of equal ability - but the sad fact is that he doesn't and nor do many clubs.

We're not talking about rotation are we?

Rotation is an entirely separate argument, and for the record I don't agree with it because it doesn't work.

Even if we were discussing rotation, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea don't have 22 players of equal ability either and every single one of the teams you mentioned has made unforced changes to a winning side more than once this season. Well apart from Sheff Utd but that's only because they never win.

We're talking about "Never change a winning side". Note the first word.

I firmly believe you should play the XI players most likely to win the game. The fact that a certain XI players won the last game, against a different side, does not mean they are the most likely to win the next game.

I don't think the teams we are about to face over the remainder of the season demand that we make tactical changes. Winning comes from confidence and confidence comes from consistency of selection and trust in the players around you and in the manager's judgement.

Yes, if we hit a poor run of form by all means try different options, but I think the Rovers fiasco has clouded our judgement in regard to our recent league form, which has been very good.

As I said at the start of the thread, I can't see any reason to change things unless we have to, either by injury or loss of form and subsequent defeat.

History tells us that our level, success comes from consistent selection and team ethic, not from chopping and changing.

Comparetively, so have we and, if we gain automatic promotion we'll have played about 57 games this year.By Div Three standards we have a large squad

Reading stick pretty much to the same players when they can as do Bolton,Fulham,Boro,Everton,Sheffield Utd and Blackburn.

Reading put out a second string.......against Man Utd!! in both games and could have won.That's the beauty of having a squad and the other teams you mentioned have changed things consisistenly through injury, suspensions etc.We're not talking about Rotation for rotations sake we're talking about horses for courses and keeping players fresh and interested.

I don't know a club that does-Even Chelsea have "struggled" with Terry & Carvahlo missing lately.Wouldn't they be weakened if Drogba dropped out and aren't Arsenal weaker without Henry?

City have strength in depth,for example, we didn't look weaker when McCombe didn't play recently with Carey, Fontain & Keogh at the back.Muuray or Betsy wide right-debateable-Brooker or Showunmi up front?

There are reasons to keep things the same and reasons to change although, I really hope we stick to either 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 for the rest of the season.

Archived