IGNORED

Jamie Cooper details

Jay

Well done Brian and all concerned. There's an article about Jamie's ordeal on pages 2 and 3 of today's Observer, a shorter version of which can be found here.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/sto...rticle_continue

... Kate Adie picked up on this on BBC's Sunday AM this morning, basically letting the "powers that be" have it with both barrels over the shameful treatment of returning Servicemen

Yes, a superb response from everyone, well done to all who were involved in this gesture, and I have to say a special thanks to Redtop for all the hard work he has put in over the last week, well done mate............. agree with the everyone else about your jacket though mate !!!!

Brilliant stuff, well done to all concerned. Hope Jamie and family have a great day.

So angry with regard to how our service personnel are treated, penny pinching has led to the demise of military hospital care, shocking, absolutely shocking.

The fall of the great british empire continues methinks.

Red Top

It was good to put a face the the name (and a name to the jacket!) on Saturday. You and everyone else involved in this effort have done an amazing job - not only for Jamie but for Bristol football in general. There has always been animosity between the two sets of supporters and always will be ... at a footballing level. But beyond that we've been reminded that we're all Bristolians and that's a bond which will always unite us.

I heard you interviewed on Radio Bristol before the game on Saturday. My sons and I both smiled when you said that you hoped that Jamie would have a memorable day at the Millenium - one that, in years to come, he'd be able to tell his grandparents about! Colmanballs eh!

You're a legend sir and I salute you - very well done to you all and I hope that Jamie has a great day out.

Thanks to all who have offered their time, advice, encouragement and most of all money!

The Jamie Cooper appeal has now been closed, the Paypal button has been removed and I have added up the total. The reason is simple - due to your incredible generosity we have achieved inside less than a week exactly what we set out to do, and much more. There are still one or two cheques that may come in and will be added, but adding up everything else, at the close of the appeal the total raised is:

£3,005.42

This breaks down as:

£1,571.87 in cash

£958.55 via Paypal (after deductions)

£250.00 in cheques

£125.00 collected at Chesterfield (thanks Potbelly)

£100.00 from Potbelly's eBay auction (which might still go up)

To break the £3,000 barrier is a phenomenal effort from all of you - including the Rovers fans who also contributed - and I feel proud to have been part of something that brought together supporters of both clubs so visibly and to such a worthy end. It demonstrates just how strongly so many people believed in what we have all tried to do.

The helicopter is now booked. Jamie will leave Bristol at 10.30am on Sunday 1 April in a chopper with some of his family and best mate, while the rest will be chauffeured to Cardiff in style, meet him at the helipad there and travel with him to the ground. After the VIP day being arranged by the Gas, he will be driven back to the helipad at around 5pm and land back in Bristol at about 5.30pm. His family will chauffeured home. This is all down to you. The travel between Jamie's home and the helicopter in a very swish Bentley is being provided generously by a donor who runs an executive car company in Bristol. There are more logistics for me to arrange and a few little touches that I am hoping some of you will help with nearer the time, but I will tell you about this when I have sorted out what needs doing next.

Any money left over will go towards improving Jamie's welfare, and I am discussing this with his family at the moment. I know that people who gave will be happy with whatever they decide is best, and as promised I will keep you all informed of precisely how the money is spent. I know they are immensely grateful for what you have all done and I feel proud of what we have achieved together.

Well done one and all!

Brian

Thanks to all who have offered their time, advice, encouragement and most of all money!

The Jamie Cooper appeal has now been closed, the Paypal button has been removed and I have added up the total. The reason is simple - due to your incredible generosity we have achieved inside less than a week exactly what we set out to do, and much more. There are still one or two cheques that may come in and will be added, but adding up everything else, at the close of the appeal the total raised is:

£3,005.42

This breaks down as:

£1,571.87 in cash

£958.55 via Paypal (after deductions)

£250.00 in cheques

£125.00 collected at Chesterfield (thanks Potbelly)

£100.00 from Potbelly's eBay auction (which might still go up)

To break the £3,000 barrier is a phenomenal effort from all of you - including the Rovers fans who also contributed - and I feel proud to have been part of something that brought together supporters of both clubs so visibly and to such a worthy end. It demonstrates just how strongly so many people believed in what we have all tried to do.

The helicopter is now booked. Jamie will leave Bristol at 10.30am on Sunday 1 April in a chopper with some of his family and best mate, while the rest will be chauffeured to Cardiff in style, meet him at the helipad there and travel with him to the ground. After the VIP day being arranged by the Gas, he will be driven back to the helipad at around 5pm and land back in Bristol at about 5.30pm. His family will be driven to meet him when he lands and they will be taken home. This is all down to you. There are more logistics for me to arrange and a few little touches that I am hoping some of you will help with, but I will tell you about this when I have sorted out what needs doing next.

Any money left over will go towards improving Jamie's welfare, and I am discussing this with his family at the moment. I know that people who gave will be happy with whatever they decide is best, and as promised I will keep you all informed of precisely how the money is spent. I know they are immensely grateful for what you have all done and I feel proud of what we have achieved.

Well done one and all!

Brian

Don't forget Chiv's washer Brian! Brilliant result - I even want The Gas to win myself now. Better have a lie down. I think we're all proud of you too mate!

YOU'VE DONE JAMIE PROUD

TODAYS EVENING POST STORY

JamieCooper-1.jpg

Bristol City fans have raised almost £3,000 for Iraq war hero Jamie Cooper - who will be flying to Cardiff in a helicopter to see Bristol Rovers play.

Half of that amount was raised at Saturday's home match against Brentford, where fans showed "overwhelming generosity" by throwing notes and coins into collection buckets around the ground.

Money has also been collected via an online Paypal account - which has now been closed as the target amount of £1,650 has been reached.

The helicopter has been booked and left-over money will be spent on transporting the rest of Jamie's family and friends - who will not be flying - to the Millennium Stadium.

Funds will also be spent on rehabilitation aids for Jamie, 18, who lost the use of his left leg after he was hit by two mortar bombs while serving for the Green Jackets Regiment in Basra.

Phillip Cooper, 48, from Kingswood, said he has nothing but gratitude and thanks for the City fans, particularly organiser Brian Flynn, for helping raise money for Jamie - a diehard Bristol Rovers fan.

He said: "It has been fantastic - Jamie and I cannot believe it. We certainly didn't expect £3,000. Brian was telling me about how people were walking around the pitch just to put money in the bucket".

"We've been overwhelmed by it all".

"The money will pay for a helicopter and what's left over will go towards some rehab aid for Jamie - whether it's a wheelchair or a support frame. We won't know until we get to that stage but that's where it will go - on supporting Jamie in the future."

City fan Brian Flynn, a 35-year-old journalist and former Post reporter, organised the campaign to raise funds for Jamie, and was at City's game on Saturday with a collection bucket.

Brian said that although the Jamie Cooper Fund has reached around £2,900 and has finished, he is still expecting a few more cheques will arrive in the post over the coming days.

He said: "We have closed the appeal because we have done what we intended and more".

"At Saturday's match people were literally queuing to give money".

"We had a collection in the Red N White bar and outside as well as in the Dolman Stand. The club put out an announcement on the PA system saying three of us were collecting".

"I lost count of the number of times people threw things in the buckets and there was no clink of coins because they had thrown in notes. Probably more than 1,000 people donated at the game".

"And the chief executive of Macclesfield Town Football Club even heard and sent me an email asking if they could send a signed shirt to Jamie".

"We had a much bigger response than we were expecting - it has been extraordinary."

Jamie's family have complained about the way their son was treated in Selly Oak Hospital in Birmingham - where he twice contracted MRSA.

Come on own up, who has told Red Top I've got a Potbelly :pacifier:

Congratulations to Brian for all his hard work on this, believe me he has put an awful lot of time and effort in. And also a BIG thank you to each and everyone that donated excellent stuff.

My sincere apologies. As everyone knows, it was indeed Cheshire Red who collected at Chesterfield, while Potbelly is running an auction. Thanks due to you both.

Nice to see the Evening Post and the rest of the local media following the campaign and giving it coverage, too.

With all these typo`s i would like to make it clear and public that Cheshire Red has never actually had Potbelly.

There was an incident during the last Promotion year when i passed out in the R&W for a couple of minutes but i think that was DaveL.

I agree there Arn.... It's all about Human beings doing what Human beings should do....ie: Help others in need.

He's one of us.....He's a football supporter (albeit Blue) and a bloody brave one at that.

Well done to EVERYONE who has helped to get this campaign sorted.

RRL

Listen you lot,the efforts made have been out of this world,and i have never seen this happen with such a team spirit shown by yourselves...

You have shown what its really all about,compassion,empathy,and an understanding of a fellow human being..be proud very proud as i know you are..

now just get promoted and out of our sites for good..well a few seasons anyway..respect to you all lads.

Well done Brian and all concerned. There's an article about Jamie's ordeal on pages 2 and 3 of today's Observer, a shorter version of which can be found here.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/sto...rticle_continue

After reading that Guardian newspaper article I feel deeply ashamed as an Englishman to be represented by such a corrupt and loathesome Government that would see our wounded soldiers treated in such a way.

The ray of hope in all this horror is that there are people like RedTop and Cheshire_Red and the thousands of others that, unlike our scum political leadership, care about their fellow countrymen and women.

Listen you lot,the efforts made have been out of this world,and i have never seen this happen with such a team spirit shown by yourselves...

You have shown what its really all about,compassion,empathy,and an understanding of a fellow human being..be proud very proud as i know you are..

now just get promoted and out of our sites for good..well a few seasons anyway..respect to you all lads.

Good on you Phil.............

After reading that Guardian newspaper article I feel deeply ashamed as an Englishman to be represented by such a corrupt and loathesome Government that would see our wounded soldiers treated in such a way.

The ray of hope in all this horror is that there are people like RedTop and Cheshire_Red and the thousands of others that, unlike our scum political leadership, care about their fellow countrymen and women.

THE PEOPLE OF OUR COUNTRY ARE TRULY GREAT,YOUR ACTIONS KEEP THE GREAT IN GREAT BRITAIN

Just a thought Cider Reds and blue crew on here:

How about the money raised from this years fans derby, going towards Jamies care and needs. Lets show the guy our gratitude for his duty.

Over to you guys for your opinions

Here is a link to a piece written by Brian (RedTop) about what us City fans are doing for Jamie and why. It explains exactly what he has been through and why he deserves his day.

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news...cle000280.shtml

If you wish to donate, please use the contact details provided in this article or buy clicking the 'donate' button at the top of the main otib menu.

Thanks.

as an ex serviceman i think what everyone has done is fantastic forget the rivalry you should all be proud of yourselves :englandsmile4wf:

Archived