IGNORED

Calm Determination

Nibor

A great result tonight, coupled with Forest playing terribly and two winnable looking home fixtures coming up. There is every reason for optimism and our fate is in our own hands. Things are looking great.

However it's worth putting things in some perspective. Even if we win the next two games - and remember that though we look certs on paper against relegation battlers anything can happen - they are followed by tough away fixtures. Donny and Crewe away will be challenging and a point from each would be good, but even that gives opportunities to other sides and it wouldn't be the first time there's been many twists in the business end of a season. We also lost Brooker to injury again tonight, god knows how long for, and everyone can see the difference he can make when he's playing.

Gary Johnson is absolutely right to say that the players must stay focused and professional and it was great to hear that echoed by David Noble in his interview after the game. He was very clear that the players are looking at each game in turn because they know that if they do that the rest takes care of itself.

The fans need to do the same. Let's not get carried away on the promotion bandwagon, concentrate on getting behind the team and temper that optimism a little with the knowledge that things can change so quickly.

I believe that the mentality in the crowd often translates to the players on the pitch. If we expect an easy win then it's possible so will the players, and that's not what we need. Hope, calm determination and shitload of noise - not expectation - are what the players need from us in the stands on Saturday.

A great result tonight, coupled with Forest playing terribly and two winnable looking home fixtures coming up. There is every reason for optimism and our fate is in our own hands. Things are looking great.

However it's worth putting things in some perspective. Even if we win the next two games - and remember that though we look certs on paper against relegation battlers anything can happen - they are followed by tough away fixtures. Donny and Crewe away will be challenging and a point from each would be good, but even that gives opportunities to other sides and it wouldn't be the first time there's been many twists in the business end of a season. We also lost Brooker to injury again tonight, god knows how long for, and everyone can see the difference he can make when he's playing.

Gary Johnson is absolutely right to say that the players must stay focused and professional and it was great to hear that echoed by David Noble in his interview after the game. He was very clear that the players are looking at each game in turn because they know that if they do that the rest takes care of itself.

The fans need to do the same. Let's not get carried away on the promotion bandwagon, concentrate on getting behind the team and temper that optimism a little with the knowledge that things can change so quickly.

I believe that the mentality in the crowd often translates to the players on the pitch. If we expect an easy win then it's possible so will the players, and that's not what we need. Hope, calm determination and shitload of noise - not expectation - are what the players need from us in the stands on Saturday.

Agreed...

come on lets fill ashton gate saturday and make some noise :englandsmile4wf::englandsmile4wf:

I agree Nibor. I also think that the league table changes things now and we will find out new things about our players.

It is one thing to be chasing. But we are now in possession of one of the two automatic spots and psychologically that is very different. We will now see if our players have the bottle, the confidence and the belief to hold on to that spot.

I believe GJ is getting the players mentally right for that challenge and I believe ourplayers can do it. But you are right, the only way to do it is (cliche alert) one game at a time.

Yeah, although vibes are buzzing all over the place tonight and after four straight League victories leaving us right in the mixer at this stage of the season you'd expect them to be, the resilliance and bollox to see a job through though is the all important attribute I find and that assault hasn't even started yet. I predict a S****horpe wobble yet but they ain't my concern.

Come on you reds! - LET'S DO IT! :bruce_h4h:

It is one thing to be chasing. But we are now in possession of one of the two automatic spots and psychologically that is very different. We will now see if our players have the bottle, the confidence and the belief to hold on to that spot.

:D Snap post.

I prefer ''resilliance and bollox'' though

It works out that cannot afford to drop more than 13 points in the last 11 games if they are to reach the estimated tally needed to get automatic promotion of 85 points.

Even if City lose at Donny and Crewe that would still leave another 7 points....... :fingerscrossed:

• Admin
I agree Nibor. I also think that the league table changes things now and we will find out new things about our players.

I believe GJ is getting the players mentally right for that challenge and I believe ourplayers can do it. But you are right, the only way to do it is (cliche alert) one game at a time.

Listening to a few interviews lately it would appear the players haven't given up hope of catching Scunny yet so that may work in our favour. Whilst we may have moved into 2nd, that won't mean a jot if all along, in their minds, they were chasing down Scunny rather than Forest. To that end, the best result on Saturday for me would be a Scunny/Forest draw, move 2 further points ahead of Forest whislt again drawing Scunny yet closer.

Listening to a few interviews lately it would appear the players haven't given up hope of catching Scunny yet so that may work in our favour. Whilst we may have moved into 2nd, that won't mean a jot if all along, in their minds, they were chasing down Scunny rather than Forest. To that end, the best result on Saturday for me would be a Scunny/Forest draw, move 2 further points ahead of Forest whislt again drawing Scunny yet closer.

Definately a draw would be great for us. We win Saturday and our game in hand tuesday, we move to 3 points behind S****horpe.

S****horpe 74......City 71.....Forest 64.

That top of the table will suit me just fine next tuesday, with 9 matches to go.

Totally agree but I wouldn't mind a pound for every time we've been in this position and screwed it up.

When you look at Brookers contribution to our season, and I'm a fan, it's been negligible and I'll be OK providing one of SB & ES is fit.I've actually given up hope of seeing them together in a striking partnership (still our best IMHO) for more than 10/15 games a season.Smith may be able to do the target man role but, on what I've seen, won't replace either of them in the medium or long term.

Best way and it also stops that mental tiredness creeping in

As the games against the Gas showed, three or four injuries/absences can make a huge difference and, whilst our defence looks good imagine if we lost Carey, McCombe, Fontaine & Keogh in the sam way as we lost our four wide players against Rovers.

It's the classic Chicken & Egg situation and one breeds the other.We need a bright start ala, yesterday evening and the fans will be right behind the team.GJ must do his bit and set the team up correctly and, at present, for me, that's 3-5-2, even moreso when Murray's fit as he gives us natural cover at RWB and is a good impact player on the flank as a sub if we need to change.

Our bench looked strong last night and that also makes a huge difference as players know if they don't do it they'll be replaced and that replacement may last 5/6 games!

Archived