IGNORED

Jevons

swindlered

Jevons is quite clinical in front of goal. If given a good opportunity inside the box then he is virtually nailed on to make the keeper have to work hard or score. Given this should he have scored more than 15 goals this season? If yes is it his fault for not putting himself in a position to be able to score more goals or is he playing in a system which doesn't cater to his strengths meaning that chances are not being created for him?

I think Jevons is a very good squad player because whilst he can be inconsistent over a number of consecutive games, he can also produce moments of brilliance ala Forest away in the JPT or Brighton away.

Having said that I don't think it has helped him having to play alongside a variety of strike partners.

At this level he suffers from having neither pace nor power, and from playing with a different partner each week.

Good finisher, good technique and vision. Scores goals, and I believe will score more in the division above where his technique will count more.

Lacks movement, could learn a thing or two in that respect from Smith. Decent player IMO, but not on a level with some of the great strikers we've had in the time I've watched City.

At this level he suffers from having neither pace nor power, and from playing with a different partner each week.

Good finisher, good technique and vision. Scores goals, and I believe will score more in the division above where his technique will count more.

Lacks movement, could learn a thing or two in that respect from Smith. Decent player IMO, but not on a level with some of the great strikers we've had in the time I've watched City.

I said pretty much the same today.

I think he has ability BUT he doent put himself about the pitch anywhere near enough. He needs to work harder and improve his movment. If he did this i think he would be very good.

I thought he was a decent player at this level, and was a good signing.

don't see whats wrong with the bloke but he doesnt look interested.

Looks pretty poor at this level right now, I thought he was clinical but is definately not.

Really cant see him coping in the division above.

:surrender:

OK but recently has struggled and , frankly most of the time looks disinterested. Having seen Smith at Chesterfield i felt he deserved to keep his place and IMO should have started alongside ES. Not much point in having competition for places if players are going to get back in the team when they are underperforming.

PDG

If he'd scored the two chances he had he'd have been magnificent.

If he'd missed the penalty he'd have been terrible.

As it was he was alright.

He's a technically good player who can run with the ball and usually finish adequately.

Don't know about him at the next level, don't know about any of our players at the next level really. He's good enough as is our squad to give himself the opportunity to find out though. But lets get there first before worrying about that.

If we go up, I've no doubt at all that he'll score goals, exactly what he is doing now. With the exception of the top sides in division 2, the rest are no better than in this division.

Disagree, I think the chamionship is a very competitive league and a higher standard of football. A big jump in quality I think.

I thought his performance today summed up why people like him and why people hate him.

He started off really well, some very neat touches, battling for everything and a nice penalty. But then he went missing for long periods and didn't get involved in play too much. I'd say his definitely our 3rd choice striker (just behind Brooker and Showunmi) but his critics should understand he's here to score goals and that's exactly what he's doing.

Some posters said he had no chance of getting 20 goals this season, but he's well on the way to doing that so overall I'm happy with his contribution.

Good player.

Over the past few seasons there have been plenty of posts along the lines of 'until we get a striker who puts away 20 goals we won't get promoted.'

Jevons should finish with 20+ goals and we should get promoted.

But we still moan..... :dunno:

Good post!

I think Jevons is an infuriating player, his movement and touch is very good but he doesn't do it on a regular basis. Today was a prime example, he was anonymous in the second half until he saw Smith stripped to come on, then he was like a man possessed and should have finished a good move to put us safe.

I think the style of Jevons, like Lee Johnson, will be better suited for the championship. If we get there... :fingerscrossed:

Good post!

I think Jevons is an infuriating player, his movement and touch is very good but he doesn't do it on a regular basis. Today was a prime example, he was anonymous in the second half until he saw Smith stripped to come on, then he was like a man possessed and should have finished a good move to put us safe.

I think the style of Jevons, like Lee Johnson, will be better suited for the championship. If we get there... :fingerscrossed:

I agree, especially in the case LJ. I was watching him with interest today, and he can do some specail things with the ball when he has the time/space. I guess (hope) time will tell on this.

I agree, especially in the case LJ. I was watching him with interest today, and he can do some specail things with the ball when he has the time/space. I guess (hope) time will tell on this.

When Johnson is good, he's very very good. When he is bad he has a shocker!

I'm a fan of his, Bournemouth away he was immense, as well as coventry away and various other occasions. He loves quick football on good pitches...let's pray birmingham go up so he doesn't have to tread water there!!

Looks pretty poor at this level right now, I thought he was clinical but is definately not.

I didn't think you had a problem with Jevons?

Ive given alot of support for Jevons up until recently when it seems running isnt part of his game.

6 days ago you said your only beef with Jevo was that he doesn't run enough in games after I questioned you on why you don't like him.

Now you are saying he is not clinical, poor at this level etc. Changed your tune a bit. :noexpression:

I think he is probably the most clinical finisher in our squad. I can't remember many circumstances where he has been through on goal in the penalty area and not tucked it away.

I think generally the service to him all season has been poor. The signing of Betsy was quite obviously to rectify this problem. Jevons is a player who thrives on low crosses to the box or wingers cutting in and laying the ball off to him.

16 goals this season is still quite impressive considering he was injured for a while and has not had the chance to build a decent partnership with another striker.

Disagree, I think the chamionship is a very competitive league and a higher standard of football. A big jump in quality I think.

I agree the Championship, well, the top 15 teams or so are very good, most ex premiership with retained premiership players.

Its bout the 6th biggest League in Europe in terms of attendances too so cant be a bad League.

You only have to look at the number of games the top teams have lost to see its competitive.

Not that we'll have any trouble though..

:whistle2:

I didn't think you had a problem with Jevons?

6 days ago you said your only beef with Jevo was that he doesn't run enough in games after I questioned you on why you don't like him.

Now you are saying he is not clinical, poor at this level etc. Changed your tune a bit. :noexpression:

I think he is probably the most clinical finisher in our squad. I can't remember many circumstances where he has been through on goal in the penalty area and not tucked it away.

I think generally the service to him all season has been poor. The signing of Betsy was quite obviously to rectify this problem. Jevons is a player who thrives on low crosses to the box or wingers cutting in and laying the ball off to him.

16 goals this season is still quite impressive considering he was injured for a while and has not had the chance to build a decent partnership with another striker.

When I said I didnt have a problem with him, I was referring to the accusation that I hate players based on non-footballing reasons. My 'beef' with him is his lack of running/effort, thats on top of me not rating him.

I thought he was decent when he arrived but to be honest I don't really rate him now. Suppose if he does a bit of magic ala Brighton, Forest away then all is forgiven but his all round game isnt enough for me.

Id disagree about the clinical'ness...I don't remember Brooker missing many 1-on-1's...he usually burries them. I'd rate his finishing over Jevons' based on what ive seen of both.

I agree 16 goals is decent, but really thats a hatrick and 4 penalties, yes they all count but in the League where we have to prosper he hasnt even reached 10, or maybe he did today, unsure.

Perhaps he really thrives on confidence, he looked void of much today, but thats after winning us a game at Brighton and netting a penalty in the first 5 minutes, so you have to wonder.

Id say 'useful' at this level, but not good enough IMO for the League above.

In terms of service, I remember plenty of through balls he recieved where he has hit the keeper or lashed it wide, I don't think thats an issue, though Betsy's ball today was a beaut and more like that can only help his cause.

When I said I didnt have a problem with him, I was referring to the accusation that I hate players based on non-footballing reasons. My 'beef' with him is his lack of running/effort, thats on top of me not rating him.

I thought he was decent when he arrived but to be honest I don't really rate him now. Suppose if he does a bit of magic ala Brighton, Forest away then all is forgiven but his all round game isnt enough for me.

Id disagree about the clinical'ness...I don't remember Brooker missing many 1-on-1's...he usually burries them. I'd rate his finishing over Jevons' based on what ive seen of both.

I agree 16 goals is decent, but really thats a hatrick and 4 penalties, yes they all count but in the League where we have to prosper he hasnt even reached 10, or maybe he did today, unsure.

Perhaps he really thrives on confidence, he looked void of much today, but thats after winning us a game at Brighton and netting a penalty in the first 5 minutes, so you have to wonder.

Id say 'useful' at this level, but not good enough IMO for the League above.

In terms of service, I remember plenty of through balls he recieved where he has hit the keeper or lashed it wide, I don't think thats an issue, though Betsy's ball today was a beaut and more like that can only help his cause.

Kind of agree with you, i haven't been that impressed and thought he was poor today, the thing that strikes me is his lack of pace

Kind of agree with you, i haven't been that impressed and thought he was poor today, the thing that strikes me is his lack of pace

I'm shocked by his lack of pace, when Yeovil visited last season, their counter attacks were frightening with pace attacking us..

Jevo was a part of that and caused us problems!

Jevo is worth his place in the current squad. If we are promoted his lack of pace will be even more apparent.

He has found his level.

IMO there is a profound difference between our division and the Championship, plenty of recently promoted teams floundering in the relegation area.

As for Divisions one and two, the difference is marginal, as demonstrated by recently promoted teams doing very well in our division, and having performed well against us in cup matches.

When promoted :fingerscrossed: Our defence will help us grind out some good results, but we need to completely overhaul our front line if we are to succeed, and stay up for more than 1 or 2 seasons.

Good assessment Nibor - and I agree with two thirds of it except the middle paragraph.I think the complete opposite.At a higher level Jevons' lack of pace, power and movement will count against him.Higher quality defenders will snuff him out.He'll be like a boy against men.

I agree with most of what your saying, but when you look at other players we have signed like Savage he has been a good squad player.

Without some of his vital goals this season we wouldnt be in the position we are in.

As you said, l don't think he will be any good in the league above (dare l say it?), but l also thought Jamie Cureton would belly flop!!!! I suppose we will have to see if and when it happens.

Archived