IGNORED

If City get promoted

follower

I don't think we'll be bringing in 18-19 players if we go up!

Most of our players have never played in the championship so realistically we have no idea who can cope there. With the exception of Greg Halford i didn't think ANY of the Colchester players could cope there. I didn't think they were great before they went up either!

I won't give an exact figure but i'll give SL's (probable) answer. We'll look at each situation, and decide if the money that will be spent is worth it. GJ has got what he wanted this year and as long as it's reasonable he'll continue to do so i'd imagine.

Will sufficient funds be available to bring in the quality of player required to keep them up?

To my eye there are only 3/4 players in the current squad good enough for the Championship.

SL has already said that he will roll out the big potatoes if we go up.

You also have to look at some of our players and believe that they are good enough to play at a higher level.

I have said it so many times this season, but if we go up I think we will stay up and become an established Championship team.

Feel free to quote me on that this time next season.

I'm in agreement with Collis. At time this season when we've played the better teams on better pitches we've looked excellent. The FA cup run, oldham away, chesterfield.

I think the players who will definitely cut it include; (and feel free to shoot me down...)

Basso

Carey

McCoombe

MacAllister

Johnson

Noble

Showunmi

Brooker (if fit)

Plus the likes of Skuse, Keogh & Wilson have improved massively recently so don't discount them too.

We play ggod football, and that'll serve us well if we ever get to the promised land!!

I'm in agreement with Collis. At time this season when we've played the better teams on better pitches we've looked excellent. The FA cup run, oldham away, chesterfield.

I think the players who will definitely cut it include; (and feel free to shoot me down...)

Basso

Carey

McCoombe

MacAllister

Johnson

Noble

Showunmi

Brooker (if fit)

Plus the likes of Skuse, Keogh & Wilson have improved massively recently so don't discount them too.

We play good football, and that'll serve us well if we ever get to the promised land!!

I agree with the aforementioned players, plus Keogh, Skuse and Wilson, add to that the highly rated Artus and our own bigger version Wilson, who are expected to make the top grade. That is the nucleus of a squad 13.

I notice you have been very objective with the missing border line players, perhaps Fontaine, Orr, Betsy and Weale.

But if GJ and SL are going to be serious and not soft hearted, it has to be Heart & Quality players for the first consideration, I like your list.

I agree with the aforementioned players, plus Keogh, Skuse and Wilson, add to that the highly rated Artus and our own bigger version Wilson, who are expected to make the top grade. That is the nucleus of a squad 13.

I notice you have been very objective with the missing border line players, perhaps Fontaine, Orr, Betsy and Weale.

But if GJ and SL are going to be serious and not soft hearted, it has to be Heart & Quality players for the first consideration, I like your list.

I'm not niave (sp) enough to think we have a squad that will storm the league above, but it is clear that GJ is buying players who are suited to the league above. We have a clear style, passing football with an unquestionable commitment and desire. That will attract other players to the club.

In response to your border line players, Fontaine does have the class so you could include him. Orr isn't good enough for the championship i'm afraid, works really hard but lacks class. Weale, don't really know, but he's a good number two to have. Betsy is a strange one, hot and cold already in his short time here, and is much of an improvement on super scotty.

It's a great time to be a city fan...about bloody time!!

City will definately need a goalscorer who can bag 20+ a season.I don't think Brooker has that many goals in him even when he's fit. Jevons imo simply doesn't have the quality to cut it higher up and Showumni is to inconsistant to score lots of goals.It goes without saying that Smith isn't going to get 20 a season if he stays.

A striker or two will be the top priority on Johnson shopping list.

City will definately need a goalscorer who can bag 20+ a season.I don't think Brooker has that many goals in him even when he's fit. Jevons imo simply doesn't have the quality to cut it higher up and Showumni is to inconsistant to score lots of goals.It goes without saying that Smith isn't going to get 20 a season if he stays.

A striker or two will be the top priority on Johnson shopping list.

Depending on if their teams go up or not, the following might be interested in moving to a higher club;

• Sharp - 23 goals
  • Porter - 19 goals
  • Constantine - 17 goals
  • Trundle - 15 goals

(all goals scored in the league.)

Depending on if their teams go up or not, the following might be interested in moving to a higher club;
  • Sharp - 23 goals
  • Porter - 19 goals
  • Constantine - 17 goals
  • Trundle - 15 goals
(all goals scored in the league.)

Sharp is 'Northern Boy' who probably loves gravy and won't want to move to the West Country.Plus other clubs will be very interested in him.Scunny will probably go up anyway but wont be able to hold onto him.If he goes then they'll struggle.

Porter is a good player and creates as many as he scores.Could well be a Johnson type of player.

Don't know much about Constantine.

Trundle is probably too much of a big time Charlie for Johnson to want him.

I don't think we'll be bringing in 18-19 players if we go up!

Most of our players have never played in the championship so realistically we have no idea who can cope there. With the exception of Greg Halford i didn't think ANY of the Colchester players could cope there. I didn't think they were great before they went up either!

I won't give an exact figure but i'll give SL's (probable) answer. We'll look at each situation, and decide if the money that will be spent is worth it. GJ has got what he wanted this year and as long as it's reasonable he'll continue to do so i'd imagine.

When we got promotion to the League,GJ said he would stick with the same players and give them a chance,as they were the ones who got us there. Now i know the Championship is a HUGE difference,but i would'nt be suprised if he did the same again,only adding to the positions that he saw were not good enough to cope.

Looking forward to April,a lot at stake now!...Did i see Jevons get a pen yesterday?,not long ago some of your lot were taking the weewee out of us,saying that's all he could do...they all add up now,do'nt they!! :no::no::farmer:

I've watched a lot of Championshipfootball in the last few seasons and just in recent months have watched at least two dozen games at Stoke, Preston, Derby, Leicester, Wolves. The biggest difference is a bit more pace and plenty of muscle.

Having said that I don't think we have anything to fear and honestly believe the current squad would finish comfortably in mid table if two strikers were available regularly.

Still a lot of work to o to get there, evenif we win on Tuesday.

Having just watched a poor Plymuff and hoofball Watfart tonight, I really don't see City struggling with a couple of astute signings, in the strtikers department, and a decent left winger, not utility player.

The song about Hollowhead is still valid, poor little gashead!

Basso

Carey

McCoombe

MacAllister

Johnson

Noble

Showunmi

Brooker (if fit)

We play ggod football, and that'll serve us well if we ever get to the promised land!!

The highlighted players will probably be capable of being good on a consistent basis at the higher grade.

The rest I'm afraid are not good enough imho

The highlighted players will probably be capable of being good on a consistent basis at the higher grade.

The rest I'm afraid are not good enough imho

I disagree in your exclusion of Lee Johnson from that list.

It is well known that in the Championship players get slightly more time on the ball. I think half of LJ's problem with inconsistency at the moment could be due to the fact that he is being closed down constantly so giving the ball away easily with wayward passes. He also played well against Boro which is sufficient proof he can perform at a higher level.

With a little more space to breath I think we could see an improved LJ in the Championship.

I've watched tha last six or seven Stoke home games and half their side would not get in City's and over half of the remainder are on loan - Hendrie, Fortune, Griffiths etc.

Very good side at the back, very good holding midfielder defensively but he rarely gets over half way line, other than that they play plenty of hoof and whoosh and hope and are clueless in the final third, wonder who their manager is :bruce_h4h:

Loved this recent Richard Keogh thread started by a City supporter on The Oatcake .co.uk

I disagree in your exclusion of Lee Johnson from that list.

It is well known that in the Championship players get slightly more time on the ball. I think half of LJ's problem with inconsistency at the moment could be due to the fact that he is being closed down constantly so giving the ball away easily with wayward passes. He also played well against Boro which is sufficient proof he can perform at a higher level.

With a little more space to breath I think we could see an improved LJ in the Championship.

Excellent footballer, but totaly lightweight. Strangely, I believe he would be effective against the better footballing teams, but would be bullied out of it by the rest I'm afraid.

From what I've seen of the Championship on TV it seems that most games have a higher tempo than we see in Div 1.Lots of teams have pace in all the main positions.

Wilson,Skuse and Betsy are the only really quick players currently at AG.

From what I've seen of the Championship on TV it seems that most games have a higher tempo than we see in Div 1.Lots of teams have pace in all the main positions.

Wilson,Skuse and Betsy are the only really quick players currently at AG.

And Murray. And why the hell didnt Betsy use his pace to good effect on saturday. If you've got pace, use it ala Murray.

When we got promotion to the League,GJ said he would stick with the same players and give them a chance,as they were the ones who got us there. Now i know the Championship is a HUGE difference,but i would'nt be suprised if he did the same again,only adding to the positions that he saw were not good enough to cope.

I'd agree with that. I would expect Johnson to buy 3-4 players only (including the aforementioned striker) and to ship out 4-5

personally would be suprised if too many players came into the club, think it will be more about the quality than the quanity,

it also depends how Johnson is going to start next season 3-5-2 or 4-4-2,

if we are playing 4-4-2 then a decent right back is a must, for all of Keogh's quality's he's average league 1 right back, but a top notch Centre Half who will only improve in that position, in defence after that though, in Carey, McCombe & McAllister we have quality.

In midfield I think we are fairly well covered though a natural left winger would be lovely, however the more I see Wilson play the less the need for it.

As for up front, Enoch is still young in exepericnce terms and can improve more with games, and in Brooker and Jevons I think we have 2 strikers who could do a job at that level, let's be honest just look at Cureton and Iwelumo would you swap either of our current strikers for either of them? I wouldn't. Our biggest problem with those two is not how good they are it's whether they can get kit and stay fit

I think basically if we can learn from past mistakes and not make the too many signings the momentum from promotion could carry on next season ala Colchester.

if we do go for a forward, Freddy Eastwood would be nice.

• Admin
I'm not niave (sp) enough to think we have a squad that will storm the league above, but it is clear that GJ is buying players who are suited to the league above. We have a clear style, passing football with an unquestionable commitment and desire. That will attract other players to the club.

In response to your border line players, Fontaine does have the class so you could include him. Orr isn't good enough for the championship i'm afraid, works really hard but lacks class. Weale, don't really know, but he's a good number two to have. Betsy is a strange one, hot and cold already in his short time here, and is much of an improvement on super scotty.

It's a great time to be a city fan...about bloody time!!

I can't agree that Betsy is much better than Murray, although sadly Murray's career is drawing to a close, Betsy seemed to go missing for long periods on Saturday. Murray would have been looking for and demanding the ball, Betsy wasn't.

Archived