IGNORED

Brooker: will he/ won't he?

martin

Our talismanic striker has had a 'mare' of a season. Will he be back next Saturday? If so will he make any difference?

I saw him at Blackpool and he was OK but certainly nothing special. However I do accept that he probably needs consistent games in order to get match sharp.

No Brooker? Where will the goals come from?

Our talismanic striker has had a 'mare' of a season. Will he be back next Saturday? If so will he make any difference?

I saw him at Blackpool and he was OK but certainly nothing special. However I do accept that he probably needs consistent games in order to get match sharp.

Sorry Martin, we are second in the league the goals have come from somewhere to get us there!

Should we go up and we'll soon know, GJ will have to go out and sign two quality strikers to be our first choice striker partnership with the sicknote twins dropping to 3rd & 4th choice.

JMWshould go out on loan to build up his first team experience and strength leaving Jevons as 5th choice.A loan signing could then take us up to the required number of six and before anyone says why six, just look at this season in terms of injuries and illness and these players won't get fitter with age.

ummmmmmm, well City our currently 2nd and Brooker has only scored one goal for us this season.

So in conclusion, Me thinks the goals will still come from the team without him.

ummmmmmm, well City our currently 2nd and Brooker has only scored one goal for us this season.

So in conclusion, Me thinks the goals will still come from the team without him.

Quite true but he's scored two League Goals plus one in the FAC.

Still crap it's true and with only 16 League Appearance from 38 games played, that tells it's own tale!

Sowunmi's made 20 :(

Should we go up and we'll soon know, GJ will have to go out and sign two quality strikers to be our first choice striker partnership with the sicknote twins dropping to 3rd & 4th choice.

JMWshould go out on loan to build up his first team experience and strength leaving Jevons as 5th choice.A loan signing could then take us up to the required number of six and before anyone says why six, just look at this season in terms of injuries and illness and these players won't get fitter with age.

I want whatever he's on!

Explain yourself.Don't just make a daft, unfunny remark

IF we get 2 championship quality strikers in duing the summer (should we go up of course), Jevons should be 3rd choice at worst. With Enoch pushing at 4th. Cant see Brooks doing much in the championship.

As for JMW, after his performance at Crewe after coming on then that should give him sufficient confidence to make a big impact on the rest of the season. Agreed he could do with a bit more strength but that only comes from 2 places, on the pitch on a saturday, and in the gym during the week. He has pace and the ability to get past defenders in abundance. Just needs to work on his final ball a bit. Cold be better than Cotterill IMO...

Still, everyone is entitled to their opinion even if does seem totally ridiculous to other people.

IF we get 2 championship quality strikers in duing the summer (should we go up of course), Jevons should be 3rd choice at worst. With Enoch pushing at 4th. Cant see Brooks doing much in the championship.

So, in your opinion, Brooker hasn't got the ability to figure in the Championship and Jevons does, even in front of Showunmi?

As for JMW, after his performance at Crewe after coming on then that should give him sufficient confidence to make a big impact on the rest of the season. Agreed he could do with a bit more strength but that only comes from 2 places, on the pitch on a saturday, and in the gym during the week. He has pace and the ability to get past defenders in abundance. Just needs to work on his final ball a bit. Cold be better than Cotterill IMO...

So, how does he get the games to improve when, if we sign two quality strikers, they are 1 & 2 and Jevons & ES are in front of him, on your own reckoning? Cotterill played far more often under GJ than JMW so we'll have to see.Let's put it this way, if someone bid £1m plus clauses, never mind £2m, I don't think we'd say no.

Still, everyone is entitled to their opinion even if does seem totally ridiculous to other people.

I don't think my opinions will seem ridiculous to many and they appear, on the evidence of what is written here, to be better thought out than yours.

Brooker is the only striker we have on our books with Championship quality. However there are two issues with him:

1) Getting him match fit!

2) Finding an effective partner for him...It is unclear whether he is a targetman who needs a pacey striker alongside him to get on the end of things(Leroy Lita). Or is he the striker to play off of a targetman. I think he is the latter but Its the same problem we had with Lee Peacock.

Quite true but he's scored two League Goals plus one in the FAC.

Still crap it's true and with only 16 League Appearance from 38 games played, that tells it's own tale!

Sowunmi's made 20 :(

But Enoch has scored 4 times the goals.

And has now reached 30 games this season despite being a "sicknote"

what was that about daft unfunny remarks?...

Didn't the season with Lita prove he was the former? Although Lita was a strong lad as well so maybe a bit of both.

Brooker plays mainly with his back to the goal and doesn't beat people therefore it makes sense to play him with a quick striker who will get in behind. This lark of playing him off a targetman has never seemed right to me and he's done best alongside quick strikers all through his career.

On the rest, perhaps it's best that we now write Brooker off for the season and concentrate on the players we do have available to us. Over the summer, the club and Brooker need to come clean about whatever has gone on this season because something clearly isn't right - but for now we need to worry about the job in hand.

Heard tonight Swindle have snaped up Mr Corr.........and very welcome to him to

x wednesday manager Arn. Wouldnt say he was prolific infront of goal! Sturrock slated Roberts and Peacock on tv on Saturday. Think its bye bye Peacock at the end of the season.

Brooker is the only striker we have on our books with Championship quality. However there are two issues with him:

1) Getting him match fit!

2) Finding an effective partner for him...It is unclear whether he is a targetman who needs a pacey striker alongside him to get on the end of things(Leroy Lita). Or is he the striker to play off of a targetman. I think he is the latter but Its the same problem we had with Lee Peacock.

He can play with either, the issue is the quality of the player.He did well next to Lita & McPhee and also next to Mark McGammon & Lee Mathews, although, in fairness, they weren't long term partnerships.He also did well and so did the team next to Bas, who isn't high quality, so I think it's fair to say that he can play either role when fit and on form.

Brooker plays mainly with his back to the goal and doesn't beat people therefore it makes sense to play him with a quick striker who will get in behind. This lark of playing him off a targetman has never seemed right to me and he's done best alongside quick strikers all through his career.

See above.

On the rest, perhaps it's best that we now write Brooker off for the season and concentrate on the players we do have available to us. Over the summer, the club and Brooker need to come clean about whatever has gone on this season because something clearly isn't right - but for now we need to worry about the job in hand.

I agree with the thrust of that, however, that would be fine if we had adequate replacements who weren't struggling with fitness & form as well.Brooker, even if he plays four or fie times could still be an absolutely key figure this season

But Enoch has scored 4 times the goals.

Not in the League, it's 9 in about 21 games which, whilst a very decent ratio, counts for zip if you don't play enough games.21 out of 38 isn't enough, particularly when your strike partners played 16 in 38 and his goal ratio is 1:8

And has now reached 30 games this season despite being a "sicknote"

Out of 49 and he was complaining about having a few niggles after the Crewe game

what was that about daft unfunny remarks?...

I don't recall saying it to you so why don't you tell me

He can play with either, the issue is the quality of the player.He did well next to Lita & McPhee and also next to Mark McGammon & Lee Mathews, although, in fairness, they weren't long term partnerships.He also did well and so did the team next to Bas, who isn't high quality, so I think it's fair to say that he can play either role when fit and on form.

I don't agree that it's the quality of the player, I think Brooker's game is perfectly suited to having a nippy player who gets in behind next to him. Of course he can play next to either but the question is what is best - and for me that's simple. Brooker plays best receiving the ball to feet or chest with his back to goal on the edge of the box and turning his man, he struggles with the ball in front of him. Someone playing off him looking for the ball through gives the defence something to worry about and him the extra yard or two he needs to score. When he's next to a big man he just ends up with two on him.

When Brooker played with McCammon they hardly every linked up, the only bonus of that partnership was that Brooker wasn't the only target for direct balls. McCammon actually rarely retained possession from balls in the air and Savage wasn't a target man so I don't think he's relevant - he had less ability in the air than the Iraqi air force!

I am certain that if Brooker was fit for a season and we played him next to someone like Best, Hawley etc - a decent quick goalscorer - we'd have another near 50 goal partnership. I don't believe we'll ever get that with Brooker and Enoch up front for a season, even if some miracle struck and they both played 50 games.

Archived