IGNORED

will we show any ambition if we go up?

if were to be taken seriously in the championship next season, all being well, then what players would you like to see brought in to the club to strengthen things?

for a total of around £1.5 million, we could have Izle Mcleod and luke Varney leading our attack next season (not saying anything bad about our current strikers, but who knows with brooker at the moment!). although none have been tried at championship level, both have the ability to do so.

only question is, will the board be willing to spend this sort of money? if not, what will it take for us to be succesful in the championship? people say don't change to much and could provide colchester as an example, but others will say money must be spent to avoid a relegation scrap like southend and barnsley.

any thoughts???

if were to be taken seriously in the championship next season, all being well, then what players would you like to see brought in to the club to strengthen things?

for a total of around £1.5 million, we could have Izle Mcleod and luke Varney leading our attack next season (not saying anything bad about our current strikers, but who knows with brooker at the moment!). although none have been tried at championship level, both have the ability to do so.

only question is, will the board be willing to spend this sort of money? if not, what will it take for us to be succesful in the championship? people say don't change to much and could provide colchester as an example, but others will say money must be spent to avoid a relegation scrap like southend and barnsley.

any thoughts???

Lansdown has said to people before that if we were to go up he would get the chequebook open. He's also stated he didn't want to spend vast sums of cash just to get out of this division.

any thoughts???

I think you've made the classic mistake of what we did last time!! We spent millions on Ade Akinbiyi and Tony Thorpe and look what happened.

Yes l think we should buy another striker, but lets see what happens which the rest of the squad before we start shelling out millions.

I think Leroy Lita was Reading biggest buy before they got in the prem.... Prof that money doesn't always = sucess in the championship.

Who would of thought Jamie Cureton and the rest of the colchester squad would of done the business this season???

It's a tricky one, IF we go up (and fingers crossed we do, touch wood, pray to god...etc etc) we'd certainly need to improve the squad, but last time showed that the most important thing is that money is spent wisely. We need a settled front two (inc. Brooker if he can get back to his best), I think Skuse, Johnson, Carey, Keogh, McAllister are all good enough for the championship, but I think wide midfield players are a possible problem. I personally don't rate Betsy and Murray wasn't good enough for the championship a couple of years ago, so probably wouldn't be next year.

If City make it into the Championship then there will be loads of transfer activity over he summer.Players will be released,transfered out and Johnson will also go to Lansdown with a 'wish list' of players he's interested in. There will be no doubt that the club chairman will splash the cash - within reason.

Lets not forget that Steve Lansdown didn't become wonderfully wealthy by being reckless with money.

Lets not forget that Steve Lansdown didn't become wonderfully wealthy by being reckless with money.

No - but he did decide to become City's chairman, which is about as reckless a decision as anyone can make!

I think people mistake spending cash on players with ambition. Just throwing money at the problem doesn't work. We saw that last time - and as SteveL and Keith Dawe were part of that rollercoaster season, I have no doubt they will have learned that a few quid well spent to enhance the squad is preferable to a lot of money bringing in so many players that the whole team ethic is destroyed - especially if they all happen to play in the same position.

I'd like to hope we can hang on to our decent players whose contracts are up, and maybe bring in two or three quality signings. But we don't need wholesale changes. If we do go up, and it's a long way from certain yet, then these lads will have been the ones that got us there and they will deserve a chance to show that they can cut the mustard at that level.

Personally, I don't rate Izzy McLeod very highly.

Archived