IGNORED

Ground Share

freezer

Don't know if this has been covered or not, or what the official line is, but does anyone know what the situation is with regard to the proposed re-development of the Memorial Ground.

If the Memorial Ground is closed where are the Gas going.

Where will Bristol Rugby play.

I was talking to a Bristol Rugby season ticket holder/relation who follows the egg-chasers, and he thinks it's a 'done deal' that Bristol Rugby Club will be playing at Ashton Gate during the building work. I told him that nothing had been announced by BCFC and that a new playing surface-about a 1/4 Million Pounds worth-would be required to stand the strain. He knew nothing about that.

I'm not against this-I'd certainly rather have them here than the basement babbers-but would our pitch stand up to it.

Can anyone clarify what the situation is.

I'm worried that our playing surface/performance would suffer greatly.

Don't know if this has been covered or not, or what the official line is, but does anyone know what the situation is with regard to the proposed re-development of the Memorial Ground.

If the Memorial Ground is closed where are the Gas going.

Where will Bristol Rugby play.

I was talking to a Bristol Rugby season ticket holder/relation who follows the egg-chasers, and he thinks it's a 'done deal' that Bristol Rugby Club will be playing at Ashton Gate during the building work. I told him that nothing had been announced by BCFC and that a new playing surface-about a 1/4 Million Pounds worth-would be required to stand the strain. He knew nothing about that.

I'm not against this-I'd certainly rather have them here than the basement babbers-but would our pitch stand up to it.

Can anyone clarify what the situation is.

I'm worried that our playing surface/performance would suffer greatly.

How long is this refurb at the mem going to take????

Ok guys, so far can we assume from the small number of replies that..............

1/ Bristol Rugby Club will be playing at Ashton Gate.

2/ Bristol Rovers will be playing at Cheltenham.

3/ We aren't really that concerned.

4/ There has been no official statement from Bristol City regarding this.

Seems a bit worrying, could maybe the supporters club or supporters trust attempt to find out what the situation is and let us know.

Unless vast improvements are made to the playing surface with regards to durability, I can foresee a playing surface for the beautiful game akin to an allotment.

Then again, at least we might have shiny new red plastic seats to sit on to watch Championship standard gardening!.

Bristol Rugby wont play at the Gate if we get promoted to the Championship.

I cant believe we are letting them play at our ground for their last two games this season.

Imagine if we need to win our final game of the season and Brooks misses a chance to win it due to the bobble.

Personally I'll be disgusted if the board let the egg-chasers anywhere near our pitch. I dread to think how many points it may end up costing us over the course of a season. However I fear that the current board will be mesmerised by the short term ££££££££££ & not share my concerns.

Personally I'll be disgusted if the board let the egg-chasers anywhere near our pitch. I dread to think how many points it may end up costing us over the course of a season. However I fear that the current board will be mesmerised by the short term ££££££££££ & not share my concerns.

The only person opposing it is GJ. FACT.

The only thing stopping the rugby, is the price city want for use of the ground.

This is all assuming the ground development goes ahead, I have my doubts to its viability and no one has ever managed to explain how the initial costs will be met.

Another big factor. as things stand, it could be another season like this one.

Except possibly 6 games at the gate for the rugby.

However if redevelopment of the Mem does go ahead then, i'm sure its over the severn for the rugby, unless city lower the rent price.

I would of thought it would be a huge og if City force bristol to travel to Newport? by asking over the odds in rent.

The beer sales alone would dwarf the catering sales of a football event.

Who mentioned newport :whistle:

Its definately a weird one.

Its definately a weird one.

I'm not so sure. Seemingly, a large number of City fans don't want it, not to mention the manager himself. I suppose City would want to charge top whack to justify it.

Personally I prefere the mem for rugby matches, and if the new build does go ahead, can't see rugby being as enjoyable. But we shall see.

The beer sales alone would dwarf the catering sales of a football event.

I think the Rugby pay a "fixed fee" to rent AG and all the catering revenue from things like the Beer Marquee they had outside AG last time they played goes to Bristol Rugby.

CodeRed

I think this argument about the quality of the playing surface being affected is a bit of red herring - ask Reading (London Irish) and Watford (Saracens) about how it had such a detrimental impact on them getting into the Premiership.

The techniques available to groundsmen these days allow both codes to be played using the same pitch.

I think this argument about the quality of the playing surface being affected is a bit of red herring - ask Reading (London Irish) and Watford (Saracens) about how it had such a detrimental impact on them getting into the Premiership.

Reading play with wingers on relatively unaffected parts of the pitch (which BCFC don't do ATM) and Watford play long ball so those 2 examples don't really count.

Unless BCFC are given megabucks (£1m+) I wouldn't even contemplate hosting the egg chasers.

BCAGFC

First off none of this happens unless Dunceford finds £30m down the back of his couch.

Then, we have to consider that a) the damage to our pitch this season was more as a result of two weeks of torrential rain than rugby and b) we'd have one of those pitches plastic woven in if we hosted the rugby.

The final decision should rest with GJ IMO - and he should say yes if and only if the groundstaff guarantee it won't affect the state of the pitch for football.

As BCFC no longer own AG it isn't necessarily a football club decision. And the profits / rent or whatever, may not actually help BCFC at all.

The corporate structure shouldn't have any affect on that decision making since it's the same owners of both regardless and if we're to believe what SL says it won't.

I understand that if the rugby club do play at ashton gate, it will be to play six or so of the high profile games of the season, where the rest will be played l haven't a clue.

I thought that this was the case at the moment so if the demand is there Ashton Gate will be the venue.

I think that the investment required to make the pitch a good standard each week would be substantial. I'm definately not an expect but I know that some clubs weave artifical and natural grass into their picthes to make them more robust but I would expect that a new drainage system would be required as well as some form of heating and covering.

Altogther I think it would require more than a halftime spiking with a fork.

I wouldn't rule it out on the face of it but the spend on the pitch would need to increase considerably.

Also I think a few Bristol fans will be hugely disapointed to leave the terraced mem and come to an all seater.

It's the Bristol Rugy v Leicester Tigers that has caught the attention.

Not many realise that 7 days before what could be a crucial last game of the season GLOUCESTER have hired Ashton Gate for a match:

Sat 28th Apr 07 15:00 GP Gloucester Rugby v Bristol Rugby

Tickets will be available to supporters with either a GL postcode or ticket history on their account from Monday, March 19 (9.00 am). Tickets will be released on general sale from Monday, April 2nd

You better pray that Bris don't come to the gate for the season.Your groundsman will commit suicide.Take one look at the Mem pitch,its like a ploughed field. :rofl2br:
if the money is right it will happen but like our board they have plans but no finance so will it happen???

Archived