IGNORED

What is this obession with signing a Striker

bh red

What is this obession with signing a Striker today on loan? personally think whoever we bring in today isn't going to be of the required standard for the long term and is very much just going to be a "cover" or a panic signing.

People seem convinced that WE MUST HAVE A FORWARD.

Personally i don't buy into that, the current squad have got us to this position at this point of the season, depsite various injury problems and I have full faith in this squad of players to carry on the job for the final 8 games of the season and get us promoted.

Looking around the leagues there doesn't appear to be the quality of player out their who I believe would be a) available b) keen to join City and c) a proven goal scorer

Personally can't wait for the deadline to pass so people can actually focus on the remaining 8 games of THIS season and not on trying to replace current members of the squad who have done an excellent job so far.

I HAVE FAITH IN THIS SQUAD & THE MANAGER? DO YOU?

What is this obession with signing a Striker today on loan? personally think whoever we bring in today isn't going to be of the required standard for the long term and is very much just going to be a "cover" or a panic signing.

Personally i don't buy into that, the current squad have got us to this position at this point of the season, depsite various injury problems and I have full faith in this squad of players to carry on the job for the final 8 games of the season and get us promoted.

Looking around the leagues there doesn't appear to be the quality of player out their who I believe would be a) available b) keen to join City and c) a proven goal scorer

Personally can't wait for the deadline to pass so people can actually focus on the remaining 8 games of THIS season and not on trying to replace current members of the squad who have done an excellent job so far.

Good shout mate. I suppose in a way I'd like to bring in 1 more striker to possibly shake things up a bit in terms of competition for places, thus making sure everyone is on the ebst form possible. Also would provide extra cover for any injuries and/or suspensions likely to get.

In terms of quality and ability we don't need anyone as we have possibly the best strike partnership in the league in Enoch and Jevo.

Spot on Mr Mate.

This clubs current players have got us to 2nd and with more of our effective players returning from injury why do we need anymore. Lets all concentrate on this season and back THIS current squad.

If needs be why don't we give some of our young players a go anyway? We've got nothing to lose much better than getting in someone on loan. they get experience in a winning team we get to see some of our great prospects playing.

That's a bit like saying, you sign Barry Corr or nobody.If we sign anyone it needs to be someone with a proven goal scoring record at a lower level or someone like Forsell as was mooted yesterday.The point is that GJ has said he's after a loan signing, so he obviously thinks so

Well that's great and I hope you're right.If Brooker & Showunmi stay fit for those eight games terrific and nobody will be more happy than me.However, on the basis that they have been available for 15 games out of 50, one has to ask, is that likely?

There seems to be some doubt about whether or not we can sign Best-Swansea have signed Duffy who did well on loan at Hartlepool who are flying at the top of Div 4.Donnie have signed Cademeteri

Which they can't do if they're injured

YES AND HE SAID HE'S AFTER A QUALITY LOAN SIGNING

Spot on Mr Mate.

This clubs current players have got us to 2nd and with more of our effective players returning from injury why do we need anymore. Lets all concentrate on this season and back THIS current squad.

If needs be why don't we give some of our young players a go anyway? We've got nothing to lose much better than getting in someone on loan. they get experience in a winning team we get to see some of our great prospects playing.

Like Tristan Plummer for example?

Not bothered in the slightest if we don't sign anyone, the current strikeforce may have had there injuries throughout the season, but they have managed ok so far and got us to second, 4 points clear, so lets get behind the forwards we've got.

strikers thrive on confidence - we get behind them, they're confidence grows, they score goals. Prime example is Bas Savage, Plays for city, city fans laugh at him and his confidence drops and he couldn't hit a barn door, moves away, fans get behind him and he starts scoring.

Not bothered in the slightest if we don't sign anyone, the current strikeforce may have had there injuries throughout the season, but they have managed ok so far and got us to second, 4 points clear, so lets get behind the forwards we've got.

strikers thrive on confidence - we get behind them, they're confidence grows, they score goals. Prime example is Bas Savage, Plays for city, city fans laugh at him and his confidence drops and he couldn't hit a barn door, moves away, fans get behind him and he starts scoring.

spot on, people bang on about getting quality strikers and then mention the names that are mentioned........I'm yet to see a realistic name mentioned, a number of clubs have signed players however no one that stands out Duffy has joined Swansea but has no goal record to mention at this level, and then you have Danny Camamateri who has probably been one of the most over-rated players for years and that for me is an example of the lack of quality availalbe,

people mention Barry Corr, Leon Best, Jerm Beckford and other players that have been on loan at other clubs but NONE of them have a proven record of scoring goals prior to joining their recent clubs, don't think Leon Best is the answer, people would be expecting mircles from the lad but apart from a few goals for yeovil has done nothing of note, also the fact that he has just broken into the Saints first team rules him out.

Unless there is a player that will significantly improve the team I all for backing the players we have at the club.

Brooker, Enoch and Jevons have all done well this season when fit and majority of the season we have had at least 2 of the 3 fit, Smith despite various people hammering works his socks off for the team and is putting in good performaces although the goals are yet to come and is now getting to full fitness, but in the meantime is decent cover, Betsy has also played up front at various spells in his career as well and has scored a few goals.

As for Bas Savage, he is an leading example of that if you back a player he will do the business for you, he was looked at as a joke down here and his confidence was shot to pieces but now he is doing well for himself, personally I thought in his time with us he did actually improve as a player but the select few on here didn't see instant success from him and hammered him right away

Good shout mate. I suppose in a way I'd like to bring in 1 more striker to possibly shake things up a bit in terms of competition for places, thus making sure everyone is on the ebst form possible. Also would provide extra cover for any injuries and/or suspensions likely to get.

Very sensible approach to a high risk situation

In terms of quality and ability we don't need anyone as we have possibly the best strike partnership in the league in Enoch and Jevo.

That's a joke, right??

Spot on Mr Mate.

This clubs current players have got us to 2nd and with more of our effective players returning from injury why do we need anymore.

Because they've returned from injury before......only to be injured again in fairly short order.The other reason is that GJ says we do

Lets all concentrate on this season and back THIS current squad.

Who isn't backing them? Is GJ not backing them becuase he's looking to strengthen the squad?Was he not backing them when he signed Andy Smith or Betys & Wilson?

If needs be why don't we give some of our young players a go anyway? We've got nothing to lose

We could lose automatic pomotion, how about that?

much better than getting in someone on loan.

So Elliot Benyon would be better than Mikel Forsell, if we could get him?

they get experience in a winning team we get to see some of our great prospects playing.

And do you think GJ would be looking for a loan signing or trying to get Holt or Pospisil if he thought they were ready or good enough?

a man after my heart.

It's the brain that's required on these occassions

100% agree with you. Why is everyone so incensed on GJ buying a striker.

Because it's the right thing to do and the Manager thinks we should

It's like we only have 2 strikers in the whole team

For large parts of the season, that's true

when we have

Jevons (Missed last week with a groin strain

Brooker (Missed about 70% of the season)

Showunmi (Missed half the season)

Smith (Never scored a League Goal(

Benyon(Never scored a League Goal or played a League Game and he's on loan until the end of the season when he'll be leaving)

JMW (More of a left winger and not strong enough, yet)

Plummer (17 years old and never played a League Game)

who are all suitable strikers

Please see above

Good to see so many people agree on this thread.

GJ has tried to get quality in the past but they turned us down so lets keep on with our squad instead of risking the harmony of the team. We CAN get promotion without any new additions to the squad.

a man after my heart

100% agree with you. Why is everyone so incensed on GJ buying a striker. It's like we only have 2 strikers in the whole team when we have Jevons, Brooker, Showunmi, Smith, Benyon, JMW and Plummer who are all suitable strikers

agree, Jevons, Brooker, Showunmi, Smith and JMW are good players and are key signs why we have got to the position that we are in at the moment, alot of people are more concerned at looking at their weaknesses than their strong points.

Plummer is one for the future, or at least until he is signed up on a Pro Deal.......Benyon looks good for the future and is getting goals at a lower level, will be interesting to see if he gets a new deal as Johnson has praised him in the past

personally unless there is someone of REAL quality willing to join, which looking around there doesn't appear to be, then I'm more than happy with what we have got. I don't see the point in an average signing and no one of REAL quality is availabe at the moment,

agree with what the majority on here are saying, personally I believe the players currently at the club are more than capable of now getting this club promoted this season and won't be bothered if we don't sign another forward.

GJ does want one but he's only going to make sure he gets the right player, rather than making a signing for the sake of it, with everyone pretty much fit now it's not vital but it would be a bonus if he can get one and I think that's the way he is looking at it

personally with the players that have been mentioned on here so far I'm yet to see someone who I think would make a difference.

in Jevons, Brooker, Enoch and Smith I feel we have the ability to create and score goals!

roll on saturday!

agree, Jevons, Brooker, Showunmi, Smith and JMW are good players and are key signs why we have got to the position that we are in at the moment, alot of people are more concerned at looking at their weaknesses than their strong points.

Brooker and Showunmi are permanent sick notes, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Brooker not play againthis season and Showunmi only play half the remaining games. That's about par for the course on the first 38 games- why should the next 8 be any different? Jury is out on Smith, and JMW is very raw and more of a winger. Jevons has scored a reasonable amount, fair enough.

Goals from strikers have been thin on the ground this season and when you look at the amount of chances we create if we had one player who could get onto the end of things in the box we'd have been many points clear of S****horpe by now.

You don't get promoted by resting on your laurels and hoping it will come right whilst your immediate rivals are all doing their best to strengthen.

Plummer is one for the future, or at least until he is signed up on a Pro Deal.......Benyon looks good for the future and is getting goals at a lower level, will be interesting to see if he gets a new deal as Johnson has praised him in the past

Plummer isn't going to be anywhere near the first XI in the next 8 games.

Benyon is definitely leaving in the summer and will not be offered a new deal because he's not considered good enough and Gj doesn't like his attitude.

personally unless there is someone of REAL quality willing to join, which looking around there doesn't appear to be, then I'm more than happy with what we have got. I don't see the point in an average signing and no one of REAL quality is availabe at the moment,

What do you mean "looking around"? Have you been phoning round clubs talking to managers or were you just expecting to see an advert on a billboard on your way to work this morning? If we go after a player who isn't getting games at the moment with sufficient cash why wouldn't they be available?

What exactly is the basis for your obsession with not trying to improve the squad in an obviously weak area at the crucial stage of the season?

I'm glad GJ sees it more clearly.

From the looks of it Gj sees it just like most of us on this thread and not the minority.

If there was REAL quality out there then of course they'd be welcomed with open arms as it is there doesn't seem to be hence why there has been no news to date.

I think some people are missing the point of Ashtonmates post in that IF there was real quality out there that would be prepared to come to the gate then fair enough however, there doesn't seem to be so lets go with what we've got.

I think Scunny signing James Quinn proves the lack of quality available.

Brooker and Showunmi are permanent sick notes, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Brooker not play againthis season and Showunmi only play half the remaining games. That's about par for the course on the first 38 games- why should the next 8 be any different? Jury is out on Smith, and JMW is very raw and more of a winger. Jevons has scored a reasonable amount, fair enough.

Goals from strikers have been thin on the ground this season and when you look at the amount of chances we create if we had one player who could get onto the end of things in the box we'd have been many points clear of S****horpe by now.

You don't get promoted by resting on your laurels and hoping it will come right whilst your immediate rivals are all doing their best to strengthen.

Plummer isn't going to be anywhere near the first XI in the next 8 games.

Benyon is definitely leaving in the summer and will not be offered a new deal because he's not considered good enough and Gj doesn't like his attitude.

What do you mean "looking around"? Have you been phoning round clubs talking to managers or were you just expecting to see an advert on a billboard on your way to work this morning? If we go after a player who isn't getting games at the moment with sufficient cash why wouldn't they be available?

What exactly is the basis for your obsession with not trying to improve the squad in an obviously weak area at the crucial stage of the season?

I'm glad GJ sees it more clearly.

it's not an obsession with not trying to improve the squad it's just pointing to the fact that the quality players that many are demanding just don't seem to be available, just look at Scunny signing James Quinn, if that is the best player they can get in for their position perhaps that is a key sign that the players are not available.

for weeks people have been suggesting various names but there hasn't been one I can recall that has matched what we actually NEED.

Brooker and Enoch have had injury problems this season without doubt, but are both currently fit, brooker played 45mins last night which is a good sign of his return to fitness and unless there has been a reaction, you can bet he will probably start on saturday, fact is when Brooker and Enoch have played this season they have produced in terms of goals and assits,

it's not just about throwing money around at various players, if the clubs don't want to sell and the player doesn't want to move our hands our tied.

how many quality forwards have you seen move clubs in recent weeks? and thought.....he would have been a good signing? I'm yet to see one?

I think Scunny signing James Quinn proves the lack of quality available.

One team signing a mediocre player does not mean there is no striker available who could score goals for us in the next 8 games.

Just look at the other players teams in our division have brought in - Best, Jarvis, Beckford. All had much more impact than Andrews or Smith.

The problem we seem have is in identifying the right ones.

One team signing a mediocre player does not mean there is no striker available who could score goals for us in the next 8 games.

Just look at the other players teams in our division have brought in - Best, Jarvis, Beckford. All had much more impact than Andrews or Smith.

The problem we seem have is in identifying the right ones.

however look at their records before joining those clubs? and how long ago where they signed?

we need a proven goal scorer.....and in all honestly those players prior to joining were no better than Smith or Barry Corr

it's not about one team signing a medioce player....it's about who has been signed in the last couple of weeks, Quinn to Scunny? Graham to Torquay, Duffy to Swansea

it's not an obsession with not trying to improve the squad it's just pointing to the fact that the quality players that many are demanding just don't seem to be available, just look at Scunny signing James Quinn, if that is the best player they can get in for their position perhaps that is a key sign that the players are not available.

S****horpe with their four and a half fans? Think you might find it's down to finances and there we have more strength.

for weeks people have been suggesting various names but there hasn't been one I can recall that has matched what we actually NEED.

What we need is someone who will score goals. I believe Beckford, Jarvis and Best have been doing that whilst on loan to clubs in this division? I don't give a monkey's how young/unproven they are if they score goals - identifying players with ability is what the whole scouting thing is all about.

Brooker and Enoch have had injury problems this season without doubt, but are both currently fit, brooker played 45mins last night which is a good sign of his return to fitness and unless there has been a reaction, you can bet he will probably start on saturday, fact is when Brooker and Enoch have played this season they have produced in terms of goals and assits,

Heard it all before. I'll believe either of them is fit when they play two consecutive 90 minute games. It doesn't matter how good they are if they're not likely to be available and you'd have to be a screaming lunatic to think they will be based on this season.

it's not just about throwing money around at various players, if the clubs don't want to sell and the player doesn't want to move our hands our tied.

how many quality forwards have you seen move clubs in recent weeks? and thought.....he would have been a good signing? I'm yet to see one?

Then you're not paying attention, see above.

The problem with the players you mention is that they were not proven before they joined their respective clubs. The managers took a gamble on them and got lucky. People on here are on about proven players who will take the step down they do not appear available. Imagine if we had signed Beckford, an unknown, out of form player. People on here would have been slating him and GJ before he played. But lets get back to the point you have proved by yourself.

There are NO proven quality players currently available or who want to come to City.

however look at their records before joining those clubs? and how long ago where they signed?

we need a proven goal scorer.....and in all honestly those players prior to joining were no better than Smith or Barry Corr

it's not about one team signing a medioce player....it's about who has been signed in the last couple of weeks, Quinn to Scunny? Graham to Torquay, Duffy to Swansea

Sorry but we don't need a proven striker, we need one that scores goals. I don't care if he's 13 years old and never played above Sunday league before provided that he scores goals in the first XI.

It's nice and easy to say "OK we only need a striker if they're proven and proven means they've got a great track record of hitting the net" because those players are all unavailable for very obvious reasons..

The trick is to identify players that are not in first XIs that will score goals when they get a chance with us. Other clubs seem to manage to do this.

The problem with the players you mention is that they were not proven before they joined their respective clubs. The managers took a gamble on them and got lucky.

No, the managers made a judgement on them and got it right. You don't think they sat there with a list of strikers in one hand and a pin in the other do you?

S****horpe with their four and a half fans? Think you might find it's down to finances and there we have more strength.

What we need is someone who will score goals. I believe Beckford, Jarvis and Best have been doing that whilst on loan to clubs in this division? I don't give a monkey's how young/unproven they are if they score goals - identifying players with ability is what the whole scouting thing is all about.

Heard it all before. I'll believe either of them is fit when they play two consecutive 90 minute games. It doesn't matter how good they are if they're not likely to be available and you'd have to be a screaming lunatic to think they will be based on this season.

Then you're not paying attention, see above.

well they got pretty good money for Keogh and they have enough cash to be able to fend off any interest for Billy Sharp?

Yes, those players have been scoring goals, but if we had signed any of those players, fans would have been straight onto johnson's back stating that they haven't got a scoring record and can't be good enough like many use for the stick they give to Andy Smith and Barry Corr when they joined.

I think you are totally missing the whole point, a number of people are stating that WE MUST SIGN A STRIKER.......we don't. yes we could do with getting one, BUT if we don't then it isn't the end of the world.

just because players have been injured this season it doesn't mean that they will autmatically get injured again once they come back, considering how long we have missed Brooker and Enoch this season we have managed without them for long spells.

People keep banging on about the scouting, however johnson has signed alot of players since he has been here, he's brought in decent keepers, defenders and midfielders and rebuilt the team and has brought in quality the strikers haven't paid of so perhaps despite all his efforts of getting forwards in the players he wants ARE NOT THERE AT THE MOMENT?

well they got pretty good money for Keogh and they have enough cash to be able to fend off any interest for Billy Sharp?

Yes, those players have been scoring goals, but if we had signed any of those players, fans would have been straight onto johnson's back stating that they haven't got a scoring record and can't be good enough like many use for the stick they give to Andy Smith and Barry Corr when they joined.

I think you are totally missing the whole point, a number of people are stating that WE MUST SIGN A STRIKER.......we don't. yes we could do with getting one, BUT if we don't then it isn't the end of the world.

just because players have been injured this season it doesn't mean that they will autmatically get injured again once they come back, considering how long we have missed Brooker and Enoch this season we have managed without them for long spells.

People keep banging on about the scouting, however johnson has signed alot of players since he has been here, he's brought in decent keepers, defenders and midfielders and rebuilt the team and has brought in quality the strikers haven't paid of so perhaps despite all his efforts of getting forwards in the players he wants ARE NOT THERE AT THE MOMENT?

I think the majority of people on this thread are missing the point.Yes we are in a great position but what is wrong in making this even stronger by signing another striker on loan.Many bleat about the lack of real quality to sign - how then do other clubs like Yeovil/S****horpe manage to do it and we can't. As to do the issue of our current strikers - yes they could all stay fit but on this season's experience they will not.So we should be moving heaven and earth to get someone in not compacently hoping it will be alright.This failure to bolster our strength I fear will cost us dear.

I think the majority of people on this thread are missing the point.Yes we are in a great position but what is wrong in making this even stronger by signing another striker on loan.Many bleat about the lack of real quality to sign - how then do other clubs like Yeovil/S****horpe manage to do it and we can't. As to do the issue of our current strikers - yes they could all stay fit but on this season's experience they will not.So we should be moving heaven and earth to get someone in not compacently hoping it will be alright.This failure to bolster our strength I fear will cost us dear.

that's the point, no one is saying we shouldn't sign someone, but it's who..........

yes Yeovil and Scunny have pulled a couple of rabbits out of hats with those two players, however those players were signed months ago and that kinda player doesn't seem to be available at the moment, I'm sure there is lots of strikers out their but it's the business end of the season and alot of clubs are tied up in relegation, promotion or play-off battles and aren't letting players leave.

looking at the teasm around us like Swansea and Scunny, they have been after the likes of Best and Cotterill apparently but have ended up with duffy and james quinn???

i'm all for signing a forward, but it has to be somone who will make a key difference rather than just another forward for cover and to make up the numbers like we have done lots in the past.

When Brooker and Showunmi are injured for the Forest and Yeovil games and they both park 10 men behind the ball after sneaking a goal from a single chance I take it you'll be saying the same?

Yeah, I mean just because two players are obviously injury prone doesn't mean we should be prepared for them to be injured again I guess?

I don't think that just "managing" as you say we have been doing all season will be good enough for the crunch games we have coming up.

The fact that forwards who score goals appear to have been available would lead me to believe that there are more where those came from.

For me it's quite simple. We know there's a decent chance one or other of Brooker and Enoch will be injured. We know we haven't scored many goals from strikers. We know that we're inches away from promotion.

Bringing in a striker seems common sense, in fact, I'd quite happily see us take a risk on a younger striker with promise from one of the divisions above over not bring anyone in at all. I find it highly unlikely that bringing in cover will disrupt a squad that has been rightly praised for it's attitude all season.

jelly

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=77126 - post 9

despite his other ramblings think the bloke had a point, if you don't agree with them, YOUR WRONG and not allowed to have your own views

Sorry?

Where have I _ever_ posted anything about someone not being allowed to have their views or air them?

I disagree with you and I'm expressing my view - simple as that.

I think you'll find that anyone looking over posting history will see that there is a group of posters that resorts to personal attacks and PMed death threats when they don't agree and I'm not one of them.

With the team defending from the front in the way that they have been over the last 6 or 7 games, they are a very difficult side to beat and I've seen no evidence pointing to that changing.

Another striker coming in to augment the squad as more cover for Showunmi and Brooker is sensible, but to expect a goal scoring machine to be recruited to fire us to promotion is hopeful at best.

If Johnson finds one (like Best for instance), then fair play - but I don't expect it and wouldn't be bothered if we don't get it. Other clubs have been recruiting back up strikers and that's all I'd expect us to do - anything else would be a massive bonus.

100% agree and is totally the point I've been trying to get at.

Archived