IGNORED

Is McCombe the new Shaun Taylor

The Batman

Shaun Taylor was my favourite City player, i've only been going to see city for the last 14/15 years, so i missed the Bob Taylor era and don't remember much of Jacki.

All in all, i think McCombe is sheer quality and has the characteristics to be the next generation of City fans' favourite player, just like Shaun Taylor was to me.

Am i getting carried away with this, or do others feel the same. Not forgetting that he is only 24 years old, but is it too soon to be saying it? He's been my choice for player of the year so far...

McCombe is a far better player than Taylor ever was.

What made Taylor a legend was not his footballing abilty but his leadership qualities and 100% commitment.Taylor could motivate his teamates just by looking at them.He was a hard b@stard as well and could intimidate the opposition.

McCombe lacks the leadership and motivational qualities that Taylor had but may develop them as he matures as a footballer.

Shaun Taylor was a major driving force in us getting promoted. McCombe will have been a major driving force for us getting promotion this season if it does all work out. If we go up, then they can be compared, if we don't, then McCombe, whilst looking really good, wouldnt have achieved anything yet.

I really like McCombe though, him and Keogh are the future at the back!

Si.

Not really comparing like with like. Agree that he is a fantastic find and is a better player on the ball than Big Shaun,but he had other qualities that previous posters have alluded to. The common thread, is that Carey played some of his best football with Taylor, and has had a cracking season alongside SuperMac.

McCombe could go a long way.Johnson's best signing IMO.

McCombe is a far better player than Taylor ever was.

What made Taylor a legend was not his footballing abilty but his leadership qualities and 100% commitment.Taylor could motivate his teamates just by looking at them.He was a hard b@stard as well and could intimidate the opposition.

McCombe lacks the leadership and motivational qualities that Taylor had but may develop them as he matures as a footballer.

Agree with that totally, the leadership comes with experience and also with actually having to do it - something McCombe doesn't need to yet with players like Carey around.

He has more footballing ability and will be a better player in the longer term particularly if we go up and he has the chance to play at a higher level for a good while.

Why are you laughing? he may not have been the best, but he certainly was one of the best. Tony Butler was an old fashioned centre back and comfortable on the ball.

When he came he made our back 3 at the time solid. Certainly one of the best lower league defenders in the past 10 years or so.

as for mcCombe, he has attributes that Shaun Taylor didn't have. Such as his calmness and ability to play the ball out of defence. McCombe will certainly become a proper leader in years to come.

kin hell Luke you are talking sense for once!! Agree 100 %. Mccombe is on his way to being rated alongside Taylor. Not quite better than Shaun just yet.

Its between him and Noble as who is Johnsons best signing. I am currently thinking Noble....

Oooh Shaun Tayler, Oooh Shaun Taylor.

I was always impressed with his bottle. Wouldn't think twice about sticking his head in, even if faced with incoming studs. Head like a welders workbench. True legend.

Would have to agree with gamon, Boom Boom is on his way, but not quite there yet.

I was going to post something like this recently.

Jamie McCombe is the best defender i've seen at the club. He's a player i get excited about having in our team. He's the talismanic figure we've been missing since Murray left. He's a quick technically good tall defender who's commited and brave.

I know GJ likes to keep players hungry with short term deals, but i'd just like to keep the bloke HERE. Four year deal please!

And to think, some people thought he'd be sitting on the bench behind Heywood at the start of the year...

Jamie McCombe is a great footballer and much more reliable than Shaun Taylor. But Taylor was a great captain and was an influential player to all the others around him.

If McCombe had the motivation and the influence of Taylor 10 years ago, he would be fighting it out in the Premiership :englandsmile4wf:

I know none of you will believe this, but I went on the twentyman show after his first (or certainly first few) games with city and said he was going to be a star and the next S.Taylor - nice to know i got a prediction right for once

Trust me its not very often that happens to me. normally just after I whinge to my mate about some player they score...

Now will Cole Skuse be the next owen Hargreaves??

I know none of you will believe this, but I went on the twentyman show after his first (or certainly first few) games with city and said he was going to be a star and the next S.Taylor - nice to know i got a prediction right for once

Trust me its not very often that happens to me. normally just after I whinge to my mate about some player they score...

Now will Cole Skuse be the next owen Hargreaves??

Didn't you say the same about Tony Dinning and Big Bas?

A great prediction - I think you may find also that last year 'Big Nose' and my goodself made similar predictions on this very message board regarding Jamie McCombe. Hail, Hail, the Lord of the Fens !!!!!!! :dancing2:

Up the City

Shaun Taylor was my favourite City player, i've only been going to see city for the last 14/15 years, so i missed the Bob Taylor era and don't remember much of Jacki.

All in all, i think McCombe is sheer quality and has the characteristics to be the next generation of City fans' favourite player, just like Shaun Taylor was to me.

Am i getting carried away with this, or do others feel the same. Not forgetting that he is only 24 years old, but is it too soon to be saying it? He's been my choice for player of the year so far...

i loved taylor but i think jamie is better and will improve the higher level he plays :winner_third_h4h:

kin hell Luke you are talking sense for once!! Agree 100 %. Mccombe is on his way to being rated alongside Taylor. Not quite better than Shaun just yet.

Its between him and Noble as who is Johnsons best signing. I am currently thinking Noble....

i know mate. since the nuke of the sub I've had to put up with reading all this 'knowledgable, interlectual stuff'. It's rubbing off on me and I don't like it.

I'm guna have a lie down now and hopefully over night I'll be back with me normal '###### it' attitude. you can't even swear on here!! whats that all about?!

as for the noble comment. certainly disagree. Has a lot to improve on, his pace being the main factor. Not necessarily his sprinting pace, but the sharpness he is with the ball. It's all good to be able to keep hold of the ball with his twisting and turning, but it slows the game up a bit and I'ld like to think we are at our best when we are at a high tempo. I'ld like to see him getting the ball out of his feet and passing it quickly rather than spin about on the spot, wait a second or two, let the bal slow down, let the game slow down, then pass it.

Don't get me wrong, quality player, but a bit to improve on.

Best signing is and always will be, THE BAS!! Gert lump of lard, stick ee up front and let the defence try 'n handle ee, not a chance!! quality. or......... mcgammon. I'm surprised he's not yours seeing as it's so appropriate to your name!

GAMON!! GAMON!! WE'VE GOT MARK MCGAMMON!!

HE'S BIG AND HE'S BLACK

AND HE LEADS OUR ATTACK

WE'VE GOT MARK MCGAMMON!!

I miss that chant.

Archived