IGNORED

Ground Re-Development

freezer

Sorry if I've missed it elsewhere, but a very important bit of info. arrived at my ears courtesy of Radio Brizzle today.

I'm not 100% sure but I thought that I heard Mr Lansdown saying that the Wedlock/East Stand may be re-developed as soon as this summer!. I could have imagined this or mis-heard, as there is nothing on the official site or on here-or the East End subbers forum-so perhaps if anyone else could confirm it that would be appreciated.

If this is true it opens a real can of worms as we go back to the previous 'buy a brick' thingy extravaganza.

Lack of seating available will push up ticket prices, where will the away fans go, what will happen to the 'Open The East End Campaign/Forum'. Lots of questions I'm sure if it does go ahead.

I can remember as a young 'un growing up in the atmosphere of the East End how great it was, the Portsmouth game lives on in the memory, amongst others. Then came the Park End, The Williams, The Dolman Family Enclosure and now the Dolman. Different times, still BCFC.

Times change, some things have to. I want BCFC to stay at Ashton Gate, I never want to share a ground with Rovers-or the egg-chasers, our ground needs improving and if that means change then so be it, we all have to accept it and get on with supporting BCFC as best we can.

I hope that when we get promotion that the ground is modernised. This might be a problem to some, possibly myself, but that can't be helped, it's unfortunate.

I agree that the East End is a special place, so was the Park End, no part of our ground should be wasted, but if the East End is to be flattened then can we just enjoy it for now in all it's worth and be prepared to move on, without kicking up too much of a fuss. We could have a 'Please don't alter the East End Forum/Campaign' but I'm sure that something else to target will come along.

Cheers Babbers.

To be honest I don't think anyone, including the most vociferous of those campaigning for the re-opening of the EE, would mind it being replaced. At the moment it's just the best stand for acoustics, & our fans should therefore be in there for the 12th man factor.

They need to knock it down, replace it with a two tier home end (with singers and a safe standing area behind the goal on the bottom tier) and fill in all the corners. Bob's your uncle.

Two tier east end would be good.

You can never really appreciate the capacity of the east end, if you're in high dolman or high williams, you can only see about 50% of the EE seating, due to the low roof. All the better when it's full of away fans, but in games when it's got 1,000 or so home supporters in, it would be good to be able to see them all.

Stupid point, but ehhhhhhhhhh, i needed to input some contribution.

Sorry if I've missed it elsewhere, but a very important bit of info. arrived at my ears courtesy of Radio Brizzle today.

I'm not 100% sure but I thought that I heard Mr Lansdown saying that the Wedlock/East Stand may be re-developed as soon as this summer!. I could have imagined this or mis-heard, as there is nothing on the official site or on here-or the East End subbers forum-so perhaps if anyone else could confirm it that would be appreciated.

If this is true it opens a real can of worms as we go back to the previous 'buy a brick' thingy extravaganza.

Lack of seating available will push up ticket prices, where will the away fans go, what will happen to the 'Open The East End Campaign/Forum'. Lots of questions I'm sure if it does go ahead.

I can remember as a young 'un growing up in the atmosphere of the East End how great it was, the Portsmouth game lives on in the memory, amongst others. Then came the Park End, The Williams, The Dolman Family Enclosure and now the Dolman. Different times, still BCFC.

Times change, some things have to. I want BCFC to stay at Ashton Gate, I never want to share a ground with Rovers-or the egg-chasers, our ground needs improving and if that means change then so be it, we all have to accept it and get on with supporting BCFC as best we can.

I hope that when we get promotion that the ground is modernised. This might be a problem to some, possibly myself, but that can't be helped, it's unfortunate.

I agree that the East End is a special place, so was the Park End, no part of our ground should be wasted, but if the East End is to be flattened then can we just enjoy it for now in all it's worth and be prepared to move on, without kicking up too much of a fuss. We could have a 'Please don't alter the East End Forum/Campaign' but I'm sure that something else to target will come along.

Cheers Babbers.

I sense a bit of negativity towards the east end campaign there, a new stand can have amazing new opportunities. Ive seen it happen abroad. all the club has to do is listen to the fans and not go for the cheapest option :cool: .

Guest North Street
how many fans will the new stand hold? and yes the corners should be filled in would look beter etc

The original plans were for 5200 [i think] so it would have been more or less the same size.

I think everybody loves the east end but it is time it got replaced. Would be good to have a stand around the same size as the dolman replace it. It would of been best to rebuild it whist we're still in this league due to low away support. If it goes ahead where will the away fans go? I seem to remember when they started work on the Atyeo away fans (maybe only for 1 game) were in the Dolman A block (Peterborough game i think!). I guess its possible to put away fans in either end of the dolman with the right amount of segregation.

Guest North Street
I think everybody loves the east end but it is time it got replaced. Would be good to have a stand around the same size as the dolman replace it. It would of been best to rebuild it whist we're still in this league due to low away support. If it goes ahead where will the away fans go? I seem to remember when they started work on the Atyeo away fans (maybe only for 1 game) were in the Dolman A block (Peterborough game i think!). I guess its possible to put away fans in either end of the dolman with the right amount of segregation.

The plans were for a stand around a thousand seats less than the Dolman and for the away support to be housed in the Williams while work was in progress.

The plans were for a stand around a thousand seats less than the Dolman and for the away support to be housed in the Williams while work was in progress.

What about when its finished? Will away fans get part of the new stand or has nothing been decided?

Guest North Street
What about when its finished? Will away fans get part of the new stand or has nothing been decided?

I may have this wrong now but originally the away support would have been housed in the Atyeo after work was finished.

7/8 million for work ending up with a stadium with virtually the same capacity but some nice boxes to fill like the premier club.

To me, the plans for the new East End smacks of compromise and mediocracy.

Rovers have the go ahead for a 18,500 capacity stadium of which 18,000 seats will be available for football. We need to stay one step ahead of them.

My main issues with the new stand are:

- Executive boxes behind the goal?! Ridiculous, corporate 'supporters' are going to watch the game from the side, as they watch football on tv.

- Executive boxes at the REAR of the stand. This makes it an even poorer view for the corporates. Why not have a stand like at Walsall, where the exec boxes are half way up a two tiered stand? It would look better too.

- The capacity. What is the 'useable' capacity actually going to go up to? At a guess I'd say 1,000 (taking the capacity up to around 20,500). Is it even worth the time and lost revenue to build the thing?

- The look. A crappy single tier stand is not attractive. A two tiered affair is more spectacular (even Walsall's) and it may sound stupid, but these things attract fans to stadiums.

- The Atyeo was plagued by planning restrictions due to preserving light for surrounding houses, as far as I know there is no such problem at the East end of the ground. This is therefore an ideal opportunity to build a large stand.

I appreciate the stand will bring off-field revenue, but I do not think exec boxes are as attractive behind the goal and I fail to see how conference facilities and another bar are going to significantly increase our revenue at Ashton Gate when many of these facilities already exist.

The capacity needs increasing, particularly if we go up to the Championship. The demand for the Boro, Rovers, and Forest games was there for all to see and we could have sold many thousands more tickets.

Come on Steve Lansdown - this is your chance to leave a legacy! Don't do it by settling for mediocracy - there are many ways in which these schemes can be funded! Just ask the gas!

Guest North Street
To me, the plans for the new East End smacks of compromise and mediocracy.

Rovers have the go ahead for a 18,500 capacity stadium of which 18,000 seats will be available for football. We need to stay one step ahead of them.

My main issues with the new stand are:

- Executive boxes behind the goal?! Ridiculous, corporate 'supporters' are going to watch the game from the side, as they watch football on tv.

- Executive boxes at the REAR of the stand. This makes it an even poorer view for the corporates. Why not have a stand like at Walsall, where the exec boxes are half way up a two tiered stand? It would look better too.

- The capacity. What is the 'useable' capacity actually going to go up to? At a guess I'd say 1,000 (taking the capacity up to around 20,500). Is it even worth the time and lost revenue to build the thing?

- The look. A crappy single tier stand is not attractive. A two tiered affair is more spectacular (even Walsall's) and it may sound stupid, but these things attract fans to stadiums.

- The Atyeo was plagued by planning restrictions due to preserving light for surrounding houses, as far as I know there is no such problem at the East end of the ground. This is therefore an ideal opportunity to build a large stand.

I appreciate the stand will bring off-field revenue, but I do not think exec boxes are as attractive behind the goal and I fail to see how conference facilities and another bar are going to significantly increase our revenue at Ashton Gate when many of these facilities already exist.

The capacity needs increasing, particularly if we go up to the Championship. The demand for the Boro, Rovers, and Forest games was there for all to see and we could have sold many thousands more tickets.

Come on Steve Lansdown - this is your chance to leave a legacy! Don't do it by settling for mediocracy - there are many ways in which these schemes can be funded! Just ask the gas!

The design really is urine poor isn't it and i would not even describe it as mediocre.

How about two tiers and boxes or boxes as part of the roof ? More importantly how about involving the support already here to help design the thing?

The design really is urine poor isn't it and i would not even describe it as mediocre.

How about two tiers and boxes or boxes as part of the roof ? More importantly how about involving the support already here to help design the thing?

If you have boxes at the back of the stand then the roof inevitably has to be higher and so this wouldn't help the acoustics of the stand. This is why I'd prefer a stand ala Walsall's.

From what I saw of the pictures, our proposed stand was also too far from the pitch and this meant there were large gaps between it and the Dolman and Williams.

The club should absolutely consult supporters, I would be more than happy to give up some time to offer some opinions / advice!

Guest North Street
If you have boxes at the back of the stand then the roof inevitably has to be higher and so this wouldn't help the acoustics of the stand. This is why I'd prefer a stand ala Walsall's.

From what I saw of the pictures, our proposed stand was also too far from the pitch and this meant there were large gaps between it and the Dolman and Williams.

The club should absolutely consult supporters, I would be more than happy to give up some time to offer some opinions / advice!

You, me and the other thousands of supporters would give your expertise from actually going free of charge unlike the expert advice used for the premier club and look how well that's going!

The club need to step back and be open with support about the future of the East End and simply ask for help.

You, me and the other thousands of supporters would give your expertise from actually going free of charge unlike the expert advice used for the premier club and look how well that's going!

The club need to step back and be open with support about the future of the East End and simply ask for help.

Thats a really good point NS.

We the fans, know the best stadia we visit, best looking grounds, best atmospheres etc etc, and it would be nice if we were allowed suggestions into the type of stand to be built.

After all its us that have to put up with it for the next 20 years or so!!!!!

i will be saddened if the new stand sort of under acheives.

It needs to be state of the art, something that will eventually tie in with a new Williams and Dolman stand.

Sort of wrap round ends to it, if you know what i mean.....?

It needs to be state of the art, something that will eventually tie in with a new Williams and Dolman stand.

Corners?!

The club need to look at other grounds around the country that have been successfully rebuilt bit by bit. Some of the best examples are - Ipswich, Norwich and Charlton.

Guest North Street
Thats a really good point NS.

We the fans, know the best stadia we visit, best looking grounds, best atmospheres etc etc, and it would be nice if we were allowed suggestions into the type of stand to be built.

After all its us that have to put up with it for the next 20 years or so!!!!!

i will be saddened if the new stand sort of under acheives.

The consultation for the original design and what i fear is still current simply has not been done and it could harm the club in the long term as we could be left with something support really do not want. Let's find out, maybe it's ciderheads on the bottom prawns on top. But City should step back because it's those sat in the thing who will be paying while repenting at their leisure.

Corners?!

The club need to look at other grounds around the country that have been successfully rebuilt bit by bit. Some of the best examples are - Ipswich, Norwich and Charlton.

Will, i just don't like modern stadium that arent enclosed.(personal opinion only mate)......but adds to the noise/atmosphere when fully enclosed

The consultation for the original design and what i fear is still current simply has not been done and it could harm the club in the long term as we could be left with something support really do not want. Let's find out, maybe it's ciderheads on the bottom prawns on top. But City should step back because it's those sat in the thing who will be paying while repenting at their leisure.

Quote; Ciderheads on the bottom, prawns on the top...........and when they drop their sarnies we get fed as well......... :innocent06:

I'm no engineerand don't really know if it would be possible,butid like to see something like the ateo plonked on top the ee,it would increase our gate to arond 25000 and would give us the great accoustics that we know the ee has with its low roof

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news...cle000292.shtml

Dealt with a lot of the issues here but would add.

1.SL won't have a standing area and said so at the meeting we attended ref the EE.He would like to commence building in the summer, money permitting, but I reckon that could depend on his personal wealth funding it.

2.I agree totally about the two tier stand and I've never seen the sense in replacing a 5,000 seater stand with a 5,000 seater stand at a cost of £8m+Interest, even with more corporate facilities.The original idea about the 8-10,000 seater stand was a good one apart from siting the exec boxes & premier behind the goal.

Nothing decided but the original idea was Williams Block A

I'm no engineerand don't really know if it would be possible,butid like to see something like the ateo plonked on top the ee,it would increase our gate to arond 25000 and would give us the great accoustics that we know the ee has with its low roof.

Impossible.Even the foundations would have to be all reworked to take the stand back to terracing, which SL won't do, period, so forget a standing area however much fans want it.The only way is to knock it down and replace it.The question surrounds "What with?"

For me it's a 8-10,000 seater that allows segregation by blocks of 500, or don't bother

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news...cle000292.shtml

Dealt with a lot of the issues here but would add.

1.SL won't have a standing area and said so at the meeting we attended ref the EE.He would like to commence building in the summer, money permitting, but I reckon that could depend on his personal wealth funding it.

2.I agree totally about the two tier stand and I've never seen the sense in replacing a 5,000 seater stand with a 5,000 seater stand at a cost of £8m+Interest, even with more corporate facilities.The original idea about the 8-10,000 seater stand was a good one apart from siting the exec boxes & premier behind the goal.

ok keep the seating in the ee ,and put an ateo on top still 25000 is this possible?

Archived