IGNORED

Ground Re-Development

freezer

Bradford is another good example and those two 2-tiered stands look even more impressive when you're there. They're very steep.

The point is, there are ways of funding new stands. I don't see why Steve Lansdown should be concerned about dipping into his own pocket to fund the East End.

Football stadiums these days can and SHOULD be used 365 days a year. We should be looking at some sort of mixed use scheme.

I'd suggest BCFC get on the phone to Roger Cooper who dealt with Rovers' scheme.

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news...cle000292.shtml

Dealt with a lot of the issues here but would add.

1.SL won't have a standing area and said so at the meeting we attended ref the EE.He would like to commence building in the summer, money permitting, but I reckon that could depend on his personal wealth funding it.

2.I agree totally about the two tier stand and I've never seen the sense in replacing a 5,000 seater stand with a 5,000 seater stand at a cost of £8m+Interest, even with more corporate facilities.The original idea about the 8-10,000 seater stand was a good one apart from siting the exec boxes & premier behind the goal.

Couldn't agree more with your second point.

Any new development must significantly raise the total ground capapcity as several games this year have illustrated. A 5,000 seater new stand would not be fit for purpose and as you point out would be a total waste of funds.

Did anybody elese notice that the only spaces in the crowd last week, were in the exceutive seating!

this is the wrong idea

your all talking about filling in the corners

but it would look rediculous linking it with the differant heights and stepness of the dolman and williams

the idea should be scrapping the east end extension for now and plough extra money into knocking down the williams and building a new two teared stand there, we could build a fantastic new main stand that runs the full length of the pitch to the ayteo and build it so we can build a new east end that will link up with it perfectley in the future in a new L shaped half of the ground. it would hold about 10,000 then a further 5/7 thousand when the east end would get developed bringing the grounds capacity to 27 thousand or so

this is the way to go

and for the away support to be housed in the Williams while work was in progress.

Interesting bit that. A few years ago I wrote to the ckub complaining that away fans were now housed in OUR traditional end. I pointed out that although converted into all seater stands, the Gallowgate, Holt and Clock Ends remained the home area for newcastle, Villa and Arsenal fans respectively. I then added that visitors to Highbury were accommodated at one end of wither the West or East stands. The club replied this was not possible @ AG as visiting fans MUST have their own entrance and toilets as they are not permitted to come into contact with home fans.

Several people have mentioned filling in the corners. Will this reduce the amount of wind blowing over the pitch? If so the groundsman will find his pitch does not drain so easily and will cut up more just like Old Trafford.

Guest North Street
Interesting bit that. A few years ago I wrote to the ckub complaining that away fans were now housed in OUR traditional end. I pointed out that although converted into all seater stands, the Gallowgate, Holt and Clock Ends remained the home area for newcastle, Villa and Arsenal fans respectively. I then added that visitors to Highbury were accommodated at one end of wither the West or East stands. The club replied this was not possible @ AG as visiting fans MUST have their own entrance and toilets as they are not permitted to come into contact with home fans.

Oh dear, hardly logistics is it? The "entrances" and "toilets" are there for this to be achieved already.

Guest ashtonyate
fully enclosed is best great for the noise and also looks modern i cant see the point of making a stand that is going to be the same size we should be looking at making a good 30000 seater stadium really

I think the club should be looking at a ground of at least 35,000 if you go any lower than that you could never survive in the prem and that must be the ultimate aim.

I can't see us pulling down the Atyeo or Dolman that leaves the Williams or the East End It may be that they builded the East End in two stages but there must be a plan to get us up to 35,000 or we will be domed to be in the second flite for ever.

this is the wrong idea

but it would look rediculous linking it with the differant heights and stepness of the dolman and williams

the idea should be scrapping the east end extension for now and plough extra money into knocking down the williams and building a new two teared stand there, we could build a fantastic new main stand that runs the full length of the pitch to the ayteo and build it so we can build a new east end that will link up with it perfectley in the future in a new L shaped half of the ground. it would hold about 10,000 then a further 5/7 thousand when the east end would get developed bringing the grounds capacity to 27 thousand or so

this is the way to go

I disagree. If we fill in the corners it leaves a template if you like for the remaining stands to be built on. However, corners aren't a necessity. In my opinion, the Wedlock should be rebuilt first, as all the clubs offices and VIP stuff is in the Williams at the moment. If you rebuild the East End first, you can move all the offices, etc temporarily into the new stand whilst the Williams is rebuilt.

I think the club needs to make a long-term plan for the expansion of Ashton Gate. We cannot have Rovers having a ground that has better facilities than us. Firstly, I think we should rebuild the East End with a two-tiered stand, and if we establish ourselves in the Championship, then we should rebuild the Williams too. This would get rid of all pillars in the ground.

On another note, seeing as we are getting new red seats in the Dolman, couldn't the club save lots of money by ripping out the seats in the East End that aren't used due to segregation, fitting backs to them and sticking them in the Upper Dolman?

EDIT: I was bored

Ashton Gate Now (Wedlock Kinda Screwed Up)

Ashton Gate New?

Or you could go even further...

this is the wrong idea

this is the way to go

I disagree strongly with your idea. Basically I would like to see the EE replaced with a stand of equal height to the Dolman with the gap between being filled with a corner.

This would then set a benchmark for the Williams to be replaced with a stand of the same size as the Dolman with the corner being filled in between the Williams and the new EE. I would then like to see the remaining two corners filled with some sloping stands to join up with the Atyeo. This whole design would make the ground like modern and attractive yet at the same time keeps looks unique to Bristol City and remains traditional.

I think the big stand behind the goal at Bradford would be a perfect example, as long as it wrapped around the corners in the same design.

bradford1.jpg

Now that I do like........could get good acoustics like the corner of the Lu'on ground near the away end........but its gotta hold more than 5,000, gotta be 7,500 minimum to 10-11,000. why get a smaller stadium effectively if we're looking to the future

The stand suggested in Aberdeen is a large stand, but it completely drains the atmosphere at the ground and looks ridiculous compared to the delapidated surround stands! I think it was only built to stop the rest of the ground from being swept away by the wind (the sea is behind it). It would be a ridiculous idea anyway to develop the east end in potentially our first season in the Championship for ages, the capacity would be reduced despite bigger home and away support, surely we should establish ourselves first. Yes the eastend needs developed but with a stand that maintains a good atmosphere and when the time is right.

The stand suggested in Aberdeen is a large stand, but it completely drains the atmosphere at the ground and looks ridiculous compared to the delapidated surround stands! I think it was only built to stop the rest of the ground from being swept away by the wind (the sea is behind it). It would be a ridiculous idea anyway to develop the east end in potentially our first season in the Championship for ages, the capacity would be reduced despite bigger home and away support, surely we should establish ourselves first. Yes the eastend needs developed but with a stand that maintains a good atmosphere and when the time is right.

completely agree, why rush it?

Guest North Street

Now i have never been in the mother but to me that stand looks stark, bland, conservative and could do with a slanted or curved roof along with a large club crest on the seats and roof all to make it a bit more Aberdeen less B&Q. It could be anywhere or any sport and i would have bet all the sound just heads out to the oil rigs but you have confirmed it.

Its just not Sexy is it?

Like you i would be going "Steve, whoa, fckin whoa", time for a really big rethink!

If SteveL is genuine in his desire for us to be the ManU of the West Country, the first thing he should do is abandon the c**k eyed plan to replace a 5,000 capacity stand with a 5,000 capacity stand, as Bristol Boy and many others have said.

Don't know where the finance is coming from, but in an idea world I think it should be a 10,000 capacity double-tiered with standing on the lower tier. That would give us our EE back with extra capacity on top.

don't see what SteveL has against standing - if you don't like it, you don't go in there. I'm prepared to risk my life to stand up, I'd even sign a disclaimer absolving the club, Lansdown and Sexstone against any claim if I were to be killed in the mayhem.

The away fans could go in the Atyeo - the argument they have to come in via Winterstoke Road is a tired one, for years they were in the open end and it would be no different to dozens of grounds around the country.

That would give us a 25,000 capacity, which I believe we would come close to filling most weeks if we were doing well in the Championship - look at Norwich, Ipswich, Southampton.

Longer term, it should be designed to be capable of being wrapped around like Bradfords, with the Williams being an extension of it - and taken right up to the opposite end rather than stopping some way short as the Williams does currently.

That could give us a capacity of 35,000, back to what we had before all seating and the health and safety fools got their way.

We could be in the Premiership within 3/5 years with gates of 30,000+ and a noisy and vibrant Ashton Gate. I won't even mind the Premier Seaters being upgraded to sit in their glass boxes.

Well, we can all dream.

Archived