IGNORED

Today's Evening Post

Tomo

Steve has told the EP that we will need a budget spend of around 4.5 million to compete in the Championship

(2.5 million in League 1).

That only leaves us 2 million for increased wages and the odd new signing.

Is that enough to succeed and stay in the Championship (when we get there !)

Tomo

It actually quotes 4 to 5 million....

At least we know some money will be spent and I honestly believe Steve Lansdown will come up trumps if we get promoted. I can not see us spending a great deal if we don't get into the Championship.

He has played down his windfall of £250 million (hopefully thats coming soon from the stock market float) but I firmly believe he will splash out a reasonable amount...........possibly an extra £5 million on top of our normal spend whilst in League 1.

We must consolidate in the Championship and not come straight back down if we get promotion this season.

Tomo

2 class strikers are top priority whatever division we are in next season and they do not come cheap (fees or wages), probably also need a creative midfield player and a left winger/midfield player when/if we go up so £2m might JUST be enough for recruitment/wage rises etc but only JUST.

BCAGFC

It actually quotes 4 to 5 million....

At least we know some money will be spent and I honestly believe Steve Lansdown will come up trumps if we get promoted. I can not see us spending a great deal if we don't get into the Championship.

He has played down his windfall of £250 million (hopefully thats coming soon from the stock market float) but I firmly believe he will splash out a reasonable amount...........possibly an extra £5 million on top of our normal spend whilst in League 1.

We must consolidate in the Championship and not come straight back down if we get promotion this season.

Tomo

Yep, that sounds about right!! Reading an article in The Sun where he talks about his company being floated, and how he wants BC to be the Man Utd of the West l think he will spend the cash.He also said that he didnt want to be chairman of a league one club, that he wanted to be in the championship and the prem....... lets just wait and see.

With Steve becoming one of the richest chairman's in the country, it would only seem obvious, he will spend a few quid, without being over the top.

Any financial input around 5 million over the course of next season should be enough and be the start of a long stay in 2nd tier football. We can then look forward reaching the promised land thereafter...

In it great thinking of all this!!!!!!!!!!!!! but lets focus on 1 game at a time as they say.

Gillingham 0 City 1

Forest 3 Rotherham 1

Scunny to draw...

SteveL won't be splashing out an additional £5m on players whether it's fees or wages, put that out of your mind.

He most definitely will not do something like that which will land the club with a wage bill it can't sustain. He's said countless times that the club needs to be viable financially.

What he will likely do is invest in the stadium company in a way which increases it's revenue every year. That means redevelopment to give us facilities that will generate income on non matchdays like conferencing as well as better corporate boxes for matchdays and the like.

Increasing the money the stadium company generates should then lead to it being plowed back into the football club. That was SL's stated intention when he split the organisation of the stadium from the club, that it would allow the stadium to focus on making money to support the football club.

Extra money spent on the team in the first Championship season (if we're lucky enough to go up - touch wood) will probably be limited to the extra revenue we expect to gain by being there. That would probably be something like £2m, if we have a couple of thousand extra season ticket sales.

I'd expect to see far less than a million spent on fees, with more players going than coming in. The wage budget will have to go up because some of the players will have clauses about promotion in contracts and the ones due for renewal will look for better wages, but hopefully we can keep some sort of structure and not destroy it by bringing a bunch of big time charlies here for a pay day.

I think Robins72 posted something about us being likely to go for foreign signings for value for money, seems sensible provided we can be sure of their ability and that they'll settle.

SteveL won't be splashing out an additional £5m on players whether it's fees or wages, put that out of your mind.

He most definitely will not do something like that which will land the club with a wage bill it can't sustain. He's said countless times that the club needs to be viable financially.

What he will likely do is invest in the stadium company in a way which increases it's revenue every year. That means redevelopment to give us facilities that will generate income on non matchdays like conferencing as well as better corporate boxes for matchdays and the like.

Increasing the money the stadium company generates should then lead to it being plowed back into the football club. That was SL's stated intention when he split the organisation of the stadium from the club, that it would allow the stadium to focus on making money to support the football club.

Extra money spent on the team in the first Championship season (if we're lucky enough to go up - touch wood) will probably be limited to the extra revenue we expect to gain by being there. That would probably be something like £2m, if we have a couple of thousand extra season ticket sales.

I'd expect to see far less than a million spent on fees, with more players going than coming in. The wage budget will have to go up because some of the players will have clauses about promotion in contracts and the ones due for renewal will look for better wages, but hopefully we can keep some sort of structure and not destroy it by bringing a bunch of big time charlies here for a pay day.

I think Robins72 posted something about us being likely to go for foreign signings for value for money, seems sensible provided we can be sure of their ability and that they'll settle.

Yeah I was told by a mate of mine that Spoke to Lansdown on Saturday. He wont spend loads of cash on players and stated he will look abroad because foreign players are cheaper wages. Hes not going to make the same mistakes as happened last time we got promoted and spend loads on strikers thats for sure. Johnson has proved you don't have to spend thousands on players. Maybe we will end up with players on season long loans as well?

IF we go up then hopefully our average gate will increase....

this extra income would be offset against increased players wages and the cost of bringing in extra players, who's cost would also be offset by selling the players that GJ thinks wouldn't cut the mustard at a higher level.

So the incresed money spent would be a lot less than people think, as the first season in the Championship would be all about survival, and not winning it.

then there will be the monies from hopefully a quality shirt sponsor, and increased advertising as in the Championship, there would be much more television coverage.

so Steve L and the Board wouldn't need an open cheque book!!,

:farmer:

Yeah I was told by a mate of mine that Spoke to Lansdown on Saturday. He wont spend loads of cash on players and stated he will look abroad because foreign players are cheaper wages. Hes not going to make the same mistakes as happened last time we got promoted and spend loads on strikers thats for sure. Johnson has proved you don't have to spend thousands on players. Maybe we will end up with players on season long loans as well?

Season long loans, one or two, would be fine with me as long as the quality is there - which means they'd have to be a great deal better than the loan signings we've made so far. Someone like Lloyd Sam who we tried to get this season would be good though.

I think any transfer fees we spend will go mainly on strikers because good strikers always cost money. You simply can't find them by looking for bargains because goalscoring is a natural talent that doesn't appear overnight, players who can score goals consistently do so from a very young age and are almost always in demand.

If we look abroad for two good strikers perhaps we can get a couple that would cost £1m were they English for less than half that but there is increased risk with signing foreigners because the English game is faster and more physical and they don't always settle in.

IF we go up then hopefully our average gate will increase....

I'd hope so but it's worth bearing in mind the actual money we're talking about here.

Say we do go up and we sell 11,000 season tickets, which would be fantastic and would be an increase of just over 3,000 or around 40% up.

It would probably give us an average attendance at home of 14,000 plus the away fans - so anything from 14,500 to 16,000.

That actually will equate to something like £750k in revenue because not all of them will be full adult prices.

There will be no LDV (thank christ) but that loses us revenue.

There would be some extra TV money but we're not talking millions here, we're probably talking £200-£300k extra over a season because we already do better than almost any other club in league one or two from that.

There would be some extra sponsorship and better advertising rates but again we're not looking at millions.

To put all this in perspective, our wage bill for playing staff both in 2005 and in 2004 was £4.2m.

If we were to stay up there for a few seasons and get stronger we'd probably see year on year average attendances going up, and if we develop the ground we can increase revenue further and give us the means to compete with the likes of Sunderland, and Birmingham. It will be a long road but with the right leadership both on the field and off it can be done.

I'd hope so but it's worth bearing in mind the actual money we're talking about here.

Say we do go up and we sell 11,000 season tickets, which would be fantastic and would be an increase of just over 3,000 or around 40% up.

It would probably give us an average attendance at home of 14,000 plus the away fans - so anything from 14,500 to 16,000.

That actually will equate to something like £750k in revenue because not all of them will be full adult prices.

There would be some extra TV money but we're not talking millions here, we're probably talking £200-£300k extra over a season because we already do better than almost any other club in league one or two from that.

There would be some extra sponsorship and better advertising rates but again we're not looking at millions.

To put all this in perspective, our wage bill for playing staff both in 2005 and in 2004 was £4.2m.

If we were to stay up there for a few seasons and get stronger we'd probably see year on year average attendances going up, and if we develop the ground we can increase revenue further and give us the means to compete with the likes of Sunderland, and Birmingham. It will be a long road but with the right leadership both on the field and off it can be done.

great post but don't 4get we will go into the 3rd round of the fa cup which at the least means more prize money

If we look abroad for two good strikers perhaps we can get a couple that would cost £1m were they English for less than half that but there is increased risk with signing foreigners because the English game is faster and more physical and they don't always settle in.

A bit off topic but I don't agree that the English game is faster and more physical than abroad ...

A bit off topic but I don't agree that the English game is faster and more physical than abroad ...

Which leagues would you say are faster or more physical than the English ones? I can't think of any myself. Perhaps some of the eastern european leagues are near but the latin ones play at almost walking pace.

Which leagues would you say are faster or more physical than the English ones? I can't think of any myself. Perhaps some of the eastern european leagues are near but the latin ones play at almost walking pace.

German football is on the rise the last few years. We've seen many teams come through that compete at the same degree of English football.

But I wouldn't expect City to be able to afford a goalscorer from the Bundesliga :surrender:

why cant he keep his ###### mouth shut up until when/if we get the job done?! we've heard this every year from lansdown. we're setting ourselves up for a mighty fall. all talk of promotion should be banned cos we aint going to do it the way we're going. let's stop talking ourselves up and start doing it on the pitch first

The early rounds of the LDV don't attract too many supporters. Having paid the bill for Police, Stewards, groundstaff, match officials and electric bill for the floodlights you'll find the early rounds are probably a real drain on the finances.

Championship teams get paid more than League 1 teams for televised games and tend to get shown nore often.

If we are in a higher division with more people attending and seeing us on TV, the sponsors will expect to pay more for promoting their brand.

The early rounds of the LDV don't attract too many supporters. Having paid the bill for Police, Stewards, groundstaff, match officials and electric bill for the floodlights you'll find the early rounds are probably a real drain on the finances.

Championship teams get paid more than League 1 teams for televised games and tend to get shown nore often.

If we are in a higher division with more people attending and seeing us on TV, the sponsors will expect to pay more for promoting their brand.

All true, though I'm sure we don't make a loss on LDV games, but we're not talking about much money we're talking about <5% of our annual revenue as it is right now.

Overseas players - Not a great success - Geert Meyer, Perti Jantunen, Clements Zwijnenberg, Vegard Hansen, Ivan Testimitanu, Vilmos Sebok, Bo Andersen, Soren Andersen, Henry McKop, Ray Atteveldt.

On the positive side - Jan Moller

Who have I missed? And how many have I mis-spelt??

Overseas players - Not a great success - Geert Meyer, Perti Jantunen, Clements Zwijnenberg, Vegard Hansen, Ivan Testimitanu, Vilmos Sebok, Bo Andersen, Soren Andersen, Henry McKop, Ray Atteveldt.

On the positive side - Jan Moller

Who have I missed? And how many have I mis-spelt??

Jacki was a Pole he was good!!!

Paul Cheesley once quoted a figure of £15m if we got into the Championship. I admit that was around three years ago, but surely not a lot has changed.

Agree that we would need a striker, problem is, we need one now!

MM

£15 Million - Are you having a laugh? How much did Colchester spend? Next season, if we go up, it will be a case of survival, so GJ has to be on the ball for Bosman frees, and then only spend what we can afford, and looking for value. Longer term, we need to get Academy Players coming through, backed up by shrewd signings. Can we realistically compete with Clubs who have a huge parachute payment kitty?

On Saturday, 6 Clubs had attendances over £20K - We are certainly not a Big Club at that level.

£15 Million - Are you having a laugh? How much did Colchester spend? Next season, if we go up, it will be a case of survival, so GJ has to be on the ball for Bosman frees, and then only spend what we can afford, and looking for value. Longer term, we need to get Academy Players coming through, backed up by shrewd signings. Can we realistically compete with Clubs who have a huge parachute payment kitty?

On Saturday, 6 Clubs had attendances over £20K - We are certainly not a Big Club at that level.

250 MILION .....!!!!!!!! Why bosman????

Archived