IGNORED

Players To Leave In The Summer

westonred

If (or should i say when) we get promotion to the promised land of 'The Championship' which of the current 1st team squad do you think will be released in the summer ??

Here's a few names for starters

Woodman

Murray

Russell

Smith

Partridge

:city: :goingup: :city:

C.T.I.D

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Not Murray, and did you know we've never lost a game that Russell has started in.

I bump into Scotty quite often in Weston in the summer months and have had a couple nights drinking with him so i wouldn't want to see him go (and he's promised me his shirt at the end of the season don't forget that Scotty if your reading this) but GJ may want to clear the decks for new players..

As for Russell i think he's an awesome player but he will be another year older and could he cope with Championship football

If (or should i say when) we get promotion to the promised land of 'The Championship' which of the current 1st team squad do you think will be released in the summer ??

Here's a few names for starters

Woodman YES

Murray NO

Russell NO

Smith YES

Partridge YES

:city: :goingup: :city:

C.T.I.D

As for Russell i think he's an awesome player but he will be another year older and could he cope with Championship football

I would agree with that and i'm not sure why he inst picked more often, his passing is pretty good and he inst scared of a tackle also has a tidy shot on him

Orr - Distribution not good enough for next level up

Woodman - Not good enough

McCombe - Too Slow

Murray - Too old, not good enough last time around

Brooker - Too injury prone

Jevons - Not quick enough to trouble better defenses

Betsy - Not good enough for the league below us!

Russel - Too old

Smith - See Betsy

Partridge - Not in plans

Wilson - Not good enough

McCombe - Too Slow

Russel - Too old

Smith - See Betsy

Partridge - Not in plans

Wilson - Not good enough

Shall we just get rid of the entire squad and start with a whole new set of 22-23 players then? Bit unfair with some(most) of them!

Shall we just get rid of the entire squad and start with a whole new set of 22-23 players then? Bit unfair with some(most) of them!

I remember the last time we went up and in clouded grandeur started building from the front while opposition strikers attacked our cullinder like defence and we were relegated.

No time for sentiment, if this squad reaches the promised land it will require a major overhaul to even stay there

And which ones exactly are unfair?

Murray and possibly Russell to stay, depending on what league we are in, both still have plenty of quality and good expereince, both also have a spot on attitude as well.

players to leave though,

Woodman - hasn't really pushed on and established himself this season

Parto - not in long term plans

Smith - like him alot, but unsure if he has the quality for league one

apart from them any fringe young players I think and that's about it, we have the basis of a very good squad

I remember the last time we went up and in clouded grandeur started building from the front while opposition strikers attacked our cullinder like defence and we were relegated.

No time for sentiment, if this squad reaches the promised land it will require a major overhaul to even stay there

Orr: Distribution has improved alot and will keep improving

McCombe: He doesnt need pace, he has kept alot of strikers quiet this season and can do it next season

Murray: Wasnt that he wasnt good enough, the man who signed him left, then the next manager didnt like him

Brooker: ! season out through injuries. Doesnt mean he is going to to the same next season.

Jevons: Has good skill on him and a good shot. Wouldnt need pace alot of the time.

Russell: Experience. Cal do well at that level.

Partridge: Not in plans because for this season weve got a settled defence. Would excel in the championship if given the chance.

Bad arguement IMO, yes we did spent almost millions on our front 2 last time, but we have got a much better defence this time around.

You only need to look at Colchester and reading to see that you don't need to rip a club apart to make it in the Championship, maybe just maybe that league would better suit our squad?

Plus we have got a good team spirit at the moment, adding 5/7 new players may ruin it.

McCombe - Too Slow

Russel - Too old

Smith - See Betsy

Partridge - Not in plans

Wilson - Not good enough

I agree with Orr, Woody, Murray, Smith & Partridge.

Brooker was player of the year last season, obviously he has been unfortunate with the way this season has

gone but I do think he is worth keeping. Jamie McCombe, along with Louis, has been our most consistant player and

Wilson and Betsy have to be given some games to bed-in to the team. Russell has never let the team down.

Jevo's lack of form and confidence is a mystery and I'm not sure whether he would be able to hack it in the

Championship.

McCombe - Too Slow

Russel - Too old

Smith - See Betsy

Partridge - Not in plans

Wilson - Not good enough

MURRAY...... not good enought last time round???? I believe the whole squad at that time wasn't good enough, you can't single out players as being the whole teams demise. He done fine at reading in the championship and easily slotted in. Murray's one you best most dangerous players when he's on his game..

MURRAY...... not good enought last time round???? I believe the whole squad at that time wasn't good enough, you can't single out players as being the whole teams demise. He done fine at reading in the championship and easily slotted in. Murray's one you best most dangerous players when he's on his game..

I think he meant he didnt think Murray wasnt good enough when he was at Reading.

I'm sorry, but I have to question the concerns about Orr. I agree his distribution can be questionned, but I think if you keep a good eye on him, his distribution is actually fairly good; especially on the deck. He often plays intelligent balls to feet; but his crossing is poor.

In terms of defence, he is big, strong, fairly quick and totally committed. Remember Matty Hill, his distribution at times was dire. Often found the stands, rather than red shirts.

Solid championship player (one of the few who have left City in last 5 years to achieve the step up), I think Orr can do the same and honestly believe that if keeps improving at current rate; could well be hard to keep hold of in a year or two.

Don't let him take penalties though! ;)

Orr: Distribution has improved alot and will keep improving

McCombe: He doesnt need pace, he has kept alot of strikers quiet this season and can do it next season

Murray: Wasnt that he wasnt good enough, the man who signed him left, then the next manager didnt like him

Brooker: ! season out through injuries. Doesnt mean he is going to to the same next season.

Jevons: Has good skill on him and a good shot. Wouldnt need pace alot of the time.

Russell: Experience. Cal do well at that level.

Partridge: Not in plans because for this season weve got a settled defence. Would excel in the championship if given the chance.

So based on your argument a team in the championship requires little to no pace and doesn't matter if you can pass the ball!!

Believe me the quality of striker in the championship is well above what we are used to, if you have no pace you have no championship future, you cannot expect championship midfielders/defences to just lump the ball forward onto a center halves head as they do in this division!

So based on your argument a team in the championship requires little to no pace and doesn't matter if you can pass the ball!!

Believe me the quality of striker in the championship is well above what we are used to, if you have no pace you have no championship future, you cannot expect championship midfielders/defences to just lump the ball forward onto a center halves head as they do in this division!

Darren Moore of Derby? Not seen him play? And we have pace in the team, Murray still has pace, Betsy has pace when he uses it, JMW has pace in abundance, Johnson has pace (for a midfielder). McCallister isnt the Slowest, neither is Brooker. We definatly have a squad capable enough, with the addition of 2 or 3 players, to finish mid-table-ish IMO in the championship next season.

I think that it's a useful idea to look at how other clubs have got on when promoted... As Badger mentioned, Colchester are probably the team we should be looking to emulate if we're lucky enough to go up this season. Another good example is Bristol rugby. I think that a lot of our success this season has been based on the team spirit - exemplified by our scoring of late winners etc - and to rip that up would be to undo a lot of the good work that's got us where we are. Bristol haven't signed any big names since their promotion to the Guinness Premiership, but they really are a team that is greater than the sum of its parts. Colchester are the same, and I think that it's what we should strive for as well.

Losing players such as Orr and Aggy without giving the squad as a whole a chance in The Championship - much as I agree with some of the comments about pace, distribution etc - would not be a great idea imho.

funny thing i heard was woodman went to see GJ about going out on loan around new year and was told by GJ not to go anywhere because he was in his plans soon.

Possibly because at that time there was injuries and suspensions looming? I don't think GJ would have left it this long. Its a shame we cant produce a decent natural left back like southampton have with Gareth Bale. Nothing against Woody but hes not exactly the best is he. His heart is definatly in for the cause and so is the passion and enthusiasm, but, unfortnately, he just hasnt got enough ability for a top-of-the-table league 1 club, let alone championship club I'm afraid.

Possibly because at that time there was injuries and suspensions looming? I don't think GJ would have left it this long. Its a shame we cant produce a decent natural left back like southampton have with Gareth Bale. Nothing against Woody but hes not exactly the best is he. His heart is definatly in for the cause and so is the passion and enthusiasm, but, unfortnately, he just hasnt got enough ability for a top-of-the-table league 1 club, let alone championship club I'm afraid.

Isn't Martin Slocombe a left back? he signed professional forms on Saturday and I thought that's what they said about him.

Additionally I would keep Russell for the experience he can pass on to Cole Skuse alone, I see him as a very useful squad player.

Darren Moore of Derby? Not seen him play? And we have pace in the team, Murray still has pace, Betsy has pace when he uses it, JMW has pace in abundance, Johnson has pace (for a midfielder). McCallister isnt the Slowest, neither is Brooker. We definatly have a squad capable enough, with the addition of 2 or 3 players, to finish mid-table-ish IMO in the championship next season.

Do you honestly think Betsy is good enough? From what I have seen he is not even good enough for this level!! Darren Moor is a damn site faster than McCombe.

Brooker I believe is neither quick enough or skillfull enough. The others apart from Murray I agree with you, I think for a comfortable mid table championship finish we should be looking at bringing in at least 4 maybe 5 players BETTER THAN WE ALREADY HAVE

From those under contract, I would say that Woodman and Partridge are on their way.

Russell for me was going, however he really did impress me on Saturday. Murray has that extra spark we need and could be a great squad player and Smith has only just signed.

Fringe players like Benyon may be on their way, however I would imagine players like JMW, Smith, Artus etc to go out on loan should new players come in.

McCombe - Too Slow

You think we should let go our player of the season who has been an absolute rock at the back and our most influential defender since Shaun Taylor?? Youve obviously spent too much time in France....

We should release some of our squad players such as Smith, Woodman, Partridge, and maybe Russell...but the bulk of our team I think has earned the chance to prove themselves in the Championship. Another striker, an agressive Tommy Doc style midfielder and a left winger should make us a decent enough side.

Crazy stuff. McCombe could be our player of the season and we have one of the meaniest defences in the country!

And as for Brooker - one season does not make a swan. I'm sure Newcastle will be selling Owen in the summer then.

No room for sentiment I'm afraid, I agree that McCombe could be our player of the year however that does not mean he could do it again against, better, quiker, cuter attackers, just my opinion though

Brooker's second touch is too often a sliding tackle, against better players I believe he will struggle, again just my opinion

Archived