IGNORED

Boxes

Rich

Last year I met Bernard Cipps, Doug Harman and Dave Lewis to discuss putting hospitality boxes to the rear of the Dolman stand.At the time Bernard Cripps felt that the boxes might be considered to be imposing for the occupants of the flats. In the light of a recent planning decision for the memorial stadium development where the development would certainly be imposing (but was allowed), I would like to suggest that my proposals are looked at again.In my opinion boxes would be much more desireable running the length of the pitch,and also a more viable long term commercial benefit as opposed to the end of the ground.The proposed boxes in the new stand must have been difficult to market, and this area should be utilised for extra seating and increased capacity.Could someone give me an email address for Mr Harman or someone higher, or pass this on.I would also like to know other peoples oppinions .

from a financial standing it's not worth concidering the development of AG further, it's and old stadium and the HSE along with BCC and all the other interfearing busy-bodys that come to make life hard would render boxes unthinkable.

I can see us building a new staduim once we have convinced the money men BCFC are a club with a future in top flight football. this will happen within 3 yrs.

Agree with Ciderhider,

I think that a new 30-35k stadium is far more likely than the development of the gate.

The land next to the Park and ride would be the sensible option, walking distance from the current ground, ready made parking etc.

Boxes in the Dolman will reduce the capacity of the Dolman,thus where you build the boxes will have a impact an the capacity.

I am led to belive on very good authority that the new East End Stand will be built(yes I know we have heard that before) so it will be much more cost effective to put boxes in this stand instead of the Dolman.

Once the new stand is complete (with boxes) the next logical set is to replace the Williams , this will of course will depend on money and what standard of football we are playing in, I'm sure this stand will include boxes running the length of the pitch.

Last year I met Bernard Cipps, Doug Harman and Dave Lewis to discuss putting hospitality boxes to the rear of the Dolman stand.At the time Bernard Cripps felt that the boxes might be considered to be imposing for the occupants of the flats. In the light of a recent planning decision for the memorial stadium development where the development would certainly be imposing (but was allowed), I would like to suggest that my proposals are looked at again.In my opinion boxes would be much more desireable running the length of the pitch,and also a more viable long term commercial benefit as opposed to the end of the ground.The proposed boxes in the new stand must have been difficult to market, and this area should be utilised for extra seating and increased capacity.Could someone give me an email address for Mr Harman or someone higher, or pass this on.I would also like to know other peoples oppinions .

Can remember all the hype about it Rich.

Bristol City contacted us discuss the ideal.

Myself and a business collegue were very interested, and were going to take a box between the two of us.

Not sure if it was for 10 or 12 persons per box, but we were right up for it.

Then it just died a death and i heard no more.

Can remember all the hype about it Rich.

Bristol City contacted us discuss the ideal.

Myself and a business collegue were very interested, and were going to take a box between the two of us.

Not sure if it was for 10 or 12 persons per box, but we were right up for it.

Then it just died a death and i heard no more.

My understading of the boxes in Dolman Stand saga is that it was abandoned because of the design of the Dolman was not compatable with putting in boxes.Acces to them would have been an unsurmountable problem due to the limited access in and out of the Dolman and there being no space at the rear of the stand to build in exits.

It just wasn't possible.

Boxes in the Dolman will reduce the capacity of the Dolman,thus where you build the boxes will have a impact an the capacity.

I am led to belive on very good authority that the new East End Stand will be built(yes I know we have heard that before) so it will be much more cost effective to put boxes in this stand instead of the Dolman.

Once the new stand is complete (with boxes) the next logical set is to replace the Williams , this will of course will depend on money and what standard of football we are playing in, I'm sure this stand will include boxes running the length of the pitch.

My proposal for boxes in the Dolman were a section added to the back, only reducing the capacity by two rows, not the 1,500 that could be added in the new stand.You say the boxes would be more cost effective to build in the new stand,I say why take away a good area at the end of the ground to put boxes when people who want to invest in boxes want them on the side of the ground.

My understading of the boxes in Dolman Stand saga is that it was abandoned because of the design of the Dolman was not compatable with putting in boxes.Acces to them would have been an unsurmountable problem due to the limited access in and out of the Dolman and there being no space at the rear of the stand to build in exits.

It just wasn't possible.

Not denying that, but if i remember correctly, there was an ideal to have a lift put in place to take the box holders up to the seating.

Can remember hospitality being a problem, and hot food probably brought over from the Williams stand.

Like i said, it died a death, but was very keen on the ideal, simply from where the game could be viewed from.

It just wasn't possible.

My design was to put the boxes outside the Dolman at high level.There are many means of access not least to the new stand and it's catering facilities.This plan is possible, it just needs a little vision from people in the right places.

Not denying that, but if i remember correctly, there was an ideal to have a lift put in place to take the box holders up to the seating.

Can remember hospitality being a problem, and hot food probably brought over from the Williams stand.

Like i said, it died a death, but was very keen on the ideal, simply from where the game could be viewed from.

You are definitely Bristolian

There were some designs done to utilise the space above the Supporters Club Bar and below the seating. This would have taken away some of the Dolman seating.

Please read my post again. Planning issues change. Bernard cripps thought my proposal might upset the council, the same council that have just given the go ahead to plans at horfield which will allow student accommodation to overlook peoples houses.This is a new idea not looked at before by the club until I sujjested it last year.

You are definitely Bristolian

It's not just Arny, I'm most definately Bristolian as well - born at Southmead and brought up in Bedminster. As our Bristolian ancestors declared on the side of the English Parliament prior to the civil war, may I also add "God save us from the Royalist Gestapo Police tyranny". :icecream:

Please read my post again. Planning issues change. Bernard cripps thought my proposal might upset the council, the same council that have just given the go ahead to plans at horfield which will allow student accommodation to overlook peoples houses.This is a new idea not looked at before by the club until I sujjested it last year.

Wooo ooooh!!

Sooooorrrry

All I was doing was commenting that designs had been done before, I was not rubbishing your idea, how can I, I haven't seen it.

But I do know BC (good initials for a City fan, never noticed that before) knows quite alot about building, planning etc.

Wooo ooooh!!

Sooooorrrry

All I was doing was commenting that designs had been done before, I was not rubbishing your idea, how can I, I haven't seen it.

But I do know BC (good initials for a City fan, never noticed that before) knows quite alot about building, planning etc.

B C obviosly knows about building, so do I, maybe not as much, but this was my idea and it needs pursuing. I wasn't being funny, I just thought you missed my point about a contentious planning issue setting a precident and it could be worthwhile investigating once more. sooorry you took it the wrong way xxxx.

B C obviosly knows about building, so do I, maybe not as much, but this was my idea and it needs pursuing. I wasn't being funny, I just thought you missed my point about a contentious planning issue setting a precident and it could be worthwhile investigating once more. sooorry you took it the wrong way xxxx.

No probs xxxxx

You won't build a ground for £30 - 35K

i think you'll find he was talking Capacity not Money Drew! :innocent06:

I remember the plans too, couldn't have a chosen ST seat in B block cos of it one year.

Think Boxes would be better suited there or if The Club is to show a bit of vision why not wait until the inevitable re-devolopment of the Williams in a few years time and situate them there?

It'd be a shame to have hospitality boxes in any new EE, personally a double deckered bowl shaped 10,000 capacity stand with unreserved seating on the bottom tier would be my preference.

hey-ho, what does my preference matter?

redevelopment of the gate will be happening sooner rather than later, could well be the end of the season if the Hargreave Lansdown floatation complete by the end of may, as that is when they will need to start work on the East End in order to get it ready for the start of 08/09 season, very unoffical rumour has it, that the new stand is going to be linked again to the Williams in preparation for that stand to have an extra tier built on to it, some of the boxes will be in the East End however the current location of the police box is likely to be moving to accodate a few boxes in that corner.

either way, a whole new ground is a total no go, as there is no where to build it and adding Boxes to the dolman was in the end far more expensive than it was worth, especally after the Hartlepool game when the stand "wobbled" severe structual strengthing work would have to take place for any major improvements to be made to the stand.

redevelopment of the gate will be happening sooner rather than later, could well be the end of the season if the Hargreave Lansdown floatation complete by the end of may, as that is when they will need to start work on the East End in order to get it ready for the start of 08/09 season, very unoffical rumour has it, that the new stand is going to be linked again to the Williams in preparation for that stand to have an extra tier built on to it, some of the boxes will be in the East End however the current location of the police box is likely to be moving to accodate a few boxes in that corner.

either way, a whole new ground is a total no go, as there is no where to build it and adding Boxes to the dolman was in the end far more expensive than it was worth, especally after the Hartlepool game when the stand "wobbled" severe structual strengthing work would have to take place for any major improvements to be made to the stand.

Well you seem to be ITK enough concerning these things.

Don't know if you'll care or anyone of any authority will read this but having visited Villa Park on several occasions over the last few years if we're not careful we'll be at risk of developing The New East End into what is their 80's built North Stand as opposed to their People's Stand; The Holte End.

I'd seriously wait for the re-development of The Williams before installing boxes. The coperate folk don't want to view the game from behind the goal, The People don't want them to have to either.

Later on boxes could also be whacked into The Atyeo if The Club take off proper, which, well.... :fingerscrossed: .

My fear is the executive influence on The Club will be too short sighted and in years to come people will look back on it with the same scorn that they do The Atyeo now.

the current location of the police box is likely to be moving to accodate a few boxes in that corner.

Yeah, whack the first new needed boxes in the corner where the clock and the ajoining EastEnd/Williams bit is, I reckon.

Don't jeopardise our long term equivalent of the Holte End/Kop just for short term benefit's of Villa's North Stand, please.

Wait for the Williams, then do your worse with The Atyeo/Dolman. In years to come, it'll make sense.

According to the wdp this morning, regeneration sw, there is a section on the city, possibley becomming a chelsea, village-style, a complex springing up at the 11 acres site, already the concerts at the ground have reckoned to have put £4 million into the local economy and they already have planning permission since 1998 to expand to 30,000, which will be done in stages, (we know this much anyway) sexton said we hope to bring this to fruition, starting with the wedlocks 5,500-seat stand followed by a 13,000- seat of the granstand, he said work was suppose to start two years ago, but recent success on the pitch plus capacity crowds which makes development more financially viable, mr sexton said we are looking at fittig retail, residential and hotel facilities at the gate...

Well you seem to be ITK enough concerning these things.

Don't know if you'll care or anyone of any authority will read this but having visited Villa Park on several occasions over the last few years if we're not careful we'll be at risk of developing The New East End into what is their 80's built North Stand as opposed to their People's Stand; The Holte End.

I'd seriously wait for the re-development of The Williams before installing boxes. The coperate folk don't want to view the game from behind the goal, The People don't want them to have to either.

Later on boxes could also be whacked into The Atyeo if The Club take off proper, which, well.... :fingerscrossed: .

My fear is the executive influence on The Club will be too short sighted and in years to come people will look back on it with the same scorn that they do The Atyeo now.

just heard the info from someone I know personally who has a very good source, but doesn't post it himself, due to his source and the fact he doesn't want it getting back to him being the one with the big gob.

problem with the Williams developement is that it is first not so vital that the stand is improved (unlike the east end) the improvements with the Williams are still going to happen but it is going to be alot more expensive job to do it, £15m+ due to the fact they just building onto of what is already there.

at the moment they have Prem Seating in that stand, but if the stand was to be redevelopment then for a short period their would be no corporate facilities at the ground, whereas with sorting it in the East End first, there will be some corporate facilities in the meantime.

In fairness, I doubt too many of the corporate lot are serious football fans anyway and are just their for the prawn sandwiches and free booze, although the normal fan doesn't really like or what them at the ground unfortunatly football is at a standing now that to re-develop the ground it's vital that these facilites are included as the increased income they bring into the club is vital, it's a nesscary evil these days unfortunately.

The premier seating although not popular with most fans or full most weeks, is before long going to be turning a profit, although it cost alot to setup, within 3 seasons at current levels, it will have paid for itself and that's taking into consideration that most of the season it's been half empty.

as for the replacing the stands directly one for one, with the current east end although only can hold 5500, it can't actually hold that for football games due to police safety certs so it basically at the moment only a 3500 (ish) seater stand and even then alot of the views are terrible, if we can have a stand there that can actually hold 5500 safely (remember the 5500 is pre-corporate facilites) then it is going to be an improvement on what we currently have in terms of increasing the clubs income, BUT once that stand is built it we will be then in a position to build on top of it as and when required then having the 2 tier stand we all would like, but at the moment honestly don't need, the key work though is rebuilding the current structure from the base up as it is currently pretty much decaying and basically falling down!

as for the dolman and atyeo, due to current planning issues we can't physically develop on those stands any further all we can do is make improvements to them, such as the replacing of the seating and internal facilites.

It strikes me as really strange that planning restrictions would stop us rebuilding the dolman, surely there's a health and safety aspect to it? Just consider how long it takes to get out of the stand on a match day and then watch the video of the Valley Parade fire on youtube.

I know there's an issue with being able to get emergency vehicles behind it but surely that can be designed around particularly given the extra space at the front that could be used.

The gas are giving it a go by the look of their plans drawn up by Bryant and May!

Matt Bryant and Andy May? I wondered what they were doing these days? They were good at getting out of the box, renowned for their strikes, and helped us win lots of matches.

<Snort>

Archived