IGNORED

Top Manager's

PAPA650

Terry Coopers, Danny Wilson and Joe Jordan teams played more attractive football than John Ward team. Ward team had a very direct style and would get a couple of early goals and then sit on it.

Footballs all about opinions and we'll have to agree to disagree on this debate.

No-one's mentioned Bob Houghton!!!!!! :tomato:

Doesn't he get the accolade of best expense account manager?

No votes for Tony Fawthrop or Dave Burnside! Funnily enough, results under these two plus Leroy Rosenior were very good and the games were entertaining with plenty of slick attacking football and goals. The difficulty is discerning which one was responsible for the good form out of the three. Most would say Leroy but he hasn't exactly excelled with results elsewhere although his has been with clubs with limited resources. It would be interesting to see how well he would do with a club that was not struggling for survival.

I loved the approach Terry Cooper had and he had an eye for a good player. It's a pity the club didn't retain him in a scouting role. I posted that either Gary Johnson or Stephen Constantine (now manager of Malawi no less!) should get the job before Brian Tinnion was appointed so I have to put GJ near the top.

I think GJ has the potential to be the best ever and he is a winner. I doubt whether he will move on either as City suits him. If we go up he knows he is at a club with a decent chairman that has the potential to reach the premiership but he will also appreciate that there is no pressure or rush to get us there. Given the time the club has languished in league 1 supporters will be happy to consolidate. GJ also likes to spot bargains in the transfer market although he wouldn't get top marks in that department yet until he brings in a unknown free transfer Latvian or someone who will score 30 goals in the Championship next year! GJ gets the most out of his players as well.

John Ward gets high marks but pole position really has to go to Alan Dicks of course.

Another thread would be on potentially good managers for City who had connections to the club but were never recruited - David Moyes and Joe Royle would be two. Not sure I would put Steve McClaren in the frame despite his current elevated status.

Archived