IGNORED

Hugh Mcilmoyle

Redtucks

Did anyone else notice the statue of Hugh McIlmoyle on the way into Carlisles ground yesterday?

I can vaguely remember him scoring a superb header on his debut for us in 1967 after signing from Carlisle for what was then a record fee for us of £27,000.

I think he only played about 20 or so games for us before re-signing for Carlisle.

Whilst it was a long time ago, I can remember that I was highly impressed with his heading ability. He just seemed to hang in the air. Probably one of the best headers of the ball that I have seen.

Can anyone else remember him?

Did anyone else notice the statue of Hugh McIlmoyle on the way into Carlisles ground yesterday?

I can vaguely remember him scoring a superb header on his debut for us in 1967 after signing from Carlisle for what was then a record fee for us of £27,000.

I think he only played about 20 or so games for us before re-signing for Carlisle.

Whilst it was a long time ago, I can remember that I was highly impressed with his heading ability. He just seemed to hang in the air. Probably one of the best headers of the ball that I have seen.

Yes remember him well. As you say, a great header of the ball. I was speaking to a Carlisle supporter about him before the game. He told me that Hugh now lives in Leicester but still travels up to Carlisle for most home games.

35,00 if I remember correctly. A large fee in those days. First class in the air but never quite at his best for us on a regular basis. Didn't stay long cant recall who he went to (Could have been Wolves).

Signed from Wolves in March 1967 for £27,000

Sold to Carlisle in September 1967 for £22,000. Even then we were losing money on deals!

In between times, he played 20 league games and 1 League Cup game, scoring 4 goals in total. Scored on his debut at home to Hull City 4/3/67. Born in 1940 so he's 67 years old now.

35,00 if I remember correctly. A large fee in those days. First class in the air but never quite at his best for us on a regular basis. Didn't stay long cant recall who he went to (Could have been Wolves).

Just looked it up in "BCFC The First Hundred Years",

We actually signed him from Wolves in March 1967 for £27,000 (I thought it was Carlisle) and sold him to Carlisle in September 1967 for £22,000.

He played 21 games for us scoring 4 goals.

Edit: Sorry Rudolf, you beat me to it. It takes me longer to look things up these days!!!

I remember Hugh McIImoyle .....Top Man .a real favourite at AG in his day ............and it's a surprise that he only scored 4 as he always seemed so dominant in the air, soaring high above the defenders - time plays so many tricks with the memory !!!

He was the original journeyman playing for Port Glasgow, Leicester (played in the 1961 Cup final), Rotherham, Carlisle,Wolves,

Bristol City, Carlisle (again), Middlesborough, Preston, Morton (twice), and Carlisle (for the third time) and finally retired and ended up working as a warehouseman for Walkers Crisps........a far cry from the pampered players today!

Nice that he's remembered at Carlisle.

CodeRed

Did McIlmoyle score a hat trick for us, possibly on his debut in an away game? Seeing as he only scored 4 for us, it sound sunlikely, but it seems to ring a bell - but I might be mising him up with another player (Galley perhaps?). Are there any stato's out there who can confirm?

P.S. I agree that he was a great header of a ball.

Did McIlmoyle score a hat trick for us, possibly on his debut in an away game? Seeing as he only scored 4 for us, it sound sunlikely, but it seems to ring a bell - but I might be mising him up with another player (Galley perhaps?). Are there any stato's out there who can confirm?

P.S. I agree that he was a great header of a ball.

According to "The Bristol Babe" by David Woods, McIlmoyle scored on his debut against Hull then against Millwall. The following season, he scored against Huddersfield and QPR.

It was indeed John Galley who scored a hat trick on his debut away at Huddersfield. Now that man was a great striker. One of my all-time heroes.

According to "The Bristol Babe" by David Woods, McIlmoyle scored on his debut against Hull then against Millwall. The following season, he scored against Huddersfield and QPR.

It was indeed John Galley who scored a hat trick on his debut away at Huddersfield. Now that man was a great striker. One of my all-time heroes.

Thanks for the conformation Rudolf. Also agree with your opinion about John Galley - how we could have done with someone like him through this season!

In Peter Godsiff's "History of Bristol City" it states that Hugh McIllmoyle bore a resemblance to Beatle John Lennon. Anyone confirm this?

This is him in his Middlesbrough days (which was after his time at City) and in later years. I guess I can see a slight resemblence to Lennon (if I squint!).

hughmcilmoylevy1.jpg

hughmcilmoyle2pq5.jpg

hughmcilmoyle3pq2.jpg

Actually City signed Mac from Wolves, 27k was right..he was then sold to Carlisle for 22k.

Archived