IGNORED

Best And Worst

WessexPest

Well i used to live in Horfield for many years, pre Gas and after and have to say its a good area to live in. From a neutral perspective, you have 1 football team, 1 rugby team, 1 cricket team, sports centre and the brilliant Gloucester Rd. Good commuting to central areas and quick access to the motorway via Filton.

Ive since lived in Montpellier and St Pauls. Whilst St Pauls has its negatives about it, most of which are preconceptions, it shows a lot of promise for the future. The new shopping centre at Broadmead, merely 5 mins walk away, and also the securing of £300 million to redevelop part of the area. There is a strong community spirit there and in the most a positive attitude to improve the area.

I bought my flat there and its value has already increased by 25% in just 10 months, a sure sign that the area is up and coming once more if not just inline with the increasing rates of property.

For me, i plan to sell up in 2 or 3 more years time, at which id like to think people will be keen to move back into St Pauls and my property will be much sought after :fingerscrossed:

So St Pauls...don't dis it till you have tried it! :innocent06:

No, I live a stones throw away.

Been through there a few times, its a dump.

Read neither.

At first I just thought that you are very wide of the mark. But reading that you live nearby then you must just be a complete tit to think if you live in St Pauls you will get shot.

Absolute rubbish.

Well, I first popped into the world in Southmead Bristol and first resided in Bedminster then Totterdown - making those three Bristol districts THE BEST IMHO. :winner_third_h4h: As far as I'm concerned there are no 'worst' districts in Bristol.

Proud to be English, proud to be Bristolian. :englandflag:

Up the City

Suprised no one has said Southmead yet, usally one of the first places to get slagged. I love living here myself but then thats because I grew up here and don't know any different.

I grew up in Southmead in the 1940's _1960's. In Pen Park rd we had fields, sheep and plenty of open country behind the one row of houses along the road. At the top of Pen Park rd we had WW2 allotments where we could grow extra vegetables to help supplement our war rationed food supply. On the fringes of Filton golf course was an orchard which we raided with great frequency. I ended up with a paper run, gardens were tidy, there was no trouble until the late 50's when Teddy boys arrived. More building developments filled in our open fields, including the orchard, and football pitches. Now the old area, once open and rural, is overbuilt, subdivided and less desireable.

As a matter of interest my old street gang from the 1940-50's, now live in Wootten Bassett, Yate, Chipping Norton, Westbury-On-Trym and Henbury. I am still the only City supporter.

The BEST. Avonmouth Village, soon to be the St Tropez of the West Country, once the marina is built!!, :sun:

The WORST .......... there are some crap areas, but nothing that bad!!, :rain:(unlike Nottingham!!).

Avonmouth :laugh: ? the little warsaw of bristol , more polish then anything . but i like it haha !

The best areas of Bristol I would say are probably Sneyd Park and Clifton Village

As for the worst I would have to say Easton is pretty bad. If you are white and you go in to a shop on Stapleton road you will usually be asked where you're from or who you know and i know this because my friend used to live just off Stapleton rd because most of the youth down there get protective over their patch.

St pauls isn't what it used to be but you are still likely to get offered whites or brown if you are walking around near tasties.

The best areas of Bristol I would say are probably Sneyd Park and Clifton Village

As for the worst I would have to say Easton is pretty bad. If you are white and you go in to a shop on Stapleton road you will usually be asked where you're from or who you know and i know this because my friend used to live just off Stapleton rd because most of the youth down there get protective over their patch.

St pauls isn't what it used to be but you are still likely to get offered whites or brown if you are walking around near tasties.

Worst is without doubt lawrence weston

I guess it all depends on what you want from your neighbourhood and community. It you want people to ignore you...try places like Clifton, Westbury Park, Sneyd Park, Frenchay, Bradley Stoke, Whitchurch etc. If you want vibrant communities with a mix of people, try places like Totterdown, Southville, Redland, Montpellier, Easton, St. Pauls. If you want boring people living boring lives, try places like Fishponds, Bishopsworth, Stockwood, Horfield, Filton, Patchway, Brislington, Staple Hill, Kingswood etc. Now if you want people to talk to you, treat you as one of their own, help you and lend to you, you need to try places like Hartcliffe, Knowle, Southmead, Bedminster, Henbury, Lawrence Weston etc.

There is good and bad in all areas.....a drug user in Stapleton Road probably feeds off of a dealer living in Frenchay, whilst a car owner in Clifton will have their car stolen by someone from Bedminster. A young lad from Patchway will probably get beaten up by another lad from Knowle in town on a Saturday night, whilst a young girl from Sneyd Park will get knocked over by an uninsured driver from Brislington. A young mum in Hartcliffe commits £3,000 benefit fraud to feed her kids whilst the company director from Westbury Park commits £30,000 VAT fraud to pay for his golfing holiday down under.

Just remember, that when you collapse in the street in the middle of town, and you are scared, and alone.....someone from somewhere will rush to help you.....no matter which part of Bristol they live in.

Archived