IGNORED

Top Beer

Eddie Hitler

There have been too many deep discussions on here so it needs lightening.

As lager is a drink for children and much as I like cider I can't drink it without a stinking hangover the next day, I drink beer me. Put down your favourites in any formats you like, here are mine:

Draught: Pretty much anything by Fullers, ESB and London Pride probably best.

Bottle Conditioned: Exmoor Gold, wheat beer but darker than most

Tinned: Surprisingly Hatherwood from LIDL. Superb and ridiculously cheap - £2.20 for four :cool:

And I don't like:

The other great London brewer Youngs, and i have tried to like it many times.

Any beer with a widget or pasteurised. John Smiths, Tetley etc. etc. They seem to have had all flavour surgically removed and tend to give me stomach ache.

Random snippets:

Beer was probably a major driver for the switch from the hunter-gatherer to the farming way of life so could be said to be the beginning of civilisation.

The word Barn comes from barley - primarily used for brewing and showing its importance.

Hops were a fairly late addition and used initially so the beer would keep. Prior to this individual brews would be made and advertised by a bough outside the house and everybody would come there to buy it and consume it.

Whilst I am a fan of real ale, I've always felt you're risking your stomach if the landlord doesn't know how to keep the stuff properly. Therefore rather than championing a brand I'll instead nominate three pubs where I know I'll get a quality pint.

1 - Crown & Horseshoe, Oldland. A previous local of mine that served 2/3 real ales and always delived a good 'Gem' by Bath Ales.

2 - Red Lion, Staple Lion. My new favourite pub. A proper drinking culture exists and any chavvy nomarks are quickly shown the door. They've recently been recommended in the local CAMRA magazine and the Wadworths 6X is excellent.

3 - Reckless Engineer, Temple Meads. A bit of an odd choice but I went there to see a gig and much to my surprise found a top notch selection of beers and ciders. I don't know if they change their ales around but recently they were serving a good pint of 'Otter'.

Narrowly missing the final three were the White Lion on Colston have and The Ram (A Youngs pub I'm afraid) on Park Street.

For canned beer you're right that Hatherwood is excellent. Similarly so is ALDI's Shipstones.

A well kept pint of Courage best is always nice as is London Pride which is my personal favourite. I like Wadworth 6x as well.

As for a thirst quenching pint on a hot day - strongbow cider - nothing hits the spot quite like it.

Good call on 6X, like Pride tastes a lot stronger than it is. Not convinced about Courage but will try again.

I will be looking out for ALDI's Shipstones, KNR.

Got it, Tribute

Roger Protz, Editor Good Beer Guide, recently reviewed Tribute. "Tribute is a magnificent example of a bronze coloured English bitter, with a rich aroma of biscuity malt and tart citrus fruit from the Wilamett hops. Juicy malt, hop resins and tangy fruit coat the tongue, while the finish is long and lingering, with a fine balance between malt, hops and fruit, finally becoming dry and bitter".

The Brewing Research Institute (BRI) describe Tribute as possessing these Key Flavour notes:

* Floral, scented and orange, citrus hop

* Tropical and summer fruits

* Toffee malt

Clean bitter finish

* Well balanced and complex

Like a pint of Cotleigh myself

Barn owl or Buzzard

6x very nice

also Bass but has to be kept very good

Don't know the first two but will look out for them. Never had a good pint of Bass but according to the bloke I asked in LIDL their Hatherwood that I like is brewed by Bass.

Tribute & Doom Bar (a sand bar at the mouth of the Camel - up from Padstow) are my local beers, I probably don't appreciate them as much as I should as a consequence. But do drink a lot of them!

Archived