IGNORED

Bristol Rovers Fans Terrorise Horfield!

City Rocker

Just to point out, first of all I've been going to City since the mid 70's. Although I've never personally been involved in football hooliganism, I've witnessed, been in the middle of, and on the receiving end of, countless violent incidents both inside and outside football grounds over the years, mostly in the 1980's. In short, I'm not remotely squeamish or judgmental about football violence.

Now this evening, while sitting in my local, the Tinto Lounge on Gloucester Road, I observed what has to be among the biggest football-related incidents I personally have ever seen. Dozens of Bristol Rovers fans in running battles with the old bill. As far as I know, no Lincoln fans were involved, although I obviously don't know this for sure.

Gloucester Road was closed completely to traffic for what must have been 45 minutes to an hour. I'd have to say the scenes reminded me of the tv pictures I watched as a youngster of the St Pauls Riots of 1980 and the miners' strike of 1984. A line of riot police, shields up and trungeons drawn, walked en masse down the Gloucester Road, blocking the entire width of the street, forcing back the Rovers fans while they threw glasses back at them. When I later walked back up Gloucester Road the tarmac outside the John Cabot pub was like a carpet of broken glass.

My only thought at this stage is this...will the Evening Post report this incident?

Every City fan knows that whilst we've had a reputation in the distant past, over the last ten years our hooligan problem has shrunk pretty much to nothing, the odd isolated incident aside. At the same time, Bristol Rovers have developed a pretty notorious hooligan element in their ranks, with numerous serious incidents documented by the police football intelligence unit in recent years. Rovers fans know this, City fans know this...and yet the Evening Post continues to refer to them as a 'Family Club'.

Last week the Evening Post even reported that Rovers' game against Swindon had been trouble-free, despite the fact that there had been an horrendous attack by baseball bat-wielding Rovers thugs on innocent Swindon fans before the game.

I await with interest Mondays Evening Post.

Just to point out, first of all I've been going to City since the mid 70's. Although I've never personally been involved in football hooliganism, I've witnessed, been in the middle of, and on the receiving end of, countless violent incidents both inside and outside football grounds over the years, mostly in the 1980's. In short, I'm not remotely squeamish or judgmental about football violence.

Now this evening, while sitting in my local, the Tinto Lounge on Gloucester Road, I observed what has to be among the biggest football-related incidents I personally have ever seen. Dozens of Bristol Rovers fans in running battles with the old bill. As far as I know, no Lincoln fans were involved, although I obviously don't know this for sure.

Gloucester Road was closed completely to traffic for what must have been 45 minutes to an hour. I'd have to say the scenes reminded me of the tv pictures I watched as a youngster of the St Pauls Riots of 1980 and the miners' strike of 1984. A line of riot police, shields up and trungeons drawn, walked en masse down the Gloucester Road, blocking the entire width of the street, forcing back the Rovers fans while they threw glasses back at them. When I later walked back up Gloucester Road the tarmac outside the John Cabot pub was like a carpet of broken glass.

My only thought at this stage is this...will the Evening Post report this incident?

Every City fan knows that whilst we've had a reputation in the distant past, over the last ten years our hooligan problem has shrunk pretty much to nothing, the odd isolated incident aside. At the same time, Bristol Rovers have developed a pretty notorious hooligan element in their ranks, with numerous serious incidents documented by the police football intelligence unit in recent years. Rovers fans know this, City fans know this...and yet the Evening Post continues to refer to them as a 'Family Club'.

Last week the Evening Post even reported that Rovers' game against Swindon had been trouble-free, despite the fact that there had been an horrendous attack by baseball bat-wielding Rovers thugs on innocent Swindon fans before the game.

Sounds like the Blue Few are becoming more than a nuisance. As you were witness to this is there any merit in making sure that HTV and/or the local Beeb are aware of it for their local news?

personally I'm not interested in this kinda thing in the slightest if idiots want to fight each other, as long as they keep away from the normal football fans that fine, however I must totally agree that the lack of newspaper reports in Bristol is very strange

a friend of mine works at the Inn on the Green (or whatever it's called) and apparently the management up their are fuming that nothing was reported in the Bristol media about the events and for next season considering a ban on football fans on match days

how can these events not make the local media, yet the Bradley Orr non incident made front page news? even when the police CS gas'd some old lady at the derby at the mem, it only made page 3 on a saturday and was basically swept under the carpet by the EP

makes no sense at all

personally I'm not interested in this kinda thing in the slightest if idiots want to fight each other, as long as they keep away from the normal football fans that fine,

By the sound of what's been said, they didn't.If the Police treated them as per our fans at The Mem then that may have provoked as opposed to have quelled the disturbance.

however I must totally agree that the lack of newspaper reports in Bristol is very strange

a friend of mine works at the Inn on the Green (or whatever it's called) and apparently the management up their are fuming that nothing was reported in the Bristol media about the events and for next season considering a ban on football fans on match days

how can these events not make the local media, yet the Bradley Orr non incident made front page news? even when the police CS gas'd some old lady at the derby at the mem, it only made page 3 on a saturday and was basically swept under the carpet by the EP

makes no sense at all

Well said.

I don't mind them being poor-Biase is another thing all together

personally I'm not interested in this kinda thing in the slightest if idiots want to fight each other, as long as they keep away from the normal football fans that fine, however I must totally agree that the lack of newspaper reports in Bristol is very strange

makes no sense at all

The unwritten rule of not attacking scarfers etc. seems to have been ripped up by these blue thugs. There is clearly a group (before other gasheads rush to defend their club I would say 20 out of 5,000) who see any opposition fans as fair game. Here's hoping they get a hiding, preferably by some real hooligans of their own stripe.

i see what you mean about gas heads, i know a couple and they are realy nice guys i take the piss out of there club and they to mine but neer batter a eyelid.

But when i was sitting in one of my local pubs bit of a mix of city fans and gas, some bloke was sayin ######ing S**t head arnt going nowhere theres only one team in bristol and thats rovers, i realy wanted to say to him no were not going anywhere because were alredy there!. but thought no worth it as he had one drink many.

the pub don't show skysports and he didnt like it, so he started shouting at the bar staff (who suport the gas) and then leaves.

all the rovers fans looked in discuss and said there was no nead for that.

don't know if you found that intresting but hey ho

I went to the rovers game and although i didn't see anything there was a bloke near me in the ground who was going on about how it 'kicked off' before the game and everyone started saying how it must have been city fas. Its sad how every time there is violence City get the blame.

• Admin

That sounds disgraceful.

Can't the City fans in Bristol just be happy with already being promoted rather than going to the Glos Road on matchday masquerading as Gas and causing trouble.

Don't worry, the investigative reporters at our Evening Post will get to the bottom of all this and ensure all the blame is pointed in the right direction. BS3.

However, should no evidence of this be forthcoming I trust they will deem this as not newsworthy and publish another informative article rehashing the events surrounding Bristol City's jailed footballers.

evidently there 'family club' title means there a family of blatent yobbos who think there tyson.

the old fashioned hooligan i got a sad bit of respect for, they arranged fights with there counterparts usually out of the way of proper fans, not that i condone it. when you consider the likes of todays so called 'hooligans' (the prepubesent ones who wear burberry hats and hoodys, and heads bob side to side when they walk) who take advantage of anyone waring colors and scarves apalls me. now what would of happened if one of them swindon fans had his/her youngster with them that day?

going back to the evening post, there just likely to twist it round to the likes of 'friendly banter'.

rant over

These juveniles who seek attention, revel in any media coverage they can achieve. By bellyaching with "they are sooooo bad" type posts, you give them the publicity and attention they seek. The Post, and whatever it concieves to be newsworthy, is at best a sideshow of a decent newspaper. Fans in the real world know what goes on, and the majority are good sports.

The hooligan element can be fixed for under 5k in 14 days, however we have to rely on the local police. All information should be forwarded as quickly as possible. A new way to use your youtube to advantage .

Got text from copper friend of mine last night saying:

"Some good news on sad day for sport our cells full of gas heads"

Was out for dinner last night and people were saying about how no trouble at swindon/gas game because of extra money charged = more police presence. Said they'd read it in Evening Post. I soon put them right about the baseball bats/Inn on Green incident and how it was reported in the Swindon paper but not the Gas-biased Evil Post.

Will see what Monday's paper says about the family club this time

The bubble will burst for the Evil Post fairly soon as these Gas scumbags trying to make some kind of name for themselves will eventually cause some serious trouble which will simply have to be reported. Then we may see further protests from Horfield residents about increasing the capacity of the ground.

don't be silly, A Family Club doing this?

It must of been some city lads on a day out. (Cue Evening post saying it was)

:10_1_108:

I still remember a few years ago when the western daily press had a front page article saying that football hooligans had now gone to horse racing to fight.

This was front page news all because a city fan was invovled, he was wearing a city shirt so must of been in the frontline of hooligan activity when he isnt watching the horses run around.

Guest mesa boogie
The bubble will burst for the Evil Post fairly soon as these Gas scumbags trying to make some kind of name for themselves will eventually cause some serious trouble which will simply have to be reported. Then we may see further protests from Horfield residents about increasing the capacity of the ground.

Hey, we don't all feel the need to act like spineless shitbags.

Guest mesa boogie
Seems to me that the very least that should happen is that a link to this incident should be posted on the ST & CT forums. If nothing else it will reinforce the concerns that these clubs may have in considering ground sharing with the family club.

Go for it. Do you really think that these numbnuts are going to bother to go to Swindon or Cheltenham every other week when they can't even drag themselves 100 yards down the road to watch the match?

Go for it. Do you really think that these numbnuts are going to bother to go to Swindon or Cheltenham every other week when they can't even drag themselves 100 yards down the road to watch the match?

I've no idea whether they are capable of travel. But they are obviously a problem, and one which your club, instead of ignoring/denying should acknowledge and unreservedly condem. It might do you some good in the quest for a temporary home, and also alienate and hopefully discourage your "numbnuts" from similar acts of violence, before someone gets seriously injured.

You may find that these numbnuts do travel, after all, they can then pick fights with a few locals as well as opposition fans. It will be interesting to see if the Police and Courts take the trouble seriously, as they undoubtedly would had it been in BS3.

that's the problem, it keeps getting swept under the table and ignored and therefore it is allowed to grow and grow until someone gets seriously hurt, be interesting next season if the Gas do go up and they have to play Swansea, Millwall, Forest and Leeds - whats that Kasier chief song? I predict a riot?

Thing is with City, although we do have our trouble maker and events do happen away from home, how often is their trouble in or around the ground at home games? I can't think of anything for years, City have ackwoledged the problems and tried their best to stomp it out over the years,

Rovers..........they just seem to be desperate for all the fans they can get, regardless of their behaviour

The unwritten rule of not attacking scarfers etc. seems to have been ripped up by these blue thugs. There is clearly a group (before other gasheads rush to defend their club I would say 20 out of 5,000) who see any opposition fans as fair game. Here's hoping they get a hiding, preferably by some real hooligans of their own stripe.

heres hoping i quite easily join in if we got rid of them . it pisses me off that rovers name gets tarnished by these ######### everytime !!!!!

Oh Dear

Your name doesnt get tarnished though, Bristol rovers is still considered a "family club" where as at city were a bunch of hooligans intent on causing trouble at every time possible.

Within the space of a month, some rovers fans have attacked a pub with normal swindon fans in and yesterday attacked the police and normal lincoln fans.

But i don't see why your worring, your name wont be tarnished in anyway. Even though there has been two big incidents the past month the evening post wont report it. So you have no need to worry.

heres hoping i quite easily join in if we got rid of them . it pisses me off that rovers name gets tarnished by these ######### everytime !!!!!

Listen cocker.

As soon as any little incident happens with City fans its highlighted by the evil post.

Your little goodie too shoes fans have been a pain in the f##### arse this season with numerous happenings up near the mem and away from home.

And apart from the Swindon game, its never metioned by our local paper.

So hopefully you understand City fans feelings.

Maybe another crusade is in order.

Email comments to paper ;

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode...command=newPage

or directly to a "journalist" ;

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/displayNode...command=newPage

They can't ignore a load of emails complaining of this latest example....they didn't last time.

Nice one Cynic.

Will make that my priority in work on mon....Arn

Archived