IGNORED

Cureton

redsince82

I would be utterly amazed if there is any truth in this!

Decent player but can anyone remember his last visit to the Gate? He took abuse like nobody I can remember. Ther e were allegations of a certain 'liason' at the time. I cannot believe he would ever want to play for us!

Decent player though!

by all accounts, talks are scheduled for this week..... views please

I'm sure this is b***ocks but most city fans would welcome the championships top scorer with open arms.. If we get cureton - we can score 20 goals next season which would probably keep us up...

he's got to be worth 1.5 m to colchester surely.

unlikely,

he's said end of last week, he has a year left on his contract and is off on holiday for a fortnight, he feels he's playing the best football of his career and doesn't want to move,

chairman is apparently discussing a new contract for him when he returns

So......No

I'm sure this is b***ocks but most city fans would welcome the championships top scorer with open arms.. If we get cureton - we can score 20 goals next season which would probably keep us up...

he's got to be worth 1.5 m to colchester surely.

If he was in League 1 and available on a free then yes, would be good. That valuation though looks right to me, and I can't see us paying it.

unlikely,

he's said end of last week, he has a year left on his contract and is off on holiday for a fortnight, he feels he's playing the best football of his career and doesn't want to move,

chairman is apparently discussing a new contract for him when he returns

So......No

Spot on. He even went on record last week to request that Colchester hang on to Iwelumo, who is out of contract, so they can maintain their excellent partnership.

Actually, purchasing strikers with a combined total of 41 League goals last season is a very sensible suggestion.

I know i was being serious. If Iwelumo is out of contract then he woulnt cost anything. And £1.5million for Cureton (well, technically the pair) who has scored 41 goals in the 2nd tier in english football is a bargain!

I know i was being serious. If Iwelumo is out of contract then he woulnt cost anything. And £1.5million for Cureton (well, technically the pair) who has scored 41 goals in the 2nd tier in english football is a bargain!

You're right Chris, they would be a bargain. But do they pass the 'Johnson test'?

In what respects? Himself and SL have said we need goalscorers. 41 goals between them isnt bad.

Age, perceived workrate, attitude etc. He's a stickler for conformists, which was the principal reason for our fantastic squad effort last season, which could be titled: Against All Odds.

In short, would Johnson feel they'd "fit".

This isn't even a discussion.

There is no way on gods green earth that a player who has been on the end of the abuse that he has had, will sign for us.

I was in the Williams Stand when he was at the gate last and to be honest, it was embarrassing.

He's just had one of the best seasons of his career and still under contract.

He's going nowhere.

don't forget he turned us down once before, chose the Korean option (money)

His agent tried to sniff around us when it didnt work out but we turned him down then and he went to colchester.

Not sure if Johnson would go for a player who has turned the club down in the past?

Down to me though........exactly the sort of striker we need

don't forget he turned us down once before, chose the Korean option (money)

His agent tried to sniff around us when it didnt work out but we turned him down then and he went to colchester.

Not sure if Johnson would go for a player who has turned the club down in the past?

Down to me though........exactly the sort of striker we need

Didn't he go to QPR after that? Then Swindon? Did sod all with Thorpe, and then Colchester took him?????? Sorry if lm wrong

We're not signing Cureton and he isn't going to be worth £1.5m of anyone's money at 31 either. He's not leaving Colchester.

Iwelumo I guess is possible because he's a Bosman and GJ likes his big strong strikers but to be perfectly honest I am amazed he scored that many last season and have my doubts about whether he will repeat it. I must have seen him play dozens of times and never been impressed, his record throughout his whole career is poor as is his availability and I'd put last season down to his "one good year" just like Constantine at Port Vale.

There are far better options than both of them out there.

We're not signing Cureton and he isn't going to be worth £1.5m of anyone's money at 31 either. He's not leaving Colchester.

Iwelumo I guess is possible because he's a Bosman and GJ likes his big strong strikers but to be perfectly honest I am amazed he scored that many last season and have my doubts about whether he will repeat it. I must have seen him play dozens of times and never been impressed, his record throughout his whole career is poor as is his availability and I'd put last season down to his "one good year" just like Constantine at Port Vale.

There are far better options than both of them out there.

100% Spot on sir!

I cant believe we are talking about signing Cureton or Iwelumo.

Both have just had 'one of those seasons'. I will be amazed if either do it next season.

-Neither are what we want.

Guest Topman
Why not get em both then? Would only have to pay for Cureton.

Would be excellent signings - you only have to look at their pedigree EX BRFC !!!!

I very much doubt that Cureton is in for talks, for the reasons mentioned previously (contract status, settled, ex Gas, and the abuse he has received in the past).

Personally though I will say what I said when we were supposedly close to getting him last time - I'd welcome him with open arms. I couldn't give a damn if a striker (or any other player for that matter) was ex gas, as long as they're good enough it shouldn't matter. Let's not forget that Rovers have a habit of finding strikers that go on to play at/near the top of the football ladder (Hayles, Cureton, Roberts, Stewart, even Sinclair who now plays for Chelsea).

My girlfriends brother has seen him play a few times last season (she's from Colchester) as he goes every now and then, and he doesn't have a bad word against him.

As mentioned before, he finished as the Championships highest goalscorer - sorry but there is no way that that is a "fluke season"

Like I said before, the chances of this actually being true are very slim.

Illeuwmo could be an option though, although that could well have been a "one-off".

by all accounts, talks are scheduled for this week..... views please

I too would like to know the origin of this story. There has always been this strange thing going on between him and a section of Bristol City fans, though Jamie Cureton has the odd distinction of NEVER having scored against the City...long may that continue if this thread is bunkum.

At 32 years of age he certainly won't have a big price tag. Lets wait and see.

Archived