IGNORED

This Price Increase? Fair Or Kick In The Teeth To The Loyal Fans?

Andy082005

When you compare our prices to those of Sunderland, who will be playing Chelsea, Man U etc, then our prices seem very high!

http://www.safc.com/tickets/?page_id=12176

Its certainly priced me out of getting a season ticket :(

EDIT; Just been checking other Premier League clubs and it looks like we are getting well and truley shafted!

Check this out - http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Seaso...,,10265,00.html

Thanks SL :(

its never been a secret that our season ticket prices have always been way over the top and i do think the increase this season is harsh. should be some sort of loyalty thing for those of us who have paid over the top prices for the last 8 years!

still intend on getting one though

It's stupid though.

They will sell less tickets than they otherwise would have if they'd gone for 15 or 20%, so overall I can't imagine that the club will make a huge amount more.

Now, you're right - I will be expecting us to be able to compete with these clubs and finish in the top half.

I will be expecting several QUALITY signings not more bargain bucket stuff.

I'm also still bemused as to why I, who paid for my ticket for years whilst we were in the third division, pay the same price as Billy big game who turned up to Boro and Forest last season and will finally buy a season ticket just because we got promoted.

There should have been an early bird scheme at the VERY least.

Absolutely right, and lets forget those other supporters will be paying less to watch games in better stadia,with our beloved AG going to look pretty shabby despite new Dolman chairs, compared to 80+% of other Championship grounds.

I expected to pay £300-£320 with my early bird allowance to sit in the Atyeo next seaon, and believe a £100 increase is excessive.

Everytime we have a little boost, as supporters, the club seem to try and deflate us.

Yes I will pay my £375, I couldn't just walk away, but I am expecting to be rewarded with quality signings real ground improvements, better catering and perhaps SL could match our loyalty by investing just 3.6% of his windfall, call it £9m, between friends!!!!!!!!!

It really is extraordinary. I don't think anyone could have predicted this sharp a rise, and not announced until three weeks after the promotion party had subsided. Commercially it seems a bit suicidal, a more modest increase and start selling a few days after the Rotherham game and they could probably have filled the ground for all of next season in no time at all.

Trouble with loyal fans is they're loyal, so like it or not this really won't change many of our plans, certainly not mine. What I would say however is speak up for the more casual supporter and the type of people who should by rights now be joining the fold and becoming City fans. The matchday prices are unbelievable enough to dissuade any floating fans out there.

I fail to see how we hope to use this stepping stone to lure new fans with pie in the sky entry prices. £28 for the cheapest Dolman ticket? Part-timers with one eye on the Premiership (who as we all know are ten-a-penny in Bristol) will just laugh at that. Not that they ever do, but they could watch their heroes in the flesh for a few more quid, why ever come to City?

These prices threaten to be a tremendous own-goal unless the football on the pitch and quality of signings can justify it. Who are we signing, Thierry Henry? I think a reality check is in order - great end to the season, fantastic outcome, but bloody hell, we weren't playing £28-a-pop football for most of last season, what can we expect to change? Slightly stunned.

There should have been an early bird scheme at the VERY least.

This my biggest problem, exsisting holders should of got at least a 10% reduction as reward for there loyalty.

It seems to me the club know they've got people over a barrel as many will begrugdingly pay-up to watch Championship footy rather than miss out.

There again the days where football and loyalty went hand in hand have long gone, We're all mugs anf the club knows it!!

Yes youve managed to find some of the cheaper ones......what about the rest?

Burnley £378 - £462

Coventry £344 - £460

Hull £380 - £420

ipswich £437 - £794

Norwich £415 - £538

leicester £358 - £522

plymouth £418 other than standing in the mayflower which is cheaper.

sheff wed £383 - £538

But the prices you have quoted ignore the early bird discounts so existing season ticket holders at these clubs had the option of getting their tickets cheaper. I realise these had to be purchased by now but at least they had the option of cheaper seats. It means we will be paying more than most of the season ticket holders at these clubs.

Early bird prices for these clubs are :

Burnley £315-£396

Coventry £277-£390

Hull £295-£400

Ipswich no information

Norwich £356-£415

Leicester £322-£450

Sheff Wed £326-£457

I think most people are upset that there is no discount for our existing season ticket holders. Also most of these clubs have better grounds and facilities than us.

I think most people are upset that there is no discount for our existing season ticket holders. Also most of these clubs have better grounds and facilities than us.

Yes if you read through the thread you'll see that I agree with this and if I was an existing ticket holder, I wouldnt be happy.

But the prices you have quoted ignore the early bird discounts so existing season ticket holders at these clubs had the option of getting their tickets cheaper. I realise these had to be purchased by now but at least they had the option of cheaper seats. It means we will be paying more than most of the season ticket holders at these clubs.

Early bird prices for these clubs are :

Burnley £315-£396

Coventry £277-£390

Hull £295-£400

Ipswich no information

Norwich £356-£415

Leicester £322-£450

Sheff Wed £326-£457

I think your right, our facilitys are shocking compared to some of the grounds above not to mention the majority are estbablished Champ clubs.

They have not taken this kind of detail into there decision making whilst fleecing their loyal fans.

I quite frankly would pay any increase. Its not a loyalty issue here I believe its a steppin stone to becoming an established Championship side whether it be with the players or the Stadium

Ive been putting £50 a month away to cover my ST and any away games I wanted to go to. May have to start putting by £75 now though

Have to say I agree with the general view that these prices are somewhat taking the p##s.

Nobody's mentioned this as such but surely there must have been a significant amount of revenue gained from winning promotion anyway - as why bother?

Secondly, don't the board realise that one of the most important things for a club is to have good attendance at the home games. I would have automatically assumed that attendance would increase by 20-30% next season alone , so there's already some increase in revenue - therefore why hike up the prices so much and discourage people from going to games - especially families.

I thought this was a family club??

we put away 10.00 a week and if we have any extras come in , like selling something or

a cheque has arrived , then we add that to the savings. you don't miss it, as you get

used to not having it.we all knew there would be a price increase and if we do well

in the championship then it is well worth it.think about people paying out for the prem.

we will be getting ours soon and then start saving up again.

Have to say I agree with the general view that these prices are somewhat taking the p##s.

Nobody's mentioned this as such but surely there must have been a significant amount of revenue gained from winning promotion anyway - as why bother?

Secondly, don't the board realise that one of the most important things for a club is to have good attendance at the home games. I would have automatically assumed that attendance would increase by 20-30% next season alone , so there's already some increase in revenue - therefore why hike up the prices so much and discourage people from going to games - especially families.

I thought this was a family club??

Another good post.

Money from TV rights is a lot higher.

As for next seasons attendences....Ill stick my neck out now and say they will suffer massively. As stated before, I knew there would be an increase, of course there would. I would have been happy with an increase from my £270 to say, £330.

Where next season I feel we could have been attracting crowds of 15,000+ per game, I'm betting that the crowds will struggle to top 14,000 most weeks, even less for games against teams like Colchester and S****horpe!

If we have a hard season and find ourselves in the bottom 8, the crowds could drop even more!

Another good post.

Money from TV rights is a lot higher.

As for next seasons attendences....Ill stick my neck out now and say they will suffer massively. As stated before, I knew there would be an increase, of course there would. I would have been happy with an increase from my £270 to say, £330.

Where next season I feel we could have been attracting crowds of 15,000+ per game, I'm betting that the crowds will struggle to top 14,000 most weeks, even less for games against teams like Colchester and S****horpe!

If we have a hard season and find ourselves in the bottom 8, the crowds could drop even more!

I agree. I have already spoken to people who POTD and they have said that won't go as much on principle due to a 40% increase and will pick and chose their games on the basis of who we are playing and how we are doing.

I agree. I have already spoken to people who POTD and they have said that won't go as much on principle due to a 40% increase and will pick and chose their games on the basis of who we are playing and how we are doing.

Same here, a few of my friends who missed only a hatful of games last season but cant afford the out right payment of a season ticket, have already said to me they doubt they will be going to much next year, which is a real shame

Also, an older chap I work with, used to go all the time, home and away up until about 10 years ago. He stopped going for money/work reasons, but had said to me next season he really wanted to start going again........not anymore!

Yes he may be a part-time fan in recent years.....but my dad used to be. Now he has had a season ticket for the last 12 years!!

How are we meant to attract new fans and bring back the older ones, when a lot of people cant afford it

Have to say not happy about the increase in cost for s t and agree with most about the fact there is no policy for loyal s t holders who have had to endure painfull football at times during the last few years, surely there is still time for the club to bring out a reduction for us regulars.

Strangley enough asked the boss for a 30% wage increase, he told me where to go :no:. Spose will have to find funds from elsewhere

Next year you can watch prem football at Birmingham for £361 - and I can renew my ticket in the league they've left for £375. Hmmm...

And it's twenty percent cheaper still at Brum if you bought a ST last year as a reward for having supported them in a lower league (hint hint)...

But then Steve L is a very rich man and people don't get to be very rich by selling things cheaply....

These prices threaten to be a tremendous own-goal unless the football on the pitch and quality of signings can justify it. Who are we signing, Thierry Henry? I think a reality check is in order - great end to the season, fantastic outcome, but bloody hell, we weren't playing £28-a-pop football for most of last season, what can we expect to change? Slightly stunned.

You couldn't pay Thierry Henry's salary on those season ticket prices !!

After reading everyones replies I think this situation can be summed up: you can watch Premiership clubs for cheaper! Just shows how expensive things are!

The fact also that some peoples season tickets in the Dolman have risen from £230 to £450 is ridiculous.

I simply cannot afford to pay that, or £350 odd to sit anywhere else. I'm just going to have to pick what games I choose now as it will cut a big chunk out of my pocket.

I think I speak for a lot of people in this fact. These price rises are a kick in the teeth for true loyal fans, who have been loyal supporters for years yet have been offered no rewards/discounts etc. I appreciate prices had to go up but this is ridiculous!

Seems indicative of the 'Rip Off Britain' that we all seem to have gotten used to with gritted teeth & resigned ourselves to accepting. Transport, Housing, Utilities, Holidays, Beer/Tobacco etc etc.. the list goes on.

Football in this country seems to have embraced this culture more than most (generally -not just City) it seems that clubs have to 'go with the flow' like it or not, - we need a culture change before it all goes too far and football 'eats itself'.

Heard stories about football costs in the rest of Europe being amazingly good value when compared to ours (I'm sure some of you have some good examples to relate from personal experience?...) - if true, how come they can do it & we cant?.(not forgetting that their 'star' players are also on huge wages too.)

How long, like holiday-makers who have deserted Britain for better value abroad, will it be before football fans do the same? (course we wont do that, out of loyalty/tradition cos we love our local teams, therefore the clubs know they've got us by the short 'n curllies) that said though, how many glory hunters bugger off to Manchester & the like each week?

Football in this country could do with a few brave chairmen/moneymen following the example of the Cohen brothers, who people thought were crazy, when they started to 'Stack Em High - Sell Em Cheap' - and look where Tesco's are today!.

How many empty shelves or wasted floorspace would you find in one of their stores?... if they were running football clubs how many vacant seats in half empty stands would they allow to stay unsold for long? - they would make sure they got as many customers 'through the doors' as possible, & make up the difference in extra programme sells, catering sells, shirt & scarf sells etc etc...

Talking of catering, same principle, stack it high-sell it cheap... why not?

Why charge a fortune for a cup of tea, burger, coke etc.. (stuff that cost pennies, but are sold for £££'ss).. to a few hundred (ripped off) people when, if the price was reasonable, thousands (of happy, non ripped off) customers would be buying.

Up & Down the Country today football fans are feeling used, abused, ripped-off (only a few lucky clubs are riding on the crest of a promotion wave) many genuine long term fans are being priced out and tearfully forced to walk away, only to be replaced by wealthier fans who can afford it. Clubs may be thinking thats life, life goes on etc .. BUT these new found (fair-weather) fans lack emotional traditional attachments to clubs and may well disappear just as quickly as they appear when the next novelty attraction 'takes their fancy'.

People will always endeavour to 'pay the price' - but the straws are mounting on the camels backs, (especially for families) theres a limit to what they can do, how many loans they can take out etc... these are the bread & butter of local football clubs the ones that are there through the thick AND the thin times... the past, present & future.

Theres a place & need for the Prawn Sandwich & Champagne Brigade within football, but the football industry shouldnt get carried away with the fickle money -the Bread & Butter/Burger & Coke Fans NEED to feel valued and 'part of it' too, clubs PR with fans should be improved beyond just a smile & wave to the crowd from the manager.

Many 'THANKYOU' messages have been posted (quite rightly) by fans around the East End situation, thats because many many fans could hardly believe that the Club actually listened to the fans for once.. small gestures like that go a long way towards endearing fans, - & shows how hungry & willing fans are to lap up whatever crumbs their Clubs deem fit to throw at 'em.

Stack 'em High , Sell 'em Cheap, create a 'part of it all' feel good factor thats affordable to the masses must be the way to go, it makes sense to sell out week after week (bums on seats) rather than budget for the high profile-high demand days, happy punters, higher peripheral sales... all add up to bigger turnovers/profits in the long run... ask Tesco's!!!

(that goes for British football in general -not just City, do it before the cash cow jumps over the moon, & the bubble bursts)

OK, that said - cant wait for the new season... hope its going to be a good 'un for City & City fans everywhere... in the stands, watching tv, listening on the radio or the web... Come On You Reds! Championship at last!!

I wonder if our beloved players have all got pay-rises as part of promotion? Another few hundred per week in some cases no doubt.

There lieth the problem of modern-day football. Astronomical wage bills that are ever-increasing.

Until there is an "implosion", which surely must come one day, and the average wage for a Prem/Champ player actually reduces, I can only see 10 to 15% rises year on year irrespective of previous season performance.

£500 for the Dolman A/B & F/G next year??

I quite frankly would pay any increase. Its not a loyalty issue here I believe its a steppin stone to becoming an established Championship side whether it be with the players or the Stadium

Ive been putting £50 a month away to cover my ST and any away games I wanted to go to. May have to start putting by £75 now though

Well you "quite Frankly" are very lucky to be able to pay ANY increase, there are thousands of City supporters that simply CANNOT afford to pay massive increases to watch their favourite local football team.

Again, sorry, I have to disagree with you on your other statement, it is VERY much a loyalty issue, lots of us have been supporting this club for many, many years, and for the last few years we have been served up dross (obviously not this term), but thousands of us paid good money to support the City, and now, where loyalty should be rewarded......we are screwed !!!

To summarise - Single with spare cash - No problem

Large disposable income - No problem

Mortgage and bills - Problem

Mortgage bills and kids - Help!

Mortgage, bills and kids who want to watch City - Goodbye

No ST - £28 - No way!

I am renewing as I get Foundation discount, had I not, it would have been a VERY difficult choice. A lot of you are missing a very crucial point, what is the point of City trying to keep up with the Jones', if the fans can't aford to watch them? I won't buy a huge car I can't afford because my neighbour has one, so why should City buy players they can't aford just because Ex-Prem Clubs do? Stoke nearly made the play-offs, yet Clueless has been told to trim his budget. It's getting as predictable as the dull Premiership, and pricing out fans, particularly those with kids may just help in the short term, but longer-term is a recipe for disaster.

And regarding prices going up for promotion, of we go straight back down, do prices drop by 30% next season??

One polite request, if you are single/ wealthy, please be sympathetic to those who can no longer afford football due to cost/ other financial commitments.

Thankfully this year is going to be cheaper than last year,Paid 190 for my ticket in the Williams last year, 185 this year for the EE. 5 pound cheaper to watch better football. Can't complain. But feel sorry for the people who hve to pay an extra 100. Lets hope we see improvements arounnd the club. Good signings,better catering ect.

Archived