IGNORED

Would It Have Been Better If We'd Stayed In League One?

no_merde

I'm just throwing this out there, and I'm sure I'll get shot down by the usual suspects, but it seems to me that it might have been better for us real fans to stay in league one this season.

If you look at it objectively, we'd almost be certain to win the majority of our matches, we'd have some fantastic cup runs in the JPT, and the season tickets would be 30% cheaper than what they are. We'd also have no expectation on our shoulders and could just enjoy another season of lovely football.

What do you think? The promotion felt really good, but did it feel 30% better? I'm not too sure now :dunno:

Yes and No, only thought the same thing today, the emotion and joy of after the Rotherham game has been fanstasic over the last week or so, TODAY it came crashing down.

I want championship football, but these prices I have to wonder if it is worth the extra outlay, if I felt convinced the team was going to be strengthed to such an extent that we could compete at the level it wouldn't be a problem, but if they think they can get away with bumping up the prices this much and make do with a couple of cheap signings they can think again.

If however come mid oct we are struggling, People are going to be screaming for Lansdown and Sexstone to take serious looks at their positions

No.

I know prices are high hell at the moment I do not know if I will not be able to get a season ticket for the first time since I was 10.

However I would not miss this for the world even if we finish bottom and end up going down without so much as a fight. Jesus could you imagine if we did not go up and the Gas did.

My mate is a Southend fan and I will admit I made the same point to him about winning and stuff but he said I would rather experince Championship football than never had the chance. He still says that now even though his team come down.

For the first time in a few years I am able to wear a City shirt without people saying we are bottlers and a slight snigger. Having people in Palma airport congratulate us for going up was superb and I would not swap it for the world.

I'm just throwing this out there, and I'm sure I'll get shot down by the usual suspects, but it seems to me that it might have been better for us real fans to stay in league one this season.

If you look at it objectively, we'd almost be certain to win the majority of our matches, we'd have some fantastic cup runs in the JPT, and the season tickets would be 30% cheaper than what they are. We'd also have no expectation on our shoulders and could just enjoy another season of lovely football.

What do you think? The promotion felt really good, but did it feel 30% better? I'm not too sure now :dunno:

Absolute rubbish.....and just out of interest, who are you putting in the category of "Us real fans"?

Who wants a fantastic run in the JPT? don't get me wrong, If you get to the final its a great day out but id much rather be entering the FA Cup in the 3rd round with the possibility of a tie against Liverpool or Man Utd.

How do you know the season tickets would be 30% cheaper, How do you know they wouldnt have gone up anyway? (Obviously not by 30%)

We would have far more expectation on us in league one because we are expected to win every week and expected to win the league.

Just reading through my reply and I'm wondering if this was a serious post?

Not being funny but if someone came up to me at the start of the season and said for a 30% increase in ticket prices next season for championship football how many people would have said no?

I know the ST are not cheap but we have reached our goal of the past 9years and should worry about staying up and consolidating as a Championship team! I know for a fact if the same someone came up to me and said for an extra 30% on season tickets next year for Premiership football i would bite his hand off!

Here we go again!!

So our a REAL fan yet you want to stay in League One

So everyone else isnt a REAL fan then??

I can't believe anyone is even thinking this, let alone actually posting it.

I can't remember if Wolves beat us 5-1 or 6-1 at the Battle of The Fighting Pigs, but as soon as I heard the result last night I thought: Wolves...not Gillingham...not Brighton...not Oldham...Wolves.

We might well struggle on the field. We will probably take our share of thrashings. We go from being a big fish in a small pool to a small fish in a big pool.

But we're not in League One anymore. And if anyone isn't up for next season, then they ought to find something else to do on Saturday afternoons (and in all likelihood Sunday lunchtimes) between August 2007 and May 2008.

I will be renewing my ST. :city:

In answer to the original question, the answer has to be a resounding NO!!

Understand the point you're trying to make, but this is what we wanted for 9 years.

The price hike is painful and I think it will backfire, but mediocrity is not the answer.

I am looking forward to watching bigger clubs visit the gate and personally can't wait until we play Plymouth and Cardiff especially.

OTIB Classics anyone....

i'm sorry but i don't know what this t***** was expecting us to reply about in this post. For most people on the forum. This is our first real promotion and first season in the Championship and i could'nt be more happier at the moment. Please let this thread be a wind-up.

If you our going to miss the JPT so much than support Rovers you git.

So almost 10 years of dreaming of getting promotion and "getting out of this S hitty league" and now we have finally achieved this feat your considering life in league 1 is better. To watch higher level football, you are going to have to pay more.

Whats going to happen if we get into the premiership? More moaning about even more expensive prices?

I honestly can't believe this is being discussed!!

I forked out nearly £1,000 this year in tickets, flights to Bristol, accomadation, spending money to see home/away games that I can count maybe on two hands and we have so called fans on here moaning about this measly increase in ST prices.

Get a life, it's just typical and what I come to expect from sections of our support!!! :disapointed2se:

I spent nearly a grand this year and I will have no problem doing for our first season in the CCC.

SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE :fastasleep:

It would be better if we had people running the club that actually understood what it was like to be a run of the mill football fan. Sexstone doesn't and I'm far from convinced that Lansdown has ever watched us play from outside the posh seats.

I honestly can't believe this is being discussed!!

I forked out nearly £1,000 this year in tickets, flights to Bristol, accomadation, spending money to see home/away games that I can count maybe on two hands and we have so called fans on here moaning about this measly increase in ST prices.

Get a life, it's just typical and what I come to expect from sections of our support!!! :disapointed2se:

I spent nearly a grand this year and I will have no problem doing for our first season in the CCC.

SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE :fastasleep:

Glad someone sees my point from another thread

I was being ironic because I can't believe this forum.

We get promoted and within three weeks we're complaining about paying for our ST because of a 30% increase. People are saying that after they supported the team for 25 years they're going to walk away.

If someone had offered us guaranteed promotion in return for charging us 30% extra for our season tickets I think that most of us would have bitten their arm off.

GET A GRIP - WE GOT PROMOTED AND WE HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. Simple. We want to stay in the top tiers of English football? In a ground we can be proud off? With a chance of getting promoted to the premiership? We've got to invest alongside Lansdown.

We get promoted and within three weeks we're complaining about paying for our ST because of a 30% increase. People are saying that after they supported the team for 25 years they're going to walk away.

If someone had offered us guaranteed promotion in return for charging us 30% extra for our season tickets I think that most of us would have bitten their arm off.

GET A GRIP - WE GOT PROMOTED AND WE HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. Simple. We want to stay in the top tiers of English football? In a ground we can be proud off? With a chance of getting promoted to the premiership? We've got to invest alongside Lansdown.

Exactly. Granted certain people may have difficulties in funds, but surely isnt what the installments (if that option is available this year?) are for. What are people going to do if the unthinkable happens and we somehow get promoted again. The prices will go up by another 30%. Are people going to boycott Premiership football? I don't think so.

job not paying you well, mate.

:coat:

Exactly. Granted certain people may have difficulties in funds, but surely isnt what the installments (if that option is available this year?) are for. What are people going to do if the unthinkable happens and we somehow get promoted again. The prices will go up by another 30%. Are people going to boycott Premiership football? I don't think so.

Surely that's what installments are for? No. Installments are there to make the club money out of the extra fees they charge for it. It costs you more that way. It doesn't really matter to most people that the extra money is spread out, it's not like it's hard to borrow money these days - it's that if you're already close to the edge as many people now are the extra could be something they simply cannot fit into a budget.

When you have a mortgage, bills to pay, and a family to feed, luxuries like watching football have to come behind that. When the club increases prices by 8 times the average salary increase some people simply will not be able to afford it whether they want to or not.

I've not seen a single post on this forum where anybody says that they are boycotting anything, or not going to buy a season ticket on principle. All I've seen is several posters say they can no longer afford it, so let's stop making things up.

Spot on mate - I've got to be honest, I really worry about the mentality of City fans. WE GOT PROMOTED FFS!

When the club increases prices by 8 times the average salary increase some people simply will not be able to afford it whether they want to or not.

When were season tickets inflation linked!! I mus have missed them in th Bank Of England's inflation report.......

Seriously though, we've got promoted to a higher division that has a higher level of football and expectation. I think a 30% increase is *totally* justified. How much more expensive is a Jaguar from a Ford Mondeo - 50% / 60%? - even though they're built on the same chasis etc. And then if you look at the price of the a Porsche, it's step up again.

Better things cost more, that's just the way capitalism works.

Personally, I reckon it would be better if we played in the Downs league. None of that nonsense involving decent opponents, away trips to places like Molineux and a shot at playing in the Prem at some point. It's all too much bother if you ask me. I'm ready for my medication now, Nurse.....

When were season tickets inflation linked!!

Ever since the people who pay for them were affected by inflation of course, not that I mentioned inflation.

Seriously though, we've got promoted to a higher division that has a higher level of football and expectation. I think a 30% increase is *totally* justified.

I've only said it about a million times but noone was thinking there wouldn't be price increases. There are three simple and obvious objections. 30% is exhorbitant, it won't actually make them any more money than say 20% would have because they will sell less tickets, and it takes the piss that someone who's shown loyalty through the hard times gets **** all loyalty back now and billy big game can pay the same price.

Of course they're opinions and people are free to disagree, but I firmly believe the majority of fans would have accepted 15-20% with no more than a grumble and are at best seriously pissed off with 30%.

How much more expensive is a Jaguar from a Ford Mondeo - 50% / 60%? - even though they're built on the same chasis etc. And then if you look at the price of the a Porsche, it's step up again.

Better things cost more, that's just the way capitalism works.

If you think SteveL is going to fork out and bring us in a Porsche or a Jag you're far more optimistic than me. As I've said, if we go out and sign players like those playing at the top 8 Championship clubs who we're now expected to pay the same ticket prices as, then I'll apologise. But we won't be doing that will we?

Spot on mate - I've got to be honest, I really worry about the mentality of City fans. WE GOT PROMOTED FFS!

There is a fairly big minority (if that makes sense) of city fans who will moan about anything they can with the club. If the prices wouldve gone up by this uch had we stayed down, then i would be the same as everyone else. But the fact is, were in a higher league, the best 2nd tier in Europe, probably the world, with some past and future internationals coming down to Ashton Gate and god knows how many ex premiership teams, with a faster, more exciting, better standard of football, so the prices are bound to increase.

Maybe/definatly in some people's eyes they have gone up far too much, and, to be honest, i was looking arounf the 20-25% mark, but i still don't mind. I would do anything to watch City as i'm sure most of you would. And with some people, certain thngs prevent them from getting ST's. But those who can and have, there is no point in moaning because the club arent going to change the prices now.

it seems to me that it might have been better for us real fans to stay in league one this season.

If you look at it objectively, we'd almost be certain to win the majority of our matches, we'd have some fantastic cup runs in the JPT, and the season tickets would be 30% cheaper than what they are.

In which case why not have City drop into the Downs League? With the current playing staff we'd (probably) win most games, plenty of local derbies and it'd be free for us fans to watch. :whistle:

I agree the price hike has been well above the national inflation rate, but surely we all expected an increase for higher grade football. Looking ahead, it would be great to see City in the premiership, but too many of us would have to settle for watching only a few games per season. Many Prem grounds there is no half price for children, so if you take say a 10 and a 6 year ol with you that's three adult tickets you pay for.

We could enjoy some "local" games against Swindon, Cheltenham, Swansea and possibly Yeovil and The Sag. Thats a possible 10 matches at or close to home. The alternative is Cardiff and Plymouth.

After a huge 30 seconds consideration, the first option makes suicide an honourable decision.

Ever since the people who pay for them were affected by inflation of course, not that I mentioned inflation.

I've only said it about a million times but noone was thinking there wouldn't be price increases. There are three simple and obvious objections. 30% is exhorbitant, it won't actually make them any more money than say 20% would have because they will sell less tickets, and it takes the piss that someone who's shown loyalty through the hard times gets **** all loyalty back now and billy big game can pay the same price.

Of course they're opinions and people are free to disagree, but I firmly believe the majority of fans would have accepted 15-20% with no more than a grumble and are at best seriously pissed off with 30%.

If you think SteveL is going to fork out and bring us in a Porsche or a Jag you're far more optimistic than me. As I've said, if we go out and sign players like those playing at the top 8 Championship clubs who we're now expected to pay the same ticket prices as, then I'll apologise. But we won't be doing that will we?

Totally agree Nibor but I fear you are wasting your breath on some posters.

I was expecting 15 - 20 % and would have hoped for some decent signings on the back of that increase.

Now I demand them but probably still won't get them !

No.

makes you really wonder ? What will some say IF we ever reach the real promised land of the Premiership. Some I work with have a season Ticket at Chelsea which costs over £800 per year?? Man ure prices have gone up as well. But these people watch the best players in the World and you pay for what you see !!

I have no issue with a price rise, as long as it is reflected on what we see on the pitch. No way would I want to see league One football again, I hope we survive and prosper but It all comes at a cost, it ain't for free ! :fingerscrossed:

Archived