IGNORED

Cs Defends Ticket Prices In Wdp

Barrs Court Red

Bristol City chief executive Colin Sexstone last night defended the club's decision to increase admission prices at Ashton Gate next season.Now that the club has achieved promotion to the Championship, the cost of a season ticket will rise by about 30 per cent.

And supporters who pay on the day are facing an even bigger rise as City bid to fund their return to English football's second tier following an absence of eight seasons.

Although price rises on such a scale are sure to prove unpopular with supporters, Sexstone insists the increases are justified.

He confirmed: "Costs for non-season-ticket holders will rise by a minimum of 30 per cent next season.

"Of course, people will complain, but we feel increases on this scale are justified given that we are now a Championship club.

"I appreciate we are not going to please all of the people all of the time, but I think a majority of our fans will be realistic about the situation we are now in.

"If we are to give the manager a decent budget in what is a very competitive field, our income from gate receipts has to match our wage bill.

"So long as ticket sales keep pace with wage rises, we have a chance of doing something in the higher division."

In future, supporters will be asked to pay in the region of £25 to sit in the Atyeo Stand, £28 for tickets in the Williams Stand and between £28 and £30 in the Dolman Stand. This compares to last season when fans paid £18 to sit in the Atyeo Stand, £20 for a place in the Williams Stand and £20/£21 for a ticket in the Dolman Stand.

In many cases, City fans will be paying more to watch their side at home than some supporters paid last season to watch Premiership clubs Aston Villa, Middlesbrough and Blackburn Rovers, all of whom have cut admission prices.

City's proposed new prices are on a par with those paid by Ipswich Town and Norwich City fans. But the East Anglian clubs are established in the Championship and have been able to boast Premier League status in recent history.

Sexstone said: "We have checked prices at the other Championship clubs and we will be on a par with many of those in the middle and lower reaches of the division."

Just a thought, why not respond to the fans on the website? Or are you too worried it might make people miss out the article on new t-shirts or heaven forbid the quiz?

The club (and more specifically Colin S and Steve L) have yet again shot themselves in the foot just when things were looking up.

Our return to the Championship would have been a great time to reward the loyal fans who have been watching mostly third rate crap in League One for 8 seasons and also entice new supporters and those part-timers who usually only turn out for the big games.

Instead BCFC have gone along with this ridiculous policy of charging a high price to get fewer fans through the turnstiles instead of charging a low price and filling the stadium.

Where is the sense in this? Why are true supporters been priced out?

If Lansdown wants to 'give Gary the best possible chance of success in the Championship' then we need a full stadium! Lansdown has clearly learnt nothing about the last few games of the season when the home fans roared us on to promotion.

Lansdown should also know that Gary Johnson is in fact a manager who DOES NOT like splashing a large amount of money on players, either in transfer fees or wages.

In fact to the contrary I get the impression Gary Johnson and the ethos he has instilled at BCFC is that the fans very important to giving the club success and that no player is bigger than the club.

The pricing of match tickets have gone completely against this ethos and next season we can surely look forward to dissappointing crowds and a weaker atmosphere due to tickets being taken up by toffs from Clifton and Redland who really support Prem teams but can afford to go and watch their 'local team'. Once again, there is no thought to the community either.

Just a thought - why didn't they price season tickets reasonably for our first season in the Championship and then fair enough hike them up the season after? The trick would be to get people hooked on BCFC and Championship football...

Just a thought - why didn't they price season tickets reasonably for our first season in the Championship and then fair enough hike them up the season after? The trick would be to get people hooked on BCFC and Championship football...

I made a similar point in another thread. I really think the 30% hike hasn't been thought through fully.I reckon the club could potentially lose out financially if fans vote with thier feet.

The club (and more specifically Colin S and Steve L) have yet again shot themselves in the foot just when things were looking up.

Our return to the Championship would have been a great time to reward the loyal fans who have been watching mostly third rate crap in League One for 8 seasons and also entice new supporters and those part-timers who usually only turn out for the big games.

Instead BCFC have gone along with this ridiculous policy of charging a high price to get fewer fans through the turnstiles instead of charging a low price and filling the stadium.

Where is the sense in this? Why are true supporters been priced out?

If Lansdown wants to 'give Gary the best possible chance of success in the Championship' then we need a full stadium! Lansdown has clearly learnt nothing about the last few games of the season when the home fans roared us on to promotion.

Lansdown should also know that Gary Johnson is in fact a manager who DOES NOT like splashing a large amount of money on players, either in transfer fees or wages.

In fact to the contrary I get the impression Gary Johnson and the ethos he has instilled at BCFC is that the fans very important to giving the club success and that no player is bigger than the club.

The pricing of match tickets have gone completely against this ethos and next season we can surely look forward to dissappointing crowds and a weaker atmosphere due to tickets being taken up by toffs from Clifton and Redland who really support Prem teams but can afford to go and watch their 'local team'. Once again, there is no thought to the community either.

Best post ive read on this subject over the past few days.

Totally agree.

I have followed city for many years but last year was the first time I could afford a ST for me and the Wife, now with this rise we will not be renewing them. Ok so its only 2 but how many other people will be the same. The club have made a big mistake.

I shall just go to Away grounds next season!!..

(so that means City won't get a penny out of me, and i can still support the team!)

After all, at those prices for seeing City at Home, coupled with petrol prices and a round trip of 300 miles,

i should really start doing my bit for the "environment" and cut my carbon footprint by half!!,

:farmer:

(will remove tongue from cheek later!)

Sexstone is just doing his job.

You wouldn't expect him to do anything else - spokesman for the club.

Sorry, thought that was your remit, or are you just holding Colin's hand while the nasty supporters air their legitimate grievances.

Not re-joining the Supporters Club next season will help me pay for my newly inflated S/T

The Evening Post interview includes

"I know people will point to S****horpe's prices and say they are cheaper despite them also winning promotion, but we are not S****horpe. Bristol, is an altogether different case. This is a big city, bigger even than Norwich and Ipswich."

I'm sorry, but that is utter b***ocks.

To me it smacks of "if people don't want to pay sod them; bristol is a big place and we are certain that others will be willing to jump on our bandwagon"

Why the sudden love in with Norwich and Ipswich, they have achieved so much more than us, so are bound to have a much higher level of support. They're in the arse end of nowhere and have no competition whatsoever. not only do we have another club in Bristol, but lets not forget the huge saturday football scene, the ease to get to Birmingham, London or even somewhere like Southampton.

The Evening Post interview includes

I'm sorry, but that is utter b***ocks.

To me it smacks of "if people don't want to pay sod them; bristol is a big place and we are certain that others will be willing to jump on our bandwagon"

Why the sudden love in with Norwich and Ipswich, they have achieved so much more than us, so are bound to have a much higher level of support. They're in the arse end of nowhere and have no competition whatsoever. not only do we have another club in Bristol, but lets not forget the huge saturday football scene, the ease to get to Birmingham, London or even somewhere like Southampton.

And Norwich are still getting over 20,000 a game.

And I am from Clifton my friend. But that doesn't necessarily qualify me as a toff or as having a bottomless pocket. Sadly!

I for one would have been a new season ticket holder, but following this price release, I am seriously considering backing down. Before you say I'm a part-timer I would like to add that I play football on Saturdays (one of many many City fans), but due to an ever increasing age, and an ever worsening knee injury, I had decided to give it up next season and watch City full time.

I did manage to attend 14 home games this season as a result of the said knee injury, and always manage at least 8-10 per season, so I'm certainly not jumping on any bandwagon.

But now I feel I may have another season left in me, and I am not alone in my team, there are others who would have gladly joined me in buying a ST, but now I'm sorry to say, it's unlikely.

I made a similar point in another thread. I really think the 30% hike hasn't been thought through fully.I reckon the club could potentially lose out financially if fans vote with thier feet.

I don't think there would have been a murmour at 15/20% this season with 10% next season based on which Divsion we are in.Clearly, if it's the Prem then all bets are off but we still can't expect fans to find tons more.

The club can still save itself by the 0% deals I suggested in another thread.That would be a PR coup!

Great letter and very true.

I for one would love to see City run out to an empty stadium for our opening home game, just to hammer the point home.

It won't happen and because of the number of fans that will just say Tcchhh and pay up, it never will.

Those who dofted their cap and said thankyou to CS for the clubs niggardly£10 cash offer for The Coach Debacle are also to blame for situations like this.Shalke's fan power will never be seen in our City and Blackburn, Wigan & Bolton fans should be applauded to the rooftops for bringing their clubs back to the real world.

I see where your coming from but I wouldnt say I was to blame for accepting a £10 cash offer for being delayed to Millwall. I was lucky that I only missed the first 5 minutes of the match and put it down to one of those days. If I had been delayed further I would have complained to the coach company.

Season ticket prices going up has nothing to do with what happened at Millwall. How can you compare £10 to a hike of 30 percente for a season ticket?

Archived