IGNORED

Goodbye Ship & Castle

Bar BS3

This is a post to let you know of some changes that will be happening over the summer.

Last Wednesday we exchanged contracts on what is currently the Rising Sun in Ashton Road. Due to a major (almost £250k) refurbishment programme, we will not be opening there untill mid - late July.

We have however agreed to exchange contracts on the Ship on Wednesday 23rd May, in order to have a holiday and start overseeing the work that wil be starting on the sun in a couple of weeks time.

As this is our last weekend at the Ship, we are having a farewell drink tonight (Friday 18th), so anyone who might liek to come down would be more than welcome.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your custom over the last 3 years, it has been a pleasure to be your host and hopefully we will see you in the new season, at what will by then be called, "Bar BS3".

If you would like to be kept upto date on what is happening as regards events and details of opening nights etc, please pm me your mobile and we will let you know when there is anything worth knowing!

Thanks again

Rob

Ship & Castle - Bar BS3

This is a post to let you know of some changes that will be happening over the summer.

Last Wednesday we exchanged contracts on what is currently the Rising Sun in Ashton Road. Due to a major (almost £250k) refurbishment programme, we will not be opening there untill mid - late July.

We have however agreed to exchange contracts on the Ship on Wednesday 23rd May, in order to have a holiday and start overseeing the work that wil be starting on the sun in a couple of weeks time.

As this is our last weekend at the Ship, we are having a farewell drink tonight (Friday 18th), so anyone who might liek to come down would be more than welcome.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your custom over the last 3 years, it has been a pleasure to be your host and hopefully we will see you in the new season, at what will by then be called, "Bar BS3".

If you would like to be kept upto date on what is happening as regards events and details of opening nights etc, please pm me your mobile and we will let you know when there is anything worth knowing!

Thanks again

Rob

Ship & Castle - Bar BS3

Fair play Rob, good luck with your new venture mate! it'll be great to see the Rising Sun back in tip top nick as it has been awful in there recently.

FD

Guest zider_head

Hope the garden gets a good doing over would be cracking to have a big screen out there, I have sent you a Pm too rob

Hope the garden gets a good doing over would be cracking to have a big screen out there, I have sent you a Pm too rob

Thanks for the positive feed back guys.

Yes the Garden is in our plans and will be fully re done and landscaped. To answer another post, that should make it a great place to have an open air Wurzels gig as it is massive and nicely enclosed.

If anyone else has any other questions or comments then ill reply to them as soon as i log back on here.

Cheers

Rob

Bar BS3!

:englandsmile4wf:

I have to say I wish people wouldn't mess around with pub names. Pubs are landmarks with years of history attached to them. What's wrong with the name The Rising Sun?

Understand what your saying mate but the 'Rising Sun' in it's current state will be shut forever very soon, Rob wants to take the place on and obviously feels that the £250k redevelopment is worthy of a new up to date name to boot, and is required to take the place forward into a new era.

Understand what your saying mate but the 'Rising Sun' in it's current state will be shut forever very soon, Rob wants to take the place on and obviously feels that the £250k redevelopment is worthy of a new up to date name to boot, and is required to take the place forward into a new era.

I wish Rob every success in his venture and am sure the new place will be far better than the current one. Fair play to him for doing this. Maybe I'm getting old and nostalgia is taking me over but I do like pubs to have the same name for generation upon generation.

• Admin

The Ship will definately never be the same, will never forget the many Wurzel gigs that you held at the Ship, will remember the last one for getting soaked in Natch - always a great gig !

Good Luck with your new venture !

Regarding the post above, I can understand what he means about not changing a name, but the thing is, that pub NEEDS a major overall so rather than people still refer to it as the Rising Sun, why not get recognition under a new pub name ! - mind you an ex City player in the title would go down well.

Anway Good Luck !

The Name change is simply so the place can move away from the reputation it has gained over the last few years for, lets just say, not being the best!

I fully understand that names can be tradition, however, i don't think in its current state, the place has anything to be proud of or to hold onto in that way.

Also it will be totally new, updated, revamped, with empasis on attracting a new clientele, so a new, modern, yet locally symbolic name was needed, we felt.

As for service on matchdays, obvioulsy we have heard several horror stories about this, and it will of course be one of our primary points for improvement.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks again

Rob

Ship & Castle - Bar BS3

Interesting stuff Rob. Good luck! The only thing makes me slightly nervous there is the word "bar" which I tend to associate with the word "wine". I hope this isn't the case ...

Interesting stuff Rob. Good luck! The only thing makes me slightly nervous there is the word "bar" which I tend to associate with the word "wine". I hope this isn't the case ...

No, don't worry.

Think more along the lines of "Bar", and "Sports"

Hope that is more bareable for you!!

Rob

Last Wednesday we exchanged contracts on what is currently the Rising Sun in Ashton Road. Due to a major (almost £250k) refurbishment programme, we will not be opening there until mid - late July.

.......... would of been more impressed if you had taken over the WEDLOCKS!!,

:disapointed2se:

.......... would of been more impressed if you had taken over the WEDLOCKS!!,

:disapointed2se:

Was never even a consideration I'm afraid. I would probably need at least double the budget to do up the wedlocks plus it doesnt have as much potential outide of matchdays.

Even if i was interested, the place has been sold, so I'm not sure why people keep going on about it. it closed as a pub because noone used it other than matchdays. this unfortunately does not make for a good business plan!

The Rising sun / Bar BS3 however, has the location and potential to have a thriving trade throughout the week, plus the obvious swell of trade on match days.

Sorry to dissapoint, but wouldnt touch the Wedlocks with a barge pole!

Rob

are the supporters trust changing their "base" as a result of this ?

That would mean the massive flag needs changing

Thats a very good point Phantom. I have mentioned the move to the other board members, guess we will discuss it at the AGM on Tuesday, at the football club, where ANYONE is welcome, you don't have to be a member or owt.

No, don't worry.

Think more along the lines of "Bar", and "Sports"

Hope that is more bareable for you!!

Rob

Oh dear, I can see lots of beach wood and stainless steel, circa late 90,s and early 2000's, hope I am wrong but by the "originality" of the name I fear not. :disapointed2se:

Personally I think this is a great shame and just another episode of the sanitisation of the City football experience, First the Wedlocks now the Rising Sun, whats next? Hopefully not the Lions and the Coopers.

Good luck, I am sure you will be succesful in your venture.

Thats a very good point Phantom. I have mentioned the move to the other board members, guess we will discuss it at the AGM on Tuesday, at the football club, where ANYONE is welcome, you don't have to be a member or owt.

IMO you shouldnt be making sly digs at other fans organazitions, seeing us you wouldn't like people doing it to the ST. You should concerntrate on the ST and not what the SC does or doesnt. You are putting me off joining the ST.

IMO you shouldnt be making sly digs at other fans organazitions, seeing us you wouldn't like people doing it to the ST. You should concerntrate on the ST and not what the SC does or doesnt. You are putting me off joining the ST.

I'm sorry where was I making a dig, I was just pointing out that anyone who wants to come to Tuesdays AGM can do so.

That is a dig to me.

Well then you're clearly reading more into my posts than anyone else. I was just pointing out the facts thats all.

Take that chip off your shoulder why don't you.

I don't think I have a chip on my shoulder.

This isnt the first time me or other posters have thought this kinda thing.

Just trying to point out how sometimes your attitude and the way you come across could affect existing and potenial member of the ST.

Anyway, doesnt matter and good luck with the ST.

What? ANYONE??

Including me? :innocent06:

Archived