IGNORED

Talksport

Rob k

I was listening to Parry yesterday, he made what i thought was a good point, Basically the team that wins the playoffs get much more than the team that comes second, a day out at wembley which makes the club loads of money through merchandising and gate receipts, a decent trophy which is presented to you instead of being sent via the post and media exposure, he reckons the play offs should be played at placed like villa park and not the national stadium, I have to admit i see his point.

I was listening to Parry yesterday, he made what i thought was a good point, Basically the team that wins the playoffs get much more than the team that comes second, a day out at wembley which makes the club loads of money through merchandising and gate receipts, a decent trophy which is presented to you instead of being sent via the post and media exposure, he reckons the play offs should be played at placed like villa park and not the national stadium, I have to admit i see his point.

Parry is so transparent.Its listening to someone who is a wind-up merchant trying to get angry fans to phone in.He does it very well.

He admitted the other day that he was miffed because his beloved Everton had not yet played at the New Wembley and that he was resentful that lower league teams were allowed to grace the hallowed turf.

Some bloke - from Bristol - phoned in to say that Parry was insulting 'grass roots fans' and should be ashamed.Parry very quickly backtracked.......its not often callers get the better of him.

So even less people can go :disapointed2se:

Brilliant :noexpression:

I have a solution.

The team that finishes second get a trophy presented at their last game or a civic ceremony (College Green) and more prize money (as now)

So what if less people can go, It might actually make the day better as you would not have to sit next to people who know nothing about the team. Rovers and shrewsbury had an average attendence of about 10,000 between them over a whole season, Blackpool and yeovil about the same and west brom and deby probs average just over 20k each at a guess.

So what if less people can go, It might actually make the day better as you would not have to sit next to people who know nothing about the team.

You can do that 23 times a season, most seasons

Rovers and shrewsbury had an average attendence of about 10,000 between them over a whole season, Blackpool and yeovil about the same and west brom and deby probs average just over 20k each at a guess.

Correct, Derby 25k WBA 20K-which is precisely why the FL Clubs need the money from games like this to survive as do the other FL Clubs who get a share of things like that and Cup Revenue both from games and the FA Pool that's distributed to it's members at the end of the season.It's the only way they survive.Parry is being completed shortsighted and selfish.This sis the bloke I was arguing with about City & Rovers merging.

So why not give the gate receipts from Wembley to the highest league positioned non promoted team?

The playoff team gets next year in a higher division. The better league achievement is rewarded so that they can build on next year.

Take a look at the premiership and the parachute payments ( I bet we're going to be talking about this for the next few years any way). This year we saw 2 out of the 3 relegated last year go straight back up and the 3rd team only just losing out via the play offs - these clubs not only had a huge tv money when they were in the premiership but also benefitted from £10m for coming down - with another £10m if they don't make it the following year (e.g. WBA) - Now lets see - Charlton have splashed the cash early on WBA have a fantastic squad of talented players (where did the money come from to assemble these players?).

With the relegated premiership clubs getting £50m from being in the premiership from this year on plus £10m fro being relegated - what chances do clubs like stoke cardiff plymouth norwich southampton ipswich city etc... got when they start the year £10m down - I would say that a very ver good year for that club which sees them finish 3rd or 4th should be rewarded via the gate receipts of the playoff finals going to them if they aren't promoted - this extra money may help them attract the extra player or two needed to give them a chance to go again next season - (or they can face upto 6 teams still enjoying parachute payments of £10m from next year and they will not have financially benefitted from being the best of the remaining clubs in the division).

Everybody knows how massively over budget Wembley came in at. The FA will play every single possible game they can at Wembley in a bid to recoup some of that money. Hence, FA cup semis at Wembley. Don`t be surprised if they try and get the LC semis their as well, or even the play off semis. Sounds ridiculous i know but i don`t think its beyond the numptys at Lancaster Gate.

It makes the travesty of all the empty seats at the 3 play off finals even more difficult to swallow.

As i inferred in a previous thread, when the CEOs` at the highest level of our national sport fail massively to recognise the needs of supporters on occasions such as that, when they have the chance to recoup close on to another £750k of the building cost in one match alone, then what chance have we that our very own CS is going to get it right.

PDG

Parry is so transparent. Its listening to someone who is a wind-up merchant.

Oh the Irony of that statement ;)

Back on topic.. The Play Off finals are not lucrative in terms of money generated because the FL take the lion share.

Rovers made little over £200k from Saturday.

Oh the Irony of that statement ;)

Back on topic.. The Play Off finals are not lucrative in terms of money generated because the FL take the lion share.

Rovers made little over £200k from Saturday.

thats Richard Lambert paid for then, not many other teams can splash 200k in that division

Personally I think that the play-off finals should be played as 2 legged ties like the semis (like they used to be). That way, it is (slightly) less of a lottery. Both sets of fans would have a home game, to which you would imagine season ticket holders / regular fans would get priority over tickets. And teams that finish higher in the play off positions should benefit more. The league is about 46 games not 3.

The play offs were introduced so that teams that were there or there abouts have something to play for at the end of the season. I remember when they first started, the winner of the play off in each league would play a side from the league above and the higher league side would stay up if they won (I think this was the case with Walsall in the late 80s?).

The prize of promotion should be enough of a reward not to need a day out at wembley or to win a cup etc.. the play offs really are going up via the back door and they should not be turned in to some type of cup final.

Of course the league would not make as much money out of this would they? And there you have it in a nutshell! And this is not a 'just to pay for Wembley' thing, I guarantee it will continue as long as they make a profit out of it.

But maybe he has a point here. Say we manage to establish ourselves as a championship side for say the next 5-10 years then what chance have we got of going to Wembley? Only if we managed to get in the play offs and then reach the final (against some massive clubs). Lets face it the FA Cup and League Cup finals are dreamland stuff.

Whereas in the lower leagues, opportunities for Wembley games are two a penny. We've been to 4 LDV (lower league trophy) finals, and one play off final over the past 21 years. Teams like Rovers can be mid table in the bottom division, get to the JPT final, finish 6th after a short burst of form and get to the final. Seems to me like the 'grass roots' clubs have more opportunities for their own piece of glory than a lot of bigger and better clubs (and that included us when we were in the ower divisions).

With the relegated premiership clubs getting £50m from being in the premiership from this year on plus £10m fro being relegated - what chances do clubs like stoke cardiff plymouth norwich southampton ipswich city etc... got when they start the year £10m down -

The £60m they talk about is actually based on worst case scenario and is built up as follows:

• £30m TV Money
  • £10m Year One Parachute
  • £10m Year Two Parachute
  • £10m Extra ST Sales/Bit of Cup Prize Money/Extra Gat Receipts from Away Fans POD, Merchandising etc, etc

I would say that a very ver good year for that club which sees them finish 3rd or 4th should be rewarded via the gate receipts of the playoff finals going to them if they aren't promoted - this extra money may help them attract the extra player or two needed to give them a chance to go again next season - (or they can face upto 6 teams still enjoying parachute payments of £10m from next year and they will not have financially benefitted from being the best of the remaining clubs in the division).

Why that won't happen, is that the clubs in The Prem want to make it as difficult as possible for someone like City to break in to the cosy club.This system, as you correctly point out, creates yoyo clubs and the reasons are obvious.

I say,get rid of the parachute payments and make clubs plan properly and, on the basis they take silly risks, fail as Leeds have.That would create a far more level playing field and stop this gambling and profligacy.

Run the clubs properly or suffer the consequences.

Archived