IGNORED

Luke Wilkshire

Crackers Corner

I wouldnt say that, He speaks a lot of truth.

The move wasnt right for him, the football didnt suit him and because of that he didnt get games - which obviously got to him.

Plus, Johnson cant get on with everybody...

Philips on the otherhand, bores the absolute pants off me with his drivel.

There is some truth in what he says but I dislike the attitude that he's so much better than us and the way he tries to make it out as though he did us a favour by taking a gamble on us. Sure Luke, it had nothing to do with the four grand a week you picked up for four years thus setting you up for life.

Next season we will be playing at a higher standard than him so his nose in the air attitude doesn't suit really.

I wouldnt say that, He speaks a lot of truth.

The move wasnt right for him, the football didnt suit him and because of that he didnt get games - which obviously got to him.

Plus, Johnson cant get on with everybody...

Philips on the otherhand, bores the absolute pants off me with his drivel.

Plus he can have a pop as technically he has moved up a standard....where as Phillips.... :noexpression:

some nasty comments from luke here

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0...5-12428,00.html

hes more bitter than steve phillips!

Aussies really rate themselves don't they. Unfortunately the Australian media are so ignorant of footballing matters that they fail to recognise that Wilky Wiltshire went from "Second rate Bristol City" to a third rate European league. The Dutch league is probably on a par with Scotland. I'll never forget when Australia took on France in a friendly and the Sydney Herald called Harry Kewell the natural successor to Zidane as the World's greatest player. Ignorant Antipodeans.

By the by, I wonder how Lukey Boy is feeling now that City are in the Championship and he's a #### at FC twente? Laters Wilkshire. Thanks for the memory, THAT goal.

To be fair, GJ seems to be a 'love-him-or-hate-him' bloke, and with Luke already looking for a way out when he arrived it was never going to be a match made in heaven.

Let's just hope that over the next year or so those ignorant Dutch people who asked him "Who are Bristol City?" will be saying "Wow, that your old team look good in the premiership!" instead, and he'll be able to be proud of his assosiation with us.

Aussies really rate themselves don't they. Unfortunately the Australian media are so ignorant of footballing matters that they fail to recognise that Wilky Wiltshire went from "Second rate Bristol City" to a third rate European league. The Dutch league is probably on a par with Scotland. I'll never forget when Australia took on France in a friendly and the Sydney Herald called Harry Kewell the natural successor to Zidane as the World's greatest player. Ignorant Antipodeans.

By the by, I wonder how Lukey Boy is feeling now that City are in the Championship and he's a #### at FC twente? Laters Wilkshire. Thanks for the memory, THAT goal.

i live down under and believe me some of them can be tw#ts with there football opinions.

Most over here aint heard of Bristol City so that says it all.

If you listen to them they have some of the best players in the world.

They are a confident pack of f#@kers.

just had the link sent from a mate

bit suprising really

but there you go i suppose

just sounds like a bitter ex player really

you would think footballers would be used to moving around these days as not many of em stay at a club when it doesnt suit them

funny how its all wrong when its the club that moves them on

wonder if he would have said the same about middlesbourough if we hadnt given him a second chance in england

:devil::devil::devil:

Impressed me on his debut but after that never lived up to his potential. Classy on the ball at times but too lightweigh for our (old) division, probably too lightweight for English football generally. Didn't help his cause by disappearing randomly throughout the season to play for the Aussies.

There is some truth in what he says but I dislike the attitude that he's so much better than us and the way he tries to make it out as though he did us a favour by taking a gamble on us. Sure Luke, it had nothing to do with the four grand a week you picked up for four years thus setting you up for life.

Next season we will be playing at a higher standard than him so his nose in the air attitude doesn't suit really.

Agreed - Wilkshire was never going to make it at City under Johnson who likes players with a good work rate and positive attitude.Poor ol' Luke just didn't do it often enough.

In the interest of balance, just sent them this

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was very disappointed to hear LW's comments.

Bristol City are now in The Championship which, for the record, is the 4th best supported League in Europe.

We bought Luke for £250,000 from Middlesborough for whom he was a reserve player, to replace Scott Murray, who'd left for Reading in a £600,000 transfer.Scott subsequently returned to our club and is about to sign a new Contract now that we are in The Championship, having been promoted last season.

Luke signed a long term contract, reported at £4,500pw and would have enjoyed a significant signing on fee.

It soon became clear that he wasn't a right winger, found the physical side of the League Two game difficult and he became an expensive reserve.

He was signed by Danny Wilson who was subsequently sacked after four seasons when City did not acheive promotion despite reaching a play off semi final and a play off final, in Cardiff at The Millenium Stadium v Brighton.

Wilson was replaced by Brian Tinnion, who had the novel idea of playing LW wide left midfield, a position in which he looked far better, scoring one particularly outstanding goal from almost inside his own half against Tranmere at Ashton Gate.

Luke looked a better player and, whilst his name was circulated amongst other clubs, no fiirm bids came in and, with City finishing 7th in Tinnions first season, the future looked brighter.A catostrophic start to Tinnions next season , culminating in a 7-1 thrashing at rivals Swansea saw Tinnions departure and Gary Johnsons arrival.Johnson had a very mixed beginning winning three of his first four games, then losing a club record nine on the spin!

Recovering to finish the season in fine form and 9th place with LW restored on the left flank and the whole team enjoying excellent form for the last 23 games of the season, Luke was offered new terms, yet chose to leave.I don't know, but I'd imagine they were reduced as £4,500pw is a huge amount for a League One player.

Gus Hiddink's comments were unhelpful and many players from this League move on within our country.Our winger, Welsh International,Dave Cotterill, left this season to join Premier League Wigan for £2m and a reported £8,000pw-Only this week Luke Varney left Crewe for Charlton in a deal that will be worth £2.5m.He will probably earn in excess of £10,000pw

My point being that League One affords players massive opportunities to progress if they are succesful at this level and attract the attention of both Championship & Premier League Clubs.

Luke must have been disappointed that he didn't attract that attention and had to move however, he was a regular in The Australian National sides as we realised when he was unable to play for us on numerous occassions due to International call ups on the other side of the World-This didn't help him establish a regular place in our starting line up under any of the three managers he served and he should take it into consideration.

Playing for BCFC obviously didn't stop him going to the Word Cup and probably earned him £1m over four years, so I'm surprised he doesn't remember his time here more fondly.

His record-League

Middlesborough.........1998/2003.........13 Games....0 Goals

Bristol City..2003/2006..........90 Games..20 Subs...17 Goals

In the interest of balance, just sent them this

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was very disappointed to hear LW's comments.

Bristol City are now in The Championship which, for the record, is the 4th best supported League in Europe.

We bought Luke for £250,000 from Middlesborough for whom he was a reserve player, to replace Scott Murray, who'd left for Reading in a £600,000 transfer.Scott subsequently returned to our club and is about to sign a new Contract now that we are in The Championship, having been promoted last season.

Luke signed a long term contract, reported at £4,500pw and would have enjoyed a significant signing on fee.

It soon became clear that he wasn't a right winger, found the physical side of the League Two game difficult and he became an expensive reserve.

He was signed by Danny Wilson who was subsequently sacked after four seasons when City did not acheive promotion despite reaching a play off semi final and a play off final, in Cardiff at The Millenium Stadium v Brighton.

Wilson was replaced by Brian Tinnion, who had the novel idea of playing LW wide left midfield, a position in which he looked far better, scoring one particularly outstanding goal from almost inside his own half against Tranmere at Ashton Gate.

Luke looked a better player and, whilst his name was circulated amongst other clubs, no fiirm bids came in and, with City finishing 7th in Tinnions first season, the future looked brighter.A catostrophic start to Tinnions next season , culminating in a 7-1 thrashing at rivals Swansea saw Tinnions departure and Gary Johnsons arrival.Johnson had a very mixed beginning winning three of his first four games, then losing a club record nine on the spin!

Recovering to finish the season in fine form and 9th place with LW restored on the left flank and the whole team enjoying excellent form for the last 23 games of the season, Luke was offered new terms, yet chose to leave.I don't know, but I'd imagine they were reduced as £4,500pw is a huge amount for a League One player.

Gus Hiddink's comments were unhelpful and many players from this League move on within our country.Our winger, Welsh International,Dave Cotterill, left this season to join Premier League Wigan for £2m and a reported £8,000pw-Only this week Luke Varney left Crewe for Charlton in a deal that will be worth £2.5m.He will probably earn in excess of £10,000pw

My point being that League One affords players massive opportunities to progress if they are succesful at this level and attract the attention of both Championship & Premier League Clubs.

Luke must have been disappointed that he didn't attract that attention and had to move however, he was a regular in The Australian National sides as we realised when he was unable to play for us on numerous occassions due to International call ups on the other side of the World-This didn't help him establish a regular place in our starting line up under any of the three managers he served and he should take it into consideration.

Playing for BCFC obviously didn't stop him going to the Word Cup and probably earned him £1m over four years, so I'm surprised he doesn't remember his time here more fondly.

His record-League

Middlesborough.........1998/2003.........13 Games....0 Goals

Bristol City..2003/2006..........90 Games..20 Subs...17 Goals

good work BB :worship2:

You tell 'em BB!

Ironic how hs international commitments could be seen as one of the reasons he couldn't ever become out-an-out first choice or perform consistantly for us. almost like his desire to be in the national team hampered our ambitions, rather than the other way round...

Agreed - Wilkshire was never going to make it at City under Johnson who likes players with a good work rate and positive attitude.Poor ol' Luke just didn't do it often enough.

As Luke failed to impress, we were doing well with a like for like player. Good technical ability, similar pace, but a much better 90 minute package. Cost less, recieved less wages, yes indeed, our own David Noble.

GJ had to look at the squad and who brought more to the party. Sorry Luke, but Noble was and is a better team option.

To say that Aussies are ignorant to football is in itself an ignorant comment.

Our downunder chums proved themselves in the recent world cup and did just as well as England. Likewise Luke proved himself on a world stage, he can certainly do the job...." When he puts his mind to it ".

To say Aussies don't know who Bristol City are, is equally as ignorant. How many City fans know about the Aussie football league set up, or its status in the Asian cup.

For a country with a relatively small population, around 23million, they consistantly outperform England in the Olympics, Cricket, Rugby League and now are breathing down our necks in football.

My son works in a large production company and he and his co workers regularly stay up to watch the English football live and direct on saturday nights. They have their favorite teams, and I was pleasantly surprised as to how many of them knew about Bristol City. The main Sydney papers print all top four league results and tables with highlight match commentaries. That goes for the major euro matches/tables as well.

There is now a huge football infrastructure for the kids from under 6's at a,b,c,d,e,f and g grade as required, in all city suburbs and most country centers. Harry Kewell, Liverpool, Cahill, Everton, even the Championship league are on Foxtel every week

Its all about perspective, and football is alive and well downunder.

It was similar to Andy Cole, he soon forgot that Bcfc were the club that took a gamble on him, you would think he had never visited Bristol the way he ignores the first part of his career.

Wilkshire was a decent enough player on his day, very average performer for most of it though, I can't remember one game were he put in a Dave Cotterill type performance against Northampton on a cold winters night.

I think our promotion proves that it doesn't matter what a player earns or what potential they have, if they don't work hard enough at their game then they wont get the rewards at the end of the season.

Have read the Article and to be honest I agree with everything he said.

He was a quality Midfielder who was continuously played out of position, and there was obviously a clash of personalities between Johnson and himself, personally that can happen to anybody and in any walk of life so lets get of his back I for one will always think highly of his style of play and will continue to watch his progress.

Good Luck Luke !!!!!

Have read the Article and to be honest I agree with everything he said.

He was a quality Midfielder who was continuously played out of position, and there was obviously a clash of personalities between Johnson and himself, personally that can happen to anybody and in any walk of life so lets get of his back I for one will always think highly of his style of play and will continue to watch his progress.

Good Luck Luke !!!!!

He was a good player. However, he was a massive underachiever for us. With his pedigree, you would expect him to have run the show and be the sort of player, that when times were bad, he would stand up and be counted!

The only time he played well was when City played well. When this club was on a downer, he would vanish in games and have no influence what so ever

Archived