IGNORED

Are We Under Rated? Read This Article..

This is a very good post taken from 606.

When outsiders think of Bristol the question that often springs to mind is "Why can't a city that big produce a top flight side?" indeed for several years, (7 or 8?) it has also been "Why can't a city that big produce a second level side?" After too frequently falling at the final hurdle this year Gary Johnson lead the Cider reds into the Championship, but how will they fair in the year ahead?

Like Blackpool and S****horpe, City face the task of adjusting to level they have been absent from for a long time and unlike Blackpool without much of a treasury to dig into, much will depend on Johnson's ability to get the best out of what he already possesses. Where this may cause problems will be in centre midfield, where the lack of a strong tackling midfielder could put a lot of pressure on the back four and strangle the supply to the likes of Brooker. Another concern will be their maverick keeper Adriano Basso, brilliant one moment, calamitous the next if he struggles this could put further pressure on a defence already likely to be under the kosh. City's small squad (currently only

about 15 men) will also need bolstering against njuries/suspensions.

Ashton Gate will be a touch small for Championship grounds but for away fans it can be great fun for creating large volumes of noise due to the design of the away end being rather like a megaphone, the pies and tea are average though the serving wenches have all the speed of Wurzel Gummidge's dead wife. Bristol itself is a fine city and the centre is very impressive - if you fancy a pint

the Hotwells area by the river is the area to go, unfortunately, there is also something of a dark side to Bristol where the parks and streets around Ashton Gate can descend into chaos and its worth keeping your wits about you

I believe that unless City make some very strong signings, this could be a tough season for the Cidereds - though I said the same about Barnsley last year

What do you think

I don't know about you but when I read stuff like this I kind of get the feeling that we are slightly under estimated by all the established teams in the championship. Don't get me wrong I do think it will be a struggle. But I also think we are going to cause a few surprises next season and I don't think people will be saying the same after next season.

Any thoughts?

Some right, some wrong there. Our squad is at least 20 players strong at the moment, not counting youth players, and I don't think Ashton Gate is too bad for the Championship capacity-wise (bigger than Blackpool, Colchester, S****horpe for a start).

Some might say we lack a tough-tackling midfielder, but others would say that in Skuse we have a more intelligent Hargreaves-type player who can break up the play without flying into tackles, and if that fails we can always stick Keogh in there to kill people ;) I also think that Basso is a far better keeper than people give him credit for. For every occasional error he makes there are a whole host of match-winning saves to make up for it.

Frankly, although I agree that we need to strengthen in order to avoid a struggle, that article looks to me like it was written by someone with only a vague grasp of the true facts about City - understandable if they're not a City fan as I certainly couldn't speak with any authority on Ipswich or Leicester for example.

Your joking arnt you? maybe right for 2 seasons ago. But Basso was awsome last season.

I don't do jokes! :laugh:

Na, seriously, there's no doubt he improved a lot last year but, as I've said before, I think Basso could well be found out at Championship level. He still made far too many fumbles and miskicks that went largely unpunished in League One last season and, with the main difference between the two leagues being the sharpness of the forwards, Basso will need to cut out ALL of that IMHO if we're to remain reasonably solid at the back.

Just wonder what their opinion would have been if we had a 20+ league striker last season - they think our midfield and defense are not up to it yet we who have been watching know that the left midfielder and 2 fit strikers with killer instincts is what we are missing - let them under estermate us at their peril and let them blame their big time charley players when they let their fans down.

Hard work and perserverance will see us ok next season.

Na, seriously, there's no doubt he improved a lot last year but, as I've said before, I think Basso could well be found out at Championship level. He still made far too many fumbles and miskicks that went largely unpunished in League One last season and, with the main difference between the two leagues being the sharpness of the forwards, Basso will need to cut out ALL of that IMHO if we're to remain reasonably solid at the back.

this is the most accurate post i have read for a while. more of Bassos mistakes will get punished next year due to the increased quality of opposition.

this is the most accurate post i have read for a while. more of Bassos mistakes will get punished next year due to the increased quality of opposition.

I do see what your saying about some of the very few mistakes Basso made last season. But to imply that he may be a weak link in the side in my opinion is way off the mark. Basso last season was pure class for 99% of the time and probably contributed a lot to where we are now.

The original post was not to highlight any weekness we may have but to show what others think of BCFC as a club and what we will do. They can think what they like about Basso or anything else.

I still think we will cause a few upsets.

The article is not telling us anything that we don't already know.

Yep - City are relegation material unless some new blood arrives.We all know that and more importantly so does Johnson and the board.

Yep - We all know that Basso is prone to the odd error but then so is every other 'keeper.

When will these people come up with something original?

I wasn't to be disappointed. I knew Eddie would want to add his own slating for Basso: he can't resist and is suckered in every time. Talks total tosh on the subject by the way!

Very fair point there, but all I have to say that he has all summer to improve even more, lets hope he does or if not, looks like that new keeper Henderson will be given a go.

Small squad ?, so what do we have.

3 keepers.

Orr, Carey Keogh, McCombe, Fontaine, McAllister, Wilson B and Wilson J. Thats 8.

Johnson, Noble, Russell, Skuse, Artus, Betsy, Murray and Williams. Thats 8.

Brooker, Showumni, Jevons and Plummer. Thats 4.

For a total of 23. We are told that 4/5 players are coming in, who will be better than what we have. If rumours are correct we may sell perhaps 2 players. So a squad of around 2 dozen on the wage bill.

Some will say, he's past his best, or he's too young. Russell is 34 but like Tinman he looks after himself. Artus is nearly 20, and Cotterill, Golbourne, Lita, Keogh, Skuse, Williams and Fontaine have all played between 17-20. Add to that, that James Wilson is the second biggest player to McCombe, fast and an excellant ball player. A good basic squad plus the promised " Better Players " and we may well get a better rating.

I think the original article paints a pretty accurate picture.Our elevation was based on a strong defense and a solid work ethic.We know we are particularly short on real quality up-front and have limitations in delivering sufficient service from wide positions.

Once we see our new arrivals a more valid opinion of our prospects will emerge.Perhaps the most intriguing dimension surrounds Brooker, a fit and functioning at best Brooker will be like a new acquisition to G.J. For the moment we certainly seem to a lot more questions than answers, we know :Wilson,Betsy,Basso,Orr,Carey,Murray,Showumni,& Jevons can perform well at the level we have just left,But ,when the show starts rolling and the questions get harder will G.J. have to despatch them in Anne Robinson style.

The article is not telling us anything that we don't already know.

Yep - City are relegation material unless some new blood arrives.We all know that and more importantly so does Johnson and the board.

Yep - We all know that Basso is prone to the odd error but then so is every other 'keeper.

When will these people come up with something original?

Liking the positivity there Robbo.

I don't think we should be worried if we are underestimated.

Coventry probably did the same to us in the cup replay, thinking that they got us back to their place so the tie was theirs, and then we beat them.

Boro i'm certain thought the same when they were 2-0 up at the gate.

What I am trying to say is City play well and i personally think better when the pressure is off them and as the expectations on us are only to stay up this yr I think our players will do better as there is less pressure

Frankly, although I agree that we need to strengthen in order to avoid a struggle, that article looks to me like it was written by someone with only a vague grasp of the true facts about City - understandable if they're not a City fan as I certainly couldn't speak with any authority on Ipswich or Leicester for example.

Just wonder what their opinion would have been if we had a 20+ league striker last season - they think our midfield and defense are not up to it yet we who have been watching know that the left midfielder and 2 fit strikers with killer instincts is what we are missing - let them under estermate us at their peril and let them blame their big time charley players when they let their fans down.

Hard work and perserverance will see us ok next season

Well said mate.We also had Scott Murray injured in the match against rovers,which put him out of the rest of the season when we could have well done with him. :englandsmile4wf:

Archived