IGNORED

Tommy Doc

So you'd put Tommy above, Bob Taylor, Andy Cole, Rob Newman, Steve Neville, Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan, Gary Shelton, Shaun Taylor, Scott Murray, Leroy Rosenior, Mark Shail, Shaun Goater and thats just a few off the top of my head.......... all of whom, are, IMHO better players and examples of their profession than Tommy.

I'll second that!

Tommy Doherty will most like be playing for Wycombe next year.

Joe Burnell played for the from 2004-2006 then moved upwards from them to Northampton.

If you look at their career stats they've got pretty much the same stats appearance wise with Tommy on 12 goals while Joe 6.

They've both suffered serious injuries.

Tommy D http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=10640

Joe B http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=16761

Joe is one year younger and playing in one league higher.

That sums up the situation. While i fear i'm being disrespectful to Joe, he's made the most of his abilities, Tommy hasn't. I genuinely have more respect and praise for Joe and would welcome him back much more than Tommy.

Don't make me laugh. Just a bit of a understatement that 10%.

He showed "commitment" to get back from his horrific injury that had him out for over a year cheers.

IMO, Tommy is one of the best players I've seen play for City.

Tommy's going to get ya' Tommy's going to get ya'!!!

Hero worship equals short and selective memory.

It was well over a year he was out and it was the club that showed commitment and loyalty, not Doherty.

Terrible appearance record, terrible disciplinary record and shocking goalscoring record. Set a dreadful example when given the City Captaincy.

Doherty didn't start off as a defensive midfielder, he resorted to being one when his lack of fitness prevented him from being a box to box player.

Many of his "brave, lunging tackles" were in fact clumsy fouls due to being too slow and late to challenge.

We all loved him as a fiery, skilful youngster who looked certain to be a City great.

It never happened - what a shame, and what a waste.

Hero worship equals short and selective memory.

It was well over a year he was out and it was the club that showed commitment and loyalty, not Doherty.

Terrible appearance record, terrible disciplinary record and shocking goalscoring record. Set a dreadful example when given the City Captaincy.

Doherty didn't start off as a defensive midfielder, he resorted to being one when his lack of fitness prevented him from being a box to box player.

Many of his "brave, lunging tackles" were in fact clumsy fouls due to being too slow and late to challenge.

We all loved him as a fiery, skilful youngster who looked certain to be a City great.

It never happened - what a shame, and what a waste.

God, you chat some shit.

i would pay £100k to have him back, he is still a quality player. I will never forgive Tinnion for getting rid of him.

i saw the doc in my work about a week ago... got 1 year to go on his qpr contract he told me and doesnt know where hes going to end up.. so i said come back down the gate we'd love you back! his swift reply: no i don't think i will ever be going back there! i would love to have him back but from those comments don't think we willever see him in a city shirt again.

as a 16 year old kid i still say that tommy doherty is my footballing hero.. ok sure he had his problems but when he was on thet pitch you couldnt tell.. he always put 100% in to tackles and he could pass the ball almost aswell as tinnion.. whenever tommy was out injured or suspended and joe burnell came in he just couldnt compete to the standard that tommy produced week in week out..

So so wrong on so many points. You say you couldnt tell if he had problems off the pitch? Wrong. Why couldnt he get around the pitch for more than the first 20 mins of a game? I'd suggest his off field antics did effect him on match day and were the reason why he under acheived .

You say Tommy produced week in week out? I assume your referring to his social habbits because it couldnt of been his football. If not injured it was just a matter of time until he'd get himself suspended as a result of a rash challenge or mouthing off at officals.

tommy doc is the greatest midfielder that ive seen at this club in the 10 years that ive been watching regulary and i doubt anyone in the city team at the moment could challenge or come remotely close to matching his standards!

Nobes,Russell & Johnson are all technically as good as TD and they are also all professional and fit unlike TD.

I really don't understand why he's held in such high esteem by so many??

I really don't understand why he's held in such high esteem by so many??

Because he's local, because he's a nice bloke to talk to, (not bigheaded in the least unlike some of the others that came through at the same time), because he's always happy to chat with fans, because he always went in hard and gave better than he got and because he was obviously talented. All those add up to a local hero.

Tommy Doherty has a great deal of natural talent and the thing that's disappointing about him is that if he was prepared to put football first in his life and get to a level of fitness where he could cover the pitch box to box for 90 minutes, he could have played at the very highest level.

I'm not suggesting he's an alcoholic or smokes 40 a day (and I've never heard anyone suggest that). The simple fact is that anyone who watched him play for us must surely recognise that he could be a lot fitter than he was. There would never have been any rumours about what he does off the pitch if he was lasting until the end of a game 40 times a season.

I think Tommy enjoys playing football but he's not willing to put it first. He doesn't want to move away from Bristol, his friends and family are important to him and he doesn't like being away (hence why he quit playing for NI). He doesn't want to stop enjoying his social life and if that limits how far he goes in the game he's not too bothered.

It's his life and his choice though and in truth I don't think there's any city fan that wants to see Tommy do anything other than succeed. When you see or hear people criticising him it's mainly disappointment.

I rate Tommy very highly indeed. Only played 28 games for Wycombe yet made the PFA select side and got voted supporters player of the year. Johnson will never have him back (already spoken to him on that one) but that doesn't mean to say that he's not good enough. I mean, GJ did sign Bas Savage, Kelly Youga, Andy Smith, Phil Jevons and Barry Corr who weren't exactly mustard, were they? I know we've moved up a level but Tommy has shown that he still has big performances in him.

Tommy will always go down in my book as the best midfielder the club has had since Gerry Gow and I wish him all the best at Wycombe or wherever he may end up. Good on you, Tommy

Because he's local, because he's a nice bloke to talk to, (not bigheaded in the least unlike some of the others that came through at the same time), because he's always happy to chat with fans, because he always went in hard and gave better than he got and because he was obviously talented. All those add up to a local hero.

Tommy Doherty has a great deal of natural talent and the thing that's disappointing about him is that if he was prepared to put football first in his life and get to a level of fitness where he could cover the pitch box to box for 90 minutes, he could have played at the very highest level.

I'm not suggesting he's an alcoholic or smokes 40 a day (and I've never heard anyone suggest that). The simple fact is that anyone who watched him play for us must surely recognise that he could be a lot fitter than he was. There would never have been any rumours about what he does off the pitch if he was lasting until the end of a game 40 times a season.

I think Tommy enjoys playing football but he's not willing to put it first. He doesn't want to move away from Bristol, his friends and family are important to him and he doesn't like being away (hence why he quit playing for NI). He doesn't want to stop enjoying his social life and if that limits how far he goes in the game he's not too bothered.

It's his life and his choice though and in truth I don't think there's any city fan that wants to see Tommy do anything other than succeed. When you see or hear people criticising him it's mainly disappointment.

Great post, that

I can't comment on TD on a personal level as I have never met him, like many on here who sing his praises. Although I agree with your post in the main I have to say I still don't understand.

You describe this person who had a natural ability to play football and in your opinion he could of possibly gone all the way, due to his preference of having a social life and living a more 'normal' life style he never even come close to fulfilling his potential, to make things even more daft he knew actually what he was doing. He decided not to put football first!

He was a talent and he knew with better application and dedication he really could of been someone in the footballing world but decided it wasnt for him, now naturally that is his choice but why are we celebrating him.

Surely he was unprofesional and massively under achieved, to me as a paying customer that is not something I'm prepared to celebrate.

Amen to that.

Surely he was unprofesional and massively under achieved, to me as a paying customer that is not something I'm prepared to celebrate.

Well, I'm not saying he's a hero to me or celebrating him I'm just trying to explain why some City fans look at him that way.

Look at it from his point of view, it's not his fault he's got the talent - why should that force him to not enjoy a few beers with his mates or run 10 miles every morning and then move to Manchester/London/etc?

He's decided what he wants in life and what he's prepared to do and not prepared to do and if a club's decides to pay him well to play on those terms that's their lookout isn't it?

In some ways I have respect for someone who is going to do what he wants to with his life regardless of what others think he should, but in another way it's a disappointment to see him playing at Wycombe not in the Premiership or helping us get there.

I like to think that if I was blessed with that sort of ability I'd be doing a half marathon every morning and would never touch a drop of booze but would I really?

I do agree though, I found it very frustrating to see him continually getting subbed or being unfit while we were paying his wages. Now he's moved on so good luck to him.

also when do you reach that point when football does become just a job?? Even though most of us would love to be a player i would not fancy doing boring training everyday and not be able to have a few beers with my mates, who here can hold their hand up and say they have performed at work 100% everyday of their working lives and have never gone in to work with a hangover knowing it will affect your performance.

Tommy Doherty is my favourite ever player.

Nibor is right, the guy put his social life first, and dislikes being away from Bristol, and I'm not prepared to criticise him for that. He's an odd sort of guy.

I loved watching him play. His fitness always let him down, but he always went in hard and was a brilliant tough-tackling midfielder. I love the guy.

Well, I'm not saying he's a hero to me or celebrating him I'm just trying to explain why some City fans look at him that way.

Look at it from his point of view, it's not his fault he's got the talent - why should that force him to not enjoy a few beers with his mates or run 10 miles every morning and then move to Manchester/London/etc?

He's decided what he wants in life and what he's prepared to do and not prepared to do and if a club's decides to pay him well to play on those terms that's their lookout isn't it?

In some ways I have respect for someone who is going to do what he wants to with his life regardless of what others think he should, but in another way it's a disappointment to see him playing at Wycombe not in the Premiership or helping us get there.

I like to think that if I was blessed with that sort of ability I'd be doing a half marathon every morning and would never touch a drop of booze but would I really?

I do agree though, I found it very frustrating to see him continually getting subbed or being unfit while we were paying his wages. Now he's moved on so good luck to him.

Agreed it's his life,his choices... but ultimately the reason he's playing in the basement now is because of those choices.

I'm sure deep down he must be disapointed not to playing on a bigger stage? I think when he looks back in 20 years time he'll regret not making more of a doubtedly exellent talent.

Would you want him back at Ashton Gate? I know I wouldnt!

Guest Eamer
also when do you reach that point when football does become just a job?? Even though most of us would love to be a player i would not fancy doing boring training everyday and not be able to have a few beers with my mates, who here can hold their hand up and say they have performed at work 100% everyday of their working lives and have never gone in to work with a hangover knowing it will affect your performance.

I can honestly say I've never ever gone into work or School, College or University with a hangover.

Agreed it's his life,his choices... but ultimately the reason he's playing in the basement now is because of those choices.

I'm sure deep down he must be disapointed not to playing on a bigger stage? I think when he looks back in 20 years time he'll regret not making more of a doubtedly exellent talent.

Would you want him back at Ashton Gate? I know I wouldnt!

as said, i would have him back tomorrow as we have absolutley nobody in our midfield who can tackle properly.

as said, i would have him back tomorrow as we have absolutley nobody in our midfield who can tackle properly.

As things are now? Seriously?

You honestly genuinely believe that Tommy could and should play for us in the Championship in our central midfield? You honestly think he's fit enough? Or mobile enough to command a position in our team?

I really think you're judgment is clouded by Tommy as a 19 year old and by his personality.

I'm surprised at how polarised this thread has become.

The bottom line is that Tommy is a naturally talented player whose personality flaws mean he has wasted his talent and prevented him enjoying the success that could have been his.

The last season we went up, I am in no doubt that Tommy Doherty - then just an exciting youngster breaking into the side - was one of the main reasons we got promotion. Yes, Goater got the goals and the accolades, but in particular away from home at places like Wigan and Carlisle, it was Tommy whose hard work and box-to-box style really broke up the opposition and turned us from a defending team into an attacking one in just a few seconds. Those who followed us away will have rated him higher than those who only saw him play at home. It seemed his grit and determination, which we all like to see in our players, meant he would be a star.

But it is equally indisputable that he didn't make the most of his talent. His fitness failed, he liked a drink and a fag, which in my opinion is just irresponsible in an athlete, and sadly although he made it into the Championship he never fulfilled a fraction of the talent he had.

I'm disappointed that some people on here seem to get very nasty about that, because personally I think it is tragic that a lad like Tommy with so many positive aspects to his personality and game could find himself on the proverbial scraphead so young having promised so much, when he should still be looking up the leagues rather than down. Yes, it's his own fault and he has to take responsibility for it. But we all have flaws, and sadly his have prevented us from enjoying him strut his stuff in the Premiership, which he undoubtledly could have done if his lack of respect for his own body had not got in the way.

I prefer to remember him as the player who got us promotion, and if he ever comes back to the Gate, either in an opposition shirt or in the stands, he'll get a bloody good reception from me.

Archived