IGNORED

Tommy Doc

Welcolm back to Ashton Gate for Tommy Doc in the first fixture of the season. In one of the papers this morning QPR want £ 100,000 for hi, so it is unlikely that he will be moving to Wycombe permently.

I will give him a good reception :englandsmile4wf:

Heard from someone who knows him this weekend that he has a contract offer from Wycombe and expects to sign for them permanently in a few weeks. I don't think QPR are asking for a fee. More likely they want to not have to pay up the remaining year of his deal there. Even if he doesn't move I doubt very much he will be in the QPR squad.

I really don't get why people love Doherty so much, i would give him a decent reception but at the end of the day he smoked turned up for trianing drunk when he is paid shed loads to perform on the ptich for us! Now don't get me wrong i don't mind him having a fag every now and again but it affected his fitness along with the drink.

He has proven that he CANT cut it at Championship level. Like i said i wouldnt give him a bad reception.

Would much rather have Russel/Noble/Skuse or Johnson in my midfield any day of the week, no disrespect to Tommy.

I would welcome 11 tommys into our team to be honest!

We'd never score, never make it outside the middle third of the pitch, and we'd all have to go off after 60 minutes.

Doherty was a great talent who simply didn't care enough look after himself and didn't have the winning mentality to succeed.

He'd never have been a Johnson player.

i would pay £100k to have him back, he is still a quality player. I will never forgive Tinnion for getting rid of him.

never forgive him for a getting rid of a fat, unfit waster who never fulfilled 10% of his potential!?!

"commitment" isnt shouting a lot and diving two footer into tackles when a player is in lunging range - its being professional and looking after yourself 365 days a year, training hard, not smoking, not abusing booze and being consistently too unfit to play. Think i'll pick a different hero, ta!

never forgive him for a getting rid of a fat, unfit waster who never fulfilled 10% of his potential!?!

"commitment" isnt shouting a lot and diving two footer into tackles when a player is in lunging range - its being professional and looking after yourself 365 days a year, training hard, not smoking, not abusing booze and being consistently too unfit to play. Think i'll pick a different hero, ta!

Come on who doesnt like a drink, are u telling me gazza and Bestie arent heroes....its players like that the fans can relate to!

Tommy along with Tin man are the best players we have had in the last 20 yrs!

Come on who doesnt like a drink, are u telling me gazza and Bestie arent heroes....its players like that the fans can relate to!

agreed. but at least Tinnion was the best player he possibly could have been for city - Tommy werent!

and yeah, i reckon some players get passes for being boozers and generally not working hard enough (Bestie, Gazza, Jacki!!) - but that's because they're proper geniuses, not tidy high championship-standard defensive midfielders!

agreed. but at least Tinnion was the best player he possibly could have been for city - Tommy werent!

and yeah, i reckon some players get passes for being boozers and generally not working hard enough (Bestie, Gazza, Jacki!!) - but that's because they're proper geniuses, not tidy high championship-standard defensive midfielders!

Yeah but liking a drink is the way he was born, thats like going mad with Tinman for lacking pace! they cant help it and made the best of what they got.....which was bloody good!!

Fair points of course.. but I reckon we have seen the best of the Doc.. mores to the point we surely have enough talent in midfield now so really cannot see the point of having him back.

I would welcome 11 tommys into our team to be honest!

Then we'd be hammered every game after 60 mins.He was always knackered after an hour every game.

On his day he was a class act but the bloke has wasted his talent by not looking after himself - simple as that.Thats why he was always injured.

Waste of space now.

Can I clear one thing up with you lot. Tommy doesnt smoke and isnt a alcholic, He drinks like most footballers do.

So get some facts before all you ######### start sprouting shit like you normally do.

Regards.

Also, he's easily the best midfielder City have had for the last couple of years, for one he doesnt bottle a challenge like a certain Lee Johnson does makes him look like a fairy.

Can I clear one thing up with you lot. Tommy doesnt smoke and isnt a alcholic, He drinks like most footballers do.

So get some facts before all you ######### start sprouting shit like you normally do.

Regards.

Also, he's easily the best midfielder City have had for the last couple of years, for one he doesnt bottle a challenge like a certain Lee Johnson does makes him look like a fairy.

You related to him by chance?

I do not think there is any question that we did not all admire his work rate when at the city and that most of us, me included, were a bit shocked when Tins moved him on.

However, where there is far more than superficial evidence or heresay into his habits it is ABSOLUTELY fair play to have a little dig. And, after all, it is only a little dig.. you don't need to get your boy scout knickers twisted by mouthing it off here.

p.s. friend of mine is a QPR fan and bumped into him in a local bar, fag in one hand pint in tother.. now, he could have been holding them for someone i admit but i have my doubts. so lighten up lad its only a bit of harmless fun and, as it happens, true.

• Admin

So you'd put Tommy above, Bob Taylor, Andy Cole, Rob Newman, Steve Neville, Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan, Gary Shelton, Shaun Taylor, Scott Murray, Leroy Rosenior, Mark Shail, Shaun Goater and thats just a few off the top of my head.......... all of whom, are, IMHO better players and examples of their profession than Tommy.

So you'd put Tommy above, Bob Taylor, Andy Cole, Rob Newman, Steve Neville, Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan, Gary Shelton, Shaun Taylor, Scott Murray, Leroy Rosenior, Mark Shail, Shaun Goater and thats just a few off the top of my head.......... all of whom, are, IMHO better players and examples of their profession than Tommy.

hang on, what about this fella!!!?!?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jktrpwl28-o

(and Leroy and Shail werent much more than 'fairly useful', surely? And Paul Agostino a much better player than Doc as well..)

• Admin
hang on, what about this fella!!!?!?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jktrpwl28-o

(and Leroy and Shail werent much more than 'fairly useful', surely? And Paul Agostino a much better player than Doc as well..)

It wasn't an exhaustive list, just a few players off the top of my head, Leroy's hat trick against Brentford and his defensive performance against Stockport (FA Cup 4th Round 1994) make him worthy of a mention, Shail was a solid able defender at our level.

I guess you could add, Wayne Allison, Martyn Scott, Darren Barnard and many others.

It wasn't an exhaustive list, just a few players off the top of my head, Leroy's hat trick against Brentford and his defensive performance against Stockport (FA Cup 4th Round 1994) make him worthy of a mention, Shail was a solid able defender at our level.

I guess you could add, Wayne Allison, Martyn Scott, Darren Barnard and many others.

fairynuff - just an excuse to post a jacki vid, really!

Then we'd be hammered every game after 60 mins.He was always knackered after an hour every game.

On his day he was a class act but the bloke has wasted his talent by not looking after himself - simple as that.Thats why he was always injured.

Waste of space now.

The same waste of space that was voted to the best 11 players in his division? One of the top 4 midfielders? must be sh*t

Don't make me laugh. Just a bit of a understatement that 10%.

He showed "commitment" to get back from his horrific injury that had him out for over a year cheers.

IMO, Tommy is one of the best players I've seen play for City.

Tommy's going to get ya' Tommy's going to get ya'!!!

Guest ashtonyate
Don't make me laugh. Just a bit of a understatement that 10%.

He showed "commitment" to get back from his horrific injury that had him out for over a year cheers.

IMO, Tommy is one of the best players I've seen play for City.

Tommy's going to get ya' Tommy's going to get ya'!!!

You must be very young then he was a thug no more than that, let his team and fans down by getting sent off to many times not one of my favorite players

as a 16 year old kid i still say that tommy doherty is my footballing hero.. ok sure he had his problems but when he was on thet pitch you couldnt tell.. he always put 100% in to tackles and he could pass the ball almost aswell as tinnion.. whenever tommy was out injured or suspended and joe burnell came in he just couldnt compete to the standard that tommy produced week in week out..

tommy doc is the greatest midfielder that ive seen at this club in the 10 years that ive been watching regulary and i doubt anyone in the city team at the moment could challenge or come remotely close to matching his standards!

Archived