IGNORED

Jennison In 4-4-2

Dave L

http://www.fourfourtwo.premiumtv.co.uk/pag...1031308,00.html

I see he shares my birthday, though I may be a year or two older :innocent06:

An interesting self-assessment: "I play a bit like I'm like a mix between Ryan Giggs and Thierry Henry"

Much as I think he's a great prospect, at the moment I'd tend to put the accent on "a bit".

Did anyone notice how he described is favourite goal as..

"Russell put me thriough, i beat a few players and then chipped the goaly"

Bit of exageration there, bless him. Surely he just ran onto the pass and lobbed the keeper? I'm not saying it wasnt a good goal just he didnt beat any players...

At least he says GJ has been helping him on this year. I think GJ knows how to deal with young players pretty well, so think JMW should come good if he keeps his confidence and takes his oppitunities when they come. My only hope is that he decides to play out wide a lot more, cause thought he played some of his better games out wide left last year.

I think GJ knows how to deal with young players pretty well

I beg to differ. Grubb, Wring, Benyon and Artus' treatment, not only what the public knows about, shows this.

• Admin
I beg to differ. Grubb, Wring, Benyon and Artus' treatment, not only what the public knows about, shows this.

Artus is still here but with regards to the other 3, let's see how many of them spend any period of their career at a higher level than City at their future clubs (or even at the same level as City) before blaming Johnson for them not making it here.

For instance, Benyon received a lot of press on here when scoring 6 in 12 for St Albans but his 3 in 15 for Crawley (a better side in the same division) in his next loan spell seems to have conveniently been passed over.

Artus is still here but with regards to the other 3, let's see how many of them spend any period of their career at a higher level than City at their future clubs (or even at the same level as City) before blaming Johnson for them not making it here.

I'm simply going by what they've said directly to people I know and trust.

Aaah Madge, you have to question that Jenno is a left sided player, so is Plummer so I believe, then in the squad we also have Wilson and arguably Jamie Mac who can play left wing - plus we are looking to bring in this german left winger...

When will the young 'uns ever get a chance? When Tristan was questionning his future, I couldnt blame him. If players are injured, we seem to loan them in.

GJ seems to like the hungry players, but from the level above - but I really do hop that he knows or is learning how to work with an academy and younger players.

For instance, Benyon received a lot of press on here when scoring 6 in 12 for St Albans but his 3 in 15 for Crawley (a better side in the same division) in his next loan spell seems to have conveniently been passed over.

As you quite rightly say, people want Johnson to start young players in the CHAMPIONSHIP with an overall scoring record of 1 in 3 (which is average at any level anyway) in the CONFERENCE. How could our manager pass up such an opportunity? He must be crazy. Plus they told Ron that they had been treated badly so that means they must be good players. There seems to be a school of thought on here that being young is a more important reason for selection than actually having any ability!!

As you quite rightly say, people want Johnson to start young players in the CHAMPIONSHIP with an overall scoring record of 1 in 3 (which is average at any level anyway) in the CONFERENCE. How could our manager pass up such an opportunity? He must be crazy. Plus they told Ron that they had been treated badly so that means they must be good players. There seems to be a school of thought on here that being young is a more important reason for selection than actually having any ability!!

Maybe if you didn't put words into my mouth you wouldn't look so stupid.

I've never said that Benyon should be a starter in The Championship, nor any other Youth player we have. Find me a post where I do and I'll gladly say I'm wrong.

However, Benyon's "1 in 3" record in the Conference, even if it is "average at that level anyway", may have served us better than the collective 4 goals we saw from Jevons & Showunmi between February and May. And does it not occur to you that Grubb or Wring may be a better bet on the right wing than Cole Skuse?

• Admin
Maybe if you didn't put words into my mouth you wouldn't look so stupid.

I've never said that Benyon should be a starter in The Championship, nor any other Youth player we have. Find me a post where I do and I'll gladly say I'm wrong.

However, Benyon's "1 in 3" record in the Conference, even if it is "average at that level anyway", may have served us better than the collective 4 goals we saw from Jevons & Showunmi between February and May. And does it not occur to you that Grubb or Wring may be a better bet on the right wing than Cole Skuse?

Personally, I wouldn't go round labelling people as stupid if I'd just completely failed to comprehend what they have just written.

Greebo has not put words in your mouth, he said "Plus they told Ron that they had been treated badly so that means they must be good players" which tallies well with your previous post of "I'm simply going by what they've said directly to people I know and trust".

The bit about wanting Benyon to be a starter was a more general point, the clue here was in the use of the words "people want Johnson to start young players".

However, it's nice to see after supposedly putting words in your mouth, you spend the rest of your post justifying why exactly Johnson should do this.

I do see a stupid person on this thread, but in my opinion it's not Greebo.

That interview does come across as arrogant, and certainly from what I saw of his last season he hasn't set the world alight. Although he's shown glimpses of it (Brighton setting up Scott Brown and setting up Enoch in JPT at Forest) I'd like to see more of him next season and hope that Johnson will help get it out of him whilst keeping his feet firmly on the ground.

Admittedly, I'm not overly sure about Johnson's handling of our academy products. I'm not sure that his man management approach would always be suitable for dealing with young players that think they're the next Henry/Giggs. Nor do I claim to have been man managed by GJ, I'm only referring to whats been said about the way he deals with players.

However you can't argue with the results he's got, he's finally got us out of League One after many had tried and failed. As long as results go our way I won't doubt him, but I would like to see more of our young players certainly being favored above emergency loans this time round.

Personally, I wouldn't go round labelling people as stupid if I'd just completely failed to comprehend what they have just written.

Greebo has not put words in your mouth, he said "Plus they told Ron that they had been treated badly so that means they must be good players" which tallies well with your previous post of "I'm simply going by what they've said directly to people I know and trust".

The bit about wanting Benyon to be a starter was a more general point, the clue here was in the use of the words "people want Johnson to start young players".

However, it's nice to see after supposedly putting words in your mouth, you spend the rest of your post justifying why exactly Johnson should do this.

I don't think that Johnson should start young players, just because they're young, I've never said that. However he had a 24-man squad at his disposal, and chose a defensive midfielder to play on the right-wing on numerous occasions ahead of 2 natural right wingers, and as I said above with Andy Smith. Regardless of age, the more appropriate player for the position would surely be the better choice.

• Admin
I don't think that Johnson should start young players, just because they're young, I've never said that. However he had a 24-man squad at his disposal, and chose a defensive midfielder to play on the right-wing on numerous occasions ahead of 2 natural right wingers, and as I said above with Andy Smith. Regardless of age, the more appropriate player for the position would surely be the better choice.

Not if he thought they were shite (which as boss he is entitled to do).

Not if he thought they were shite (which as boss he is entitled to do).

If he thought they were shite then why did he decide to give them Professional contracts only 3 months previously? If they're not going to get into their natural position ahead of a defensive midfielder, then when are they going to get in?

• Admin
If he thought they were shite then why did he decide to give them Professional contracts only 3 months previously? If they're not going to get into their natural position ahead of a defensive midfielder, then when are they going to get in?

Because they had shown signs that they might progress.

You need to understand that just because a youngster has signed his first professional deal, it does not mean he is automatically ready for first team football.

.....and when they are good enough so that a defensive midfielder doesn't have to cover for their lack of readiness.

Because they had shown signs that they might progress.

You need to understand that just because a youngster has signed his first professional deal, it does not mean he is automatically ready for first team football.

.....and when they are good enough so that a defensive midfielder doesn't have to cover for their lack of readiness.

Considering that Wring & Grubb signed 1 year deals, it would imply Johnson either thought that they were very near to being ready for the first team, as they only had 9 months worth of games to play in before their contracts expired, or that Johnson was not sure whether they would make the step-up as JMW has, which is why they had shorter contracts. As this is the case, and they made a grand total of 0 appearances between them during the last 9 months, when we brought in Cole Skuse & Andy Smith to fill their positions, it begs the question as to why Johnson offered them professional contracts at all, other than mistaken judgement.

• Admin
Considering that Wring & Grubb signed 1 year deals, it would imply Johnson either thought that they were very near to being ready for the first team, as they only had 9 months worth of games to play in before their contracts expired, or that Johnson was not sure whether they would make the step-up as JMW has, which is why they had shorter contracts. As this is the case, and they made a grand total of 0 appearances between them during the last 9 months, when we brought in Cole Skuse & Andy Smith to fill their positions, it begs the question as to why Johnson offered them professional contracts at all, other than mistaken judgement.

A non-costly gamble.

Are you being deliberately naive?

A non-costly gamble.

Are you being deliberately naive?

A non-costly gamble for who? Wring will be 21 in October, and has 1 substitute appearance to his name - in May 2005. Johnson was appointed 5 months later, and he hasn't seen the first team again since, or even been loaned out to anyone to gain experience that could have put him in the 'shop window'.

Unlike you, Johnson gets to watch and evaluate the players in training every day of the week, not just on matchday. He'll have given the young lads contracts so that they can prove themselves in training and then possibly in matches. Clearly they didn't do enough to give Johnson the confidence to select them. Skuse and Smith on the other hand performed well in the first team, as proved by the fact that we won promotion.

Archived