IGNORED

How Would The Current Squad Do?

reddogkev

Here's a question for you, if GJ failed with all of his covert transfer targerts (bear with me, this is just hypothetical), then how do you think the current City squad would fare in the championship?

It is obvious that our city attack appears the weakest link of the team - but with the addition of the very highly rated Tristan Plummer, we could have more options then we imagine - especially if David Noble reprises his role of playing behind a front striker - meaning we would only have one center forward spot to fill, which would hopefully be a fully fit and firing Stevie B.

I reckon with the current squad, our fantastic team spirit and solid defence would see us sitting safe in about 14/15th place.

Do you agree or disagree?

With no new signings then I think we will struggle but survive... Just.

However with a few additions to the squad we could be looking at a comfortable mid table finish.

I think we would be relegation fodder.

I'm severely worried about the coming season, I'm worried about the whole team, especially after last time we went up !

Worried about our full backs, worried we haven't a talismatic experienced anchor man in midfield, also worried about our lack of pace, apart form the wingers, and someone to stick the ball in the net !

Mind you if Barnsley stayed up..

That's also my view.

Defence - quality

Midfield - reasonable

Attack - weak without Brooker

seconded. new recuits withstanding, i'd say certain players need good seasons in midfield and up front to give us hope. not just brooker, but betsy and wilson need to show us a lot more on a consistant basis.

JMW also needs to show the sort of sophomore improvement we've seen from other youngsters with real potential in the past. if he's going to be the anything near our next lita or even cotts he's gotta be pushing the more estabilshed forwards each week, not waiting for his oppitunities, be it on the left wing or up front.

It would be a real struggle imo.The current City squad don't have enough quality in depth as last season showed with so many lack lustre performances.

City might just avoid the drop but it would be very tight.

Even with 4 or 5 new players I reckon City will do well to finish in the top half.

Relegation candidates,real question marks surround half of our squad.Some will surprise us and handle the step-up in their stride,some will fail because of a lack of talent,for some it may just be a little too late in their careers.

Interesting to see quite which boxes the following will fall into: Jevons,Betsy,Showumni,Wilson,Russell,Orr,Johnson,Carey,Basso,and Murray.........even more interesting Brooker? For so many relatively seasoned pro's there is very little championship football under their belts.Most do seem to be good reliable,honest first division material.

As everyone points out the real concern appears to be where the goals will come from,defensively we look fairly capable.Even with a 20 league goal striker in Akinbiyi we still got bombed out last time around.The standard is higher,I seem to remember Tinnion did not even get his name on the scoresheet once in the entire season.

No matter how good a manager maybe real talent is still the main ingredient needed in any walk of business.

We would be relegated.

In this division our defence is now average, our midfield is average and our forwards are weak, this is a massive step up for a lot of our squad and we wont survive with what we have now.

We need to strengthen this squad no questions, we haven't been in this league for 9 years and things have moved on in leaps since our last visit, 4 - 5 players are needed including 2 forwards with experience.

That's also my view.

Defence - quality

Midfield - reasonable

Attack - weak without Brooker

As Brooker actually played in the Championship? If not how do you know our attack will be weaker without him. Personally if he went I would not be too bothered as long as a recruit was forthcoming.

Brooker is a liability regards injuries etc. I don't think we would struggle without him IMO

Spine of the team:

Basso - Excellent in League one - not sure about championship

Carey - Excellent in League one - should be strong enough for championship

Midfielder - erm struggling as to who is/was spine of team in league one/championship

Attacker - Brooker - good for league one - no one really there for championship.

Overall our team spirit and enthusiasm and determination was enough for league one but I don't think that these excellent qualities will carry us too far in the championship.

No changes to squad 4th from bottom or better (hopefully)

Straight back down without a doubt.

If you take BCFC's squads for each of the last ten seasons and rank the quality of each group of players, I don't think that this group would even sit in the top half.

Like Reading this season and Wigan the season before, Johnson has managed to create a decent team from a reasonable squad of players. This team spirit won't be enough in the Championship.

don't think we will be definatly be relegated, we do have some championship standard players in carey, mccombe, brooker, mccalister, and some who are still devoloping into great players skuse, keogh, jmw maybe. Most important thing is that we are very well organised just lack quality in the final third!

i think the step up is going to shock some of our current squad

last season was fantastic and all credit to the players, i just think a few may sruggle to get to grips with the CCC

better defences will mean we have to get a better return from ALL the strikers next season, not just the odd one or two

(think we need to sign at least 1 striker, maybe 2, but a fit again Brooker would be like a new player)

midfield should get more time on the ball and hence be slightly less rushed. Hopefully this will encourage better build up play

the midfield were great last year in helping the team out with goals (as were the defense)

the defense i think is good enough without any injuries, just concerned at lack of depth

(Louis, McCoombe, McCalister, and Orr with Keough as back up all great, just not sure who else could do the job week in week out

i like Fontaine as well but prone to mistakes when played as a full back (far better as centre half IMO)

Goalies shouldnt be a problem when Weale gets fit again. 2 good goalies and a backup is all you need generally

yes Basso makes mistakes, but all goalies do even at the top level, its just that they usually get punished more cause the balls ups tend to be in the goal areas

i think 3-4 players in will suit and hopefully get us to somewhere between 15-20 th place

lets be positive, it could be slightly higher, but being realistic i think this area of the final table would signal a good 1st season back in the chamionship

:goingup:

The main difference you will notice at this level is that the mistakes will be punished far more often. As good as our defence was for most of last season, errors were still made.

Look at the Champ table for last season and you will see that even teams in the top 10 had conceded quite a lot of goals. We will need to be able to fight fire with fire to survive at this level.

Guest ashtonyate
i think the step up is going to shock some of our current squad

last season was fantastic and all credit to the players, i just think a few may sruggle to get to grips with the CCC

better defences will mean we have to get a better return from ALL the strikers next season, not just the odd one or two

(think we need to sign at least 1 striker, maybe 2, but a fit again Brooker would be like a new player)

midfield should get more time on the ball and hence be slightly less rushed. Hopefully this will encourage better build up play

the midfield were great last year in helping the team out with goals (as were the defense)

the defense i think is good enough without any injuries, just concerned at lack of depth

(Louis, McCoombe, McCalister, and Orr with Keough as back up all great, just not sure who else could do the job week in week out

i like Fontaine as well but prone to mistakes when played as a full back (far better as centre half IMO)

Goalies shouldnt be a problem when Weale gets fit again. 2 good goalies and a backup is all you need generally

yes Basso makes mistakes, but all goalies do even at the top level, its just that they usually get punished more cause the balls ups tend to be in the goal areas

i think 3-4 players in will suit and hopefully get us to somewhere between 15-20 th place

lets be positive, it could be slightly higher, but being realistic i think this area of the final table would signal a good 1st season back in the chamionship

:goingup:

I think Orr will struggle and can see Carey ending up right back I still think we are 5 players short of us going back down again 4 if the sprout signs for us

The main difference you will notice at this level is that the mistakes will be punished far more often. As good as our defence was for most of last season, errors were still made.

Look at the Champ table for last season and you will see that even teams in the top 10 had conceded quite a lot of goals. We will need to be able to fight fire with fire to survive at this level.

yea **** it lets burn the *****

I'm not so sure, think back to playing M'boro and Coventry, our boys really showed they can hold their own against much better class of sides, and in both matches we had a few injurys too.

I think Basso, Carey, Fontaine, Keogh are SOLID, throw the two Mc's into the equation and you have a substantial defence, but not good enough for the Championship, we need pace on the flanks to stop these sprinters we will come up against.

Johnson is our best player imho, and in the Championship he will prove himself ever further along with Noble and Skusey.

I hope Myrie-Williams to improve further,he still very young so we cant rely on him alone for pace, and Scotty although still with some speed will not get any quicker, but more than able to do another job for us this season.

Brooker will give allways give 100%, so happy we get to see him finally strut his stuff in the Championship for us, been waiting long for this day..

But we went up, with out Brooker...

And didn't with him.

True.

But the rest of the team was much different, under different management with him.

Plus we limped over the finish line, with Brooks playing more I think we'd have been far more comfortable.

Without any new players I think we'd lose too many games 1-0.

We don't have the strike force to break through Championship defences often enough nor the wingers to put enough ball into the box.

However, GJ seems to believe this too from the targets he's apparently going for.

Archived