IGNORED

Hello From America

Porkopolis

Hello all,

I'm a new City supporter from Cincinnati in the States. I've always loved English football but never truly picked a side. I started following City earlier this year when I learned I'd be spending two weeks in August singing at Wells Cathedral. I'll be in Bristol for a few days as well. I figured, hey lets check out some local clubs and proceeded to find matches and highlights. The internet is a beautiful thing for a foreign football fan. Anyway, I watched a few City matches and was hooked. I know my support is not the same as someone from the area, but I am in love with the club and am thrilled to have found this board. I look forward to hanging out here and hope I can contribute my own unique spin.

Are there any other Yanks on here? If so, I'd love to chat. I follow Columbus Crew of MLS, painful as that may be. I've been with them as long as the league has existed. Watching Bristol City this season reminded me of when the black and gold used to actually win matches.

Hello all,

I'm a new City supporter from Cincinnati in the States. I've always loved English football but never truly picked a side. I started following City earlier this year when I learned I'd be spending two weeks in August singing at Wells Cathedral. I'll be in Bristol for a few days as well. I figured, hey lets check out some local clubs and proceeded to find matches and highlights. The internet is a beautiful thing for a foreign football fan. Anyway, I watched a few City matches and was hooked. I know my support is not the same as someone from the area, but I am in love with the club and am thrilled to have found this board. I look forward to hanging out here and hope I can contribute my own unique spin.

Are there any other Yanks on here? If so, I'd love to chat. I follow Columbus Crew of MLS, painful as that may be. I've been with them as long as the league has existed. Watching Bristol City this season reminded me of when the black and gold used to actually win matches.

Bonjour, spent many a weekend in Aurora, Indiana and a few games at Cynergy Field watching the Bengals (against the Steelers comes to mind). Welcome aboard old chap !! Goin up !!

Hello all,

Welcome, and explain the name; PORKOPOLIS please.

City since 2007 or City 1907 makes no difference............City fans worldwide are very very welcome!!!

Now come on then, sing us a song...... :preacher:

Hello all,

welcome to the forum my good man.

i remember being Columbus Crew on Championship Manager two years ago. It was an old one and Stern John was playing for you.

theres a lot of bristol city fans around the world so your not the only one :winner_third_h4h:

Welcome, and explain the name; PORKOPOLIS please.

Porkopolis was a nickname for the City of Cincinnati in the 19th Century. It was the main meat packing center for the United States; due to its many German immigrants, the primary meat was pork. Hence, the nickname.

To the poster who asked if I support the Cincinnati Reds: YES! I am a season ticket holder and go to almost all the games. Unfortunately they are the worst team in the National League this year. Oh well, it's still the best baseball in the world.

Porkopolis was a nickname for the City of Cincinnati in the 19th Century. It was the main meat packing center for the United States; due to its many German immigrants, the primary meat was pork. Hence, the nickname.

To the poster who asked if I support the Cincinnati Reds: YES! I am a season ticket holder and go to almost all the games. Unfortunately they are the worst team in the National League this year. Oh well, it's still the best baseball in the world.

Surley you can't be as bad as the Washington Nationals. I thought they were the worst in the National League and KC were the worst in the American League

Also don't you have Ken Griffey Jnr?

Surley you can't be as bad as the Washington Nationals. I thought they were the worst in the National League and KC were the worst in the American League

Also don't you have Ken Griffey Jnr?

I watched the Reds drop 3 out of 4 to the Nationals last month. We really are that bad. Two reasons: relief pitching and a dumb manager. Tonight our bullpen blew another lead late in the game to the Oakland A's. In the same game, Narron (our manager) pulled a power hitting rookie in favor of an over the hill never-has-been because he was "1-1 lifetime against this guy." Wow--Narron just used one at bat as a sample size to justify replacing the third best hitter on our team with the worst hitter on our team. Speechless, really.

Yes, we have Griffey and he is having a stellar year. If everyone on the team played like him we would be unbeatable. He is slowing down due to age and his defense has suffered, but he still hits like the 20 year version of himself. If you ever have a chance to see him in person, do it. You won't regret it, as he has the sweetest swing I've ever seen. Sadly, there is rumor of a player trade to free up salary for next year, so he may not be here much longer.

Hi, another stateside fan here...

While I am not technically a yank yet, still an expat it is great to see others here, so welcome.

Regarding the Washington Nationals (my local baseball team), while they may be completely useless, they are quickly building a new stadium...hmmm doesn't that sound like another team close to Bristol???

Also with all the transfer talk going on right now, I am surprised no-one has mentioned any US-based players. A striker that comes to mind is Brian Ching, but he is probably too much into surfing to move to Bristol...Besides imagine what the fans would do if they had a Hawaiian in the team!!! I also wonder if much of the transfer speculation that appears in the national press originates from frivolous suggestions like this...

Also with all the transfer talk going on right now, I am surprised no-one has mentioned any US-based players. A striker that comes to mind is Brian Ching, but he is probably too much into surfing to move to Bristol...Besides imagine what the fans would do if they had a Hawaiian in the team!!! I also wonder if much of the transfer speculation that appears in the national press originates from frivolous suggestions like this...

Ching would be a great addition, and playing in the Championship would improve his skills for the USNT. He doesn't get to surf much in Texas anyway. FC Dallas striker Dominic Oduro comes to mind as a realistic option. He is an exciting young striker from Ghana who has made much more noise than his ex-compatriot Freddy Adu. Championship football is a step above MLS in my opinion, but the best MLS players could do well in any league (see McBride, Howard, etc.)

By the way, I used to live in the same neighborhood as Brian McBride and run into him at the grocery store every week. A truly nice guy and I wish the US would produce more players like him.

How about starting a rumor about some US-based players on the main forum (note the "correct" spelling...) and see if any papers pick it up!!!

I used to run into Bruce Arena at the local gym by my old office by the way, didn't speak to him though.

Very true indeed. I just don't like teams moving around! :disapointed2se: Even if it is the American way... Actually what I hate more is unneccesary changing of names... Los Angeles Angels of Ahaheim anyone!?

I don't know, I'm rather amused by Milton Keynes Dons myself. :englandflag:

I agree with you, I hate when teams move around. The local American football team (Bengals) threatened to move if we didn't build them a new stadium with tax dollars. We called their bluff, and they built it on their own.

Very true indeed. I just don't like teams moving around! :disapointed2se: Even if it is the American way... Actually what I hate more is unneccesary changing of names... Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim anyone!?

There is a long list. The Giants of San Fransisco used to play in New York as did the Dodgers of LA (Brooklyn). The Braves of Atlanta used to play in Milwaukee and before that Boston. The Browns of Clevland aren't really the Browns as they moved to Baltimore but the NFL let the new Browns keep the old Browns stats the Raiders of Oakland moved to LA but then moved back to Oakland. Anymore anyone, MLB or NFL?

There is a long list. The Giants of San Fransisco used to play in New York as did the Dodgers of LA (Brooklyn). The Braves of Atlanta used to play in Milwaukee and before that Boston. The Browns of Clevland aren't really the Browns as they moved to Baltimore but the NFL let the new Browns keep the old Browns stats the Raiders of Oakland moved to LA but then moved back to Oakland. Anymore anyone, MLB or NFL?

As you said, the list seems endless, but here are a few more...

MLB:

Washington Senators became the Texas Rangers in the early 70's (that was later was owned by a consortium headed by "W" :ranting: )

NFL:

Baltimore Colts became the Indianapolis Colts in the mid 80's

Houston Oilers became the Tennessee Titans in the late 90's

Boston Redskins became the Washington Redskins in the 1930's

I expect there are many, many more...

Ching would be a great addition, and playing in the Championship would improve his skills for the USNT. He doesn't get to surf much in Texas anyway. FC Dallas striker Dominic Oduro comes to mind as a realistic option. He is an exciting young striker from Ghana who has made much more noise than his ex-compatriot Freddy Adu. Championship football is a step above MLS in my opinion, but the best MLS players could do well in any league (see McBride, Howard, etc.)

By the way, I used to live in the same neighborhood as Brian McBride and run into him at the grocery store every week. A truly nice guy and I wish the US would produce more players like him.

what I can't understand is why your lot signed Miglioranzi, he used to be at Swindon a few years back and was shocking! can't believe he is playing over their now!

Hello all,

Been to Vegas, took longer to get through security than the actual holiday was, still understandable but just slightly o.t.t.

Bristol born Bristol bred but determined to see as much of the world as poss. Cheers and welcome; have a nice day. :farmer:

what I can't understand is why your lot signed Miglioranzi, he used to be at Swindon a few years back and was shocking! can't believe he is playing over their now!

He has been an absolute disaster. It looks like Crew management said "hmm, who is the worst overrated cast away we can find...Oh, I know, let's sign Miglioranzi! That'll pack the stand on saturday afternoon." We Crew supporters can't stand him. He has that special ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (if he bothers to move that much), and we would love to jettison him to anyone dumb enough to pay the transfer fee or arrange a player swap.

He has been an absolute disaster. It looks like Crew management said "hmm, who is the worst overrated cast away we can find...Oh, I know, let's sign Miglioranzi! That'll pack the stand on saturday afternoon." We Crew supporters can't stand him. He has that special ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (if he bothers to move that much), and we would love to jettison him to anyone dumb enough to pay the transfer fee or arrange a player swap.
Try asking Bristol Rovers. He seems to fit the bill perfectly for them.

Hello all,

Welcome abord

Its nice to see an Amercain call it football and to support City, the more the merrier

The matches I watched were the two Coventry matches and 'Boro, all in the FA Cup. Those were the only matches I saw in their entirety; everything else was highlights on Sky Sports or the internet. The loss in the FA Cup was thrilling, even if though it didn't end well. One of the more exciting contests I've seen this year.

The matches I watched were the two Coventry matches and 'Boro, all in the FA Cup. Those were the only matches I saw in their entirety; everything else was highlights on Sky Sports or the internet. The loss in the FA Cup was thrilling, even if though it didn't end well. One of the more exciting contests I've seen this year.

Don't you just love the Fox Soccer Channel...they even showed City's FA Cup game against Harrogate Railway live in the states a few years ago!!!

Don't you just love the Fox Soccer Channel...they even showed City's FA Cup game against Harrogate Railway live in the states a few years ago!!!

I do love it. They show some pretty random teams in the first few rounds of the Cup. When I move next month I'm getting Dish Network w/Dish Latino, which carries Gol TV, Azteca, Telefutura, HDNet, Canal Plus, and ESPN Deportes. I'm probably going to spring for Setanta, too. Football heaven!

Archived