IGNORED

Nottingham Back Pages

Port Said Red

Just back from working in Nottingham where I saw the back page of their local rag. I know some were suggesting this guy as a target so I thought I would share it.

They are in talks with Commons over a sizeable new contract but, if he doesn't sign, they want offers of between £1m and £1.5m !

They claim they have not had offers from Wolves or Leicester as reported but one championship club had "made an enquiry". If it was SL, I hope he said "thanks, but no thanks". I know they have to pay for their fancy white elephant, sorry, New Stadium but that seems a ridiculous price for a guy with one year left on his contract.

He's out of contract and either doesn't qualify for a fee or if he does the fee would be a pittance because he wasn't trained at Forest.

They will get nothing or next to it and any talk of £1m in their local rags is the chairman trying to scrounge an offer out of someone.

Any club wanting to sign Commons would be going to his agent not Forest anyway.

He's out of contract and either doesn't qualify for a fee or if he does the fee would be a pittance because he wasn't trained at Forest.

They will get nothing or next to it and any talk of £1m in their local rags is the chairman trying to scrounge an offer out of someone.

According to the Sun today "Kris Commons has been offered an escape route from Nottingham Forest by Championship newboys Bristol City"

I think "Proper Job" must be right, the article did mention him being 23 and if he is out of contract that can be the only reason they are talking about fees. I thought the article said he had a year left as well, maybe I misread it. Either way, is he really worth that sum? The way Forest fans talk about him he seems less than consistent.

According to the Sun today "Kris Commons has been offered an escape route from Nottingham Forest by Championship newboys Bristol City"

The Sun? You disappoint me Nic........ :disapointed2se:

If we sign Commons l will makelove to even single on of you on this forum........

Personally I am hoping we sign Sproule instead then! :fingerscrossed:

I think "Proper Job" must be right, the article did mention him being 23 and if he is out of contract that can be the only reason they are talking about fees. I thought the article said he had a year left as well, maybe I misread it. Either way, is he really worth that sum? The way Forest fans talk about him he seems less than consistent.

Fees for players decided by tribunal are largely based on training costs. Since Forest didn't train him it would be less than 100k.

And anyway, under 24 does not mean fee. The entitlement to a fee ends at the latter of the players 23rd birthday or the end of the season during which it occurs.

Fees for players decided by tribunal are largely based on training costs. Since Forest didn't train him it would be less than 100k.

And anyway, under 24 does not mean fee. The entitlement to a fee ends at the latter of the players 23rd birthday or the end of the season during which it occurs.

Well that's good news then if we are interested he would be certainly a good squad player at that price, their Chairman clearly doesn't understand the rules and could be in for a bit of shock when he finds out.

Another thing that surprised me in the article was the claim that the paid £600,000 to get him from Stoke. I didn't remember it being as much as that and would suggest that he would be seen as a bit of an under-achiever at that price.

Well that's good news then if we are interested he would be certainly a good squad player at that price, their Chairman clearly doesn't understand the rules and could be in for a bit of shock when he finds out.

I'm sure he does understand the rules and is hoping that he can get a decent fee despite them - otherwise he wouldn't be spouting off in the paper about it.

Another thing that surprised me in the article was the claim that the paid £600,000 to get him from Stoke. I didn't remember it being as much as that and would suggest that he would be seen as a bit of an under-achiever at that price.

Yep I'd tend to agree but remember that Forest have some expectations of players that are vastly more unrealistic than even ours. Commons certainly has the ability, if we were to sign him I'm sure GJ could get the consistency out of him.

just had a quick look, God I'm bored! It was £300,000 upfront then another £200,000 depending on appearances and Forest getting promotion!!!! :rofl2br: There is also a 15% sell on clause.

So if the chairman adds that all together and disregards the fact they weren't promoted, then add a bit more for inflation then there he has his £600,000!!!

I just wish Commo would make his mind up one way or the other, this saga has been dragging on way too long now. A local lad, Forest fan, playing in League One - had we got promotion last season he would have signed by now. I understand that he wants to prove himself at a higher level but he needs to take a long hard look at himself as to why Forest are still in League One because he was certainly one of our 'big names' who underachieved last season. He only really showed his full potential in Forest's last 6 or so games and call me cynical but this was purely to put himself in the shop window.

Should he sign for City, you can expect the following:

Return from pre-season overweight

5 - 10 fantastic performances (usually Sky games - He seems to turn it on in front of the cameras!)

10 - 15 games where he is actually on the pitch but wearing his invisible suit

10 - 15 games missed because of injury (usually hamstring)

3 - 4 wonderful goals (normally free-kicks from 25 - 30 yards)

I wish the lad well because he really is a nice bloke but for me he has turned into a bit of a 'billy-big-bollox'. I'm sure if he were to keep himself fit and lose a few pounds he could be a real talent and be less injury prone.

I can't see him joining you guys to be honest...he seems like a bit of a family man, and he's recently bought a new house in the area with his fiance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he will stay with us either, but if he was to leave I think he'd choose a midlands club if possible.

thanks for link chaps.

redhyde...if you are right about the other tit bits being accurate it makes an interesting thought. Forest Forever seems to think he's not all what he's cracked up to be.

Do we need him more to the point?

Well the thing is, all of the stories were reported the day before or have already happened today. Except the Kris Commons one. Why they'd throw a unsubstantiated random rumour in with the others doesn't make much sense to me as there are more important things they could have used with that one line...

Commons if bothered is great for the championship, he was linked heavily with the Prem but chose to first go to then stay with forest as they went down. And we know what Johnson is like, Commons will have to seem pretty bothered to play for us otherwise he won't be signed!

And he's a good LEFT winger! Of course we'd like him! Wages/Attitude/Competition is the potential issue. I think he's better than Jarvis and he went to Wolves so there must be a market for Commons.

Well the thing is, all of the stories were reported the day before or have already happened today. Except the Kris Commons one. Why they'd throw a unsubstantiated random rumour in with the others doesn't make much sense to me as there are more important things they could have used with that one line...

Commons if bothered is great for the championship, he was linked heavily with the Prem but chose to first go to then stay with forest as they went down. And we know what Johnson is like, Commons will have to seem pretty bothered to play for us otherwise he won't be signed!

And he's a good LEFT winger! Of course we'd like him! Wages/Attitude/Competition is the potential issue. I think he's better than Jarvis and he went to Wolves so there must be a market for Commons.

Interesting RedHyde, very interesting. you certainly seem to know your stuff. I did a google search on the lad and see that Wolves themselves had tabled a 400k bid previously. One would suppose Forest want quite a bit more but its all about timing and with Jarvis going to Wolves and other teams not exactly beating down the City ground door it could indeed have some substance.. I also know Stoke were sniffing around as well from that google search so we shall see.

BTW.. you or anybody know the latest on the Grote? assume we have backed off after 3 apparent failed bids

Agreed, and GJ is the man to get consistency and discipline into his repertoire, Scotty and Bradley Orr have become far more consistent players under GJ and he saved Noble's career, imo.

Archived