IGNORED

One For The Accountants

Br 1st ol

Forest were the first team to pay £1 million for a player (Trevor Francis) and he was hailed as the million pound player. That figure included VAT though, so Brum only received £900,000ish as VAT was only 8 or 10% at the time.

Absolutely, the VAT element is inconsquential in most business to business transcations as it is rare for one of the parties to be non VAT registered.

It isn't inconsequential when you're a one man band and you have to spend a day or two every quarter doing your VAT return :noexpression: I never did like Maths.

It isn't inconsequential when you're a one man band and you have to spend a day or two every quarter doing your VAT return :noexpression: I never did like Maths.

He complaineth he earns too much money :preacher:

But you are quite correct and the buggers have far too many powers, more so than the Police! :bruce_h4h:

Remember years ago, had a VAT Inspection, two of em turned up. It was in the days when written petrol receipts were the norm. One of em looked at me and asked if I bought me fags with the petrol. In my most innocent voiceI replied that I didn't smoke cigarrettes thank you very much. Now if he'd have asked about me cigars. :innocent06:

Intersting accounting fact (If there is such a thing) -

Footballers are the only example of "human assets" which are depreciated. For those who don't know what that means - say you buy a car for £4k and own it for four years, after which it is worthless, it would have deprecieted by £1k per year.

In the same way, if you buy a player for £2M on a 2 year contract, he is assumed (post bosman) to be worthless after that time, so has depreciated by £1M per year.

What's unusual about this is that most businesses treat staff (in the accounting sense) as overheads rather than assets

God I'm bored.

Archived