IGNORED

Tinman Hangs Up His Boots

farmeronecow

Totally agree but the likes of you and me get shot down in flames for daring to question why a player who started out at a Premiership club played season after season in the second and third tiers of English football with not so much as an enquiry from top grade clubs. Tinnion was a good lower league player who was content to pick up his no doubt decent wages at Bristol City for many years. A one trick pony, in my opinion, whose one trick to be fair (delivery when in space) was excellent but who never had the other abilities required to make it at the very top level. Other players, like Gerry Gow, had far more all round ability than Tinnion ever did and, as a consequence, played most of their careers in the top division.

I think that Brian was a City legend. He gave consistently good performances over a long period of time.

His ability was never fully recognised.

The image of the Swansea dugout was a hauntingly sad image.

As for Gerry Gow, an undoubted great, didn't he spend 11 seasons at City and as a consequence had no opportunity to play most of his career in the top division?

Adios Brian, hope you get the chance for a pitch applause session, you would more than deserve it.

Nonsense!!

What a shock, one of the Bailey brothers hating on Tinnion again. Thankfully you're in the minority so you'll just have to put down your unquestionable anti-Tinnion bias to idiocy. I am intrigued though... did he nob your sister or something? Was it one of the three of you who made those phone calls?

Totally agree but the likes of you and me get shot down in flames for daring to question why a player who started out at a Premiership club played season after season in the second and third tiers of English football with not so much as an enquiry from top grade clubs. Tinnion was a good lower league player who was content to pick up his no doubt decent wages at Bristol City for many years. A one trick pony, in my opinion, whose one trick to be fair (delivery when in space) was excellent but who never had the other abilities required to make it at the very top level. Other players, like Gerry Gow, had far more all round ability than Tinnion ever did and, as a consequence, played most of their careers in the top division.

Tinnion's "one trick" of being able to hit a pass to pretty much any area of the pitch with accuracy is pretty ###### impressive in my book.

You're completely wrong about there being not so much as an enquiry from top grade clubs, in fact there were several over several seasons including two hard cash offers which were rejected.

You're also completely wrong about Gerry Gow playing in the top division for most of his career.

In Tinnion's prime he was the best midfielder in the lower leagues and had he stepped up (and he didn't both through his choice and our club's choice) he could have played at least at the top of the Championship for several years.

Nonsense!!

Why?

I can't really think of many players in our recent history that have played for as many years with such consistency and quality. Tinman right up there for me.

Maybe you can explain in more than one word why Tinman doesnt deserve to be up right up there with the best?

What a shock, one of the Bailey brothers hating on Tinnion again. Thankfully you're in the minority so you'll just have to put down your unquestionable anti-Tinnion bias to idiocy. I am intrigued though... did he nob your sister or something? Was it one of the three of you who made those phone calls?

Tinnion's "one trick" of being able to hit a pass to pretty much any area of the pitch with accuracy is pretty ###### impressive in my book.

You're completely wrong about there being not so much as an enquiry from top grade clubs, in fact there were several over several seasons including two hard cash offers which were rejected.

You're also completely wrong about Gerry Gow playing in the top division for most of his career.

In Tinnion's prime he was the best midfielder in the lower leagues and had he stepped up (and he didn't both through his choice and our club's choice) he could have played at least at the top of the Championship for several years.

Tinnion was not Premiership quality unlike many other players to pass through Ashton Gate. Gerry Gow played enough top flight football for any reasonable person to assume that he was up to the standard. If you are trying to tell me that Tinnion was a better player or even comparable to him then it is you who is "completely wrong" as you put it (you sound a bit arsey if you ask me). Who, exactly, were these top grade clubs that came in for Tinnion? I agree that he was an excellent "lower league" midfield player with a great pass when given the time to see it but there have been many far more talented players who have worn a Bristol City shirt in my opinion.

I'm not knocking Tinnion, who did a great job for the club in the circumstances, as a player. I just think that many people on here give him undeserved god like status and see his ability through rose tinted spectacles. Andy Llewellyn played for the club for about 73 years, was as committed a player as you could ever see wearing the shirt and yet you hardly hear a word said about the bloke.

A great servant, a fantastic player and by all accounts a real good bloke. He deserves to come back to Ashton Gate for his applause and chants from the supporters.

First game of the season or for one of the big games, Southampton or something? It would be great to show our real appreciation for such a wonderful player. The way his reign went and ended was sickening, but we had to get rid to go forward, he knows that.

Get him down there on the pitch, a real legend, for lack of a better word.

Firstly, where have I ever said that I hated Tinnion?

I happen to think that he was hugely overated as a player, and a massive failure as a manager. I am lucky enough to have seen far better players playing for City since I started watching in 67/68, who, in my opinion, deserve legendary status more than Tinnion.

Secondly, Minority or not (?), I have as much right to an opinion as you. Just because mine is different to yours, does that make me an idiot? How very small minded of you.

Thirdly, we don't have a sister!!

Finally, I'm not too sure what phone calls you're on about, perhaps you could enlighten me, but what I do know is that RichieB was banned from this forum for making "suggestions/innuendos" like you have now. You may know of us, but you obviously don't know us.

And one final thought, Is it purely coincidence, that the first "Tinnion free" season results in promotion?!! :noexpression:

Can someone somewhere find the link to an alledged article that quoted Tinnion saying something along the lines of not caring about City anymore as he wasnt there..

During his Team Bath stint last year.

Wouldnt mind a quick look at that, seeing as people were in a bit of uproar at the time if I recall correctly.

Can someone somewhere find the link to an alledged article that quoted Tinnion saying something along the lines of not caring about City anymore as he wasnt there..

During his Team Bath stint last year.

Wouldnt mind a quick look at that, seeing as people were in a bit of uproar at the time if I recall correctly.

Yes i heard the interview about 6-9 months ago after a team bath game he was asked "i suppose when you finish a game now, you go straight into the changing room to see how City got on" i was astonished in the bitterness of his voice when he replied"no, i owe that club nothing, i gave them 10 years of my life and i have moved on" its a shame he feels that way but if that is his attitude he can **** off, i had a lot of respect for him before that interview but we did get an insight into how bitter he can be when he whinged about Danny Wilson getting an ovation when he returned to AG as MK dons manager, personally i hope he returns to AG one day in some capacity a less bitter man and i will certainly clap him for his 10 years service. ps Gerry Gow was the best midfielder we ever had at Ag no-one else comes close

Yes i heard the interview about 6-9 months ago after a team bath game he was asked "i suppose when you finish a game now, you go straight into the changing room to see how City got on" i was astonished in the bitterness of his voice when he replied"no, i owe that club nothing, i gave them 10 years of my life and i have moved on" its a shame he feels that way but if that is his attitude he can **** off, i had a lot of respect for him before that interview but we did get an insight into how bitter he can be when he whinged about Danny Wilson getting an ovation when he returned to AG as MK dons manager, personally i hope he returns to AG one day in some capacity a less bitter man and i will certainly clap him for his 10 years service. ps Gerry Gow was the best midfielder we ever had at Ag no-one else comes close

That sounds about right as I recall.

Talented footballer or not, he never emphasised much personality or passion and he did himself no favours that day.

I like to think of a City legend as one that loves City and always will, a la Mr Murray!

That sounds about right as I recall.

Talented footballer or not, he never emphasised much personality or passion and he did himself no favours that day.

I like to think of a City legend as one that loves City and always will, a la Mr Murray!

Agree with you totally, Murray is an out and out good guy who will have the time of day for anyone, another player who gives a lot of time to the fans, especially the kids, is Basso, i heard a story that after the Rotherham game he saw a group of young fans and told them to be at AG the next morning & he would give them a few souvenires and true to his word he was there on the dot handing out gifts to about half a dozen young supporters, class.

Why?

I can't really think of many players in our recent history that have played for as many years with such consistency and quality. Tinman right up there for me.

Maybe you can explain in more than one word why Tinman doesnt deserve to be up right up there with the best?

Billy Wedlock, and John Atyeo, both represented their country, at full international level. I'm not too sure about Wedlock, but Atyeo certainly represented England whilst playing lower league football.. In my eyes Legend.

There are other numerous players I have witnessed over my 40 years of watching City, who were far better than Tinnion, too many to mention, although to name but just a few: Derrick, Sharpe, Gow, Ritchie, Garland (played for free), Tainton, Mann, Cheesley, Drysdale, Merrick, Hunter, Walsh. The latter probably being the best left footed player seen at Ashton Gate in the last 15-20 years.

In my opinion, he doesn't come close to any of the above, and to be thought of in the same esteem as Wedlock and Atyeo is complete lunacy.

Absolutely spot on. And yet a guy like Andy Llewellyn who gave the club everything he had over a long period and, when you speak to him, wants the club to do well, never gets a single mention from anybody. Typical of the double standards you get on here from posters who are so far up their own backsides that they like to tell you that you are "completely wrong" and make ridiculous accusations against other posters (just for having a different opinion!!). If you want to talk about legends then start with someone like Terry Cooper who took over this club when it was on it's knees and got us going again - something that took a lot of hard work. Or how about the Ashton Eight - surely they have more right to legendary status than Tinnion does - they did more in one afternoon for City than Tinnion did in his whole career. And you speak to Merrick, Garland and Sweeney - people who could rightly have had some bitterness towards the club - they all want City to do well.

Tinnion is no legend to me. Just a good passer of a ball who played well in the lower leagues for his decent wages over a long period and then totally failed as a manager. A shame he couldn't hack it due to his popularity but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Just returned from a weekend in Spain and I can confirm that Tinman was on my flight from Bristol Airport on Friday morning. I was going to go and say hello whilst waiting for my bags at Malaga Airport but he looked a bit busy trying to settle his babber down, so I left him alone!

Anyway, yep the fella is a city legand and I certainly wish him all the best.

Absolutely spot on. And yet a guy like Andy Llewellyn who gave the club everything he had over a long period and, when you speak to him, wants the club to do well, never gets a single mention from anybody. Typical of the double standards you get on here from posters who are so far up their own backsides that they like to tell you that you are "completely wrong" and make ridiculous accusations against other posters (just for having a different opinion!!). If you want to talk about legends then start with someone like Terry Cooper who took over this club when it was on it's knees and got us going again - something that took a lot of hard work. Or how about the Ashton Eight - surely they have more right to legendary status than Tinnion does - they did more in one afternoon for City than Tinnion did in his whole career. And you speak to Merrick, Garland and Sweeney - people who could rightly have had some bitterness towards the club - they all want City to do well.

Tinnion is no legend to me. Just a good passer of a ball who played well in the lower leagues for his decent wages over a long period and then totally failed as a manager. A shame he couldn't hack it due to his popularity but that's the way it goes sometimes.

TOTALLY AGREE!

Brian Tinnion was a very good lower league player and did well for City in generally otherwise overall poor teams, As a player he was involved in one promotion, endless failed promotion and two relegations, very good player for division 3 and that's it, Legend - NO

Tinnion for me will be looked back in the same vein as forementioned Llewellyn and Rob Newman (and maybe Gary Shelton) alot of people who are judging Tinnion and calling him a legend are younger people and base this on others players they have seen play for City in their relevtively short football supporting lives, it's not their fault, but Legend is still not the right word.

Would Tinnion in his prime been good enough to get into the Team that gained promotion to Division One - Not on your nelly!

ASHTON GATE 8 - All LEGENDS - for non footballing reasons and players who saved this club.

Wedlock and Atyeo - LEGENDS - Bristol City Players who played for their country ENGLAND while at City.

I think the fair way to put it is, Brian Tinnion - Best player since the start of the 90's

also judging on some of the other comments about Tinnion, wasn't really too much Serious interest in him while he was at City, however do remember when he was out of favour at City, he went to Port Vale on Trial when he was trying to move on and came back with his tail between his legs.

Going back to his interview after leaving City, bitterness or not, he made it VERY CLEAR that he clearly saw City as a "job" and toward the end of his disassocation from the club, became a very sad and petty man, having a pop at everyone from the players, the chairman and THE FANS

Finally regarding getting Tinnion back on the pitch, NO - not while Johnson is in charge, whether any invitation is offered, for Tinnion to accept such a invite and accept a good reception would be very hypocritical, he had a right pop at the fans for giving Wilson a good reception considering "his years of failure" for Tinnion to do the same any time soon would be daft,

3/4 years time maybe time for Tinnion to come back, but right now, No Ta,

also judging on some of the other comments about Tinnion, wasn't really too much Serious interest in him while he was at City, however do remember when he was out of favour at City, he went to Port Vale on Trial when he was trying to move on and came back with his tail between his legs.

Going back to his interview after leaving City, bitterness or not, he made it VERY CLEAR that he clearly saw City as a "job" and toward the end of his disassocation from the club, became a very sad and petty man, having a pop at everyone from the players, the chairman and THE FANS

Finally regarding getting Tinnion back on the pitch, NO - not while Johnson is in charge, whether any invitation is offered, for Tinnion to accept such a invite and accept a good reception would be very hypocritical, he had a right pop at the fans for giving Wilson a good reception considering "his years of failure" for Tinnion to do the same any time soon would be daft,

3/4 years time maybe time for Tinnion to come back, but right now, No Ta,

Agree with you, for once.

As a younger fan, I saw nothing of Tinnion to make me wet my pants with excitement, was a pretty boring, dull player, but one I could quite happily applaud and support, however that went out the window after a few misguided comments aimed at BCFC.

The word ''Legend'' is certainly over used and I think as soon as debate is raised concerning ones status then a legend they are not.

Legend = irrefutable. e.g. Churchill, Elvis, Best, Maradonna.

AG8, Wedlock, Atyeo.

Still, all the best Tinman.

Argee with many others, decent player, who spent the vast majority of his career here and did play alot of games for the club, however just playing for a club for 10 years doesn't really make you a legend in my book unless you have had success at the club, something that Tinnion hasn't apart from one promotion season, which was then overshadowed by a quick relegation when alot of senior players "professionalism" was called into question.

He did have an impact at the club, such as the goal at liverpool, but to be honest, prior to Wilson joining City and moving him into Central Midfield, I don't really see what all the fuss was about.

Players such as Martin Scott, Darren Barnard, Jim Brennan all prospered playing alongside him, however still did well when they gained moves to bigger or higher leagued clubs,

Good player no the less, but agree will be looked at in the same vien as Andy L and Rob Newman, good servants, but not legends

Archived