IGNORED

Darren Caskey

Ian M

• Admin

Ok, I'll admit that earlier today the prospect of signing Caskey didn't actually fill me with a great deal of optimism (the less said about my poll the better ^_^).

I think the main reason for my trepidation was the fact that for several years now he has underperformed and Notts County fans claim that his personal fitness is probably the likely cause of this.

However, then he was playing in, to be fair, a team of no-hopers. Granted a team of no hopers that usually got a result against us at Meadow Lane, but a team of no-hopers nonetheless. Now whilst this is admittedly not a good trait to show, could he be guilty of falling into the trap of knowing he was easily better than the rest of their options so needn't keep himself in shape?

Caskey in his prime was definitely one of the best players outside the Premiership, he's another one of those midfielders that has scored 20+ goals in a season, but even in his prime he still carried a bit of extra weight about him. I remember (Jimmy?) Quinn at Newcastle & Pompey(?) used to carry extra weight too, but he was class and Maradonna/Ronaldo were/are hardly the slimmest players.

Now who's to say that having joined a club with better rivals for a first team shirt and a promotion challenge to pursue, Darren won't find the motivation to get himself in shape sooner rather than later. He's banned for 2 weeks initially so that gives him the oppurtunity to shed a few pounds before using a couple of sub appearances to get into proper match fitness. IF we require the play-off route to go up, we may just benefit from having a Darren Caskey just approaching his best form of the last few years, :laugh:

....or am I just trying to convince myself??? :ph34r:

• Admin

Had Caskey remained the only signing I suspect I'd have remained a little miffed at the decision (ok a lot!) as I really felt we needed players in other positions ahead of the Central Midfield role. But, having filled the major "right-wing" role, I'm quite happy to have picked up an experienced central midfield option as well for the games ahead.

• Admin
Totally agree Madger, hopefully he will be a great asset during the run-in

And it was Mickey Quinn at Newcastle and Pompey who carried a 'few' extra pounds.

Cheers for that ciderred. I just remember the 'tash! :ph34r:

Guest smirnoffred

Agreed with all points raised,

It is all too easy to slate a player who has not been performing, but in another side with different players, and dare i say it motivation to get out of this division, we may see a better player.

I must admit when we tried to sign him a couple of seasons back, i was 100% behind the idea, and thought he would be an excellent addititon to the squad. Perhaps he is a little overweight now but who knows he may regain the motivation to become a top player agian.

The jury is out on Caskey, and same applies for Rougier. Let's hope for our sake they do the business.

At the end of the day it has lifted me, and hopefully has had the same effect on the team.

Come on you reds

His signing makes me wonder whose place Caskey could threaten - Wilkshire or Tinnion seem the most likely candidates.

Now with Caskey unavailable for two games that'll give both Wilkshire and Tinnion time to get back to thier best - even if they are not playing in their favoured positions.I reckon the mere pressence of Caskey will prove to be a great motivator.

• Admin
Agreed with all points raised,

It is all too easy to slate a player who has not been performing, but in another side with different players, and dare i say it motivation to get out of this division, we may see a better player.

I must admit when we tried to sign him a couple of seasons back, i was 100% behind the idea, and thought he would be an excellent addititon to the squad. Perhaps he is a little overweight now but who knows he may regain the motivation to become a top player agian.

The jury is out on Caskey, and same applies for Rougier. Let's hope for our sake they do the business.

At the end of the day it has lifted me, and hopefully has had the same effect on the team.

Come on you reds

Not forgetting the fact that both are out of contract and therefore jobless in just two months time so have little time to impress. Surely there's never been a greater motivator than that?

Caskey was/can be good player - we were interested in him before!

We've not paid anythin and were he's only contracted til the end of the season, so if he isnt up to scratch we've lost nothin - If he plays well he be a good signing!

.........and Tinnion !!!!!!!!

Did you omit him on favourtism alone, or do you have a sound reason ?

i left tinman out because I'm his illagitamate (sp) son....

i left him because he has scored the most from midfiled me thinks and tends to get about 7 goals a season which is more than burnell and doherty together......

Murray hasn't really been playing well in the Reading team either, but everyone still wants him.
Murray scored twice for Reading reserves just last night. It is a bit tricky to play well when you are not being picked. No super-Scoot is back, and this time he's staying.

I've just heard a story that when we went top of the league against Grimsby, Scot was listening on the radio (just about able to Get Radio Briz in Hungerford apparently). When we scored he jumped up and smashed a glass lampshade with his head. When his wife gave him a rollicking he just said "I couldnee care less, City are top o' the league".

Now what City fan wouldn't have done the same? I nearly cracked my skull on the ceiling when I heard he was back.

Credit where it is due Danny and Steve, if we don't do it now, the players need a long look at themselves.

The proof of the pudding (sorry, Darren :ph34r: )

What I mean is, let's see.

One thing's for sure, my trip to PV will be in expectation as well as hope....and that's a bonus in itself.

I've posted my bit on the signings and I broadly welcome them.Caskey will be out for the next two games I presume and then, in my view, used as cover for BT & TD or an impact player-20 min sub.

I hope to God it works and we get out of this division.

That will create nice problems, like who do we keep and my honest answer is, not many.Still, that's for another day.

I think people were none to chuffed with the idea of Darren Caskey when they knew we needed more.

That fellas is what we got!!

I reckon Rougier is a good player and will cause defences problems, Caskey has been a class act and is only 29, no reason why it won't happen. Oh yeah we got the cheeky little Scottish bloke back, he never wanted to leave and we didn't want him to leave.

3 points at the Vale of Port please.

Almost time to leave our home dock! :ph34r:

hello sid.

Murray scored twice for Reading reserves just last night. It is a bit tricky to play well when you are not being picked. No super-Scoot is back, and this time he's staying.

I've just heard a story that when we went top of the league against Grimsby, Scot was listening on the radio (just about able to Get Radio Briz in Hungerford apparently). When we scored he jumped up and smashed a glass lampshade with his head. When his wife gave him a rollicking he just said "I couldnee care less, City are top o' the league".

Now what City fan wouldn't have done the same? I nearly cracked my skull on the ceiling when I heard he was back.

Credit where it is due Danny and Steve, if we don't do it now, the players need a long look at themselves.

Me....... never underestimate a City fan............ :ph34r:

Caskey when he were at Reading was a class act. Think I'm right in saying he got 20 goals in 2000 from centre mid. Its a good season but I'm wondering where he's going to fit in. Tins and Doc are 1st choice in his position so maybe DW has got the idea of resureccting 3-5-2 for the run in, with Doc, Tins and Caskey in the engine room.

Great story about Murray Ciderjar!

This is of course assuming that Caskey and Rougier get anywhere near the side.

Remember we signed Tony Hey (or should that be Tony Who?!?) last year on the same basis and peopled forgot he was even there... I guess they're effectively trialists, who could turn out for the first team if needed..? :ph34r:

Guest Royalsfan
Caskey when he were at Reading was a class act. Think I'm right in saying he got 20 goals in 2000 from centre mid. Its a good season but I'm wondering where he's going to fit in. Tins and Doc are 1st choice in his position so maybe DW has got the idea of resureccting 3-5-2 for the run in, with Doc, Tins and Caskey in the engine room.

Great story about Murray Ciderjar!

Caskey had 1 good season in 5 at Reading.

He's over-weight

over-rated

and over-paid.

Gotta say, I'm less than enthralled with Caskey being here, another over weight over rated over the hill chancer, thankfully he wont be here long. Rougier, I think will be a better addition to the squad, as a squad player.

And realistically, Scotty may not have the season like last when he starts. He also may take time to bed in. The one thing he will do is raise morale, especially with Robbo, Lee M, and Tins, as it will help take the pressure off them, by being able to have two lots of quality balls into em. Mickey Bell may add something as well, now Scotty is back.

But above all, he may not be a saviour, cos I've no doubt some of you will turn on him if we play badly over the next few games. Fact is after Pardew left he didnt set Reading alight, but Reading did buy him, under Pardew. And some of you Reading lot did rate him.

Saturday will be interesting to say the least. roll on 03/04, when Scotty makes his home debut, and what a game to start in, too.

I feel a lot better now, dont kid yourselves we aint out of the woods yet, but it sure looks a lot more likely now. DW, you have no more excuses, your team must do the biz, now. I cant even listen to the game tomorrow, as I'm ###### working too, but i'll be there for QPR!!

Come on you Reeeeeeeeeeeeds..

Cider- Red for life!!

My thoughts are like others really.

If we can get the best out of Caskey it will be a good aquisition, I was less than thrilled with the signing when I first learnt about it but the fact that he is playing for a contract either here or somewhere else surely means that he will be motivated.

We know he can pass a ball and take a free-kick so if he does perform he could well be an asset. If not, its no big loss as we can just let him go no questions asked.

i left him because he has scored the most from midfiled me thinks and tends to get about 7 goals a season which is more than burnell and doherty together......

Tinnion has 2 this season-or was the Peterborough goal credited as an og?

Burnell has 1, Doherty has 2. Wilkshire also I believe 2 possibly more.

your maths dont add up!

Archived