IGNORED

Remaining Targets

tin

With the players due to come back for pre-season next week, I was hoping we would have most of our transfer targets in place by now so that they would have time to settle in and get used to each other, style of play etc.

Varney and Iwelumo have since gone to Charlton, Porter to Motherwell, Hawley to Preston, Hoolahan to Blackpool, Jarvis to Wolves, Leon Best seems destined for Coventry as does Billy Sharp with any of four Championship big guns.

The Naismith, Pospisil and DJ Campbell links seem to have gone cold then of course there's David Healy who will probably wind up at Craven Cottage. Seemingly, that doesn't leave us with much to work with.

A lot of conjecture was put on here when we finally got promoted and of most of the names bandied around back in May, who realistically is left for us to go for? I can only think of recently released Danny Graham, formerly of Boro, and Izale McLeod as original names that have yet to move on...

With the players due to come back for pre-season next week, I was hoping we would have most of our transfer targets in place by now so that they would have time to settle in and get used to each other, style of play etc.

Varney and Iwelumo have since gone to Charlton, Porter to Motherwell, Hawley to Preston, Hoolahan to Blackpool, Jarvis to Wolves, Leon Best seems destined for Coventry as does Billy Sharp with any of four Championship big guns.

The Naismith, Pospisil and DJ Campbell links seem to have gone cold then of course there's David Healy who will probably wind up at Craven Cottage. Seemingly, that doesn't leave us with much to work with.

A lot of conjecture was put on here when we finally got promoted and of most of the names bandied around back in May, who realistically is left for us to go for? I can only think of recently released Danny Graham, formerly of Boro, and Izale McLeod as original names that have yet to move on...

when was david healy ever a realistic target?

We've got about 100,000 other clubs to pic from, stop worrying..

We've got about 100,000 other clubs to pic from, stop worrying..

Agreed really.

If someone said 'Ivan Sproule' 6 weeks ago we'd probably all say 'Never heard of him, must be crap'.

If there are 2 other bids lodged, one at least must be a striker, and chances are he's an unknown entity, which could and probably will work to our advantage.

I'm trying to remember back to our signings last year and I can't remember there was a long saga over any of them, which perhaps indicates that whereas some club's transfers seem to be long, drawn out affairs ours are kept under wraps until we are ready to confirm the deal is done.

I am not a bit worried. Everyone involved with Bristol City knows that signings are needed and I'm positive that the right ones will be made. I really think its patience that we need, the signings will happen.

which of these players mentioned were definate targets for gary?

all these names have been mentioned on the forum, but might never of crossed johnsons mind.

we could have 2 or 3 little gems lined up for next week

I wasn't saying that the names I mentioned were genuine targets for GJ, everyone knows he keeps his cards close to his chest. I'm just saying that I wonder who's left of the names that were bandied around by various people on here.

Last year, asides from Lee Johnson and Jamie McAllister, all of our transfers were in place by the time pre-season came around. I hope you're right about 2 or 3 little gems for next week, just trying to narrow down the field of potential targets, that's all!

I don't ever remember saying I'm worried about the lack of activity in this thread, just tyring to provoke a debate as to who could be left out of the targets listed on here in May...

I think it still looks likely that Finnbargason (spelling??!!) could be a possible signing that wouldnt be untill after the Latvia tour at least when he joins us. Its almost surprised me that no players from Yeovil have been linked with us or any other club really particulary Cohen and Davies. Perhaps with Sproule signing maybe Davies wudnt be worthwhile but as Skuse is possibly a link for Reading, maybe Cohen could be a replacement in mind. Many say Artus is the future replacement but seeing as Johnson hasnt brought him into the 1st team, I cant see him being the present replacement so he'd have to bring someone in as Noble, Russell and Johnson wouldnt be enough.

I think Johnson may also bring in a versatile left footed defender / wing back as Fontaine is our only real cover for left back and we've all seen his problems there really. Him and Keogh will be center back cover so at least 1 defender will come in.

Upfront the Popisil talk has died dwon but does that really mean a deal is dead? Everyone knows Johnson likes keeping thingds quiet and with all the paper talk that was around at the time, maybe other clubs got interested and pushed the price up? He could just be waiting for the initial frantic transfers to die down so we don't pay stupid prices with it being well known we now have a chairman who apparently has £80 million availible. Izale McLoud looks destined to leave really having stayed 1 year to see how mad dog got on, who now has gone to Leicester, and I don't think he'll want another year in League 2. Having said that, with only lower league experience in recent years is he good enough for the Championship?

Grote again could be another signing as we're all aware of Citys problems on the left. Although Wilson started looking good there towards the end of the season, I think he could eventually become our new right back if Orr struggles as he did against higher league opposition with Coventry and Middlesborugh.

I wouldnt want DJ Campbell as iv never been totally convinced with him and other names banded about (Healy etc) are way off the mark as Johnson does tend to go for players that arent very well known or certainly not linked with a host of other clubs. I think the majority of signings will come from abroad or Scotland as everyone is aware of the high prices in the english league, although Lansdown obviously has money, hes pretty much said that he wont make stupid big signings like last time, wants to keep the bank healthy and wants to consolidate Citys positon in the Championship before pushing on.

Well I know I'll get slated but - I'm hopeful Naismith is still a possibility, I think it's significant that he hasn't gone anywhere yet and we're still "on hold" bringing in a goalscorer

my reasons:

1)We KNOW GJ was/is interested - Sexstone admitted we had spoke to Kilmarnock

2)Celtic have been signing experienced European players for the Champions League and Rangers latest offer was rejected by

Killie (£700K half now, half in 12 months)

So - Reserve football or bench for Naismith at Celtic - & Rangers won't pay the money + would be bench at best there also

3)No one else has been linked with him (not even Wolves)

4)Killie are willing to sell - when they rejected the £700k they said was still not enough but between the lines it appeared that £1 - £1.5M would be acceptable

5)No Prem clubs have been linked with him, no other SPL clubs have the money, so if doesn't want to sit on the bench at the Old Firm (as he was quoted as saying) then it's Championship.

6)He (or his agent) hasn't ruled us out

7)I would guess City value him at £800 - £1M max - maybe Johnson is waiting to see what happens and if Killie will drop to a more realistic price (£800/£1M plus add ons for 20 goals, staying up etc) if and when the Old Firm clubs drop out.

8)Maybe Naismith would be tempted if he could have a clause that says he could leave if a Prem club came in and bid a certain amount plus an escape clause if relegated - that way he wouldn't block his route to the prem if he improved enough at City to attract the really big clubs.

9)Latham implied in the Sunday Independent that City's next signing would be from the SPL

10) Perhaps we're waiting for Skuse to move to Reading (£1M in/ £1M out)

I know it all guesses - but I believe Johnson is still trying for him - If Naismith in fact goes to Rangers then I expect Johnson to quickly move for another target that he has lined up. Either way I think we're still in for him - until he goes somewhere else, if that makes sense!.

CodeRed

No idea as to the validity of this, but it is believable... I was told yesterday that it had been reported on the radio that Andy Cole was coming for talks. It is a realistic target though. Apparently the "radio story" was that he was given the chance to speak to Forest and City and we were the ones that he'd prefer to come to. Anyone else heard this?

Of course, my bro may have been making this up to get me at it and is now waiting for me to post it on here! Who knows....

No idea as to the validity of this, but it is believable... I was told yesterday that it had been reported on the radio that Andy Cole was coming for talks. It is a realistic target though. Apparently the "radio story" was that he was given the chance to speak to Forest and City and we were the ones that he'd prefer to come to. Anyone else heard this?

Of course, my bro may have been making this up to get me at it and is now waiting for me to post it on here! Who knows....

He's a card your brother eh......... :winner_third_h4h:

I think that Naismith is waiting for Rangers to up the bid and or change the way the money is paid, as soon as this happens then he will leave.

Look at it this way: As a City supporter who lives in The West, would you as a succesful player, who is wanted by City and you say play for Cheltenham, would you wait for City to come back with another offer that your (selling club, e.g Cheltenham) finds more acceptable or move a few hundered miles away from your family sacrificing a dream move to the club of your choice to play for a relative unknown in a league that has no European places and is out of sight and mind of the mind of your international manager. No, you would probably hold on and wait to see what happens with that club, will they up the offer or change the way the fee is paid, you certainly wouldnt move to the other end of Britain to play for XYC FC.

You may even stay at your current club and move in January afterall, we know Naismith is prepared to do this.

I think the Naismith deal is still on, apparently we've had a bid accepted and we've just got to wait and see what his decision is. Yes rangers would be his dream, but at the same time he doesnt want to be sitting on the bench, so presumably he's weighing up the pros and cons and will come up with a decision in the next 9 weeks.

Maybe his decision will also be the deciding factor in the Popsicil deal

I think the Naismith deal is still on, apparently we've had a bid accepted and we've just got to wait and see what his decision is. Yes rangers would be his dream, but at the same time he doesnt want to be sitting on the bench, so presumably he's weighing up the pros and cons and will come up with a decision in the next 9 weeks.

Maybe his decision will also be the deciding factor in the Popsicil deal

Not wishing to go mental about such a suggestion, but hundreds of us have been waiting to hear we have a bid accepted for Naismith, the only quote we have seen is that a discussion has taken place. How do you know that a bid is accepted?

Si.

Not wishing to go mental about such a suggestion, but hundreds of us have been waiting to hear we have a bid accepted for Naismith, the only quote we have seen is that a discussion has taken place. How do you know that a bid is accepted?

Si.

I've not been told anything, it's more an educated guess reading press releases and reading between the lines on a certain member on here.

Naismith - I reckon we offered £1.25m for Naismith but with Celtic and Rangers sniffing it was rejected - but in light of Celtic no longer being interested adn Rangers only offering £750k - it probably is acceptable with a tweak to sell on clauses goals scored promotion (:laugh:) etc...

Naismith is probably hoping to hope that Rangers come back with a btter or revised offer in terms of all of it up front with add on etc...

If Naismith is adament about joining Rangers then Killie will have to accept the inevitable and let him go now or in January.

Too much speculation but in the absense of news then we can only expect such speculation.

There could be any number of players that Johnson is interested in that we know nothing about.Stop worrying!

There could be any number of players that Johnson is interested in that we know nothing about.Stop worrying!

Did you see my second post on this thread where I said, and I quote...

I don't ever remember saying I'm worried about the lack of activity in this thread, just tyring to provoke a debate as to who could be left out of the targets listed on here in May...
...?

I wouldn't be at all surpirsed if we've still got a bid on the table for Naismith but it seems pretty clear that he's holding out for Rangers to do something and it's probably them or nothing for him.

Archived